Should the President be able to be re-elected in consecutive terms?

• Yes

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Someone should make a book and movie/tv series/netflix series of this TL one day. I would definitely watch it.

Still, back on the subject, while we all know that Mexico is indeed a big behemoth in the room, I don't see it maintaining its successes for long. Here's hoping the Yucatan will last until then.

sending a message that the next violation of Texan sovereignty would lead to Texas joining the fight and annexing Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana. In reality this was one large bluff due to the immense resources spent fighting Mexico.
Later in Washington D.C.

In all his years in Washington the Texan ambassador had never felt as small as he did under the withering gaze of President Abraham Lincoln. Word had somehow leaked about President Seguin's threat to the Confederacy, and it hadn't taken long for him to be summoned to the executive mansion to, in Lincoln's words, "clarify the position of the Republic of Texas," but in plain english explain if his country had a death wish. So for the past seven minutes he had calmly, well as calmly as he could when two blue clad youths kept glaring at him, reiterated what President Seguin had told him in the telegram about it being an empty threat, and that it had simply been stated to get the Southern rebels to respect the international border. Lincoln seemed to accept this, but it would be a good many months before anyone could laugh about this.

Ok, this probably didn't happen, but I imagine if anyone in Washington has found out they aren't happy about Seguin's threat.

Also, it seems that if Texas may realize that it should have much greater defensive depth. If Texas wins and has the power to control the terms of peace, it should seriously consider annexing all of the old Rio Grande Republic as well as Sonora, Chihuahua, Sinaloa and Durango. These lands would give additional defensive depth. They are also (relatively) lightly populated. This light population would give Texas a chance to influence the demographics of these regions through immigration; both internal and from foreign countries (USA, CSA, France, Germany, UK, the rest of Europe, Asia).
If things go well for Texas I could see them annexing Sonora and Chihuahua after this war. I'm not sure any other Mexican territory would be a good idea though as Texas is still a bit on the thinly populated side itself (Two million at this point?), and I think Rio Grande may have been bitten a bit to hard by the pan Mexican nationalism bug to make them an easy pill to swallow. Regardless, Texas at a minimum is going to come out of this intact, but who knows about the other combatants.

Someone should make a book and movie/tv series/netflix series of this TL one day. I would definitely watch it.
I'd watch a tv show set in this universe.

Still, back on the subject, while we all know that Mexico is indeed a big behemoth in the room, I don't see it maintaining its successes for long. Here's hoping the Yucatan will last until then.
Fingers crossed.

Anywho, not sure how long it has been since I've commented, but I'm still here, and good updates.

Ok, this probably didn't happen, but I imagine if anyone in Washington has found out they aren't happy about Seguin's threat.

Yeah, Lincoln and the union forces at large are committed to preserving their country. That agenda does not include letting Austin carve off rebel territory for itself. The Texans are foreigners to most Americans by now I expect, particularly the the government; so Texas doing a landgrab would be as welcomed as Britain attempting to retake the Maritimes.

I admit I am still bummed by so much of Canada being lost to the Stars and Stripes. Yet hope remains!

If things go well for Texas I could see them annexing Sonora and Chihuahua after this war. I'm not sure any other Mexican territory would be a good idea though as Texas is still a bit on the thinly populated side itself (Two million at this point?), and I think Rio Grande may have been bitten a bit to hard by the pan Mexican nationalism bug to make them an easy pill to swallow. Regardless, Texas at a minimum is going to come out of this intact, but who knows about the other combatants.

I wouldn't bet much on Texas seizing Mexican territory. Texas will survive and remain a great power I am certain, but this war has already cost them more than any previous conflict in men and material.

My guess for the war since Juarez and Seguin are well remembered, and Yucatan apparently goes on as prominent nation. I am guessing Mexico gets all or most of the RRG, and a significant chunk at least of the additional lands the Yucatan grabbed from them back. Texas I think will lose nothing more than Baja, if that even. For Texas surviving this war more or less intact will be a major achievement and their greatest trial since the Revolution. For Mexico it will not be the full reconquest Juarez wanted but still a major upgrade in land territory and even population.

And as this conflict is said to set the tone for the rest of the century in the Southwest I an guessing both sides will anticipate round four is coming. In fact it may be this war will end with stalemate with both sides feeling the need to end it.

Good work, Kaiser. :) Also, will Geronimo be making an appearance in this TL? After all, I do really want him to kick some ass, preferably that of the Mexican Army. :cool:

My first draft of this chapter had Geronimo making a cameo but he'll definitely be in the next Mexican War chapter. Becoming one of the many difficulties for the ill-prepared Arizona expedition.

