Map Continuation 3 - Map 2 - Asia

Well the Norwegian Captain who finds this land could joking tell his crew he thinks they have found Niflheim. It would be in winter when the snow covers the ground and trees.

Niflheim was believed to be in the west or north, and a land of ice.

In the Hrafnagaldr Óðins, there is a brief mention of Niflheimr as a location in the North, towards which the sun chased the night as it rose. It is also thought to be the last abode of giants, the Jotun.

This could have the Captain, still joking, call the natives Jotun, which eventually is shortened to Jot. for what ever reason these phrases catch on and disseminate throughout Europe.

So, the continent could either come to be called Niflheim, Nipheim, Nifland, Niphland, Jotunheim, Jotland, or a further corruption to Jutland. (The last still fitting in well with the whole Scandinavian thing.)

Krall

Banned
Hmm... I wonder what the average height of Native Americans in northern Canada was? The Native Americans of patagonia were considered giants by the Spanish even though they were only 5' 11" (the average height of Spanish people being 5' 3" back then), so if there's a similar height disparity between the Norwegian explorers and the natives in he area then they might believe the natives to be giants, which would definitely fit in with the idea that the land they've found is Niflheim.

Hmm... I wonder what the average height of Native Americans in northern Canada was? The Native Americans of patagonia were considered giants by the Spanish even though they were only 5' 11" (the average height of Spanish people being 5' 3" back then), so if there's a similar height disparity between the Norwegian explorers and the natives in he area then they might believe the natives to be giants, which would definitely fit in with the idea that the land they've found is Niflheim.

I think most men in tribes from the Northeastern woodlands averaged 5'10" to 6'1". The eastern tribes, if I remember correctly, tended to have a higher protein diet, as compared to Europeans of the time, which helped them attain this height (along with genetics). I think this held true into the plains, but when you get to the southwest of NA, the height tends to shorten. I have a book on the Eastern Native American Tribes, when I get home I'll look it up.

Last edited:
I agree with it.

--

Just messing around with the colours, I've created a map with the linguistic-ethnic-cultural groups. As you can see, I divided it in wide groups.
They are: latin(burgundy Purple), germanic(grey), Slavonic(russian Gold), Turk-Persian/Central Asian(persian Yellow), Indian (indian Purple), Sino-eastasian(chinese Green), Gaelic(celtic green), Greek(byzantine Purple), Arab(arabian Green) and Others(white).

Colonial countries are divided between their colonizer colour and their native one.

mc3_cultures.png

Krall

Banned
Just messing around with the colours, I've created a map with the linguistic-ethnic-cultural groups. As you can see, I divided it in wide groups.
They are: latin(burgundy Purple), germanic(grey), Slavonic(russian Gold), Turk-Persian/Central Asian(persian Yellow), Indian (indian Purple), Sino-eastasian(chinese Green), Gaelic(celtic green), Greek(byzantine Purple), Arab(arabian Green) and Others(white).

Colonial countries are divided between their colonizer colour and their native one.

What's up with the part of Persia on the Arabian peninsula, England and Morocco?

Transylvania should have purple from Romanian and white from Hungarian in there too. Transylvania Saxon hasn't surplanted them.

What's up with the part of Persia on the Arabian peninsula, England and Morocco?

England: they are formed by two original cultures. England isn't exactly Germanic nor Latin, AFAIK.
Persia: it's Persia, but the region probably has at least a mix with the Arabian culture, hasn't it?
Morocco: gah, painting error. (Or it is fully incorporated into Portuguese culture)

edit: uhn, ok. I was rather unsecure about this region, actually.

England: they are formed by two original cultures. England isn't exactly Germanic nor Latin, AFAIK.
Persia: it's Persia, but the region probably has at least a mix with the Arabian culture, hasn't it?
Morocco: gah, painting error. (Or it is fully incorporated into Portuguese culture)

edit: uhn, ok. I was rather unsecure about this region, actually.

Actually, I've claimed that area as part of the Holy Persian Republic. JUST so ya know. :D

And I like Jutland, lets go with that and be done with it! I'm tired of waiting!

I think most men in tribes from the Northeastern woodlands averaged 5'10" to 6'1". The eastern tribes, if I remember correctly, tended to have a higher protein diet, as compared to Europeans of the time, which helped them attain this height (along with genetics). I think this held true into the plains, but when you get to the southwest of NA, the height tends to shorten. I have a book on the Eastern Native American Tribes, when I get home I'll look it up.

My book said most Algonquins were 5'8 to 6'2". Just to make sure I consulted one of the Forensic Anthropologists here in my lab. He concurred with that height range for most Northeastern tribes.

Krall

Banned
Okay, this has really slowed down, we need to get on to N. America.

I'd rather not use "Jutland" as, well, there's already a place called that. I'd go with pretty much any other variation though. What would you guys go for?

Also, I think it would be good to establish a vague bit of N. America's history first. I don't think anyone's going to seriously suggest that Norway can colonise much more than the northeasternmost parts of N. America, and it's possible that this area will be invaded and annexed or bought by another power between its takeover and the modern day.

It's possible that Portugal, being the Padanian's nemesis at the time, would have done their best to grab some of the Americas, or other powers could have tried to grab colonies with one or two European nations becoming dominant and being able to push to the West coast.

