Should the President be able to be re-elected in consecutive terms?

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What's Christmas like in Texas?

Mostly the same as today with a slightly more religious tone on celebrations and importance of Jesus' birth due to how more socially conservative (not completely though in many aspects of western culture) modern day is, along with how most of Christianity still has a more active participation in North America. Individual celebrations mostly depend on what your culture is. Different families will have different customs depending on their ethnic origin. A Chinese Texan family will mostly likely have a vastly different Christmas than a Tejano family. Though overall every Texan has a somewhat similar experience. This is something I'll explain later on as we get to the 21st century.

Shoot, I thought there was an update.

As for the question my guess is that its still mostly 'old country traditions'. I heard most of the 'American' Christmas culture started in the South and spread North overtime. So I am guessing the American-Texan Christmas is pretty similar still to the holiday in the USA. The French, Germans, and Tejanos, likely have kept or brought most of their own traditions. But this may be changing a bit with the post war breakdown in favor of a more 'Texan' identity.

Hmm, say what is the culture for the large Chinese community? Does any Chinese region hold particular dominance in that sector? What kind of religious situation is there in the Asian Texan community?

I'll delve into Chinese culture later on as immigration from China starts to spike up after the end of the Taiping Revolution. I'd say it's close to OTL Chinese-Americans, though there is more of a keeping of cultural traditions from China due to the Chinese being able to integrate relatively smoothly compared to OTL. Most Chinese tend to come from the coast of China, particularly in the South such as the Cantonese region. For now in the first years of Chinese immigration, most will be irreligious though eventually there will be a large conversion to Christiannity until most Chinese are Christians. There has been a buildup of a significant Buddhist community on the West coast though. I would say that in TTL 2018 that you can find some Buddhist temples in California.

I would say that in TTL 2018 that you can find some Buddhist temples in California

No offense, but can’t you already do that in OTL today? I mean, if you can find some in Texas today, then there ought to be a lot more in California. This is all in OTL and real life. Or are we saying there’s a lot more and they’re a whole lot grander looking?

No offense, but can’t you already do that in OTL today? I mean, if you can find some in Texas today, then there ought to be a lot more in California. This is all in OTL and real life. Or are we saying there’s a lot more and they’re a whole lot grander looking?

Yeah even with the larger conversion rates you imply with the larger Asian immigrant population overall, and other converts, I would expect there to be a sizable Buddhist presence.

What party is Military Governor Johnston part of? I expect making a military ruled territory was not popular in several quarters.

Well gradual emancipation won't please everyone of course. But with ay luck ut means that moderates on both sides will be on board and this can proceed smoothly.

But as you point out it is not all peace on the horizon. The Comanche and other tribes remain independent and Texas' connectedness means this has to be addressed and they have the military force now to force the issue. But also there is the fact Mexico while beaten back has grown and prepares for another round.

The war is over now for the Wild West.

Good update. I like how you avoided the trap of a slaver Texas, and make it believable that they would abolish slavery. I also like it because it's a realistic look at a Lone Star Republic and its effect on the wider world...

The multi-cultural Texas that you're building here is an interesting twist on an independent Texas; BTW, like that you don't make this a wank...

Welcome back (sorry that you were busy, BTW) and looking forward to more in 2018...

Happy New Year!!!

I meant to say that there would be more overall Buddhist temples and would have a more extensive construction due to a larger congregation base.

Yeah even with the larger conversion rates you imply with the larger Asian immigrant population overall, and other converts, I would expect there to be a sizable Buddhist presence.

What party is Military Governor Johnston part of? I expect making a military ruled territory was not popular in several quarters.

Well gradual emancipation won't please everyone of course. But with ay luck ut means that moderates on both sides will be on board and this can proceed smoothly.

But as you point out it is not all peace on the horizon. The Comanche and other tribes remain independent and Texas' connectedness means this has to be addressed and they have the military force now to force the issue. But also there is the fact Mexico while beaten back has grown and prepares for another round.

The war is over now for the Wild West.

Johnston leans towards the Western Union but he doesn't let his politics get in the way of his job and he doesn't have any presidential aspirations for the near future, looking to take over for Travis when he retires. Making Coahuila a military territory wasn't popular along some circles of Tejanos and the Western Union, but everyone realizes that with how poorly developed Coahuila is, it would be damaging to integrate them as a Commonwealth at the moment. I'll go over Coahuila more in the next update, but Austin is pouring considerable money in the region in order to make it self-reliant.

