Malê Rising

Ooh, idea- so it's extremely unlikely that a Flashman in his nineties gets sent to India. But presuming that he gets allocated a command somehow over his stringent objections- the Imperials have a daft idea to bring in the 'old guard,' who understood how to treat the subjects or whatever- he's obviously not the kind of man to sit with an army that he knows is going to lose.

I really, really love the idea that the final coup of Flashman's long career of stolen credit is to be the great servant of the empire who defects to the righteous cause of India... out of disgust with what his empire has become, out of the soldier's deep sense of justice, out of determination not to be part of the doomed last stand at Calcutta...

So what is the military situation in India at the start of the war? Because I could see more than a few Britons losing faith in the war.

Jonathan, how far is homosexuality acknowledged amongst the new nations and across the world? I remember the Ottoman Empire decrimilizing it as part of the Tanzimat, and no one can really forget awesome Teddy Roosevelt! but anything else?

Of course, most of those effects weren't intended. The Pope organized the Legion in order to retake Rome, crush the anticlerical Italian state and make the world safe for ultramontanism. The rank-and-file Legionnaires experienced their service differently and drew different lessons from it.

There are still illiberal and reactionary tendencies in man of the ex-Legionnaire movements - they tend to be very traditional on cultural issues, for instance - and their role in establishing the Belgian semi-theocracy can't really be called positive. But at the same time, they're movements of the poor that break through barriers of race, class and nationality, and their economic reforms are often progressive. And as azander has shown us, the seeds of a true liberation theology are there.
Well I did say relatively:p. More seriously, it allows the Church to eventually found a form of liberation theology that will be seen as quite normal among mainstream catholics, if not likeable, and that's fascinating to me.

[QUOTE}Probably. This will be mitigated somewhat by the fact that the various Catholic parties will make alliances with non-Catholic factions at similar points on the political spectrum; on the other hand, the fact that the Catholic ideologies are anti-nationalist might increase the tendency for Catholic voters to be seen as Catholics first. This will cause trouble for Catholics in some countries. It will also prepare them well for the post-Westphalian world.

Ireland is a kingdom in personal union with Britain now - effectively a dominion - so it's at one remove from what's going on in the UK. On the otherIrhand, the unionists who rule the autonomous Ulster province will probably become a de facto branch of the Imperial Party, and the alignment of the Catholic populists, Catholic Liberals and secular left will center on opposing London's demands that Ireland join the war. The alliances could break down very much as you say, and in a worst-case scenario, there could be an Ulster secession, an Irish civil war or both.
Pardon. I sometimes forget that Ireland had some form of home rule ITTL. I am rather depressed to hear my predictions could bear fruit in such a situation though.

Honestly, I'm rather curious to see how the different dominions take this new Imperial direction. In particular, I'm thinking of TTL South Africa, which is more divided beween AFrikaners and mixed-race africans, but where there are many Englishman who are sick of having to compromise with Afrikaners and blacks to get anything done. It could create a very complicated situation, especially if economic interests during the situation do not match up between the primary Capeland empoyers and agencies in comparison to the Boer and native states.

Essentially, there are a lot of different opportunities to expand the war, the question is how it will affect Imperial and British policies in the future.

Edited: apparently my windows got messed up somehow and a couple sentences from my lesson plans snuck in here without me noticing. Fixed.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm rather curious to see how the different dominions take this new Imperial direction. In particular, I'm thinking of TTL South Africa, which is more divided beween AFrikaners and mixed-race africans, but where there are many Englishman who are sick of having to compromise with Afrikaners and blacks to get anything done. It could create a very complicated situation, especially if economic interests during the situation do not match up between the primary Capeland empoyers and agencies in comparison to the Boer and native states....

I would not guess all Anglo-South-Africans are so automatically on the Imperial bandwagon. I'd think the attitude that the British way alone is right and British interest paramount would be more common among new arrivals from Britain, even more so among representatives of British institutions--corporate officials and so on. But that after spending some time in South Africa, a minority leave again, but the rest have modified their views somewhat. I would not guess a precise percentage but dare say that under half of the Anglos--including people with ties back home to Britain such as corporate or military officers or government bureaucrats--would agree with the Imperials; the rest will have learned some advantages to be had by working with South Africans as they are, in their spectrum of colors and backgrounds.

