Map Continuation 3 - Map 2 - Asia

I was thinking the Norwegians were in a personal union with England for part of the colonization period (maybe Gothia too?). This would give the the Norwegians a greater pool from which to colonize NA. The English language of TTL would be more Germanic/Nordic with a lessened French influence (also meaning Normandy is somewhat re-Nordicized a bit.)

The other major players I would see as Portugal and the Gaels. Portugal, with control of the Azores, they have an easier crossing to NA. Yet, both nations can easily use the North Equatorial Current to reach the Caribbean (needs a different name I think).

So, the Norwegians colonizes the northern portions, while the Portuguese and Gaels do so with the southern portions of the continent.

Minor colonizing players in NA would be Burgundy, the North Germans, Union Navarre, and Padania. There may actually be no nations descended directly from these nations, with them having been taken over by the descendent's of the former Norwegian/English, Portuguese, and Gaelic colonies.

Krall

Banned
Look, I'd rather we didn't just state that THIS nation would have been THIS powerful and would have colonised THIS area. Obviously there are limitations on what nations could have colonised the continent, but working out the history to this extent before hand can only be limiting on people's choices on the N. American map.

What I meant by working out N. America's history was more establishing the number of European nations who would have colonised N. America and their relative dominance on the continent. For example, there were only one or two dominant colonising powers in N. America, all other colonisers won't have had much beyond coastal territories and Carribean islands.

Also, I'd like to suggest the name "Lucaea", "Lucaia", "Lucaian" or "Lucaean" for the name of TTL's Carribean. The names are taken from the Lucayan people, who are native to the Bahamas.

That's a very badly thought out history. I'm sorry, but it had to be said.

We do.

After I wrote it, I realized,

"Oh crap! I just wrote a bunch of nothing!"

Don't lie. You're not in the least bit sorry. If you're going to criticise, explain what's wrong with it, or you're just trolling your own project.

Wait, why is Denmark becoming Norwegian? Do you mean Quebec becomes property of the Denmark-analogue?

I can see the Padanians heading out into the Caribbean if they've settled in Colombia, but perhaps not as far north as NO. We don't really want to have the region homogenously Padanian - it's a bit of a riff on OTL - and a sphere of influence up to the Gulf Coast would lead to this.

Why would the English have Arctic islands? I can't see how they'd get them. Perhaps around the mouth of the St. Lawrence - Nova Scotia or Newfoundland?

My thoughts on how North America is colonised:

Vinland in the North seems a given - even if it isn't particularly likely, it will happen due to the Scandinavian players. So we have to factor in a consistent Norse influence.

The Gulf Stream it is, the majority of minor European powers will probably make land somewhere between New England and Virginia, as they did IOTL (New Sweden, New Netherlands, New England, etc). So, we'll probably see a culturally diverse Mid-Atlantic Seaboard - French colonies around Connecticut bordering Gaelic settlements in MA (as I expect VT45 will claim). The Iberian nations are more likely to work their way upwards from the Caribbean (do we have an ATL name?), again due to the currents, so we might see a more Iberian Gulf Coast - maybe as far north as South Carolina, but I doubt it'd go that far, once the rest of Europe gets in on the act - they'd be squeezed out.

The West Coast is up for grabs, but I could see the Padanians establishing a few settlements - they're a seafaring nation with colonies not too far away. Venetian Oregon?

I understand that most of the countries will be post-colonial - I'm just trying to guess at the various cultures.

So, North America could be "discovered" from three different ways:
  1. The Scandinavians up north.
  2. The Mediterraneans down south.
  3. The Padanians from the west.

Aww, come on. New Orleans is the perfect place for Nova Venizia...

hm...the English could probably get some small parcels of land, but seeing that it isn't a very big player in terms of world politics, probably just Newfoundland...

Ahh, I was thinking that QUebec became a part of Denmark...

Padanian West Coast? Well we had Panama, and also much of Pacific SOuth America...I mean Mediccia, so I can see that...

Look, I'd rather we didn't just state that THIS nation would have been THIS powerful and would have colonised THIS area. Obviously there are limitations on what nations could have colonised the continent, but working out the history to this extent before hand can only be limiting on people's choices on the N. American map.

What I meant by working out N. America's history was more establishing the number of European nations who would have colonised N. America and their relative dominance on the continent. For example, there were only one or two dominant colonising powers in N. America, all other colonisers won't have had much beyond coastal territories and Carribean islands.

Also, I'd like to suggest the name "Lucaea", "Lucaia", "Lucaian" or "Lucaean" for the name of TTL's Carribean. The names are taken from the Lucayan people, who are native to the Bahamas.

Lucaia? That sounds cool.

