Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Apologies. Lands of Red and Gold is a timeline by Jared where domesticated sweet potatoes and other crops are available in Australia. Which means that in terms of the challenge is that you cannot have a major civilisation emerge outside of those present in the OTL Old World. You could have a Persian descended state in OTL Mexico be the most powerful state in the world, but not a civilisation emerging around an Alternate form of domesticated rice in the Mississippi delta.

Follow me?

Ok, so a timeline were the world would be dominated by Muslim countries would be ok?

I have been searching the forums for a non-ASB scenario for a Muslim-dominated world (a Muslimwank so to speak), but have a hard time finding such scenarios.

Could someone help me on the way or better even, would be willing to spar with me about ideas to get an appropiate backstory to the map I would like to design for the challenge.

Are things like "Volcanic plume in Greenland melts ice, releases stupid amounts of cold water into North Atlantic, disrupts Gulf Stream, freezes Europe" acceptable or no? How about that old chestnut, meteor strikes and Peshawar Lancers-style disasters?

Are things like "Volcanic plume in Greenland melts ice, releases stupid amounts of cold water into North Atlantic, disrupts Gulf Stream, freezes Europe" acceptable or no? How about that old chestnut, meteor strikes and Peshawar Lancers-style disasters?

Geographic and cosmic PODs are tricky, but my ruling is this. If it is analogous to an OTL event then it is allowed, so no Peshawar Lancers meteor strikes. If you can prove that a similar event occurred then it will be considered plausible.

Same thing with plagues. I'll allow alternate plagues or earlier/later plagues if you can prove that a similar event occurred then it will be considered plausible.

That's my thoughts on the matter, I'm not sure what Krall will say though.

How about a ruling that the PoD should be the result of human action and decision, rather than an environmental factor? That would cover ASB scenarios, alternate crops and conveniently placed mega-disasters.

Geographic and cosmic PODs are tricky, but my ruling is this. If it is analogous to an OTL event then it is allowed, so no Peshawar Lancers meteor strikes. If you can prove that a similar event occurred then it will be considered plausible.

Same thing with plagues. I'll allow alternate plagues or earlier/later plagues if you can prove that a similar event occurred then it will be considered plausible.

How about a ruling that the PoD should be the result of human action and decision, rather than an environmental factor? That would cover ASB scenarios, alternate crops and conveniently placed mega-disasters.

Yeah, that's how I'm thinking about it. Any PoD involving trade and such that brought the black plauge, for instance, is going to change how that disaster happened...

Krall

Banned

I rather like tormsen's definition; only PoDs as a result of human action and decision.

By the way, Scarecrow and I were thinking about changing the date on which MoF Rounds begin and end. At present they begin and end at midnight on a Sunday, but if they began and ended at midnight on a Saturday then that means that it would be easier to update the threads and so forth (as both Scarecrow and I have work on Mondays).

As I'd rather not make this change without informing and consulting you all I thought I'd just ask your opinion of this possible change. Is there any reason why starting and ending the MoF challenges a day earlier might be inconvenient for you?

Sounds good to me. I'll make an addendum to the rules.

Krall

Banned
By the way, Scarecrow and I were thinking about changing the date on which MoF Rounds begin and end. At present they begin and end at midnight on a Sunday, but if they began and ended at midnight on a Saturday then that means that it would be easier to update the threads and so forth (as both Scarecrow and I have work on Mondays).

As I'd rather not make this change without informing and consulting you all I thought I'd just ask your opinion of this possible change. Is there any reason why starting and ending the MoF challenges a day earlier might be inconvenient for you?

What do people think of this possible change? If there's no response, I think I'll just keep the MoF dates as they are.

A prophecy not to be fulfilled
An important and vital figure of a OTL major religion didn't appear or fail in his spiritual/political, etc achievment, making this religion didn't exist, at last as we can recognize it.

The simple life
Lack of ressources made the humanity back to a pastoral-like way of life.

