Malê Rising

Always. (Semper Fi).... :)
American culture's likely to have quite a few jokes about cars and the Marines. Perhaps an automaker has used the phrase "Semper Fi" to boast about the reliability of their vehicles. (The alt-Jeep would be a good one for that.)

Then again, given America's lack of involvement in foreign wars ITTL, it's likely that the Marine Corps doesn't have the sort of pop culture reputation that it gained from OTL's World War II. The Marines will undoubtedly still exist, but they'll likely be seen as part of the Navy, more like "marines" as they're known in the rest of the world: the armed units defending ships from boarding parties. Though that doesn't preclude them from gaining a badass image; just look at OTL's Royal Marines, which could serve as a model for TTL's USMC.

The history and culture is so different that we could have an anime equivalent develop anywhere.

We could even have the idea that animation is only suitable for small children's programs never develop, so it's all more like anime than western animation.

The history and culture is so different that we could have an anime equivalent develop anywhere.

We could even have the idea that animation is only suitable for small children's programs never develop, so it's all more like anime than western animation.

Well, even though anime owes a lot to Walt Disney it also owes a lot to those Japanese artistic and literary traditions that influenced the birth of manga as well; an anime equivalent won't be able to develop anywhere, but there are a lot of places in the Malêverse where Western comics could be adopted by non-Western populations and then turned into something different through the influence of local artistic and literary sensibilities. China and Korea both seem likely candidates, since their culture is closely related to Japan's - due to millennia of Chinese influence - but there are a lot of other possibilities, like South and Southeast Asia or even West Africa. The Great Lakes region, not so much, since it wasn't influenced by Western culture as much as the rest of the continent.

I imagine being seen as above it all gives an increased amount of job security for him. Probably also can be used for dealing with corruption, so the various parties can dig up evidence on each other and he deals with the worst of them so everyone thinks justice is for all.

I'd say probably not that - corruption investigations are too close to the ordinary criminal justice system and ordinary politics for the post-1950 Ottoman state to feel comfortable putting them in the Sultan's hands. The Sultan's role is a somewhat fluid one - any given Sultan will have the influence that he and the political stakeholders agree he should have - but there are very strong unwritten rules against that influence extending to partisan politics or secular law. The exception would be corruption by religious figures.

But the e is silent in French too (e.g., Sartre /saʁtʁ/, macabre /makabʁ/, etc.).

Fair enough - my error. The American pronunciation does include a hard R, though.

Always. (Semper Fi).... :)

American culture's likely to have quite a few jokes about cars and the Marines. Perhaps an automaker has used the phrase "Semper Fi" to boast about the reliability of their vehicles. (The alt-Jeep would be a good one for that.)

Cheesy tabloid headlines too: "SEMPER FI: Beloved '54 Courier Still On the Road After a Million Miles."

Then again, given America's lack of involvement in foreign wars ITTL, it's likely that the Marine Corps doesn't have the sort of pop culture reputation that it gained from OTL's World War II. The Marines will undoubtedly still exist, but they'll likely be seen as part of the Navy, more like "marines" as they're known in the rest of the world: the armed units defending ships from boarding parties. Though that doesn't preclude them from gaining a badass image; just look at OTL's Royal Marines, which could serve as a model for TTL's USMC.

I agree that the Royal Marines might be a good comparison. TTL's USN has the same place in the American military that the RN traditionally did in the British: the elite, flagship force, and the one charged with keeping threats far enough from American soil that the Army doesn't have to defend against them. The US Marines would be the American infantry force most likely to see action, not only against boarders but on antiterrorist raids and similar short-term operations. They'd also be the first in line for peacekeeping deployments. So definitely a badass image, albeit not the OTL image of being the front-line fighters of America's wars.

Well, even though anime owes a lot to Walt Disney it also owes a lot to those Japanese artistic and literary traditions that influenced the birth of manga as well; an anime equivalent won't be able to develop anywhere, but there are a lot of places in the Malêverse where Western comics could be adopted by non-Western populations and then turned into something different through the influence of local artistic and literary sensibilities. China and Korea both seem likely candidates, since their culture is closely related to Japan's - due to millennia of Chinese influence - but there are a lot of other possibilities, like South and Southeast Asia or even West Africa.

I believe I mentioned at one point that the Ottoman world might be like this - that its success in retaining political and cultural coherence (albeit for certain values of each) could make it more open to adapting Western cultural artifacts in a way similar to OTL Japan. I could imagine this happening in Persia or India too - I'd pay real money to see animation with a Mughal aesthetic.

As stated previously, anyone with a background in the relevant cultures and art forms is welcome to develop this - I'd love to see your ideas.

Are there any constructed languages like Esperanto made to facilitate global communication and commerce ITTL?

I'd imagine that there are - the idea of an international language predates the POD, and such languages were one of the utopian ideas that kept cropping up during the nineteenth century. The earlier growth of a post-national ideal ITTL might actually mean more people attempting to construct international auxiliary languages.

I'd expect that most of these languages will still be regionally based - it would be very hard to build a global language drawing from many language families and grammars and still achieve the goal of making it easy to learn and understand. OTOH, the language-builders of TTL might be more willing to raid, say, Malay for simplified grammar, and closer relationships between Europe and the Islamic world might mean greater willingness to build a European-Arabic construct similar to the medieval Mediterranean lingua franca.