Vice versa, some Boers (that is, ITTL, white Afrikaaners) might like the Imperial program just fine, if they understand it to mean that they, as white men, should command as part of the ruling and benefitting elite--as soon as the point comes home that the deal is not for people who speak funny languages nor those who have had ancestors in Africa for hundreds of years and never came from England in the first place. If they see the shoe so unjustly being slammed onto the wrong foot, they would of course have no choice but to oppose the Imperialists.

South Africa is certainly interesting because its population includes people who think of themselves in the same category as the white settlers in the other Dominions, Canada and Australasia, and the obviously colonized as in India or West Africa--and people in between on that spectrum, like the whole color spectrum of the Afrikaaners. While there will be some turmoil due to some local identification with the Imperial program, some of that will be soured and disillusioned fast, and others will be polarized against it from the beginning. I expect the anti-Imperialist mentality to be the dominant majority even among Anglo-South-Africans and stronger yet among everyone else--perhaps opposition to Imperial Party policy will fuse the region into a shared national identity for the first time.

How the Impies treat the whites of South Africa, and just who they consider white, will be closely watched by the other Dominions.

It'd make an interesting contast to OTL, if the imperials classified the Afrikaans as colonials, rather than Brits, leading to obvious political alliances against the exploitation.

I believe the Imperials need a nickname. Can i suggest the "Brownshorts"?

I would not guess all Anglo-South-Africans are so automatically on the Imperial bandwagon. I'd think the attitude that the British way alone is right and British interest paramount would be more common among new arrivals from Britain, even more so among representatives of British institutions--corporate officials and so on. But that after spending some time in South Africa, a minority leave again, but the rest have modified their views somewhat. I would not guess a precise percentage but dare say that under half of the Anglos--including people with ties back home to Britain such as corporate or military officers or government bureaucrats--would agree with the Imperials; the rest will have learned some advantages to be had by working with South Africans as they are, in their spectrum of colors and backgrounds.

Vice versa, some Boers (that is, ITTL, white Afrikaaners) might like the Imperial program just fine, if they understand it to mean that they, as white men, should command as part of the ruling and benefitting elite--as soon as the point comes home that the deal is not for people who speak funny languages nor those who have had ancestors in Africa for hundreds of years and never came from England in the first place. If they see the shoe so unjustly being slammed onto the wrong foot, they would of course have no choice but to oppose the Imperialists.

South Africa is certainly interesting because its population includes people who think of themselves in the same category as the white settlers in the other Dominions, Canada and Australasia, and the obviously colonized as in India or West Africa--and people in between on that spectrum, like the whole color spectrum of the Afrikaaners. While there will be some turmoil due to some local identification with the Imperial program, some of that will be soured and disillusioned fast, and others will be polarized against it from the beginning. I expect the anti-Imperialist mentality to be the dominant majority even among Anglo-South-Africans and stronger yet among everyone else--perhaps opposition to Imperial Party policy will fuse the region into a shared national identity for the first time.

How the Impies treat the whites of South Africa, and just who they consider white, will be closely watched by the other Dominions.
You're right of course. I meant that the "Britain and Britain-descended" sympathies of the Imperials could have knock-on effects in TTL's much more decentralized South Africa. Some conservative Boers will like the open racism, but might not like ideas about pushing the South African region into a closer union. Conversely, many Anglo South Africans will just not want to open any of the Imperial cans of worms. There's a lot of room for varied opinion there.

I'd guess that a lot of the emigration would be to the dominions, which may or may not count as a British diaspora in OTL.

One possibility if there's a lot of migration to the dominions is instability in Quebec. IOTL post-confederation the number of Anglophones slowly dropped from 20% in 1871 to 15% by 1931. But I would suppose ITTL some Britons will seek to move to rapidly-growing Montreal, boosting the Anglo-Quebec community. If too many Anglophone migrants move to Quebec, it might make the provincial government nervous, with growing calls either for separatism or for the dominion to somehow put restrictions on British migration.

Quebec in general will be interesting ITTL. Given it was so fervently Catholic up until the Quiet Revolution, one presumes the Legion had significant underground support, and some of the political movements which have sprung out of it in the postwar period have even greater support. Sadly I see this falling more towards the "rexist" side of the coin, given how archconservative Quebec was in OTL's depression, but with so many butterflies it's hard to know.

