Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

It would be nicer if deadlines were more rigorously kept. I was too busy to submit anything for the previous MoF, and when I finally had some time it was already Sunday. But then I haven't been able to start anything else because I don't know what they next challenge is going to be.

Krall

Banned
For the next MOF, can you consider some of the proposals for MOF 26? There were some good and original ones.

Hmm... perhaps I could make a list of popular suggestions that are carried over between rounds?

It would be nicer if deadlines were more rigorously kept. I was too busy to submit anything for the previous MoF, and when I finally had some time it was already Sunday. But then I haven't been able to start anything else because I don't know what they next challenge is going to be.

It's going to be "Over Mountain, Plain and Sea". Sorry about the deadlines not being kept; I am maddeningly disorganised on occasion.

KCammy

Banned
Is it Okay that expecting the contest to be "Over Mountain, Plain and Sea" I made a map in advance?

Krall

Banned

Also, this bears posting here too:

Krall said:
By the way, MoF 27 is due to end on the 11th of December, which would mean that MoF 28 would end on the 25th of December. Now, clearly it's unreasonable to expect people to take time off from partying, drinking alcohol, opening presents, eating chocolates, doing illicit drugs, slowly sliding down the scale of debauchery and self-respect until they hit rock bottom and know nothing but shame and misery, and playing games in order to make maps, so I suggest we either extend MoF 28 to be three weeks (which would make it end on the 1st of January) or skip those three weeks altogether and start MoF 28 on the 2nd of January.

What do you guys think?

KCammy

Banned
I don't know if this meets the criteria or not. It's like a silk road 2.0.

I'm still toying around with effects and stuff, and I'm not sure about the cliche textbook thingy, but that's beside the point.

I just don't want to post it and find out it doesn't meet the exact criteria.

(Based on my current TL, though made specialy for the contest.)

goodsofar.png

Krall

Banned
I don't know if this meets the criteria or not. It's like a silk road 2.0.

I'm still toying around with effects and stuff, and I'm not sure about the cliche textbook thingy, but that's beside the point.

I just don't want to post it and find out it doesn't meet the exact criteria.

(Based on my current TL, though made specialy for the contest.)

I'd say that's acceptable. Please PM me questions like this in future, though, because I check my messages much more regularly than I check this thread.

I would note that the route you've specified is very similar to the routes used by the spice trade, so the route wouldn't be specifically or even predominantly used for silk trade. Perhaps instead of "the Silk Road" it could be a generic oriental trade route, or maybe "the Silk Road" would be a misnomer?

Can there be team efforts on maps? I have plenty of ideas bouncing around, but my maps.. while they tell what needs to be told, lack the pizzaz of some of the stuff I find in historical atlases.

Krall

Banned
Can there be team efforts on maps? I have plenty of ideas bouncing around, but my maps.. while they tell what needs to be told, lack the pizzaz of some of the stuff I find in historical atlases.

Hmm, I don't see why not, provided that everyone who was part of the team effort is listed in the map entry post, so that no one tries to get two map entries that they worked on posted.

Krall

Banned
Okay, so I posted this little tirade...

Krall said:
By the way, MoF 27 is due to end on the 11th of December, which would mean that MoF 28 would end on the 25th of December. Now, clearly it's unreasonable to expect people to take time off from partying, drinking alcohol, opening presents, eating chocolates, doing illicit drugs, slowly sliding down the scale of debauchery and self-respect until they hit rock bottom and know nothing but shame and misery, and playing games in order to make maps, so I suggest we either extend MoF 28 to be three weeks (which would make it end on the 1st of January) or skip those three weeks altogether and start MoF 28 on the 2nd of January.

What do you guys think?

...both in this thread and in the most recent voting thread, and no one appeared to take note of it, so I'm going to delay my decision on this matter until tomorrow. If no one posts an opinion by the time I check this thread again tomorrow I'm just going to do what I think is best.

