Map Continuation 3 - Map 4 - Africa

Krall

Banned
For the dual discoveries of the New World, what would be the purpose behind these ships heading west. In OTL it was for a quicker, cheaper, & somewhat safer trade route to the Orient.

What if it goes something like this;
An Italian and Norwegian have a small trading company they formed. They have slowly been forced out by the larger companies. After several years they have a falling out, but not before they come up with the idea of sailing west to reach Asia.

They had started to get backing for the endeavor, but when the falling out happens the Norwegian takes much of their capital and goes back to Norway. The Italian man has some of the things setup, but needs more backing and works on that.

The Norwegian, upon returning to Norway, starts a new company with the money he had taken and starts to get backing for his own expedition.

Only maybe a month apart from each other are the independent discoveries of the NORTHERN and SOUTHERN continents, which both take at first to be Asia. It will take a few more years before it is realized that these are totally differnet lands from those of the Orient.

I was thinking more like Norwegian fishermen spot large islands off the coast of Iceland, the King of Norway finances an explorer to investigate the islands. It is thought that they are just big, icy islands with no real use. A few cities might be set up there, but nothing big.

Later, the Italians [who have established a few trading posts in India, and may have possibly colonised the cape [alternate Boer War, anyone?]] lose their possessions in India [and possibly the cape] to Portugal. They back an explorer who wants to find a quicker route to the Orient by going west, meaning that the Italians can out-trade Portugal.

The explorer lands in Northern Brazil/Guyana and believes the place to be Orient. After a few years, another explorer who refutes these claims finds the area to be a new, undiscovered continent.

The Norwegians hear of this new continent in the west, and sail there, landing on the Eastern coast of OTL USA.

I don't think Norway or Padania have the required resources to colonise the new world to the extent that Spain did IOTL, though.

Perhaps we could just name the Americas "The New World" or something similar in x-language? Novaterra or something?

Deleted member 4898

So for the Italian discovered south, Nuovomondo, and for the Norwegian discovered north, Nyverden.

Doesn't sound great.

I was thinking more like Norwegian fishermen spot large islands off the coast of Iceland, the King of Norway finances an explorer to investigate the islands. It is thought that they are just big, icy islands with no real use. A few cities might be set up there, but nothing big.

Later, the Italians [who have established a few trading posts in India, and may have possibly colonised the cape [alternate Boer War, anyone?]] lose their possessions in India [and possibly the cape] to Portugal. They back an explorer who wants to find a quicker route to the Orient by going west, meaning that the Italians can out-trade Portugal.

The explorer lands in Northern Brazil/Guyana and believes the place to be Orient. After a few years, another explorer who refutes these claims finds the area to be a new, undiscovered continent.

The Norwegians hear of this new continent in the west, and sail there, landing on the Eastern coast of OTL USA.

I don't think Norway or Padania have the required resources to colonise the new world to the extent that Spain did IOTL, though.

Uhn, this sounds good and plausible. The colonial war between Portugal and the Padanians is very likely and so on.

I actually think that Padania could colonize as well as Portugal IOTL, as they are very similar in size and motivation - but of course they couldn't conquer Aztecs nor Incas.

About the name: even discovering that the new lands weren't the original Indies, the padanians could believe that it was a continuation of them. So, they could name it "India", "Nuovindia", "Orientasia" or "Ocidentasia". I like this last one, specially because, IIRC, there were theories that the Americas were some continuation of Asia, at least before Magellan's circumnavigation.

Or we could take another italian name... Federica? Giuliana?

VT45

Banned
Well, looking at the most dominant geographical feature of South America (the Amazon), why not call the continent Ippolitia, from the Italian name for Hippolyta, queen of the Amazons?

Just an idea. I looked, but I couldn't figure out why they decided to name it the Amazon.

Krall

Banned
Well, looking at the most dominant geographical feature of South America (the Amazon), why not call the continent Ippolitia, from the Italian name for Hippolyta, queen of the Amazons?