There's also the possibility of British workers braving the language barrier to find jobs in the oil fields of Venezuela or even the Ottoman Empire, both of which will be going concerns by the end of the 1910s. I'm not sure how many would do this, but it would be interesting to have a distinct British working-class community in Mosul or Caracas. There's also Brazil and Patagonia, which still have frontiers, but again I'm not sure how many would go to a non-English-speaking country, and urban workers wouldn't have frontier skills.

IOTL a not insubstantial number of British settled in Argentina and Chile, so I expect that some (likely a greater number) would migrate to the Southern Cone here as well.

Honestly, I'm rather curious to see how the different dominions take this new Imperial direction. In particular, I'm thinking of TTL South Africa, which is more divided between Afrikaners and mixed-race Africans, but where there are many Englishman who are sick of having to compromise with Afrikaners and blacks to get anything done. It could create a very complicated situation, especially if economic interests during the situation do not match up between the primary Capeland employers and agencies in comparison to the Boer and native states.

There's some interesting discussion here, but IIRC South Africa is now a Dominion, thus the Imperials have limited ability to make the Boers or anyone else knuckle under directly - as unlike India, they can't simply fire and replace the local ruling class. Indeed, I would presume any attempt to "de-dominion' South Africa would result in a very quick war of independence - something which the British could not afford at the moment. Not that I put shooting themselves in the foot in such a spectacular way beyond the Imperials however. :D

In the South African context, that abbreviation might be a bit ambiguous.

I'm now picturing an Alt-Topsy-Turvy set against a backdrop of rising tension, with hints of the Imperials slowly rising.... Cabaret with the Major-General.

A movie set at the end of G&S' TTL career rather than the 1880s, with the dramatic tension provided by Sullivan's impending mortality and the liberal empire starting to come apart? That sounds too good not to have, although it'll stay offstage.

Oh, and do you think Joseph Conrad has a great novel left about the Imperial's Britain and their Empire before he goes?

Conrad (or more accurately his ATL-brother) is in Poland as a novelist and liberal member of the Sejm - as was mentioned the last time he came up, he was a Royal Navy officer during the war, but is now distant from British affairs. He does have a fascination with India, Africa and the Pacific from his sailing days, though, so he may have a novel about the Indian war in him.

It occurs to me that Harry Flashman is now far too old to be involved in this violence, doubtless much to his happiness- he was born in 1822, I believe- but I do hope there's some roguish soldier of fortune to pick up his baton.

I think. I don't think he'd support the Imperials, he's a coward, not an idiot.

Also he knows enough about India to know that the Imperials would be the absolute worst choice to run the place.

He's a racist, a bounder and a cad, but he's got a sneaking affection for the Indians, and he isn't one to underestimate them, having fought in both the Sikh wars and the 1857 uprising.

Supposedly (or at least according to the author), Flashy's OTL incarnation did annoy the powers that be enough to be reactivated for World War I, and was killed at 93 when the Germans shelled a Belgian brothel. He died in bed, albeit not his bed. Maybe in TTL he'd be blackmailed into going to Indiia - not as a commander at his age, but possibly as an agent of some kind. I've suggested as much in prior discussion, so maybe we'll see it. And Flashy defecting to the Indian side... hmmm, that gives me some ideas.

So what is the military situation in India at the start of the war? Because I could see more than a few Britons losing faith in the war.

The situation is confused - the British garrisons are scattered, many of the career Indian soldiers have defected while others (mainly those recruited from princely states or from Nepal) are still loyal for the time being, the Congress regiments are still gathering, the maharajahs are choosing sides, and the Burmese (and possibly some regional movements in the south) are wishing a plague on both houses. The theme of the war's first few months will be how far the Republic of India can consolidate before Britain can send in reinforcements from the home islands, Southeast Asia and possibly the dominions.

Actually, for some reason I'm picturing this timeline's version of D'annunzio as the Italian charge d'affaires in Calcutta when everything goes to hell....

A latter-day Paolo Avitabile, maybe? We'll see, we'll see...

Jonathan, how far is homosexuality acknowledged amongst the new nations and across the world? I remember the Ottoman Empire decrimilizing it as part of the Tanzimat, and no one can really forget awesome Teddy Roosevelt! but anything else?

Decriminalization was part of the Tanzimat in OTL, and occurred before any major changes in the Ottoman world, so I don't see any reason for it not to happen in TTL. I'd guess that a couple of other countries - France, almost certainly - would have followed the Ottomans by this time, and that elsewhere, attitudes range from de facto tolerance to harsh opposition. Most major European and American cities would have a gay scene that everyone knows about, as they did in OTL, and which would be mostly left alone as long as it's discreet.

