List of Alternate Monarchs and Aristocratic Lineage II

Charles already HAS a daughter with that name
Changed

No way will that name be used
He was named after a saint and because he was born on St Joseph's feast day just as @Kellan Sullivan pointed out

Why not his older brother?
Cause Francis died young.

Btw today is the first day of Durga Puja in my home place....so wishing all Bengalis and Indians and a happy puja and navratri 😄

@eliamartin65 @Fehérvári : based on a discussion of Albrecht II surviving:

Albrecht II, Holy Roman Emperor [from 1441], King of Germany [1438-1441], King of Hungary & Bohemia [from 1437] (b.1397) 1m: 1422 Elisabeth of Bohemia (1409-1440); 2m: 1441 Margarethe of Brandenburg[1] (1410-1465)

[1m.] Georg (1431-1435)​
[1m.] Anna (b.1432) m: 1448 Casimir IV, King of Poland (b.1427)​
[1m.] Elisabeth (b.1435) m: 1450 Charles, Duke of Burgundy (b.1433)​
[1m.] Stillborn Son (1440)​
[2m.] Albrecht, Margrave of Moravia (b.1441) m: 1450 Elisabeth of Celje (b.1441)​
[2m.] Margarethe (b.1443)​
[2m.] Friedrich, Duke of Austria (b.1446)​
[2m.] Katharina (1448-1450)​

[1] Daughter of Friedrich I, Elector of Brandenburg, and his wife Elisabeth von Bayern-Landshut. OTL she married Ludwig VIII the Hunchbacked, Duke of Bavaria-Ingolstadt. Here, Albrecht marries her instead as a way of securing the electoral votes from Brandenburg and the Palatinate, in order to be elected as emperor.
This match- and brokering the peace between Ludwig VIII and his father- earns Albrecht the favour of the Ingolstadt duke. Haven't figured out who Ludwig VII would marry his son to yet, although I could definitely see him jonesing for a match with Albrecht's daughter, Anna.