Just an idea. I looked, but I couldn't figure out why they decided to name it the Amazon.

There were tribes there that are matriarchal and allow women to fight alongside the men. Either that or an explorer mistook men wearing grass skirts for women [really ugly women]. The Wikipedia article on the Amazon Rainforest has a better explanation.

Alternatively, the continent could be named after the river Amazon. It's sometimes called "The River Sea", could we get anything from that?

Edit: The tribe that allows/allowed women to fight alongside men was called the "icamiabas", I'm too tired to make a proper name out of that right now.

There were tribes there that are matriarchal and allow women to fight alongside the men. Either that or an explorer mistook men wearing grass skirts for women [really ugly women]. The Wikipedia article on the Amazon Rainforest has a better explanation.

Alternatively, the continent could be named after the river Amazon. It's sometimes called "The River Sea", could we get anything from that?

Edit: The tribe that allows/allowed women to fight alongside men was called the "icamiabas", I'm too tired to make a proper name out of that right now.
Thalassopotamia?

AFAIK, the europeans used to imagine that every legend of distant realms was reality in America, including the amazons. As the women did not used clothes and some of the tribes let them fight or use weapons as men, they concluded that the Amazons actually lived there.

--

Uhnn, I was thinking about calling the Congo river as "Padus Australis", the southern Pó river. Maybe Magnum Padus for Amazon, as they where, er, padanians? But I still do prefer some name related with India.

EDIT: uhnn, Thalassopotamia. It's REALLY ugly, but makes sense :p

VT45

Banned
I still like my idea for calling the continent Ippolitia, the Land of Hippolyta. It could be that a similar event happened ITTL that inspired the name.

Krall

Banned
AFAIK, the europeans used to imagine that every legend of distant realms was reality in America, including the amazons. As the women did not used clothes and some of the tribes let them fight or use weapons as men, they concluded that the Amazons actually lived there.

--

Uhnn, I was thinking about calling the Congo river as "Padus Australis", the southern Pó river. Maybe Magnum Padus for Amazon, as they where, er, padanians? But I still do prefer some name related with India.

EDIT: uhnn, Thalassopotamia. It's REALLY ugly, but makes sense :p

Could you please please stop using "Uhnn" randomly when you're typing?

Uhnn, ok :D

--

And, what about the name? Thalassopotamia is rather strange and long for a continent name IMO. Ippolitia, or Ippoliton, could be the name of the Amazon river proper, but I can see it being used as the name for the whole continent (at least the southern part). Terraverde, "green land" in italian, maybe? But I still prefer Ocidentasia, as they thought that it was a part of Asia, but reached from the Ocident. It would be the more logical to think, at least before finding the Pacific.

Eww thallaso...no. I say definitely no. How about Columbia? maybe Columbus actually works for Genoa.

Or maybe Rivera in honor of the huge Amazon?

Krall

Banned
Maybe it could be called Cathay? It could be discovered and thought to be Cathay [China], and for several years after that this is believed to be the case, so when new names for the continent are proposed most people just keep using Cathay?

Or maybe a variation on Cathay? Or we could use Cipangu [Japan] instead?

Maybe it could be called Cathay? It could be discovered and thought to be Cathay [China], and for several years after that this is believed to be the case, so when new names for the continent are proposed most people just keep using Cathay?

Or maybe a variation on Cathay? Or we could use Cipangu [Japan] instead?

I kind of like that. But maybe some variations would be better. Such as maybe "Sinae Occidens" (or whatever west china is in latin) or a derivative would be good. But if we go with the one derived from japan, it should be further corrupted as "Chipacuia" or something.

To intervene briefly in the discussion of a name for america: considering Australia was named Notosia after the southern wind, and was named such by (I presume) the Padanians, wouldn't it make sense for them to do the same with America? I think I saw this kind of proposal somewerhere in the thread already.

If not, why not Atlantis? It could certainly look like the mythical continent to early explorers.