How quickly things progress beyond that would depend on whether, and to what extent, sexual orientation becomes seen as something you are rather than simply something you do. The seeds of that were already present in the West, but elsewhere, the lines were more blurred. I suppose TTL could see either a wider diffusion of Western concepts of sexual orientation, or else a spread into the West of the idea that same-sex intimacy is just another item on the menu. Both could lead to more widespread acceptance, but in different ways; the former, for instance, is more likely to give rise to an organized movement.

More seriously, it allows the Church to eventually found a form of liberation theology that will be seen as quite normal among mainstream catholics, if not likeable, and that's fascinating to me.

It will be one of the mainstream threads of Catholicism, anyway - as with the Catholic Liberals, it will be more a bottom-up movement than otherwise, and there will be institutional resistance to it within the Church as well as in secular politics. At a guess, TTL's liberation theology will have long since found a place within the hierarchy by 2013 (especially since the hierarchy itself may have some new dimensions) but will still be controversial in many circles.

Honestly, I'm rather curious to see how the different dominions take this new Imperial direction. In particular, I'm thinking of TTL South Africa, which is more divided beween AFrikaners and mixed-race africans, but where there are many Englishman who are sick of having to compromise with Afrikaners and blacks to get anything done.

South Africa is certainly interesting because its population includes people who think of themselves in the same category as the white settlers in the other Dominions, Canada and Australasia, and the obviously colonized as in India or West Africa--and people in between on that spectrum, like the whole color spectrum of the Afrikaaners.

It'd make an interesting contast to OTL, if the imperials classified the Afrikaans as colonials, rather than Brits, leading to obvious political alliances against the exploitation.

South Africa has a number of potential fault lines. In addition to the racial and ethnic ones that cross political boundaries, there are the boundaries themselves: the developing union consists of self-governing dominions, princely states, and colonies, all with different political traditions and varying relationships with the empire. The British settlers in the Cape aren't the British settlers in Natal, and the Boers in Pretoria aren't those in Cape Town. Not to mention that Basotholand, Transkei and Zululand are still recruiting grounds for the British army and homes to British regiments, and that the war veterans from all three aren't necessarily satisfied with the way things were before the war. And as to whether the Afrikaners are considered white or British, keep in mind that the leader of the largest Afrikaner party is very much a man of the empire but is also unsympathetic (to say the least) to the Impies' racial views.

There'll be more detail in the next update, which I hope to have ready tomorrow or Friday, but suffice it to say that the union won't be of one mind about the Imperial Party and the developments throughout the empire.

IOTL post-confederation the number of Anglophones slowly dropped from 20% in 1871 to 15% by 1931. But I would suppose ITTL some Britons will seek to move to rapidly-growing Montreal, boosting the Anglo-Quebec community. If too many Anglophone migrants move to Quebec, it might make the provincial government nervous, with growing calls either for separatism or for the dominion to somehow put restrictions on British migration.

If that's where the industrial growth is, some of them will definitely go there. I'd expect the Québécois government to respond with measures like restrictive language laws or gerrymanders that favor rural districts. If the immigrants, or the rest of Canada, push back, that could set up a conflict.

And yes, I'd expect some covert (and, postwar, maybe not so covert) Legion sympathies in Quebec, tending toward the ultramontane/rexist side of the spectrum, especially if Québécois nationalism takes on a religious cast and contrasts itself with English liberalism elsewhere in Canada.

IOTL a not insubstantial number of British settled in Argentina and Chile, so I expect that some (likely a greater number) would migrate to the Southern Cone here as well.

The Argentine community in OTL seems to have been mostly upper-class; I'd expect TTL's immigrants to look more like the Chileans. Maybe some would also go to Paraguay (which, with no Paraguayan War in TTL, is still an industrializing nation) or even to Brazil, although the latter would more likely attract Irish Catholics.

In the South African context, that abbreviation [Impies] might be a bit ambiguous.

Something that TTL's political cartoonists will no doubt be quick to notice...