Been reading this Texas TL and lovin' it!

With the ongoing intermittent hot warfare and cold-war tension with Mexico, I'm wondering if there will be changes in Texas's military?

It seems that the Texas military, political and cultural situation might be well-suited to become a sort of Swiss/Israeli military with a well-trained, well-armed militia army of citizen-soldiers with some form of universal (or near-universal) conscription. "Every citizen a soldier" and "a rifle behind every blade of grass" sort of thing... Add in naval, air and marine forces and in the 20th & 21st centuries, a modern Texas-sized militia based military of this type would be very formidable! Yucatan (if it survives) might find this military system to be advantageous as well.

Also, it seems that if Texas may realize that it should have much greater defensive depth. If Texas wins and has the power to control the terms of peace, it should seriously consider annexing all of the old Rio Grande Republic as well as Sonora, Chihuahua, Sinaloa and Durango. These lands would give additional defensive depth. They are also (relatively) lightly populated. This light population would give Texas a chance to influence the demographics of these regions through immigration; both internal and from foreign countries (USA, CSA, France, Germany, UK, the rest of Europe, Asia).

Again great TL!

Texan troops will definitely be on par with Israeli soldiers, especially the future Army Rangers. However Texas will not have the defense militia system like you stated for various reasons that I do not want to spoil. However Texans as a whole are well armed with the Second Amendment being very popular and the Texas Rangers will be one of the most powerful paramilitary forces in the world that can go toe to toe with most regular forces.

We'll get into land changes at the end of the war with the treaty. However it won't be until the final months that it becomes clear which side is going to be the victor and who gets what.

While Mexico is certainly strong right now I wouldn't call it a behemoth. They'll have multiple defeats in the future before the end of the war and will face many problems. The big issue is while the Mexican Army may be completely reformed and top notch, Juarez and his subordinates have an awful strategy in relation to the war and will face some issues that Hitler's Germany did in the Eastern Front in terms of division of resources. Mexico doesn't even have the full strength of OTL and they don't have the industrial capabilities like the Union. Leading to multiple issues before the peace. What is true though is that they are back to being a regional power and forced both Texas and the Yucatan to take them seriously again.

Later in Washington D.C.

In all his years in Washington the Texan ambassador had never felt as small as he did under the withering gaze of President Abraham Lincoln. Word had somehow leaked about President Seguin's threat to the Confederacy, and it hadn't taken long for him to be summoned to the executive mansion to, in Lincoln's words, "clarify the position of the Republic of Texas," but in plain english explain if his country had a death wish. So for the past seven minutes he had calmly, well as calmly as he could when two blue clad youths kept glaring at him, reiterated what President Seguin had told him in the telegram about it being an empty threat, and that it had simply been stated to get the Southern rebels to respect the international border. Lincoln seemed to accept this, but it would be a good many months before anyone could laugh about this.

I'd watch a tv show set in this universe.

Fingers crossed.

Anywho, not sure how long it has been since I've commented, but I'm still here, and good updates.

Relations with the United States won't be the best for Texas as that will be one of many issues and conflicts for them in the 1860's, in addition to Texas' other roles in the Civil War which I will get to in the foreign affairs chapter for the United States. Officially though Seguin is neutral and and both the Texan government and military have taken no part in the war beyond Wichita Falls. As a little spoiler though I will have both Seguin and Lincoln meet sometime in the near future after the war. Along with a later meeting of their successors. Might make a fun chapter showing what would happen if the threat was leaked.

Yeah, Lincoln and the union forces at large are committed to preserving their country. That agenda does not include letting Austin carve off rebel territory for itself. The Texans are foreigners to most Americans by now I expect, particularly the the government; so Texas doing a landgrab would be as welcomed as Britain attempting to retake the Maritimes.

I admit I am still bummed by so much of Canada being lost to the Stars and Stripes. Yet hope remains!

I wouldn't bet much on Texas seizing Mexican territory. Texas will survive and remain a great power I am certain, but this war has already cost them more than any previous conflict in men and material.

My guess for the war since Juarez and Seguin are well remembered, and Yucatan apparently goes on as prominent nation. I am guessing Mexico gets all or most of the RRG, and a significant chunk at least of the additional lands the Yucatan grabbed from them back. Texas I think will lose nothing more than Baja, if that even. For Texas surviving this war more or less intact will be a major achievement and their greatest trial since the Revolution. For Mexico it will not be the full reconquest Juarez wanted but still a major upgrade in land territory and even population.