Krall

Banned
It doesn't seem like too big of a change, so I see no reason why not.
I think that's good. Whatever's more convenient for you guys.

In that case I see no issue with pushing the end of this round of MoF ahead to the 27th of November. Hopefully this will make up for the late start of this round.

Remember to post if you see a map challenge suggestion you like, so we know which ones will get a large turnout and which ones won't. Popular suggestions from before the posting of MoF 26 were posted in my post here.

Edit: I almost forgot, the winner of MoF 25: TO SALTED EARTH, THROUGH BURNING SKY has been decided! The honoured winner is...

rvbomally!

Before MoF 25 I honestly hadn't seen any of rvbomally's maps on here, but it has quickly become obvious that he deserves this victory and a place amongst the board's legendary Cartography-Artisans. An honourable mention goes out to Scarecrow - already a well-known map-maker on the board - whose entry came in a close second. Well done to you both, and everyone who entered in this round of the Map of the Fortnight contest!

Last edited:

KCammy

Banned
I have two suggestions for a future MOF. It probably won't become the subject of one, but anyway;

Through Desert, Ice, and Ocean - Make a map of a major, continent spanning trade route that never arose in OTL anytime between 0 AD and today. The POD must be man-made.

Reign Of The Mini-Empires - Make a map of the world, or a region of it, in which a small European nation that never had a colonial empire, owns a small, profitable one. Suggestions would be the an independent Ireland, Galicia, or even a Germanic minor. POD must be post-Columbus.

Last edited:
I have two suggestions for a future MOF. It probably won't become the subject of one, but anyway;

Through Desert, Ice, and Ocean - Make a map of a major, continent spanning trade route that never arose in OTL anytime between 0 AD and today. The POD must be man-made.

Reign Of The Mini-Empires - Make a map of the world, or a region of it, in which a small European nation that never had a colonial empire, owns a small, profitable one. Suggestions would be the an independent Ireland, Galicia, or even a Germanic minor. POD must be post-Columbus.

I rather like the first one there. It's always been an interesting concept, one that get's neglected alot, I think. Most maps with far back PoDs would need something like that, either as a result or to cause the change, but they're often not even touched upon.

Krall

Banned
I rather like the first one there. It's always been an interesting concept, one that get's neglected alot, I think. Most maps with far back PoDs would need something like that, either as a result or to cause the change, but they're often not even touched upon.

I agree, it could be an interesting challenge. If entries wouldn't have to show the whole trade route, but showed showed something relevant to the trade route (e.g. an ongoing geopolitical conflict between two nations trying to gain control of the route for their own gain, or a nation that has prospered due to the trade route) then we could get a wider range of possible maps.

Might I suggest a name change to something more poetic, like "O'er mountain, plain and sea"?

I agree, it could be an interesting challenge. If entries wouldn't have to show the whole trade route, but showed showed something relevant to the trade route (e.g. an ongoing geopolitical conflict between two nations trying to gain control of the route for their own gain, or a nation that has prospered due to the trade route) then we could get a wider range of possible maps.

Might I suggest a name change to something more poetic, like "O'er mountain, plain and sea"?

Please don't use 'O'er'! :mad:

If Stirling Never Stopped: Create a map that features a country analogous to the Domination of Draka, e.g. Large, militaristic China or over-expanding, hostile Raj. The country can be any one you choose, but cannot be South Africa or the Draka themselves. The other nations of the world can be however you want them to be in respect to the situation, but there must be a Draka-esque state involved.

One Minute to Midnight: A map showing the eve of the beginning of a devastating war.

Here Lies Arthur: Create a map of the world during or after the time when an OTL mythical figure was real in some way, e.g. King Arthur of the Britons.

Non-Entity: Create a map of the world if an important historical figure (Stalin, Churchill, Hitler, Genghis Khan) did not exist. Alternatively -

The Right Man in the Wrong Place... : Create a map showing what would happen if a different (fictional or non-fictional) person rose to prominence or influence during a time of crises or a time where that person could make all the difference in the world.