Female charles the bold

Isabella, Duchess of Burgundy (b. 1433–d 1482) married John II, Duke of Lorraine (b. 1428–d 1470)
Philip I of Lorraine (b. 1450-d. 1502) married Margaret of England (b. 1450-d. 1511)
John I of Lorraine (b. 1466-?) married Philippa of Guelders (b. 1466-?) with issues
Philip (b. 1468-?) married Marie of Luxembourg, Countess of Saint-Paul (b. 1472-?) with issues
Isabella ( 1471)
Margaret (b. 1475-?) m John III of Spain (b. 1475-?) with issues
René, Duke of Anjou (b. 1452-d. 1497) married Anne of Savoy (b. 1455-d. 1510)​
Isabella (b. 1472-?) m Francis I Fubius, King of Navarre (b. 1467-?) with issues​
Philip, Duke of Anjou (b. 1474-?) m Anne, Duchess of Brittany (b. 1477-?) with issues​
Charlotte (b. 1480-?) m Charles III, Duke of Bourbon (b. 1476-?) with issues​
Isabella (1453)​
Margaret (b. 1456)​
Yolande (b. 1459-d. 1486) married Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1459-d. 1519)​
Philip, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1476-?) m Barbara of Poland (b. 1476-?) with issues​
Eleanor (b. 1478-?) m Louis V, Elector Palatine (b. 1476-?) with issues​
Isabella (b. 1482-?) m Philibert, Duke of Savoy (b. 1480-?) with issues​
Ernest Archduke of Tyrol (b. 1483-?) m Anna of Tyrol (b. 1485-?) with issues​
Yolande (b. 1486-?) m Vladius II, King of Bohemia and Hungary (b. 1456-?) with issues​
Marie (b.1462-d.1501) m Louis XII, King of France *(b. 1460-d. 1495)​
Charles VIII, King of France (b. 1480-?) m Elizabeth of Poland (b. 1482-?) with issues​
Philip, Duke of Berry (1482)​
Francis, Duke of Berry (1485)​
Charlotte (b. 1489-?) m Charles I, King of Lorraine (1487-?) with issues​
Isabella ( 1492)​
Louis, Duke of Berry (b. 1496-?) m Madeleine de la Tour de Auvergne (b. 1498-?) with issues​
Louis (1465)​
Agnes (b.1468-d.1521) m Henry VII, King of England (b. 1467-d. 1517)​
Edward, Prince of Wales (b. 1485-?) m Maria of Aragon (b. 1485-?) with issues​
Margaret (b. 1488-?) m James V, King of Scotland (b. 1490-?) with issues​
Catherine (b. 1492-?) m Christian II, King of Denmark, Norway and Sweden (b. 1481-?) with issues​
George, Duke of Gloucester (b. 1496-?) m Margaret of Scotland (b. 1498-?) with issues​
Isabella (1500)​
Margaret d'Anjou (b. 1430-d. 1483) married Henry VI of England (b. 1421-d. 1477)​
Edward IV of England (b. 1449–d 1501) married Bona of Savoy (b. 1449–d 1499) with issues​
Margaret (b. 1450-d. 1511) m Philip I of Lorraine (b. 1450-d. 1502) with issues​
Henry, Duke of Clarence (b. 1453–d 1500) married Isabelle Neville (b. 1451–d 1501) with issues​
* male Louise (1460), daughter of Louis XI, King of France​
Isabella I of Castile and Leon (b. 1451-?) married Ferdinand II of Aragon (b. 1452-?)​
Isabella (b. 1470-?) married Alfonso VI of Portugal (b. 1475-?) with issues​
John III of Spain (b. 1475-?) married Margaret of Lorraine (b. 1475-?) with issues​
Ferdinand (1478)​
Alfonso III, King of Naples and Sicily (b. 1479-?) married Juana of Naples (b. 1478-?) with issues​
Ferdinand, Duke of Villena (b. 1482-?) married Charlotte Albert (b. 1480-?) with issues​
Stillborn daughter​
Maria (b. 1485-?) m Edward V of England (b. 1485-?) with issues​

Last edited:
@Salma Amer suggestion: female edward of westminster marries Edward IV and form a power couple.

Margaret I, Queen of England (b. 1453-d. 1501) married Edward IV, King of England (b. 1442-d. 1486)
Margaret (b. 1469-?) married Charles VIII of France (b. 1470-?) with issues​
Edward V of England (b. 1471-?) married Juana of Castile (b. 1475) with issues​
Richard, Duke of York and Norfolk (b. 1472-?) married Anne de Morby, Countess of Norfolk (b. 1472-?) with issues​
Cecily (b. 1475-?) married Philip, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1478-?) with​
issues​
Joan (b. 1476-?) married James IV of Scotland (b. 1473-?) with issues​
Henry, Duke of Clarence (b. 1477-?) married Isabelle, Countess of Salisbury and Warwick (b. 1476-?) with issues​
Isabella (b. 1478-?) married John III of Spain (b. 1478-?) with issues​
Anne (b. 1480-?) married Francis III, Duke of Brittany (b. 1477-?) with issues​
Mary (b. 1482-?), nun​

Last edited:
Just something I'm playing with for an upcoming TL (set in the same world as this post):

Jean of Burgundy [1] (b. 1434) m. 1454 Elisabeth of Austria (b. 1436) with issue:
  1. Emma, Holy Roman Empress [2] (b. 1459) m. 1477 Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1459) with issue
  2. Hedwig, Electress Palatine [3] (b. 1460) m. 1478 Philipp, Elector Palatine (b. 1448) with issue
  3. Sophia, Duchess of Cleves [4] (b. 1462) m. 1478 John II, Duke of Cleves (b. 1458) with issue

NOTES:

[1] Second son of Philippe III of Burgundy and Isabella of Portugal
[2] Named for the earlier Emma of Burgundy (894-934) by her godfather, Louis XI. Also, the heiress to Burgundy until her ascension in 1486.
[3] ALT Hedwig Jagiellon
[4] ALT Sophia Jagiellon

