Should the President be able to be re-elected in consecutive terms?

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry for the double post, but I just got hit with an angle on foreign policy.

Talking about reaction to Texas annexing the DR, I don't think we have considered how much an impact that could have in Hispanic nations. Because this is Texas annexing a sovereign Hispanic nation, and subsequently fighting a war to hold it against an insurgency of Dominican patriots.

Because even if Texas plans to hold the DR as equal footing to the other commonwealths, that will not matter to many. It will be seen as imperialism and have the same knee jerk reaction that the Spanish return did. What's more it may be seen as a betrayal, with Texas turning its back on the legacy of heroism it may have cultivated fighting against Walker to preserve Hispanic freedom from American Imperialism. A massive case of "What the Heck Hero?!"

Mexico will of course cry foul and use it to vilify Texas.

The Yucatan will likely officially support the move but have a vocal minority protest. With France turning its attention elsewhere, Merida needs Austin as a firm ally if they hope to retake Chiapas. Besides they could say Texas' expansion is much like their own, necessary war to build a better peace after the conflict.

The biggest impact may be with the Central Three. Any wariness over Yucatan and Texan domination was likely waved in part by the fact those nations have fought to preserve Hispanic liberty in the Filibuster Wars. Texas' actions and Yucatan's endorsement though remind them that these are ambitious conquering nations and they may be seen as ripe fruit in the future. Given the power disparity I doubt they will do little more than officially protest; but that behind closed doors and maybe among the public there will be renewed incentive to unite the three republics into a Confederation of Central America to safeguard against aggression.

For Latin America at large i think it will see a souring of views and relations. The Dominican victory over Spain seen as a grand deed before, and now Baez seen as a traitor who sold out his nation; and the Texans as his accomplices crushing Dominican liberty for the sake of imperial ambitions.

Sorry for the double post, but I just got hit with an angle on foreign policy.

Talking about reaction to Texas annexing the DR, I don't think we have considered how much an impact that could have in Hispanic nations. Because this is Texas annexing a sovereign Hispanic nation, and subsequently fighting a war to hold it against an insurgency of Dominican patriots.

Because even if Texas plans to hold the DR as equal footing to the other commonwealths, that will not matter to many. It will be seen as imperialism and have the same knee jerk reaction that the Spanish return did. What's more it may be seen as a betrayal, with Texas turning its back on the legacy of heroism it may have cultivated fighting against Walker to preserve Hispanic freedom from American Imperialism. A massive case of "What the Heck Hero?!"

Mexico will of course cry foul and use it to vilify Texas.

The Yucatan will likely officially support the move but have a vocal minority protest. With France turning its attention elsewhere, Merida needs Austin as a firm ally if they hope to retake Chiapas. Besides they could say Texas' expansion is much like their own, necessary war to build a better peace after the conflict.

The biggest impact may be with the Central Three. Any wariness over Yucatan and Texan domination was likely waved in part by the fact those nations have fought to preserve Hispanic liberty in the Filibuster Wars. Texas' actions and Yucatan's endorsement though remind them that these are ambitious conquering nations and they may be seen as ripe fruit in the future. Given the power disparity I doubt they will do little more than officially protest; but that behind closed doors and maybe among the public there will be renewed incentive to unite the three republics into a Confederation of Central America to safeguard against aggression.

For Latin America at large i think it will see a souring of views and relations. The Dominican victory over Spain seen as a grand deed before, and now Baez seen as a traitor who sold out his nation; and the Texans as his accomplices crushing Dominican liberty for the sake of imperial ambitions.

It's true that there is going to be a large amount of controversy surrounding the annexation, with many Texans inside the Republic also decrying it as a betrayal of Texan ideals. However, the annexation won't be as simple as Texas invading and creating a new Commonwealth, as there's going to be loads of different factors in the beginning and throughout the conflict that make it grey for all sides.

Also most of the Latin American nations won't have much room to criticize Texas due to several events within their own regions that will occur within the following decade. For some nations, if they try to condemn Texas, they'll be seen as hypocrites for their own policies. (South American War).

One thing I would like to see is Texas possibly expanding into South America

There's no possibility that Texas will expand to South America. The regional identities and independence of most of the nations have been set in stone by this point and its too far away for Austin to maintain effective control. Texas will start to get involved in South American politics, but only after the Great War.

