List of Alternate Monarchs and Aristocratic Lineage II

S

Not only this. If Sigismund Augustus IS married to Margaret of France, who outlives him, he would never marry Barbara Radziwiłł and thus would avoid scandal and conflict with rest of his family, which means his sister should marry much earlier and he should have plenty of adult nephews by 1572.

And each of them would be supported by Lithuanians more than John Habsburg, who would be not even descendant of Vladislaus Jagiellon.

Albert I of Belgium (26 August 1819-25 July 1890) Reigned: (21 July 1831 – 25 July 1890) M. Victoria of Great Britain in 1840 (24 May 1819-22 January 1901):
I'm insulted that I wasn't tagged and had to go look for it 🤣

my 2c is that in this scenario, the Belgians wouldn't accept a minor for king. Even the duc de Nemours was at least "kinda an adult". If, for whatever reason, they accepted Albert, then a match with Victoria is effectively useless. He'll marry Clementine d'Orléans or Maria Theresia of Teschen to secure French or Austrian support for his candidacy. Another alternative is a daughter of Leopold's rival candidate OTL (Bernhard of Saxe-Weimar). Bernie had the support of William IV, most of the German Bund and Russia OTL, plus ties to the Netherlands (he'd served in the Dutch army), and Paris (his niece, Helene of Mecklenburg, was Louis Philippe's daughter-in-law). If Bernhard's eldest daughter, Luise, survives her OTL death in 1832, she'd do nicely.
Must definitely. Until it became too risky for vicky to continue and a royal doctor forbade it, Plus with Albert still around victoria would have never fallen into a deep depression over his passing, and his own talents and affable nature would have made both the empire and their family have a better time and be more solid.
A doctor told her to "stop" at 38yo and he was told to politely shove it.

m insulted that I wasn't tagged and had to go look for it 🤣

my 2c is that in this scenario, the Belgians wouldn't accept a minor for king. Even the duc de Nemours was at least "kinda an adult". If, for whatever reason, they accepted Albert, then a match with Victoria is effectively useless. He'll marry Clementine d'Orléans or Maria Theresia of Teschen to secure French or Austrian support for his candidacy. Another alternative is a daughter of Leopold's rival candidate OTL (Bernhard of Saxe-Weimar). Bernie had the support of William IV, most of the German Bund and Russia OTL, plus ties to the Netherlands (he'd served in the Dutch army), and Paris (his niece, Helene of Mecklenburg, was Louis Philippe's daughter-in-law). If Bernhard's eldest daughter, Luise, survives her OTL death in 1832, she'd do nicely.
i'M SO sorry man! Didn't meant to forget you! Honest!

And i really like the idea of albert as a king on his own right, with Britain backing him i think he could squeeze through, plus beign raised there would help him be more belgian. Anf the surviving Luise would be good.

A doctor told her to "stop" at 38yo and he was told to politely shove it.
Almost 38, actually; Beatrice was born the month before her 38th birthday. Even though Queen Victoria was annoyed with her doctor, Beatrice was the final child either way as Queen Victoria and Prince Albert didn't have sex very often after the birth. That and they became grandparents for the first time almost two years after the birth of their final child. So, there was no need for them to have more children after Beatrice.

Charles IX, King of France (1560-1574) m. Elisabeth, Archduchess of Austria (1554-1592)

1) Marie Elisabeth, Princess of France (1572-1598) m. Philip III, King of Spain (1578-1621)
2) Charles X, King of France (1572-1634) m. Margaret, Archduchess of Austria (1567-1633)
3) Francois Maximilien, Duke of Orléans (1574-1639) m. Catherine, Princess of Lorraine (1573-1648)

Charles IX, King of France (1560-1574) m. Elisabeth, Archduchess of Austria (1554-1592)

1) Marie Elisabeth, Princess of France (1572-1598) m. Philip III, King of Spain (1578-1621)
2) Charles X, King of France (1572-1634) m. Margaret, Archduchess of Austria (1567-1633)
3) Francois Maximilien, Duke of Orléans (1574-1639) m. Catherine, Princess of Lorraine (1573-1648)
So the Valois continue to rule France into the 17th century - can't imagine they'd have an easier time with the Huguenots any more than they did in OTL.