The actual emancipation wont be the problem. The main issue is going to be finding these tens of thousands of blacks jobs that wont have them rely on their former masters in a sharecropping system. Not to mention potential backlash from the incoming Southerners.

At least with the Comanche a loss for them doesn't mean the destruction of their culture with how well many Indian tribes such as the Cherokee and Navajo are doing. Let's just say that many modern Comanche TTL are thankful that they are a Texan and not an American tribe.

Good update. I like how you avoided the trap of a slaver Texas, and make it believable that they would abolish slavery. I also like it because it's a realistic look at a Lone Star Republic and its effect on the wider world...

The multi-cultural Texas that you're building here is an interesting twist on an independent Texas; BTW, like that you don't make this a wank...

Welcome back (sorry that you were busy, BTW) and looking forward to more in 2018...

Happy New Year!!!

When I first wrote Lone Star Republic I had been conflicted over how to proceed with slavery as I had wanted a far earlier end, but I thought this would be too unrealistic and would make Texas a Mary Sue-ish nation. I thought that this would be a natural course to take Texas as how due to the diversified national economy as well as WASPs being a minority in Texas, it just doesn't have nearly the same support as OTL in order to continue forward. I try to go for realism where actions and courses can take place with a certain amount of logic alongside the butterflies.

That's the one unique thing about Texas compared to America in how the Republic is a true melting pot. When America gained independents it had a population of 3 million with a strong base exclusively made of WASPs with most immigration in the century afterwords coming from West and Central Europe. Here Texas gets immigrants from all over Europe along with sizable portions of Hispanics and Chinese. Since no one race or ethnicity is truly the dominant ethnicity, then racial relations are easier to deal with. Don't worry as I'll try my best not to ever make Texas a wanked nation and make its status relatively understandable. While Texas may eventually become a great power, it's not going to be the most important nation in the world. Ironically I'd say that the United States becomes even stronger here even without Texas and the Southwest.

Happy New Year to everyone!

The actual emancipation wont be the problem. The main issue is going to be finding these tens of thousands of blacks jobs that wont have them rely on their former masters in a sharecropping system. Not to mention potential backlash from the incoming Southerners.

I am going to throw out a guess a lot of young freemen will be joining the military and the Rangers.

The ongoing wars with the 'Renegade Tribes', the push for a military build-up even in peacetime along with guerilla conflict in Coahuila will mean a demand for more boots on the ground. And a lot of those who served in the War and are still in currently will want to return to peacetime occupations. By contrast the newly freed population needs work and in Texas serviceman get a great deal of respect.

Such respect may not go as far with racism, but it would be something. And I could see the Afro-Texan leadership ensuring such a trend. After all the Republics history has a precedent that you can't claim someone and their people aren't real Texans when they have bled for Texas.

To the low-informed consumer of history, it would seem strange how Texas became so anti-slavery and managed to rally the entire country behind abolition without a major division over the issue. Most assume that Texas had similar feelings to the Confederacy in regards to their slaves. However, two important things that had separated Texans from the Confederate States was culture and economics. In the centuries leading up to the civil war, the South had been one homogeneous region that concentrated on White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestants (WASPs). Nearly all shared common beliefs, ideals, philosophies, and traditions. Slavery became ingrained in Southern culture as it had been the main practice that allowed the South to prosper and compete with the North in the first place thanks to cash crops such as cotton and tobacco. As the farmers and plantation owners of the early 19th century saw their wealth rise thanks to the work of their slaves, they became convinced that slavery was an essential part of their life; a horrible belief that was passed down to their children with each generation. In contrast while a large portion of the early Texans could be classified as Southerners, over the years the Dixie immigrants soon found themselves an increasing minority in the land that they founded. European immigrants came to form between a third and half of the total population, Europe itself having finished its usage of slavery, with many from Eastern and Central Europe remembering the horrors of serfdom, they were determined not to repeat that same experience towards a man or woman of dark skin. Latin America had rebelled against Spain with abolition of slavery being an important cause, almost all Tejanos being disgusted with the practice when they arrived. Then there were the Chinese who came from a culture where slavery never existed for centuries and saw their social improvement as one that could only be achieved with their hard work. Then there is the economics issue with slavery and sugar, the two highest cash crops, only forming a small portion of Texas' GDP and most of its agriculture dedicated to food such as wheat. In short slavery was never a practice that Texas relied on nor needed, the institution only staying alive due to the efforts of East Texas congressman as well as apathy towards finding a solution. The American Civil War changed all of this however as now Texas was one of only three nations left in the entire world that practiced slavery. With the much more powerful United States embracing abolition and looking down upon all who owned slaves, many people in the Republic of Texas felt that they needed to abandon slavery now or become a pariah in the eyes of the world.