Also most of the Latin American nations won't have much room to criticize Texas due to several events within their own regions that will occur within the following decade. For some nations, if they try to condemn Texas, they'll be seen as hypocrites for their own policies. (South American War).

I did think Ecuador would end up annexed by the Confederation. I take it the South American War is what you are talking about?

There's no possibility that Texas will expand to South America. The regional identities and independence of most of the nations have been set in stone by this point and its too far away for Austin to maintain effective control. Texas will start to get involved in South American politics, but only after the Great War.

Yeah, the only way I could see Texas expanding there is for them to buy Suriname from the Dutch and later annex Guyana during the Great War. An that' an ideal scenario for Texas expansion there I think, so fairly unlikely.

For Spain I wonder if the assumption Isabella will be overthrown after the Spanish American War ITTL is wrong? maybe she gets overthrown first and a Republic briefly rules Spain only to get caught up in the war. The lost war discredits the republic and then the Carlist sweep in?

Kaiser, is there any Pan German sentiment in Switzerland ITTL with the different Germany and the early unfication?
I don’t think so. the Swiss have always stayed out of foriegn affairs after the napoleonic wars somehow I don’t see that changing. Could be wrong though

The Swiss Confederation has been legally independent from the Holy Roman Empire since 1648 (Treaty of Westphalia). Even before that, the Swiss didn't care much about the Germans.

Some swiss German threw stones at a Prussian reception after the Franco-Prussian war, they were afraid of pan-germanism and view other germans negatively.

Ah, I was wondering if the more liberal German Empire ITTL might inspire a fringe Pan German movement in Switzerland or something.

Kaiser, is there any Pan German sentiment in Switzerland ITTL with the different Germany and the early unfication?

To settle this question once and for all, no, Switzerland will not in any form join the German Empire. While Switzerland can on some levels be stated to be a Germanic country, it does not have a large German national identity currently and the political establishment does not want to become a minor vassel to the Hohenzollerns. There are some fringe pan-German Nationalists, but most of the population wants to stay independent and Kaiser Wilhelm is content to just let them be and enjoy the HUUGE expansion that Germany has undertaken recently. While Germany was able to manipulate many situations to their favor such as Liechtenstien, Schleswig-Holstein, and Austria, if they annex Switzerland then it's just going to get everyone in Europe to turn against them. Plus Switzerland is already a good buffer state against Italy, which Prussia is wary of for fear of causing German Catholics to demand greater power and control of the Empire.

By the way good news guys. In a little over a month I will be finishing the fall semester of my university and my internship is going to end soon, meaning that beyond homework and the occasional test, I'll have more time to dedicate to writing. And I aim to finally write the Black States update within the week after I update Gihren's Glory. It'll be quite a doozy and will become one of, if not the definite departure point for OTL. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more!

To settle this question once and for all, no, Switzerland will not in any form join the German Empire. While Switzerland can on some levels be stated to be a Germanic country, it does not have a large German national identity currently and the political establishment does not want to become a minor vassel to the Hohenzollerns. There are some fringe pan-German Nationalists, but most of the population wants to stay independent and Kaiser Wilhelm is content to just let them be and enjoy the HUUGE expansion that Germany has undertaken recently. While Germany was able to manipulate many situations to their favor such as Liechtenstien, Schleswig-Holstein, and Austria, if they annex Switzerland then it's just going to get everyone in Europe to turn against them. Plus Switzerland is already a good buffer state against Italy, which Prussia is wary of for fear of causing German Catholics to demand greater power and control of the Empire.

Yeah, Hitler really hated the Swiss for this exact reason: they were a Germanic society that rejected the hyper nationalism of the Nazis.

What is the status of the French language and culture In Louisiana? in OTL French speakers were often repressed after the civil war. how would it differ in TTL, especially with a Francophone ally in Quebec?

What is the status of the French language and culture In Louisiana? in OTL French speakers were often repressed after the civil war. how would it differ in TTL, especially with a Francophone ally in Quebec?

There is also Texas to consider. The Franco Louisiana culture has developed strong ties to the Francophone community of East Texas with both picking up some of the others culture. Likely family and economic ties existed between the two communities before the Civil War and defining them after the war will be a major concern for the Francophones I expect.

Exactly so with the noticeable differences in TTL will the francophone continue to grow and develop or will it still go the route of OTL