So the Valois continue to rule France into the 17th century - can't imagine they'd have an easier time with the Huguenots any more than they did in OTL.
No stupid Edict of Nantes (and likely that Henri IV remains married to Margot, so he dies chilsless, leaving headship of the Bourbons to the dubiously legitimate prince de Condé) probably makes the whole thing a lot smoother

How does he get Poland?
And Hungary? He is not male line descendant of any Hungarian king, so Hungarians are free to elect anyone after death of childless Ferdinand.
And Habsburgs were disliked in Poland, so John needs really good claim to counter it.
And he's not even descendant of Anna Jagiellonica, daughter of Vladislaus II, so he doesn't have that bonus in election in either Hungary and Poland, Poles despite their overall anti-dynastic attitude are more likely to elect even John, bastard son of Sigismund I, if Sigismund II doesn't exist his father could legitimize him and make him Grand Duke of Lithuania without much of a fuss and marry him to Anna of Mazovia, which was seen by many of Mazovian nobles as rightful heiress of Mazovia so prospect of both Lithuania of Mazovia going away could be an incentive for Poles to elect John the bastard, John Habsburg doesn't have that bonus.
Not only this. If Sigismund Augustus IS married to Margaret of France, who outlives him, he would never marry Barbara Radziwiłł and thus would avoid scandal and conflict with rest of his family, which means his sister should marry much earlier and he should have plenty of adult nephews by 1572.

Isabella has no surviving sons, negotiations for the other girls were dragged as neither Bona or Sigismund I cared much for it, then some negotiations failed and similar so Poland has not much choices around… in the end they elected the King of Hungary as King as his son (with Jagiellon blood on his maternal side) was too young (likely Sigismondo died earlier than OTL).
John becoming King of Hungary was the result of a deal between Ferdinand I and John Zapolya (who here remained unmarried, while Sigismund of Brandenburg died in infancy) as Ferdinand offered to marry his youngest nephew to Zapolya’s elder great niece and leave to him his share of Hungary if Zapolya adopted the boy as heir.
Also as Sigismund was childless his marriage to Marguerite, who was wanted by Bona, became a reason of conflict between the and his mother… and the presence of Barbara at Sigismund’s side was another

Last edited:
Isabella has no surviving sons, negotiations for the other girls were dragged as neither Bona or Sigismund I cared much for it, then some negotiations failed and similar so Poland has not much choices around… in the end they elected the King of Hungary as King as his son (with Jagiellon blood on his maternal side) was too young.
John becoming King of Hungary was the result of a deal between Ferdinand I and John Zapolya (who here remained unmarried, while Sigismund of Brandenburg died in infancy) as Ferdinand offered to marry his youngest nephew to Zapolya’s elder great niece and leave to him his share of Hungary if Zapolya adopted the boy as heir.
Also as Sigismund was childless his marriage to Marguerite, who was wanted by Bona, became a reason of conflict between the and his mother… and the presence of Barbara at Sigismund’s side was another
Still, it does not resemble conflict over Barbara. Sigismund feared, that backlash against Barbara, who was hated by nobles and clergy, could cost him the throne (unlikely to happen, but he feared such scenario) and brother-in-law could be potential danger.

Still, it does not resemble conflict over Barbara. Sigismund feared, that backlash against Barbara, who was hated by nobles and clergy, could cost him the throne (unlikely to happen, but he feared such scenario) and brother-in-law could be potential danger.
His sisters would be all in their 20s at their father’s death and is not guaranteed who Sigmund II would find matches for them very soon… or maybe they married but were childless or their sons died young… I had not yet planned too much the Polish side, but still Sigismund II had no nephew who would be seen as a better candidate than his nephew-in-law

His sisters would be all in their 20s at their father’s death and is not guaranteed who Sigmund II would find matches for them very soon… or maybe they married but were childless or their sons died young… I had not yet planned too much the Polish side, but still Sigismund II had no nephew who would be seen as a better candidate than his nephew-in-law
He had plans: Mecklenburg, Saxony, Bavaria... and Sophia would marry son of her OTL husband.

And Habsburgs at the time were despised so much in Poland, that Poles would rather elect someone unrelated under condition that he'll marry Sigismund's sister.

Only Sigismund Augustus' daughter married to Archduke could really help Habsburgs, otherwise King is going to follow OTL path and side with Executionist movement. And 3rd quarter of 16th century is bad time for Habsburg on Polish throne for several reasons-rise of middle nobility, who feared absolutist policy pursued by Habsburgs (main supporters of Habsburg candidates were always (Catholic) magnates, but they were weakened after triumph of Executionists, and at the time Protestantism in Poland was stronger than ever and half of magnates were Protestants, large part of nobility too, which created another problem, as Habsburgs were associated also with Ultracatholicism) and Poles also feared, that Habsburgs on the throne increases risk of conflict with Ottoman Empire.

He had plans: Mecklenburg, Saxony, Bavaria... and Sophia would marry son of her OTL husband.
Not guaranteed to be realised…
And Habsburgs at the time were despised so much in Poland, that Poles would rather elect someone unrelated under condition that he'll marry Sigismund's sister.
That was OTL, here things could be very different and if Marguerite is not a popular Queen, France could be seen as worse than the Habsburg (who here are not in the same position of OTL)