In other news the polls for MoF 26: Guns, Germs and Steel and for MoF 21: VOX POPULI - Map duel for Honour and Glory have finished and the winners of both have been decided!

We've been waiting a long time to find out the winner of MoF 21: VOX POPULI and now, after months of waiting, the decision has finally been made. The honoured winner of MoF 21 is...

LSCatilina!

Ares96 and LSCatilina had their work cut out for them in this Map Duel as both are good map-makers. Ares96 didn't roll over, and instead delivered a great map depicting the break-up of Mexico into small "Filibuster" republics, but LSCatilina's map of a weakened and broken apart United States won in the end. Both of them deserve congratulations for your excellent contributions to this hard-fought round of Map of the Fortnight!

As mentioned previously, the voting for MoF 26: Guns, Germs and Steel has finished too, and the honoured winner is...

B_Munro!

B_Munro's talent as a map-maker lies in his ability to conjure scenarios and worlds that capture the imagination of all AH.commers. His winning entry for this round involved a technologically advanced India; a backwards, barbarous Europe; and an autocratic, Persian meritocracy. What's not to love?

Krall

Banned
So what's the good word? I don't really see the need to skip three weeks.

Well, I'm tending heavily towards skipping the next three weeks. I mean, we don't have a popular map challenge to use for another round, and I seriously doubt people will have the time needed to make decent maps, what with Christmas coming up. I'm also not about to ask people to spend their holidays making maps, because I honestly don't think many people would actually do so.

I haven't come to a decision yet but, unless I'm convinced otherwise, it looks like MoF 28 will begin on the 2nd of January.

Well, I'm tending heavily towards skipping the next three weeks. I mean, we don't have a popular map challenge to use for another round, and I seriously doubt people will have the time needed to make decent maps, what with Christmas coming up. I'm also not about to ask people to spend their holidays making maps, because I honestly don't think many people would actually do so.

I haven't come to a decision yet but, unless I'm convinced otherwise, it looks like MoF 28 will begin on the 2nd of January.

You could just give a really long challenge period. The challenge could be "make the most detailed/information rich map you can" That way all that extra time would go to good use.

Krall

Banned
You could just give a really long challenge period. The challenge could be "make the most detailed/information rich map you can" That way all that extra time would go to good use.

That's the other option, but we don't have a good map challenge idea, and the lengthened entry period probably won't give people any extra time to make a map in practical terms, what with Christmas and everything.

Here's a suggestion for MoF 28:

Imperare Orbi Universo
Make a scenario where one of the great Eurasian empires survived. Anything after the birth of Christ is allowed, but the later the better.

And kill me for bad Latin.

That's the other option, but we don't have a good map challenge idea, and the lengthened entry period probably won't give people any extra time to make a map in practical terms, what with Christmas and everything.

How is there no good challenge idea? There were a million in the old thread. I love seeing new MoF, and we just need some good old fashioned brainstorming. So here are a million ideas:

-A map showing the spread of an alternate religion (Perhaps something like the Eternal Blue Sky timeline, where a pagan religion becomes monotheistic)
-A map showing the conquests of a conqueror who didn't exist in OTL
-A map showing immigration waves in an ATL
-A map depicting a war which didn't occur in OTL(e.g. Fashoda Crisis becomes a war)

Or we could go with maps of more specific PODs, like maps of the effects of...

-Lenin survives long enough to support Trotsky as his heir
-Churchill is assassinated in 1932
-The Business Plot goes through as planned
-The USA goes to war with Germany over the Venezuela Crisis of 1902

Or we could go with the classics. Sure, they've been overdone, but you guys have some talent, so it'd be fun to see your take on....

-Nazi Victory scenario
-Confederacy wins Civil War
-American/British-wank
-Byzantine Empire survives

If people can't work over Christmas, that's one thing, but I mean come on guys, thinking of map ideas is easy!

I guess it's just that I don't really care for nor do much for Christmas so I have plenty of time for making maps. :D

Hell, we could have even done a Christmas-themed map contest over three weeks.