And as this conflict is said to set the tone for the rest of the century in the Southwest I an guessing both sides will anticipate round four is coming. In fact it may be this war will end with stalemate with both sides feeling the need to end it.

Will Quebec exists and it does have the Maritimes so there is that. Though by 1848 Canada was too lightly populated for there to even be a Canadian identity in the first place. So if you ask a Texan TTL where Canada is they'll look at you like you're talking about some fantasy world.

How does Texas view the ACW? What kind of propaganda do they have?

Right now Texans view the American Civil War as just "The Crazy American War". A majority of Texans are immigrants that have no American ancestery so they don't care as long as the fighting is within American borders. While the immigrants and families who are considered American are slightly concerned about the fighting and have their favorites, but are more focused on the Mexican War. Due to the fact that Juarez has troops within Texan borders, the Civil War is a sideshow to the government in Austin as they have to focus first on making sure that they will still exist at the end of the year then care if the Confederacy survives or not. Though around Texas there is a slight amount of tension about the Civil War as many Texans will ask that if the Americans chose to have a civil war for slavery, that the Texans might do the same. I'll go into greater detail in a later update with American Foreign Relations in the Civil War.

Here's my current status on Lone Star Republic by the way guys. As of right now I'm in the middle of writing my next update on Gihren's Glory so all work on Alternatehistory has to be dedicated towards that momentarily. During this week I shall have at least one update which is on Asia from 1836-1861. This week is my last real week of schoolwork as the rest of the year will either be exam exemptions or free classes. Once Friday is finished then I shall have a large amount of free time to continue the updates with myself trying to finish the 1860's (or at least get to 1865) by June. Also if I have time this weekend then I shall do Stars and Stripes Ascendant.

The fate of the Bahamas will be interesting. Depending on how many Southerners settled there those islands might be 'deDixified' after the war.

Hope we get the next update soon...

Here's my update schedule if everything goes perfect and nothing abrupt comes in the way of my life. Tomorrow will be a dual update for my stories with the first being Gihren's Glory which will immediately be followed by Lone Star Republic. The next update for this story is about events that have occurred in Asia from 1836-1861. Nothing extraordinary in butterflies, but some things will happen which will lay the foundation for the chaos of Eurasian politics in the 20th century. After that on the weekend I shall post the prologue chapters of Stars and Stripes Ascendant for those of you who are interested. The beginning chapters will primarily focus on the reactions and plans of Napoleon III, and an alternate Austro-Prussian War. Good news for all my readers is that I am exempt from all my exams which means that nothing except for potential writer's block is going to stop me from updating. Will try to keep the story rolling so that we see some real progress and get out of the 1860's soon.

The fate of the Bahamas will be interesting. Depending on how many Southerners settled there those islands might be 'deDixified' after the war.

The foundation of the modern U.S state of the Bahamas will be laid soon with the eventual invasion of the islands and the aftermath of it in the Civil War. It's important to remember that in the 1850's the South only colonized the bare minimum required to meet the standard's for entrance into the Union as a state. Meaning that there are only a couple tens of thousands of whites, an a majority of the black slave population. Some of the Southern Exodus will come from the Bahamas which along with potential human losses will essentially kill any chances of making it into a white state or even leaving the whites as a powerful minority like South Africa. With British culture essentially being non-existent on the archipelago, it will essentially be a mix of Southern Black and Hispanic culture in modern day. Though it will still be a tropical paradise for many Americans to escape to on holiday, among other future possessions.

The foundation of the modern U.S state of the Bahamas will be laid soon with the eventual invasion of the islands and the aftermath of it in the Civil War. It's important to remember that in the 1850's the South only colonized the bare minimum required to meet the standard's for entrance into the Union as a state. Meaning that there are only a couple tens of thousands of whites, an a majority of the black slave population. Some of the Southern Exodus will come from the Bahamas which along with potential human losses will essentially kill any chances of making it into a white state or even leaving the whites as a powerful minority like South Africa. With British culture essentially being non-existent on the archipelago, it will essentially be a mix of Southern Black and Hispanic culture in modern day. Though it will still be a tropical paradise for many Americans to escape to on holiday, among other future possessions.

Well as I can't see the USA giving up a state, or demoting a state back into a territory, sounds like the Bahamas will be an African majority state of the Union, and one that will be quite loyal to the federal government in the ITTL reconstruction. That will definitely make for some interesting butterflies. Though with the likely dismantling of the plantation system I am concerned that if there is a prolonged war there of any length the economy will be left in shambles even with a freed population causing lots of woes.