Last edited:
Just something I'm playing with for an upcoming TL (set in the same world as this post):

Jean of Burgundy [1] (b. 1434) m. 1454 Elisabeth of Austria (b. 1436) with issue:
  1. Emma, Holy Roman Empress [2] (b. 1459) m. 1477 Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1459) with issue
  2. Hedwig, Electress Palatine [3] (b. 1460) m. 1478 Philipp, Elector Palatine (b. 1448) with issue
  3. Sophia, Duchess of Cleves [4] (b. 1462) m. 1478 John II, Duke of Cleves (b. 1458) with issue

NOTES:

[1] Second son of Philippe III of Burgundy and Isabella of Portugal
[2] Named for the earlier Emma of Burgundy (894-934) by her godfather, Louis XI. Also, the heiress to Burgundy until her ascension in 1486.
[3] ALT Hedwig Jagiellon
[4] ALT Sophia Jagiellon
I am not sure about using Hedwig and Sophia for the younger daughters as both sound pretty Jagiellon names to me…
Elizabeth/Isabella (after her mother and both grandmothers), Anna, Margaret, Barbara, Agnes, Catherine or Mary sound far likelier choices

Gender reverse of Philippe IV of Burgundy and Juana of Castile's children

Philippe IV of Burgundy m. Juana of Castile

1. Karl V, Holy Roman Emperor m. Anna of Bohemia and Hungary

2. Isabella of Austria m. Antonie, Duke of Lorraine

3. Ferdinand VI of Spain m. Isabella of Portugal

4. Margaret of Austria m. Christian II of Denmark

5. Maximilian II, Lord of the Netherlands m. Claude, Duchess of Brittany

6. Fredrick, Archbishop of Vienna

I don't think this scenario really works here, if you're going with them being born at the same time as otl but with their genders swapped. Ttl's Ferdinand would not be born in Spain, but in the Netherlands, and therefore he would not have the same appeal to the Spanish nobles. Here, it would be Margaret and Frederick who are born in Spain, since ttl only Ferdinand and Catherine were

Last edited:

I suspect that it it's more likely Karl V marries Mary Tudor (only two years difference between them here)
Isabella can go to Antoine. Or to Louis XII as a third wife, then remarry to either Antoine or Zygmunt Stary. She'd be too young for Henry VIII (so he likely gets Catherine as OTL which will make @BlueFlowwer happy)
I agree with @King of Danes that Ferdinand makes little sense for Spain here, since I don't see his grandpa having the same bond with a grandson who is just as foreign born as Karl. Likely he and Margarethe still get a double pairing with Hungary.
OTL's Claude would be too old for Maximilian. Might I suggest Anna of Württemberg?

In short, we'd have Joao III and Christian II short of their OTL wives. Given Maximilian's shenanigans OTL trying to arrange Juana la Loca's remarriage to Zygmunt Stary, we could see the widowed Juana (or her sister-in-law, Margarethe) becoming Christian II's wife. After all, if Mary Tudor's taken by Karl V, there aren't really top level alternatives the right age for him to marry.

I am not sure about using Hedwig and Sophia for the younger daughters as both sound pretty Jagiellon names to me…
Elizabeth/Isabella (after her mother and both grandmothers), Anna, Margaret, Barbara, Agnes, Catherine or Mary sound far likelier choices
Well, Elisabeth named them after the saints on whose feast days they were born (St. Hedwig - October 16 and St Sophia on May 15), so it's not too unlikely in my head.

And then

I suspect that it it's more likely Karl V marries Mary Tudor (only two years difference between them here)
Isabella can go to Antoine. Or to Louis XII as a third wife, then remarry to either Antoine or Zygmunt Stary. She'd be too young for Henry VIII (so he likely gets Catherine as OTL which will make @BlueFlowwer happy)
I agree with @King of Danes that Ferdinand makes little sense for Spain here, since I don't see his grandpa having the same bond with a grandson who is just as foreign born as Karl. Likely he and Margarethe still get a double pairing with Hungary.
OTL's Claude would be too old for Maximilian. Might I suggest Anna of Württemberg?

