Map Continuation 3 - Map 4 - Africa

Krall

Banned
To intervene briefly in the discussion of a name for america: considering Australia was named Notosia after the southern wind, and was named such by (I presume) the Padanians, wouldn't it make sense for them to do the same with America? I think I saw this kind of proposal somewerhere in the thread already.

Well, for one I don't see why the Padanians would have named Australia, and secondly the names of new continents/places/nations aren't consistent, they can be named after the person who discovered them, or a monarch, or a relative of a monarch, or someone who fully explored them for the first time, or just "New *whatever*", or something like "New *whatever*" like "Little Venice" [Venezuela].

If not, why not Atlantis? It could certainly look like the mythical continent to early explorers.

That's rather boring, and has probably been done before.

I'd go with some sort of bastardisation of Cipangu.

Well, for one I don't see why the Padanians would have named Australia, and secondly the names of new continents/places/nations aren't consistent, they can be named after the person who discovered them, or a monarch, or a relative of a monarch, or someone who fully explored them for the first time, or just "New *whatever*", or something like "New *whatever*" like "Little Venice" [Venezuela].

Well how about we pick the name of the Italian explorer who discovers SA, and use his, slightly altered, name for the continent.

For Example;
The Medici family started there rise to power in the 1200s, just prior to the time that the southern continent would be discovered, the de'Medicis had brokened into several branches. While somewhat factious, the famaliar ties kept the majority working together. The most powerful was the direct line which had by this time become, basically, the bank and merchant's house of Europe.

Looking to increase profits, the explorer Antonino De'Medici, devised the plan to sail west to the Orient. After gathering five ships and setting out westward he discovered what at first he thought was Mangi, or Southern China. It would not be until his fourth voyage to this land, with further exploration of the coastal regions, that he would come to believe that it was a new land.

The initial news of the discovery of a quicker trade route would cause other people to follow suite. Many of these men, mostly from Italy at first, took to calling these trips Medici Deviazione, or Medici's Detour. As time progressed and others took to using the phrase for the trips, the term became corrupted to what we use today, Medevia.

That's rather boring, and has probably been done before.

I'd go with some sort of bastardisation of Cipangu.

Below is the etymological progression from Khitan to Cathay as the word travelled westward in OTL:
  • Mongolian: Khyatad (Хятад) / Kitad
  • Uyghur (Western China): خىتاي, Xitay
  • Kazakh: قىتاي, Қытай, Qıtay
  • Kazan Tartar (Central Russia): Qıtay
  • Russian: Kitay (Китай)
  • Bulgarian: Kitay (Китай)
  • Latin: Cataya, Kitai
  • Spanish: Catay
  • Italian: Catai
  • Portuguese: Cataio
  • English, German, Dutch, Scandinavian: Cathay
Of course we could always go with the term I used above for Southern China, Mangi (also Manji and Manzi)

Krall

Banned
Maybe we should just make a list of good names for SA and then have a poll on it. So far I think we've got:

-Ippolytia
-Medevia
-Mangi
-Cathay
-Cataya (I think latin makes more sense, it was the scolarly language at the time, I think).
-Cipangu
-Chipacuia

What else?

How about Brazil or similar derivation? - if we take the view that Brazil takes its name from Uí Breasail. Have it applied to the whole continent.

Maybe we should just make a list of good names for SA and then have a poll on it. So far I think we've got:

-Ippolytia
-Medevia
-Mangi
-Cathay
-Cataya (I think latin makes more sense, it was the scolarly language at the time, I think).
-Cipangu
-Chipacuia

What else?
The Cathay thing is a nice idea... Catania, maybe?
And, what about my idea of Ocidentasia, wich sounds nice and can be understood as "Asia from the Ocident"? It has the meaning that we want as sounds pretty well.

--

All of the other continents are Nymphs, IIRC. Could we search some nymph related to "lands in the ocident", maybe? Or we could use Zephiria as analogue to Notosia, as the Zephirus was the western wind.
But I still prefer the idea of the name being something related to Asia/India.

How about Brazil or similar derivation? - if we take the view that Brazil takes its name from Uí Breasail. Have it applied to the whole continent.
Quite wrong. "Brazil" comes from the wood that was found there, the Pau-Brasil, wich comes from its colour. "Brasil", in archaic portuguese, is "the colour of ember".