Puerto Rico, Cuba, (maybe) the Philippines (though that's unlikely), Guam (more likely, IMO), the Virgin Islands.

Since there are hints of a Spanish-American War in the 1860s (let me take a wild guess and say that Toombs is somehow involved (1)) all of the above is possible (and the Spanish-American War will be a shot at redemption for some Southerners (2))...

Waiting for more, of course...

(1) Toombs will be as popular in the US as Mad King Aerys was at the end of his reign in Westeros, IMO.
(2) Those Southerners who aren't part of the Southern Exodus, that is. And there will be some who will want to prove their loyalty to the US...

I wonder will Texas be joining this Age of Imperialism? People have speculated about them taking Hawaii and the Philipines in place of the USA ITTL.

Future possessions you say. Not sure what you have up your sleeve, but I like the sound of it.

Perhaps they refer to Puerto Rico, and even Cuba? American Cuba could happen ITTL.

Puerto Rico, Cuba, (maybe) the Philippines (though that's unlikely), Guam (more likely, IMO), the Virgin Islands.

Since there are hints of a Spanish-American War in the 1860s (let me take a wild guess and say that Toombs is somehow involved (1)) all of the above is possible (and the Spanish-American War will be a shot at redemption for some Southerners (2))...

Waiting for more, of course...

(1) Toombs will be as popular in the US as Mad King Aerys was at the end of his reign in Westeros, IMO.
(2) Those Southerners who aren't part of the Southern Exodus, that is. And there will be some who will want to prove their loyalty to the US...

All of the above mentioned territories are all possible outcomes of expansion for the United States. Let's just say for now that even without Texas and the American Southwest, America will still have more territory than OTL. Also I said that the Spanish-American War will take place in the 1870's, not the 60's. So Lincoln's successor is going to deal with it then. However I have definitely stated before in story that Liberia will be an American state, meaning that Americans can travel across the Atlantic and take a safari for a holiday.

I wonder will Texas be joining this Age of Imperialism? People have speculated about them taking Hawaii and the Philipines in place of the USA ITTL.

When Texas joins the Age of Imperialism it's not going to be out of a policy of Austin wanting to create a Southwestern Empire, but rather one of Texas trying to claim as much land as they can before America and the Europeans take all of it. Texas in addition to their North American territory, will have some Pacific and maybe East Asian colonies and future Commonwealths. However Texas's "Empire" will be one of more Neo-Imperialism based on influence and semi-client states rather than outright colonies. Technically they already are an empire in territory as Russia is the only European nation with a larger territory than Texas. Let's just say that the fates of the Phillipennes and Hawaii will be finalized by the end of the 19th century.

Writing the update right now.

All of the above mentioned territories are all possible outcomes of expansion for the United States. Let's just say for now that even without Texas and the American Southwest, America will still have more territory than OTL. Also I said that the Spanish-American War will take place in the 1870's, not the 60's. So Lincoln's successor is going to deal with it then. However I have definitely stated before in story that Liberia will be an American state, meaning that Americans can travel across the Atlantic and take a safari for a holiday.
You have pleased the Ameriwank gods.

More seriously, I've actually half expected America to be larger than OTL in spite of never gaining the South West. You've directly stated that Liberia will be a state (more on Africa later), but you've also hinted at, or I've remembered wrong, that the US and Britain will be squaring off for round four during the Great War, and when the peace treaty is signed after that conflict I've been expecting British North America to be partitioned between the US and Quebec and those two countries to look something like this...
upload_2017-5-21_18-23-19.png

... in North America for the remainder of the timeline. Granted that is just speculation, and you may have something different planned, but those borders would well and truly make the US larger than OTL. Anywho, ignore my musings if you like.

Liberia as an American state? Interesting...
It is, and I expect that the US will control enough of West Africa by the 1950's that there will be two or three states if not more at some point. Already having a foothold there is going to work wonders for getting a good chunk of the continent down the road.

*Internal borders are all speculation and subject to change based off what Kaiser Chris' says.

Last edited:
You have pleased the Ameriwank gods.

More seriously, I've actually half expected America to be larger than OTL in spite of never gaining the South West. You've directly stated that Liberia will be a state (more on Africa later), but you've also hinted at, or I've remembered wrong, that the US and Britain will be squaring off for round four during the Great War, and when the peace treaty is signed after that conflict I've been expecting British North America to be partitioned between the US and Quebec and those two countries to look something like this...

Certainly be interesting how demographics of OTL Western Canada will be under US administration