In short, we'd have Joao III and Christian II short of their OTL wives. Given Maximilian's shenanigans OTL trying to arrange Juana la Loca's remarriage to Zygmunt Stary, we could see the widowed Juana (or her sister-in-law, Margarethe) becoming Christian II's wife. After all, if Mary Tudor's taken by Karl V, there aren't really top level alternatives the right age for him to marry.
My biggest trouble with that list is the splitting of lands:
Karl would likely get Spain as he could go with his parents there after Isabella’s death (as he would be already 7 years old instead of 5 as OTL) and then remain there and marry Isabella of Portugal. Burgundy at that point would name the second boy, Maximilian, as their Duke and he would become Holy Roman Emperor. The elder girl would still be named Eleanor (she would be born before the death of Miguel) while the second would be Isabella (and Isabella is unlikely to end in either Denmark or Bohemia as she would be born in Spain and raised there)…

And then
1. Charles I, King of Spain (b. 1498) m. Isabella of Portugal (b. 1503)

2. Eleanor of Austria (b. 1500) m. ? likely Louis of Hungary (b. 1506) or Sigismund the Old

3. Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor and Duke of Burgundy (b. 1501) m. a surviving Catherine of Lorraine (b. 1502)

4. Isabella of Austria (b. 1503) m. John III, King of Portugal (b. 1502)

5. Ferdinand I, Archduke of Austria (b. 1505) m. Anna of Bohemia and Hungary (b. 1503)

6. John, Archbishop of Zaragoza or Toledo (b. 1507)

Ferdinand can very well end as Frederick/Ernest/Philip leaving the name Ferdinand to the one who I called John…

Mary Tudor here could end in Denmark after a failed engagement to Charles…

this scenario see Isabella and John born and raised in Spain and Charles living there since he is seven years old meaning who Ferdinand and Maximilian had custody of three kids each

Last edited:
My biggest trouble with that list is the splitting of lands:
Karl would likely get Spain as he could go with his parents there after Isabella’s death (as he would be already 7 years old instead of 5 as OTL) and then remain there and marry Isabella of Portugal. Burgundy at that point would name the second boy, Maximilian, as their Duke and he would become Holy Roman Emperor. The elder girl would still be named Eleanor (she would be born before the death of Miguel) while the second would be Isabella (and Isabella is unlikely to end in either Denmark or Bohemia as she would be born in Spain and raised there)…

And then
1. Charles I, King of Spain (b. 1498) m. Isabella of Portugal (b. 1503)

2. Eleanor of Austria (b. 1500) m. ? likely Louis of Hungary (b. 1506) or Sigismund the Old

3. Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor and Duke of Burgundy (b. 1501) m. a surviving Catherine of Lorraine (b. 1502)

4. Isabella of Austria (b. 1503) m. John III, King of Portugal (b. 1502)

5. Ferdinand I, Archduke of Austria (b. 1505) m. Anna of Bohemia and Hungary (b. 1503)

6. John, Archbishop of Zaragoza or Toledo (b. 1507)

Ferdinand can very well end as Frederick/Ernest/Philip leaving the name Ferdinand to the one who I called John…

Mary Tudor here could end in Denmark after a failed engagement to Charles…
If we would like to get a scenario closer to OTL (maybe ATL Isabella is born in Spain as her parents departed earlier than OTL) with the splitting of lands:
  1. Karl V, Holy Roman Emperor and Duke of Burgundy/King of Lorraine (b. 1498) m. Mary Tudor (b. 1496)
  2. Eleanor (b. 1500) m. Antoine of Lorraine (b. 1489)
  3. Ferdinand VI, King of Spain (b. 1501) m. Isabella of Portugal (b. 1503)
  4. Isabella (b. 1503) m. Louis II of Hungary (b. 1506)
  5. Maximilian II, Archduke of Austria (b. 1505) m. Anna of Bohemia and Hungary (b. 1503)
  6. John, Archbishop of Toledo or Zaragoza (b. 1507)
Meaning who here Ferdinand and John would be the kids born and raised in Spain while both girls will be among the four kids under Maximilian’s custody

