Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Since the contest has been extended, can I do some touch ups on my map? Some things had to be rushed a bit due to the time limit. :eek:

Krall

Banned
Since the contest has been extended, can I do some touch ups on my map? Some things had to be rushed a bit due to the time limit. :eek:

Yes - you can make edits before the deadline. Remember to tell me when you do it though, as there have been occasions where people have made edits that disqualify their entries, which has then gone unnoticed until I check the entries as I'm posting the new voting thread. :)

Why no more contest for this year, and when will the next contest start?

There's always a hiatus over Christmas, because people are generally much too busy preparing for Christmas/partying/eating their own weight in chocolate, etc., and the next contest will begin in early January - probably on the 5th or the 12th.

Krall

Banned
Are we allowed to depict the evolution of an individual sub-national entity?

Hmm... it depends on the sub-national entity. If it's something like a US state, where it has partial sovereignty, then I'd say it counts. I'm not sure if something like Scotland, which has a devolved parliament with a lot of powers but no actual sovereignty, would count though, and a relatively powerless sub-national entity like a county or a province wouldn't count.

Another idea for a challenge, best suited for a monther instead of a fortnight:

Mannahatta Underground
Create an alternate rapid transit network for the site of OTL New York City.

Why? Because the NYC Subway is an especially confusing mess that could only arise this way because 1) the "hilly land" (the namesake of Mannahatta or later Manhattan) was thoroughly flattened by land reclamation to fit it into a chess grid, 2) the subway was built in a time when tunneling technology yet had to make the rock-hard soil there accessible for digging and the subway was therefore built around it rather than through it, 3) because it's a hodgepodge of rivaling maiden networks and therefore quite the opposite of a beautiful model made from scratch.

Krall

Banned
Another idea for a challenge, best suited for a monther instead of a fortnight:

Why? Because the NYC Subway is an especially confusing mess that could only arise this way because 1) the "hilly land" (the namesake of Mannahatta or later Manhattan) was thoroughly flattened by land reclamation to fit it into a chess grid, 2) the subway was built in a time when tunneling technology yet had to make the rock-hard soil there accessible for digging and the subway was therefore built around it rather than through it, 3) because it's a hodgepodge of rivaling maiden networks and therefore quite the opposite of a beautiful model made from scratch.

That's very specific - I can't see a wide variety of maps being entered for that one.

I'm not sure why you think it's more suited for a MotM round rather than a normal round, but I already have an idea for a MotM round in 2014 (I don't have a specific challenge; suffice it to say that it will be something special ;) ).

Anyway, there are a couple of things I'd like to mention/talk about. Firstly, the contest roundels - I haven't yet made the roundels for MotFs 87 to 90, though I've got a decent start on the one for MotF 87. I'm sorry I got so behind, but the roundels seemed rather easy to make at first, only for my personal high standards to get in the way and make me worry about them/want to continually up my game and make increasingly elaborate and difficult roundels. The fact that I'm struggling with my anxiety issues at the moment doesn't help, nor does the fact that I've gotten involved in AH.com's NationStates community and SpanishSpy's creative server community (which is partially made up of AH.commers), so I have other, admittedly self-imposed responsibilities to worry about too.

So, yes, sorry about that. I'm planning to focus on these creative things in the next week or two, which should let me catch up with the backlog of roundels and victory announcements. I'm not sure that making roundels in future will get much easier for me though (heck, I stay at home all day, have no job, and very rarely see my friends and I'm still struggling with it), so if anyone wants to help and is decent with Inkscape or a similar program, I'd appreciate it. I can clean up/update and reupload the template if, indeed, anyone is willing to have a go at it.

Another quick thing I'd like to ask you fellows about is the entry period beginning/deadline. It's officially midnight on Saturday (that is, at the end of Saturday), but it has evolved a bit and is now "when I get 'round to posting the new threads on Sunday". Considering that, I think it'd make sense (and be a bit less confusing) for the beginning/deadline to *officially* be when the new threads are posted on Sunday. I know it's a minor change that ultimately just results in little more than a slight rewording of the opening post for the entry threads, but I thought I'd run it by you all the same. All in favour/against?

Also, just to make this Proper and Official:

MotF 90: Not Built in a Day has been extended. The new deadline is Saturday the 28th of December.

Oh, and, Merry Christmas. :)

OK, I'll propose an easier challenge:

Domino Effect
Make a map of the process and/or aftermath of a quick series of uprisings, successful or not, in several countries that share a common trait for the domino effect to work.

Archetypical examples include the Arab Spring of 2011 and the Revolutions of 1989 in Central and Eastern Europe, but also the Latin American wars of independence.