(Also, the story is now finished.)

Last edited:
So, I've been re-reading the earlier parts of this TL, and I've gotten a littel curious about the state of Ilorin immediately prior to the Oyo-Company war. In particular:

What would the total population of Ilorin City be around that time? Secondly, it's mentioned that the Yoruba states mainly trade through Lagos... My knowledge of Nigerian geography is nonexistant, what route would finished textiles and iron take to reach Lagos? Overland, or are there navigable rivers? Also, how diverse is Ilorin's iron industry at that time... what sort of parts do they make for the Royal Navy, and what other machinery/weapons would they make?

Sorry I missed this.

So, I've been re-reading the earlier parts of this TL, and I've gotten a littel curious about the state of Ilorin immediately prior to the Oyo-Company war. In particular:

What would the total population of Ilorin City be around that time? Secondly, it's mentioned that the Yoruba states mainly trade through Lagos... My knowledge of Nigerian geography is nonexistant, what route would finished textiles and iron take to reach Lagos? Overland, or are there navigable rivers? Also, how diverse is Ilorin's iron industry at that time... what sort of parts do they make for the Royal Navy, and what other machinery/weapons would they make?

Ilorin City: Going back into the files, I see a reference to it having a population of 380,000 in 1916, but that would be almost forty years after the war and an extensive period of railroad-driven growth. I'd guess that the population in the late 1870s would be on the order of 100,000 with a few tens of thousands more in satellite towns - a growing industrial city, but not a large one by European or American standards.

Lagos: The trade with the Yoruba city-states and with Ilorin would mostly be overland. There would be some water-based trade via the Ogun River and across the lagoon, but the Niger river system doesn't drain this area. The Ilorin Republic does have access to the Niger at Jebba, which is one of the reasons why it found the Company's increasing stranglehold on the delta to be alarming.

The Ilorin naval industry of the time was focused on high-quality, semi-artisanal production - the kind of parts that couldn't just be stamped out with the technology of the time and for which small-scale local production was cost-effective. Basically, it would be parts that need to be finely machined. At this time Ilorin would also be making small arms and light artillery as well as farm implements and many of their own industrial tools.

Sorry I missed this.

Ilorin City: Going back into the files, I see a reference to it having a population of 380,000 in 1916, but that would be almost forty years after the war and an extensive period of railroad-driven growth. I'd guess that the population in the late 1870s would be on the order of 100,000 with a few tens of thousands more in satellite towns - a growing industrial city, but not a large one by European or American standards.

Lagos: The trade with the Yoruba city-states and with Ilorin would mostly be overland. There would be some water-based trade via the Ogun River and across the lagoon, but the Niger river system doesn't drain this area. The Ilorin Republic does have access to the Niger at Jebba, which is one of the reasons why it found the Company's increasing stranglehold on the delta to be alarming.

The Ilorin naval industry of the time was focused on high-quality, semi-artisanal production - the kind of parts that couldn't just be stamped out with the technology of the time and for which small-scale local production was cost-effective. Basically, it would be parts that need to be finely machined. At this time Ilorin would also be making small arms and light artillery; they also made farm implements and many of their own industrial tools.

I see. Thanks! Are those small arms they make licensed copies of the Martini-Henri rifles they used during the Oyo-Company war?

You mentioned mostly land trade... would any significant trade run along the Asa river than runs through Ilorin, or does it act purely as a source of water(power) for factories?

I see. Thanks! Are those small arms they make licensed copies of the Martini-Henri rifles they used during the Oyo-Company war?

You mentioned mostly land trade... would any significant trade run along the Asa river than runs through Ilorin, or does it act purely as a source of water(power) for factories?

Yes to the first and no to the second - the Asa isn't one of Nigeria's navigable waterways and its only industrial use was as a power source.

Hey everyone,

I'd just like to encourage everyone who loved this excellent timeline to vote for Jonathan Edelstein to receive the Perkins Award, to be found at this link. On the basis of this and his other contributions to the site, it's very well-deserved. As there are multiple votes, you can also of course vote for some of the other fine candidates as well. :)

Cheers,
Ganesha

This wiki page is a full list of Malê Rising posts!

In addition, almost all the story posts are illustrated (the first few pages aren't, but after that, I started looking for artwork for every update), so you can look for posts with artwork if you only want to read the updates. There was a lot of good discussion in the comments, but considering how long this thread is, I fully understand if you want to give them a miss.

Thanks to everyone and especially @Ganesha for your continuing interest. BTW, for anyone who's interested, I've written a third Mary Ejiofor story as well as a near-future one-shot involving Zambians on Titan, both of which are under submission but which you can read here now.

*PRIOR POST*

Hey everyone,

I'd again like to encourage everyone to vote for Jonathan and his wonderful contributions to the site for the Perkins Award at this link. Due to some shenanigans, the vote had to be restarted and all old votes were thrown out. I know that all of us who read this magnificent timeline (and others) knows how Jonathan contributed something unique to AH.com with his work.

Cheers,
Ganesha

I do not mean to, in any way, insult Male Rising. It is my favourite time-line on this forum and the reason why I joined. However, I would like clarification on a few points.

Corrected version of previous post :
The only route for bulk goods from Spain to France would be two railroads which cross the border within 500m of the coast. Britain could have shelled the French side of the tracks, since it was already blockading France.