A better place would be Venezuela, considering that "Venezuela" means "Little Venice". Apparently the Spanish colonists found the areas to be very similar.

I'm aware of that, but I meant as a city on water. New Orleans is perfect...

As for Venezuela, there's probably already a Nova Veniza or 5 or so there.

Aww, come on. New Orleans is the perfect place for Nova Venizia...

Personally I think Neu Amsterdam would be a better replacement for OTL's New Orleans.

hm...the English could probably get some small parcels of land, but seeing that it isn't a very big player in terms of world politics, probably just Newfoundland...

Ahh, I was thinking that QUebec became a part of Denmark...

Padanian West Coast? Well we had Panama, and also much of Pacific SOuth America...I mean Mediccia, so I can see that...

I think most of OTL Canada and New England would be colonized by a possible Norwegian/English Union (UK of the North Sea?) and possibly the Gaels. When the Norwegian/English Personal Union breaks up, neither side has the power to control the colonies and they gain their independence.

VT45

Banned
I'm thinking that most of OTL New England and Atlantic Canada would be controlled by the GE, as well as a few other colony-kingdoms along the eastern seaboard.

And Bermuda. I'm assuming that the GE would probably snag Bermuda.

I'm thinking that most of OTL New England and Atlantic Canada would be controlled by the GE, as well as a few other colony-kingdoms along the eastern seaboard.

And Bermuda. I'm assuming that the GE would probably snag Bermuda.

I'm thinking that Scandinavian countries would take the NY, NJ and PA area, considering OTL Sweden hung out in New Jersey for a time. I can also see parts of Canada being PEACEFULLY colonized by my own country, Sápmi, with their people finding much in common with their own homeland there. As a result migration follows and reindeer start to be seen grazing on the plains of OTL Ottawa.

I'm thinking that Scandinavian countries would take the NY, NJ and PA area, considering OTL Sweden hung out in New Jersey for a time. I can also see parts of Canada being PEACEFULLY colonized by my own country, Sápmi, with their people finding much in common with their own homeland there. As a result migration follows and reindeer start to be seen grazing on the plains of OTL Ottawa.

There might be a small colony in the north, but the Sápmi population could never be large enough to make an impact. Even Norway would need more people, hence the reason I said a short lived personal union with England would be the only way for them to colonize more territory.

Krall

Banned
Goddamn it, stop planning out who colonised where! It would unnecessarily restrict the choice of possible nations on the N. America map, so don't do it.

"Jotunland" as a name for N. America, yay or nay?

Goddamn it, stop planning out who colonised where! It would unnecessarily restrict the choice of possible nations on the N. America map, so don't do it.

"Jotunland" as a name for N. America, yay or nay?

I say no, because all continents must end in "a" and be feminine.
What about Groenlandia(Greenland in Latin)
Greenland is a fitting name for North America, or if you really want a more latin name have it Terra Viridis or Viridia.

I say no, because all continents must end in "a" and be feminine.
What about Groenlandia(Greenland in Latin)
Greenland is a fitting name for North America, or if you really want a more latin name have it Terra Viridis or Viridia.

Who says? They don't have to be.

Well regardless of who gets who, I think we need to set up a poll (or polls if need be) to decide what we call NA. I personally favour anything but Jutland (or variants). Wouldn't 'Israel' be a good name for North America, being a new promised land type thing?

Well regardless of who gets who, I think we need to set up a poll (or polls if need be) to decide what we call NA. I personally favour anything but Jutland (or variants). Wouldn't 'Israel' be a good name for North America, being a new promised land type thing?

I don't think the Norwegians would name it Israel.

Because continents were thought of as feminine.
"Europa" is a woman from greek myth, as is "Asia", from there comes the idea that continents are feminine.

Well how about Járnsaxa.
She was a Jotun and a lover of Thor's who birthed his son Magni.

If we go with the Norwegian discoverer of this continent joking about it being Nilfheim (as I conjectured before), he could state that the Natives are giants decended from Járnsaxa. It sticks, diseminates throughout Europe, and finds itself labeled on many maps where people start to assume it is the name of the contient. Everyone from this continent could be known as Jarnsaxons, Jarnsians, or Jarns.

I don't think the Norwegians would name it Israel.

Well how about Járnsaxa.
She was a Jotun and a lover of Thor's who birthed his son Magni.

If we go with the Norwegian discoverer of this continent joking about it being Nilfheim (as I conjectured before), he could state that the Natives are giants decended from Járnsaxa. It sticks, diseminates throughout Europe, and finds itself labeled on many maps where people start to assume it is the name of the contient. Everyone from this continent could be known as Jarnsaxons, Jarnsians, or Jarns.

This seems to be the best suggestion yet, Járnsaxa seems to work pretty well.