Look to the West Volume VII: The Eye Against the Prism

Thande

Donor
Thanks for the comments everyone - obviously not going to respond to questions if the answers are spoilers, but I appreciate the speculation!

Some kind of four-wheeled bike? Is this a jab at Segways and other transport fads?
I was mainly thinking of quad bikes here, and being different from OTL by being road-legal. Ironically, right after writing that bit, I was nearly run over outside a carol service by some twits on road-illegal quad bikes :rolleyes:

When's the Book 3 paperback coming out?
I don't know, I don't control that, but I will ask about it.

Four African Lions

Guinea, Ethiopia, Matetwa, and a Copperbelt state if the region survives.

Guinea: Already mentioned as industrialized in the present, large amount of Sub-Saharan Africa's area and possibly population. Ties to the ENA

Ethiopia: Ties to Russia, frontline against the Eternal State, has a coastline, never colonized

Matetwa: Not near the Combine, industrializing

Botswana did really well OTL until HIV hit it particularly hard.

A Botswana with coastal access through Namibia could be one of the Four African Lions, if HIV works out differently ITTL

I narratively like how Alfarus resolves the Garderista/Familista split in the creepiest possible way, while also being pragmatic in conceding something to both sides (although the compromise leans on the Familista position overall, it does so also in a way that the worst impulses in it are made synergical with the worst ones in Garderism).

However, I tend to think that Alfarus is, indeed, a fanatical true believer. However, he is a very practical sort of fanatic - everything that advances the cause is fine, including compromises on principle.

Last edited:
I assume [Botswana, Zimbabwe] etc. will be spared the same fate simply because the Societists have annexed enough territory already.

Another side note: With the Amazon, Kongo and Nusantaran rainforests under Combine control, won't CO2 emissions from deforestation increase earlier?
What about an earlier Industrial Revolution occurring ITTL?

However, I tend to think that Alfarus is, indeed, a fanatical true believer. However, he is a very practical sort of fanatic - everything that advances the cause is fine, including compromises on principle.

I think that unless a person is completely bereft of curiosity, there's no way that they can establish a whole new political system and just not care about its ideas on any level. Maybe someone who comes along later, who's learned to recite the lines but thinks they're all bunk anyways, can be that way. But for the person who writes the lines that later generations recite, I don't think there's any way that the riddles of governance by the Sanchezic Law are not going to interest Alfarus at least on the level of a good crossword or something.

Also, if he was a hypocrite hoping to ride a political movement to power, why would he join the Societists? It took the fiasco of Monterroso's rule to actually make them a competitive political movement, and their victory didn't really become assured until the uncovering of megacorp trade secrets. Seems like he would have just linked up with the Mentians if he didn't care about ideology from the start. But then again he might have done exactly that, and jumped to the Societists during Vibora. We'll never know...

EDIT: Come to think of it, I wonder if his advocacy of the Olajus tests was exactly that sort of "compromise". Maybe he knew the tests were dumb and fully expected (and hoped for) them to be overhauled after his death. But until that day, he needs to show he's unequivocally the Boss. He needs to build a certain reputation and leadership style. So he intentionally adopts an irrational position and challenges people to call him out, which they won't unless they're asking for trouble. Allies like Lupus who might otherwise fancy themselves as "having the Kapud's ear" are reminded that Alfarus can take or ignore their advice, no matter how sensible, as he pleases. People like Romerus who can't take the hint get punished so harshly that no one else would think of using evidence (especially evidence derived on fallible human memory/testimony and not the truths of the Biblioteka!) in arguments with Alfarus ever again.

No one knows the Boss's mind but the Boss. No use trying to predict or manipulate him. He is beyond your comprehension. If he likes you then just keep doing what you're doing and if he doesn't... you'll know.

Last edited:
1) why on Earth would it be banned?
2) why, too, would a 'ban' do anything to stop the practice? Central government laws don't have a lot of traction in the rural fringes of most of Africa.
1) It's not a global trend and therefore verboten, like horse based dishes mentioned to have been suppressed in Carolina.
2) Africa TTL is much better developed, so I presume the rule of law will generally be stronger. When the choice is stop eating bushmeat or get your kids sent off to the creches for your anti-human behavior I think the practice will die off.

*Edit- Those things besides Thande has always used a pretty hard form of the butterfly effect, and disease progression is an inherently random process as is, so HIV may not even exist in a recognizable form because of a string of mutations that diverged ~300 years ago.

Last edited:
The English Physics Institute Regrets to Announce
The Christmas Lecture “The Hidden World of Inversion Theory”
is CANCELLED due to Dx Beatrice Bristow’s illness.

I am strangely reassured that, even with the utter weirdness of TTL's British Isles, the Christmas Lecture remains a thing. I mean, not this year, apparently, but in general.

To give Alfarus credit, it appears he initially sought to test the veracity of Olajus’ methods, which (as every schoolchild knows) involved not merely vague and largely meaningless philosophical questions (‘if you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?’) but also decidedly unscientific measurements of the skull (craniography) and body.

Oh, good lord, an unholy mix of 19th century anthropometry and modern "personality tests"? How did the Combine even function?

Karlus Barkalus (formerly Carlos Barca)

I was honestly half expecting this to be leading to some kind of Scrooge McDuck reference.

Oh, good lord, an unholy mix of 19th century anthropometry and modern "personality tests"? How did the Combine even function?

I imagine the Combine has made the tests specifically tailored for the sons (and in some cases daughters) of whoever is in charge, so in practice it’ll be nothing more than an aristocratic oligarchy.