In any case, N. America is going to be mostly decolonised, in keeping with S. America. The exact history of the continent can be worked out later, but as we claim nations an assumed history might develop. For instance, if someone claims a large nation with Burgundian French as its first language then we can assume that Burgundy was a big power there.

So... yeah. I'm not sure where I was going with that, I just wanted to make sure everyone knows what we're going to be doing when it comes to N. America.

Alright, for North America, here's my idea:

Portugal sets off for a journey to OSuth America...I mean Mediccia to conquer Panthera or something. They fail, no change Panthera to Andretia so that it looks more feasible. Soon, they find themselves off the coast of the Bahamas or Florida or something... (didn't fill out the Caribbean cuz we'll do that later). WHat they don't kow is Norway has already gotten to N. America and have colonized, at most, OTL Quebec, and probably not much of it. However, their colonization effort is wasted when Denmark grabs up a bunch of the Norweigian colony. So as a resut of that war, Norway recieves Iceland and Denmark, OTL Quebec. Now, as Denmark is part of the North German thingy, I guess that the Quebec thing will be Germanic, or independent.

Meanwhile, the Padanians settle in OTL New Orleans as their influence grows in South America and more demand is needed for sugar... (this may lead to several Padanian Caribbean colonies). So, basically, Norway discovers it, is the first to colonize it, not seriously, though, and portugal is the first to plant a real colony. The Danes should have something in QUebec or so, the English should have some Artic islands, the Gaels should be in there too, and the Padanians, just some small outposts, as I'm sure they focused on Mediccia. Maybe some lesser powers as well.

Oh, as for the name...maybe...Nova Cimbria?

Or how about a corruption of Jutland...Iutia? Jucia? Or, if you want to be eccentric, Giuccia?

Or we can go with something fun, like Bimini or Terra Bahia, in honor of the Portugueses' first sighting at...Mobile Bay?

1) Who cares how tall the natives were?!
2) Lets take all of these names and have a poll so that Jutla--er, I mean N.A. can start already! God! Its a name! How hard can it be?!

Krall

Banned
Alright, for North America, here's my idea:

Portugal sets off for a journey to OSuth America...I mean Mediccia to conquer Panthera or something. They fail, no change Panthera to Andretia so that it looks more feasible. Soon, they find themselves off the coast of the Bahamas or Florida or something... (didn't fill out the Caribbean cuz we'll do that later). WHat they don't kow is Norway has already gotten to N. America and have colonized, at most, OTL Quebec, and probably not much of it. However, their colonization effort is wasted when Denmark grabs up a bunch of the Norweigian colony. So as a resut of that war, Norway recieves Iceland and Denmark, OTL Quebec. Now, as Denmark is part of the North German thingy, I guess that the Quebec thing will be Germanic, or independent.

Meanwhile, the Padanians settle in OTL New Orleans as their influence grows in South America and more demand is needed for sugar... (this may lead to several Padanian Caribbean colonies). So, basically, Norway discovers it, is the first to colonize it, not seriously, though, and portugal is the first to plant a real colony. The Danes should have something in QUebec or so, the English should have some Artic islands, the Gaels should be in there too, and the Padanians, just some small outposts, as I'm sure they focused on Mediccia. Maybe some lesser powers as well.

That's a very badly thought out history. I'm sorry, but it had to be said.

1) Who cares how tall the natives were?!

We do.

That's a very badly thought out history. I'm sorry, but it had to be said.

Don't lie. You're not in the least bit sorry. If you're going to criticise, explain what's wrong with it, or you're just trolling your own project.

Wait, why is Denmark becoming Norwegian? Do you mean Quebec becomes property of the Denmark-analogue?

I can see the Padanians heading out into the Caribbean if they've settled in Colombia, but perhaps not as far north as NO. We don't really want to have the region homogenously Padanian - it's a bit of a riff on OTL - and a sphere of influence up to the Gulf Coast would lead to this.

Why would the English have Arctic islands? I can't see how they'd get them. Perhaps around the mouth of the St. Lawrence - Nova Scotia or Newfoundland?

My thoughts on how North America is colonised:

Vinland in the North seems a given - even if it isn't particularly likely, it will happen due to the Scandinavian players. So we have to factor in a consistent Norse influence.

The Gulf Stream it is, the majority of minor European powers will probably make land somewhere between New England and Virginia, as they did IOTL (New Sweden, New Netherlands, New England, etc). So, we'll probably see a culturally diverse Mid-Atlantic Seaboard - French colonies around Connecticut bordering Gaelic settlements in MA (as I expect VT45 will claim). The Iberian nations are more likely to work their way upwards from the Caribbean (do we have an ATL name?), again due to the currents, so we might see a more Iberian Gulf Coast - maybe as far north as South Carolina, but I doubt it'd go that far, once the rest of Europe gets in on the act - they'd be squeezed out.

The West Coast is up for grabs, but I could see the Padanians establishing a few settlements - they're a seafaring nation with colonies not too far away. Venetian Oregon?

I understand that most of the countries will be post-colonial - I'm just trying to guess at the various cultures.

So, North America could be "discovered" from three different ways:
  1. The Scandinavians up north.
  2. The Mediterraneans down south.
  3. The Padanians from the west.

The Padanians want to grab some Carribean islands, at least, in whatever we're calling North America.