Decriminalization was part of the Tanzimat in OTL, and occurred before any major changes in the Ottoman world, so I don't see any reason for it not to happen in TTL. I'd guess that a couple of other countries - France, almost certainly - would have followed the Ottomans by this time, and that elsewhere, attitudes range from de facto tolerance to harsh opposition. Most major European and American cities would have a gay scene that everyone knows about, as they did in OTL, and which would be mostly left alone as long as it's discreet.

How quickly things progress beyond that would depend on whether, and to what extent, sexual orientation becomes seen as something you are rather than simply something you do. The seeds of that were already present in the West, but elsewhere, the lines were more blurred. I suppose TTL could see either a wider diffusion of Western concepts of sexual orientation, or else a spread into the West of the idea that same-sex intimacy is just another item on the menu. Both could lead to more widespread acceptance, but in different ways; the former, for instance, is more likely to give rise to an organized movement.

Good.

And excellent timeline, along with "With the Crescent Above Us" I have been reading for some time before joining. Looking forward to more updates, Jonathan.

I took the libetry of drawing an Ilorinball based in the flag posted by Jonathan Eldestein.

A little anachronic tough. The ball hold a takoba sword, used mostly by Hausa and Fulani, while you can see the Ilorin industries in the background. But I thought that such touch of "Jacobin Jihadism", refering the Abacarist identity of the city, would be nice. :)

Sorry for the bumping. :p

Last edited:
The Dominions 1910-17, part 1 of 2

RWoG6Vb.jpg

Anita van der Merwe, The Trekkers’ Land (Cape Town: New Holland, 2003)

… “That the Bloemfontein Meetings happened at all was a miracle,” Jan Smuts would say in 1940, “and that a union came out of them was a feat as great as the loaves and fishes.” He was speaking both of imperial politics – the talks happened during the last half-year of the Asquith ministry, which was the last British government for more than a decade to have the political will to recognize the union – and to the differences between the component entities themselves.

With the Transvaal Volksraad’s decision to attend the talks [1], the number of participants stood at twelve: two independent republics, three self-governing settler colonies (including Griqualand West, in which the settlers were mixed-race), six crown colonies and princely states, and Namaland, which was under nominal German sovereignty but was also a signatory to the prior southern African regional accords. For some, the benefits of federation were obvious, but others stood to make far more uncertain gains, and all of them had substantial regional particularism that in many cases bid fair to derail the negotiations. Issues such as the form of government, the degree of local autonomy, voting rights, language, and military policy were all contentious.

Although Smuts favored a close federation, he realized that one would not be possible in this environment, and proposed instead a union that combined features of Australasia and the German Empire. As in Australasia, each canton would set its own qualifications for citizenship and voting, and would indeed be able to choose whether to hold elections at all or choose its representatives to the federal legislature in another way. And as with the German upper house, the federal parliament operated on a principle of degressive proportionality – i.e., that while the larger states had more representatives, the smaller ones were overrepresented and each had a minimum number of seats. This alleviated the Boers’ concerns that their small citizen population – far less than the enfranchised population of the Cape Colony or even Natal – might be overwhelmed, while also mitigating the Cape’s fear that the republics’ small citizen class as compared to their overall population might turn them into colossal rotten boroughs.

This constitutional structure also represented a compromise between the entities which had self-government and those that did not. The protectorates’ and princely states’ British governors or residents had always spoken for them at meetings of the existing customs union, and if each state had equal representation – as some of the delegates initially proposed – the six governors would have an effective veto over any of the union’s acts. On the other hand, strict representation by population would give the governors little clout in the union parliament, and with Basotholand, Zululand and Transkei so important as military recruiting grounds, London was unwilling to give up so much control.

In at least one of the colonies, the makeup of the parliament was also affected by domestic politics. Regiments from all three of the “martial race colonies” had served abroad in the Great War, and like veterans elsewhere, many had come back wanting more political freedom. This tendency was especially strong among the Sotho, who had more self-government to begin with and who served as elite scouts, irregular cavalry and other roles in which creativity and independent thought were at a premium. Some achieved officer rank – a distinction given to few other southern African troops – and others, who were attached to Malê regiments, came back strongly influenced by Abacarist ideals. The result was something of a domestic revolution: in 1901, the veterans formed Basotholand’s first political party, and three years later, they successfully demanded that the king and chiefs share power with an elected legislature. Like several of the princely states in India and the Niger Valley, the Sotho were modernizing, and they were loath to give up their gains on the altar of federalism.