I didn’t want Henry FitzRoy to feel left out

The Six Wives of Henry IX

Henry FitzRoy, later Henry Tudor, [1] Duke of Richmond and Somerset, later Henry IX Tudor, King of England, [2] born 1519, died 1602, married firstly Mary Howard, born 1519, died 1536, without issue; married secondly Margaret Douglas, born 1515, died 1545, with issue; married thirdly Elizabeth FitzGerald, born 1527, died 1555, with issue; married fourthly Antoinette of Guise, born 1532, died 1559, without issue; married fifthly Jeanne d’Albret, Queen of Navarre, born 1528, died 1572, with issue; married sixthly Elizabeth Cavendish, born 1521, died 1602, without issue

With Henry’s first wife Mary taking his OTL date with death, Henry finds himself a little on edge during the downfall of Anne Boleyn. Both he and Margaret Douglas are looking for ways to deny any connection to the Howards. So in 1536, they ask and receive permission to wed each other. About this time the Second Succession Act puts Henry FitzRoy ahead of Mary and Elizabeth in the succession and behind any future legitimate sons.

It’s a relatively happy marriage and the two ride out most of the ups and downs of the Tudor Court. In 1539, in celebration of his first grandson, Henry VIII grants both his son and grandson the Tudor name. After all, the bastard son of Edward IV was given the name Plantagenet.

In 1545, Margaret dies during labour along with her stillborn child.

Henry, now Henry Tudor, looks around for a wife and finds Elizabeth FitzGerald. She’s from a prominent Irish family, so that gives Henry a leg up on wrangling the Irish (he still holds the position of Lord Lieutenant of Ireland), and is of appropriate rank but also removed enough from most of the court politics to be a safe option. Additionally she’s attractive.

Their marriage is also pretty good, and in 1553, Elizabeth is crowned Queen alongside Henry.

Their youngest daughter, also named Elizabeth, contracts some childhood illness. Elizabeth, would nurse her daughter through the illness. While the younger Elizabeth would pull through, Elizabeth the elder sickened and died.

As part of a French Alliance, and as a way to try and smooth things over with Scotland, (The English had custody of the young Queen Mary) Henry married Antoinette de Guise, Queen Mary’s aunt. But he never really gets along with fourth his wife and rumors say he never consummated the relationship. She would die after a cut got infected.

The increased diplomatic relations with France brought Henry in contact with the recently widowed Jeanne d’Albret, Queen of Navarre. The two shared a passion for the Protestant faith. And nature took its course.

They were married for 10 years, though due to regular physical separations that came from ruling their respective demesnes, they only had one daughter.

When Jeanne sickened and died in 1572, Henry was distraught. He accused the Queen Mother Catherine de Medici of poisoning his wife. This kicked off the War for the Queen’s Justice. The war was poised to drag on for years, when the English allied Scottish forces captured the young French king and his mother. Charles IX would win his freedom by wedding the Princess Elizabeth Tudor, and Catherine de Medici would be sent to Abbaye de Valmont where the Benedictine nuns would watch over her for the rest of her life.

Henry would surprise almost no one by remarrying his old friend Elizabeth Cavendish. The two had a happy marriage a died within days of each other.

Issue with Margaret Douglas:
Henry X Tudor, King of England, born 1539, married Mary Stewart, born 1542​
Margaret Tudor, born 1541 married Frederick II von Oldenburg, King of Denmark and Norway, born 1534​
Alexander Tudor, Duke of York, born 1544 married Elizabeth Vasa, born 1549​
stillborn in 1545​
Issue with Elizabeth FitzGerald:

Cecily Tudor, born 1448 married John Sigismund Zapolya, King of Hungary and Prince of Transylvania, born 1540​
Thomas Tudor, Duke of Richmond, born 1551 married Maria of Orange-Nassau, born 1556​
Elizabeth Tudor, born 1553, married Charles IX Valois, King of France, born 1550​
Issue with Jeanne d’Albret:

Frances Tudor, born 1563 married John Frederick, Elector of Saxony, [3] born 1559​

[1] With Henry FitzRoy surviving, Henry VIII eventually decides that his eldest son should have the Tudor name. After all both his bastard daughters got to be Tudors, why shouldn’t his son be a Tudor. And his grandfather’s bastards were called Plantagenets.