Happy Holidays!
Make a map of showing which holiday is most popular in a region, or the world if you want. Alternatively, make a map showing the level of popularity of a single holiday.

Irredenta! - make a map showing a nation's (or group, be it political or ethnic, within said nation) territorial aspirations

Here is an example from OTL:

We had one like that quite a while back (What Once Was Ours IIRC). Might be long enough ago that it could be rerun though.

Krall

Banned
Hello, and a belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :D

Okay that's enough celebrating - it's time to get back to the entirely serious business of making fancy maps of things that never happened. We need to choose a challenge for MotF 91, but first I have some announcements to make:

The Turtledove Awards

The nomination period for the annual Turtledove Awards has recently begun. I've nominated a number of maps that were entered into the MotF contest in the year of 2013, but I didn't nominate all of them, and obviously I chose maps that I liked - so if you made a map in 2013 that you think should be entered into the awards' map category, head over to the nominations thread in Non-Political Chat now to nominate them (self-nominations are permitted)!

MotF 100

MotF 100 will be coming up sometime this year, and we really ought to do something special for it. Alex Richards PMed me with this idea:

The Centenary

Make a map showing the 100th anniversary of an event. This could be political boundaries 100 years afterwards (such as after the start of a war or peace treaty) or the way in which the event is being commemorated (concert locations or the like).

It's not imperative that we decide now - we've got about 4 or 5 months until MotF 100 comes up - but it would be nice to come up with some ideas ahead of time. I personally like Alex's proposal, but I'm sure you fellows can think up some alternatives! :)

Map and Company of the Month Joint Contest

Early I hinted that I had something planned for a Map of the Month contest this year. You see, VT45 - overseer of the ATL Company of the Month contest - messaged me with an idea: a joint contest.

The premise is simple, a round of the CotM contest and a MotM round coincide - same challenge, same entry period, same threads, same winner (though award roundels might be MotM only). We haven't decided on a challenge for the joint contest or an exact date other than "a month this year", so both will be decided by public consensus. There's more information in the Map and Company of the Month Discussion Thread I just posted - so if you're curious, want a specific date for the contest, or have an idea for a challenge please head over there and comment!

Okay, with those announcements out of the way I'll try to come up with a list of challenge suggestions for MotF 91 - feel free to post new suggestions yourself or repost suggestions from within this thread or from the Wiki, as usual. :)

The Centenary

Does the event in question have to predate the PoD? Example: a map related to the 100th anniversary of the creation of Czechoslovakia, in a timeline where the Czechoslovaks beat Germany back in 1938 (with a little help from others) and then lived happily ever after?

Krall

Banned
Does the event in question have to predate the PoD? Example: a map related to the 100th anniversary of the creation of Czechoslovakia, in a timeline where the Czechoslovaks beat Germany back in 1938 (with a little help from others) and then lived happily ever after?

No - the event could be before or after the PoD. :)

Proposal:

First You Get De Money (Working Title)

Make a map showing, er...something to do with an ATL illegal or legally dubious enterprise. A real life example would be a map showing which country-code domains The Pirate Bay has used, or this map.

Krall

Banned
Proposal:

First You Get De Money (Working Title)

Make a map showing, er...something to do with an ATL illegal or legally dubious enterprise. A real life example would be a map showing which country-code domains The Pirate Bay has used, or this map.

Nice idea, though the wording (and title) are going to need some refining. Is the intent to show only organised crime, or just any sort of widespread criminal activity?

Anyway, I've delayed for much too long about this - though I doubt we'll be able to choose a challenge before this Sunday - so here's a list of good and popular challenge suggestions from the last few pages (though I've added in "Pastures New" from the list on the wiki, to provide more choice).

Remember you can express an opinion on any and every challenge suggestion if you want, and please feel free to suggest new challenges, or repost old challenge suggestions from within this thread, or from the list on the wiki. :)

Truth without Error

Make a map showing a world - or part of it - where the scientific method (or an equivalent) was first developed by a non-European culture.
Irredenta!

Make a map showing the territorial aspirations of a country, or a political, ethnic, or similar group.
Stepping Out Of The Shadows

Make a map showing a state that became a great power that did not become a great power in OTL
Domino Effect

Make a map of the process and/or aftermath of a quick series of uprisings, successful or not, in several countries that share a common trait for the domino effect to work.

Archetypical examples include the Arab Spring of 2011 and the Revolutions of 1989 in Central and Eastern Europe, but also the Latin American wars of independence.
Pastures New

Make a map showing an artificially created landmass.