The Sotho delegates found surprising allies in the Boers, who favored anything that might dilute British influence in the union, and a less surprising one in Smuts, who had commanded Sotho irregulars during the war and come to admire them deeply. In the end, it was decided that the governor would nominate one of Basotholand’s four representatives, the king another, and the remaining two would be elected; in the other protectorates, where traditional authority structures still held sway, the governor would nominate three members and the king or chiefly council the other one. Also, in Bechuanaland and Matabeleland, the governor would make one of his appointments on the advice of the Stellaland and Vryheidsland enclaves respectively. This gave London direct control of only 14 of the union parliament’s 73 seats – Griqualand West and Namaland would also have four seats each, the Orange Free State seven, Natal and the South African Republic nine, and the Cape Colony sixteen.

It was agreed after much debate that each state would maintain its own military forces as well as contributing volunteers to a separate union army – a state of affairs made necessary to placate Germany, which was unwilling for the Nama to put themselves under British command, and London, which insisted that the Zulu, Xhosa and Sotho regiments remain part of the British armed forces. This and the citizenship provisions made for a loose union, but there were also countervailing provisions: a federal high court, a broad range of competences in which the union parliament could legislate, a union civil service, freedom of movement, and a bill of (very) basic rights that applied to all South Africans and sidestepped the question of who was a citizen.

All this, incredibly, was achieved in two months of negotiation: the delegates reported out a constitution on January 6, 1911 and the legislatures or governors of the component states, which had been kept apprised of the meetings, and whose running debate had often influenced the talks, ratified it within days. Smuts’ role in breaking the frequent impasses cannot be overstated, nor can the importance of his timing: the third reading of the South Africa Act on February 16, in which Westminster gave its blessing to the union, was literally the last vote the Asquith Parliament took before the fatal debate over the American debt relief package.

The new federation was quickly occupied with the empire’s declining economy and the growing presence of the Imperial Party on the British political scene. South Africa itself fared better than many other parts of the empire: its precious metal and diamond resources insulated it somewhat from the depression, and the act of union itself jump-started the economy and masked the effects of the downturn. Smuts saw the depression almost as an opportunity to bring the empire closer together, and along with Canada, was one of the key architects of the 1912 Imperial Finance Board. [2] The quick collapse of the Balfour government over the board was genuinely puzzling to Smuts, who was too far from London to understand British fears that the dominions’ push for closer cooperation really meant subordination.

In the meantime, the Imperials appealed to many in South Africa who, like their British counterparts, were frightened by the rapid changes. They were especially popular in Natal, which unlike the Cape had a jealously guarded whites-only franchise: most voters appreciated the economic and defensive benefits of union, but many were distinctly uneasy about the bill of rights and the twelve African and mixed-race members of the federal parliament. But many in the Cape were also attracted by the Imperials’ racial policies and their promise to open Matabeleland and Bechuanaland for settlement, while the hard-liners in the Afrikaner Front and in the Boer republics saw the party as an ally against Smuts’ cross-racial coalition and the more liberal elements within their own societies.

The effects would be felt in April 1915, when the first union parliament completed its turn and the second was chosen. By that time, all six of the protectorates had Imperial residents or governors. London had also, in late 1914, authorized the governor of Matabeleland to reserve land for white settlement, prompting an influx of immigrants and a wave of armed resistance that would become known as the Second Matabeleland War. Basotholand was also in a state of virtual insurrection – the Imperial resident was unable to enter the colony, and exercised his functions from Cape Town – and while the disorder made many voters doubt the wisdom of the party’s policies, it convinced others that a firm hand was necessary. In addition to the 14 members nominated directly by the governors, the Imperial Party won six seats in Natal (where it had controlled the state government for two years), five in the Cape Colony and two each in the Orange Free State and the Transvaal.

With the three Afrikaner Front members as allies, the Imperials effectively controlled 31 of the 73 seats, not enough to unseat Smuts as prime minister but more than enough to be influential on issues where the ruling parties were divided. Their votes were key to forcing the union to crush the Matabeleland revolt ruthlessly rather than pursue a more conciliatory approach that Smuts preferred – a measure that made large parts of Matabeleland safe for white farmers and ranchers, but made the province a running sore of guerrilla warfare and refugees – and to packing the high court with judges who interpreted the bill of rights narrowly and were willing to rubber-stamp the land seizures. By 1916, Smuts had resigned as prime minister and taken his Afrikaner Bond out of the government, ushering in a weak independent ministry that leaned heavily on both the Bond and the Imperials for individual votes.