[2] With a surviving Henry FitzRoy, now Henry Tudor, the Second Succession Act puts him above Mary and Elizabeth in the succession. Since Henry is a Protestant, Edward doesn’t feel the need to mess with it.

[3] With some English backing, the Ernestine branch is able to retain their electoral dignity, and a surviving John Frederick inherits almost all of his father’s lands.

Scenario: Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth Tudor kind of swap fates. Bit weird. Having fun.

Elizabeth I, Queen of England and Ireland (b.1533: d.1578) m. Charles de Valois, Duke of Orleans (b.1522: d.1552) (a) [1], James Hamilton, Earl of Arran (b.1537: d.1609) (b) [2]

1b) James I, King of England, Ireland, and Scotland (b.1560: d.1624) m. Sophie of Brunswick-Lüneburg (b.1564: d.1639) (a)​
1a) Mary Hamilton, Princess of England, Ireland, and Scotland (b.1584)​
2a) Stillborn Son (c.1586)​
3a) Henry IX, King of England, Ireland and Scotland (b.1588)​
4a) James Hamilton, Duke of York and Albany (b.1589)​
5a) Stillborn Daughter (c.1591)​
6a) Anne Hamilton, Princess of England, Ireland and Scotland (b.1593)​
7a) George Hamilton, Prince of England, Ireland and Scotland (b.1594: d.1595)​
8a) Robert Hamilton, Duke of Gloucester and Ross (b.1595)​
9a) Miscarriage (c.1596)​
10a) Margaret Hamilton, Princess of England, Ireland and Scotland (b.1598)​
11a) Sophie Hamilton, Princess of England, Ireland and Scotland (b.1600: d.1601)​
12a) Miscarriage (c.1601)​
--

Mary Stuart, Queen of Scotland (b.1542: d.1612) m. Edward VI, King of England (b.1537: d.1553) (a) [3]

- had no issue

--

[1] The marriage of Elizabeth and Charles of Valois happened mostly due to chance. While Charles had been betrothed to a Hapsburg Princess in the mid-1540s, between his brother's objections and the death of the Austrian Archduchess he had selected en route ended plans. It was with the Treaty of Ardres that Henry VIII offered his younger daughter, and while negotiations initially faltered, Francois I of France agreed to the match with Henry's won lands in Boulogne as part of the dowry (along with English revenues from York and Pembroke), along with a promise of France to accept the betrothal between the Queen of Scotland and the Prince of Wales. Henry, keenly aware of his own mortality, became obsessed with situating his surviving children, and Elizabeth arrived in France in early January of 1547, having been rushed off by her father. Her sister was in talks of a marriage to a German nobleman, although she rejected the offer and instead just received a substantial inheritance.

Demure, pretty, and intelligent, she was considered a charming addition to the court, although her husband found her rather less than his initial hopes for a bride. But Elizabeth as the Duchess of Orleans thrived in France, and found allies at court in other gifted women. There were no pregnancies during her time there, and in 1552, her husband would die of smallpox at the age of 30. Elizabeth was heartbroken.

Initially, she considered her new role as Dowager to be enough, but in 1553, with the death of her brother, she chose to returned to England to secure her role as her sister's heiress. Mary welcomed her sister happily in the initial months following her accession, particularly since she saw mass with her regularly, but found Elizabeth's insistence on her place as heiress frustrating. Furthermore, her attempts to find the widow a new husband were often thrawted by her high ambitions, refusing the Duke of Savoy due to his political weaknesses. She longed to return to France, and while Mary's marriage to Phillip II of Spain made her discussions treasonous, continued to conspire for any number of French noblemen, focusing primarily on Jacques de Savoie, who she had been in flirtation with during her widowhood. But Elizabeth would struggle to find anyone willing to conspire against her sister, and in 1558, she ascended without husband.