Does this also apply to OTL texas as well or no?

So Seguin won reelection, but are the Republicans a minority in Congress still?

How old is the Prince who will be President at this point? And what is his last name is it Bourbon, Olreans, or something else?

What exactly do you mean by that?

I mean considering what you quoted essentially says, “To those who don’t really study history, it’s weird that Texas was anti-slavery, and that in the end they didn’t really need it or use it”

In OTL Texas had quite a bit of slaves if I recall it correctly, and used them to make money, mainly because they weren’t as racially tolerant as this one, and actually suffered through all those disputes with Mexico. So... Yeah. Not to mention most of Texas was in agreement with Confederacy beliefs in OTL, those that were against were driven out of Texas or killed. But, eh, what do I know, this is what I remember.

n OTL Texas had quite a bit of slaves if I recall it correctly, and used them to make money, mainly because they weren’t as racially tolerant as this one, and actually suffered through all those disputes with Mexico. So... Yeah. Not to mention most of Texas was in agreement with Confederacy beliefs in OTL, those that were against were driven out of Texas or killed. But, eh, what do I know, this is what I remember.

I guess my question is if Texas is the most sane of the southern states

So Seguin won reelection, but are the Republicans a minority in Congress still?

How old is the Prince who will be President at this point? And what is his last name is it Bourbon, Olreans, or something else?

The Republicans just got back a majority, though barely as it only sits on a few seats above. Phillipe is 27 and served in the Mexican War, rising to the rank of Major.

What exactly do you mean by that?

I mean considering what you quoted essentially says, “To those who don’t really study history, it’s weird that Texas was anti-slavery, and that in the end they didn’t really need it or use it”

In OTL Texas had quite a bit of slaves if I recall it correctly, and used them to make money, mainly because they weren’t as racially tolerant as this one, and actually suffered through all those disputes with Mexico. So... Yeah. Not to mention most of Texas was in agreement with Confederacy beliefs in OTL, those that were against were driven out of Texas or killed. But, eh, what do I know, this is what I remember.

Keep in mind by this point thanks to the butterflies that Texas is radically different than OTL, so you shouldn't really rely on comparisons to OTL that much. Slavery was much more integrated into the economy with nearly 250,000 slaves by the war's end, but the slave uses of cotton and sugarcane while a major part of the economy, were not what Texas was solely reliant on and did not form as much of a core of their society as say Mississippi or Alabama. In the Civil War there was a large portion of Texans who were Unionist, arguably the largest portion outside of Virginia, though unfortunately these were mostly German-Americans in the frontier counties who had little major political clout. In the Jim Crow Era while segregation and its enforcement may not have been as harsh or violent as the states of the Deep South, it was still alive until the 1960's.

Today Texas has changed much in terms of the racial spectrum. We're one of the two states in the Union alongside California that are a minority-majority state, with Hispanics rearing to become the majority ethnic group within a few years. Texas has become so diverse thanks to the rise of the Petroleum industry and the state's diversification in high-tech jobs such as aerospace, silicon and energy. This leads to millions of people across the world moving to Texas for high-paying jobs, heck most of my hometown is made up of Asians with a large portion of our families being immigrants from China and India. While things aren't perfect, they're good and getting better.

Just curious, who is Warburton (McDougall's running mate)? If there isn't a known first name, can I make one up for him and PM it to you?

Just curious, who is Warburton (McDougall's running mate)? If there isn't a known first name, can I make one up for him and PM it to you?

Warburton isn't really anybody, just another Texan politician that I made up as part of the butterflies. As part of "The World of Lone Star Republic" that I'll create in the future, I'll elaborate on the OC politicians that I've made up along with other happenings in the Texas congress in order to keep track. The problem is that due to how little info there is on local and regional politicians during this time, I can't really be too specific in the posts. FYI, don't really pay any attention to the vice-president of the losing side unless I mention them in the same post. It won't affect the future too much.

Guys, I was originally going to make America the next focus of the update, however I can't do that right now as I need a clear American electoral map and I can't create one with the huge amount of butterflies that I have created with the new borders. So the next one will be Germany, I would like to ask you guys if anyone would be up for making a blank U.S states map with the following borders:

upload_2018-1-4_21-24-5-png.363810

Also keep in mind the addition of British Columbia up to the 54.5 N, the Bahamas, and West Virginia being a part of Virginia. Also Tennesse is divided up like so:

upload_2018-1-4_21-36-20-png.363812

Any takers?