The Imperial Party’s growth brought conflicts of its own, especially with the Boers. The party’s view of the Boers was ambivalent: they were white, but not British, and while the Imperials were willing to accept white Afrikaners as allies, they considered them distinctly second-class. The Imperials consistently favored British interests in their land allocations and spending priorities, and in April 1916, the Bond and the party’s two members from the Orange Free State defected, throwing the union’s government into even further confusion.

In May, the parliament voted by a narrow majority to dissolve and the government resigned, but the governor-general rejected the resignation rather than allowing an early election that the Imperials were likely to lose. This was technically legal, but it clearly violated the spirit of South Africa’s charter of responsible government, and represented an exercise of British power that was particularly frightening to the Boer republics and Namaland. All three began to seriously debate withdrawing from the union – a step that would, coincidentally, leave the Imperials just one vote short of a majority, given that the violence in Basotholand left the representatives of the Sotho king and people unable to attend. Smuts visited their capitals personally, arguing that they should instead force the governor-general to back down by threatening to hold a new election anyway. The crisis was still ongoing in late October, when rebellion broke out in Amritsar…

yh7MuZC.jpg

Leo Zammit, The Accidental Dominion (Valletta: St. John, 1980)

… British Malta was a backwater for much of the nineteenth century, regarded as a naval station and little else, its population mostly ignored. In 1849, Britain had allowed a restricted Maltese electorate to choose eight of 18 members of a weak governing council, and for half a century the reforms stopped there: in 1900, elections were still decided by four percent of Malta’s population, and the governors sent from London still reigned as virtual feudal lords. [3]

Through the nineteenth century, most Maltese greeted neglect and poverty with a resigned acceptance, but the Great War changed all that irrevocably. Throughout the war, Malta was an important naval station and an even more important field hospital. Many Maltese volunteers served in the British army and navy, and others went to fight for Italy when the Italian army seemed near collapse. The returning veterans brought back new political horizons – those who fought in Italy, especially, often returned with anarchist or socialist sympathies – and like the Irish and Indians, the Maltese believed their war service deserved a reward.

The Asquith government was not unsympathetic to the calls for reform, and dispatched a ministerial commission to talk with the Maltese leadership. The commission was initially afraid that allowing greater self-government would play into the radicals’ hands, but the Maltese delegates convinced them that without liberal political institutions, the only outlet available would be the extra-legal arena where the radicals would dominate.

The end result of the talks was the “Hinds Constitution” of 1904, which granted responsible parliamentary government but divided the parliament between a lower house elected by universal suffrage and a corporatist upper house chosen by a limited electorate. Malta was also granted the status of an imperial domain rather than a dominion – the first part of the empire outside Africa to gain this status, and a sign that, like the Malê, the Maltese were considered of unsuitable race and religion to be ranked with Canada or Australasia. Many of the Maltese, quite naturally, felt slighted, but they also realized their fundamental inequality of bargaining power.

With self-government came increasing educational, commercial and political ties with Italy. Many Maltese attended Italian universities during the postwar decade, an Italian-language newspaper was founded in Valletta, and Italian literacy spread beyond the upper class to the growing merchant bourgeoisie and even many working-class families who worked at the port or catered to Italian visitors. Politics also took on an Italian cast: the Maltese Labor Party, founded in 1907, borrowed many ideas from the anti-clerical Italian left and from Friulan anarcho-communism. This met with sharp reaction from both the nascent Catholic Liberal movement, which also claimed the working-class mantle, and from the clerical conservatives. The 1908 and 1912 elections saw the Catholic Liberals and the conservative Maltese National Party forced into an uneasy coalition in order to keep Labor out of power.

Malta’s increasingly volatile politics were not mirrored in its economy. The island domain escaped many of the worst effects of the 1910s depression: the naval base provided steady employment, the economy was tied as much to Italy as to Britain, and seasonal agricultural work in Italy, Tunisia or Ottoman Libya was often available. But the importance of naval spending to the Maltese economy also meant that Malta was in no position to reject British demands.

There were few enough of these during the early 1910s, or even during the first two years of the Imperial government: Malta was low on the Imperials’ priorities, and their racial attitudes toward the Maltese were more conflicted than their view of Indians or Africans. But with the outbreak of the Indian war of independence, Malta was suddenly an important way station again, and one from which much would be demanded…

_______

[1] See post 3196.