Krall

Banned
All of the other continents are Nymphs, IIRC. Could we search some nymph related to "lands in the ocident", maybe? Or we could use Zephiria as analogue to Notosia, as the Zephirus was the western wind.

Named after nymphs? As far as I know no continent is named after a nymph.

Quite wrong. "Brazil" comes from the wood that was found there, the Pau-Brasil, wich comes from its colour. "Brasil", in archaic portuguese, is "the colour of ember".

Isn't "Brasa" the archaic Portuguese word for "ember"?

The following is from wikipedia, but I read similar things elsewhere. This may help us decide what to choose.

The word Asia originated from the Ancient Greek word "σία", first attributed to Herodotus (about 440 BCE) in reference to Anatolia or, for the purposes of describing the Persian Wars, to the Persian Empire, in contrast to Greece and Egypt. Herodotus comments that he is puzzled as to why three women's names are used to describe one enormous and substantial land mass (Europa, Asia, and Libya, referring to Africa), stating that most Greeks assumed that Asia was named after the wife of Prometheus but that the Lydians say it was named after Asias, son of Cotys who passed the name on to a tribe in Sardis.

Even before Herodotus, Homer knew of a Trojan ally named Asios and elsewhere he describes a marsh as ασιος (Iliad 2, 461). The Greek language term may be derived from Assuwa, a 14th century BCE confederation of states in Western Anatolia. Hittite assu-—"good" is probably an element in that name.

Alternatively, the etymology of the term may be from the Akkadian word (w)aû(m), which means "to go outside" or "to ascend", referring to the direction of the sun at sunrise in the Middle East, and also likely connected with the Phoenician word asa meaning east. This may be contrasted to a similar etymology proposed for Europe, as being from Akkadian erēbu(m) "to enter" or "set" (of the sun). However, this etymology is considered doubtful, because it does not explain how the term "Asia" first came to be associated with Anatolia, which is west of the Semitic-speaking areas, unless they refer to the viewpoint of a Phoenician sailor sailing through the straits between the Mediterranean Sea and the Black Sea.

It is interesting to note, in Icelandic Saga, ancient Teutons separated Asia from Europe by the river Tanakvisl (or Vanakvisl), which flows into the Black Sea. Eastward across the River (in Asia), so legend tells, was a land known as Asaheim or Asaland, where dwelt Odin, chief god, in his citadel named Asgard.[4] However, Aesir and all its forms are related to Sanskrit asura and Avestan ahura, the local reflexes of the name of a class of divine beings.

Named after nymphs? As far as I know no continent is named after a nymph.
The word "Europe" cames after a mythological woman, who I thought that was a nymph or some sort of. But ok, I'm wrong: The continents do have names from different origins, as you said.

Isn't "Brasa" the archaic Portuguese word for "ember"?
Actually, "brasa" is also the nowadays word in portuguese for "brasa". The adjectived form ("brasil") is somewhat archaic, but the word "brasa" is still used.

--

Well, wich name will we use? Should we do a poll to decide its name, let it open or decide by other way?

I say a poll, since I'm partial to Mangi and/or Medevia.

Right, but with less options than we have by now.

Cathay Derived (Cataya, Catania etc)
Italian Name derived (Medevia, Columbia, Fedederica etc)
Mythological derived (Zephyra, Atlantica, Ippolytia etc)
Other Asian Misconception derived (Ocidentasia, India, Cipangia, Austrasia etc)

Can I post it?

Krall

Banned
Right, but with less options than we have by now.

Cathay Derived (Cataya, Catania etc)
Italian Name derived (Medevia, Columbia, Fedederica etc)
Mythological derived (Zephyra, Atlantica, Ippolytia etc)
Other Asian Misconception derived (Ocidentasia, India, Cipangia, Austrasia etc)

Can I post it?

I don't know why you have a section for Cathay when there isn't one for Cipangu.

Maybe we could have the following options:

-Ippolytia.
-Medevia.
-Ocidentasia.
-Mangi or a variant thereof.
-Cathay or a variant thereof.
-Cipangu or a variant thereof.
-Other.

What do you think?

VT45

Banned
Sounds fine to me. Except you misspelled "Ippolitia." IIRC, there is no "y" in Hippolyta's Italian name.

Krall

Banned
Umm, I thought I was a moderator in this project? I was just taking the next step in the process.

To be honest, you haven't done anything as a moderator yet, and there was no agreement as to who would post the poll or what the options would be.

(You may now berate me for my hypocrisy.)