Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Krall

Banned
What are the rules around base maps for MotF competitions?

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean. People have entered using maps based on existing basemaps before, including the AH.com standard basemap, so if that's what you're asking about then that's definitely allowed. :)

This Too Shall Pass-Make a map showing the same region in two different time periods - one during a golden age of prosperity and power, the other during a dark age of regression and chaos. Which period comes first is up to you.
I second this.
I third it.
Fourtheded

Well, it looks like one challenge is already rather popular, but I would like to encourage people to post any new challenge ideas they have, repost any challenge ideas they liked from the Wiki list, and speak up if they see another challenge they like! :D

Insert snappy title here: A map showing the course of pivotal battle (Initial troop disposition, movements etc) Can be anything from a minor ancient skirmish to a massive world war campaign battle?

I like maps that aren't just country/world maps and you don't see an awful lot of battle maps on AH.com, but they turn up all the time in history books.

Could also show the immediate after effects of the battle (zones of control, treaty conclusions, retreats etc, Propaganda from after the battle (or from years later ala Remember the Alamo))

Krall

Banned
Insert snappy title here: A map showing the course of pivotal battle (Initial troop disposition, movements etc) Can be anything from a minor ancient skirmish to a massive world war campaign battle?

I like maps that aren't just country/world maps and you don't see an awful lot of battle maps on AH.com, but they turn up all the time in history books.

Could also show the immediate after effects of the battle (zones of control, treaty conclusions, retreats etc, Propaganda from after the battle (or from years later ala Remember the Alamo))

Not a bad idea - how about "To the Victor" for a name? Shortened from "To the victor go the spoils", which would make sense if it's a pivotal battle.

Ex Pluro Unes (Make a map of a defeated country being broken up into smaller states after a war) would be fun to do in my opinion. So very, very fun ^^

Krall

Banned
Welp, no challenge suggestion has surpassed "This Too Shall Pass" in terms of popularity, so it shall be the challenge for MotF 127!

New threads will be up shortly. :)

So, can I suggest a topic? If so, here are two ideas:

Lo, how the mighty have fallen - Show a previously powerful nation being divided up.

Or, somewhat similar...

The War Unseen - Two maps, one before a devastating war and one after.

Last edited:
Troperia Submersa
Make a map of a national, linguistic or comparable cultural community that has somehow receded.

The trope namer is of course the Romania submersa (where Latin used to be spoken but no Romance language is no longer). Another notable OTL incidence would be the absence of proper homegrown dialects of e.g. Polish and Czech at places newly settled after the expulsion of their former Germans.

Krall

Banned
So, can I suggest a topic? If so, here are two ideas:

Of course! Anyone can offer suggestions and discuss which challenges they think should be chosen for the next round. :)

Troperia Submersa
Make a map of a national, linguistic or comparable cultural community that has somehow receded.

The trope namer is of course the Romania submersa (where Latin used to be spoken but no Romance language is no longer). Another notable OTL incidence would be the absence of proper homegrown dialects of e.g. Polish and Czech at places newly settled after the expulsion of their former Germans.

The challenge text may need a bit of reworking - "national, linguistic, or comparable cultural community" is a bit confusing, and rather vague.

I assume for This Too Shall Pass where it says Make a map showing a region during two different periods the idea is in fact to make two maps, or at least two maps at different times within the same image?

The first thing my brain read it as was having to make a single map showing a region that's somehow in a quantum state of both prosperity and depression at the same time...

I assume for This Too Shall Pass where it says Make a map showing a region during two different periods the idea is in fact to make two maps, or at least two maps at different times within the same image?

The first thing my brain read it as was having to make a single map showing a region that's somehow in a quantum state of both prosperity and depression at the same time...

That would be called the People's Republic of China :p