[2] See post 3598.

[3] In TTL, with Cranbrook rather than Salisbury as Prime Minister, Lord Knutsford held another ministerial post rather than being Secretary of State for the Colonies, and never promulgated the 1887 constitution that was given to Malta in OTL.

Sulemain

Banned
Okay, Jan Smuts ITTL is like OTL, but without the stink of hypocrisy, which is cool :) . I remember a story by, I think it was Harry Turtledove, where a time-traveller from the future goes back in time to help Nelson Mandela, misses and gives Smuts a message to pass on. Or something like that.

In OTL, Malta was very pro-British; almost joined the UK directly at one point, could have been as integral as Somerset :) .

Technically, Malta is not outside Africa. :cool:
The OTL identity politics in Malta are very complicated and have nuances I don't really grasp in full, but in the interwar period a pro-Italian feeeling very much existed.
ITTL, it's going to be way more complicated. I see a post-Westfalian arrangement involving Italy as the likeliest outcome, but not ncesssarily a simple one.

Technically, Malta is not outside Africa. :cool:
The OTL identity politics in Malta are very complicated and have nuances I don't really grasp in full, but in the interwar period a pro-Italian feeeling very much existed.
ITTL, it's going to be way more complicated. I see a post-Westfalian arrangement involving Italy as the likeliest outcome, but not ncesssarily a simple one.

And thank you for making me learn about Italy-Malta relations. :D I think I've learned more about the the world here than in any of my history books.

Fabulous update, JE. I can't wait to see how the Imperial Party is revieved in Canada and Australasia.

Who are the settlers Matabeleland? If they're the undertrodden lower class voters that made the Imperial Party possible, and they're numerous enough, there will for sure be some tension between them and the anti-Imperial members of the federation. The settled regions would quickly become staunch Imperial supporters, coddled by subsidies and incentives to settle issues by the Governor-General and what pill the IP has over the Federations commerce legislation. At best, they'll be an electoral thorn in the Smutsists' side, at worst, an openly hostile, racist state heavily supported by the Empire.

And excellent timeline, along with "With the Crescent Above Us" I have been reading for some time before joining. Looking forward to more updates, Jonathan.

Great to see you here! Please keep reading and commenting.

I took the libetry of drawing an Ilorinball

Very cool! I'd never heard of the Polandball thing before, but an Ilorinball is certainly a fine addition to the family.

And don't worry about anachronisms. Abacar's original capital was Sokoto, the hybrid culture that grew up during the First Republic was at least as much Hausa and Fulani as it was Yoruba, and the Malê aren't very concerned with authenticity anyway. The design captures the spirit of TTL very well.

Okay, Jan Smuts ITTL is like OTL, but without the stink of hypocrisy, which is cool :) .

Well, you remember who his commander was during the Great War. He's had his horizons broadened a little more, and at a younger age, than his OTL brother.

In OTL, Malta was very pro-British; almost joined the UK directly at one point, could have been as integral as Somerset :) .

In TTL, there's no Mussolini to kill the pro-Italian feeling. The Maltese will certainly keep a strong attachment to Britain, and their Italian cultural affinity will be tempered by fear of irredentism, but they'll end up more Italianized than OTL. A post-Westphalian arrangement is an option, as is eventual independence or other possibilities.

And thank you for making me learn about Italy-Malta relations. :D I think I've learned more about the the world here than in any of my history books.

Yeah, that's one of the best things about writing this story - my readers keep educating me.

Who are the settlers Matabeleland? If they're the undertrodden lower class voters that made the Imperial Party possible, and they're numerous enough, there will for sure be some tension between them and the anti-Imperial members of the federation

One of the very few saving graces of the affair is that they mostly aren't. Matabeleland is a dangerous place for settlers - plenty of Great War weapons floating around, and lots of Ndebele who are unhappy about the arrangements of the last twenty years being upset - so the settlers are mainly ranchers and cash-crop farmers with resources to protect themselves. The Imperials are hoping that once Matabeleland is pacified, the British forts will grow into towns and small farmers and working-class settlers will be able to come, but the Ndebele have no intention of cooperating.

The settlers are going to be there, and cause trouble, long after the Imperials fall, but it won't be OTL Southern Rhodesia either.