[2] It was then that James Hamilton arrived in England, and Elizabeth became convinced of the match. His eccentricities, later described as "madness", charmed her, and they quickly married and she fell pregnant. But Elizabeth's choice in marriage, along with her continued Catholic mass, made her a target. When, in 1560, her chief rival Catherine Grey died under mysterious circumstances, Elizabeth found herself deeply unpopular. Her pregnancy ended in the birth of a son, and in early 1561, her husband was accosted by a group of masked noblemen, causing him to have a complete mental breakdown. Elizabeth became convinced key political rivals, including former friends, were behind the attack, and 11 men of noble blood were brought to trial. 4 were executed within a month of arrest, in a haste considered barbaric. All were Protestant, and Elizabeth was condemned by John Knox.

Meanwhile, Lord Arran's mental state continued to decline, and in late 1561, he attacked and killed a man sent by Elizabeth to bring him letters pertaining to their son. Elizabeth's alleged attempts to cover up the crime were the final tipping point, and the two were sent to the Tower of London. Elizabeth, still meaningfully popular with some of the court, managed to escape, and traveled under disguise to Scotland, where she hoped to find support from her neighbouring Kingdom to retake her throne. But Scotland was not a friend to herself, or her husband.

[3] In Scotland, Queen Mary had lived a difficult life. Her mother's failure to secure French support in 1546 had meant plans to marry her to the French Dauphin has floundered, as had attempts to spirit her away to her Guise relatives for safety. Instead, Mary had eventually married the King of England by proxy in 1549 as a peace offering, and in 1550, at the age of nearly 8, had been feted by the Scottish to London. There, she had been educated and prepared as a sovereign bride to the English King. But when Edward had died in 1553, the 11 year old Mary was essentially a prisoner. Her refusal to accept the Lady Jane Grey as a sister Queen had made her a friend in the other Queen Mary, who was initially considering her cousin as a bargaining chip. But the younger Mary demanded to return to Scotland, and in early 1554 was send home, where her mother greeted her gladly.

Initially, the baby widow considered her marriage options openly. Not particularly convinced by the competing religious education of her time in England and under her mother, she grew apathetic, and prayed only when publicly necessary. This made negotiations between Scotland and France difficult, as it was with Spain and Austria. In 1555 she pointedly rejected the future English King Consort, and in 1557 made an enemy of the Lennox Stuarts by declaring that their son was "an unfit groom for a Queen". Marie of Guise attempted many times over to ally her daughter with Catholic monarchs, but Mary found that the Protestants (especially the traditional alliance with Denmark) were a smarter match with a Catholic Queen to her South. In 1559, she made a final refusal of the King Francois II of France, declaring "she would not marry a greater Prince than me" as a diplomatic was of refusing a personal union. This broke her mother's heart, and in 1560, Marie of Guise died, causing Mary much distress.

Mary's shock and frustration with the arrival of Elizabeth cannot be overstated. The two had never met during her time in England, as Mary had abandoned court shortly before Elizabeth's arrival, and she refused to see the tragic Queen of England now. Elizabeth had assumed the Scots would support her against her treasonous subjects, but found herself basically under house arrest, particularly as Mary began to have consistent and easy political ties with the new Protestant, Hamilton government in London. In 1565, Elizabeth basically doomed the Lennox Stuarts by agreeing to annul her marriage, marry the young Lord Henry Stuart, and name him King of Scotland if they would save her from captivity. Rumours went so far to suggest Elizabeth had seduced the boy and miscarried a son. Queen Mary would have the Earl attained for treason. She did not formally remove them from succession, however, holding her potential heirs over their heads for the rest of their lives. Elizabeth would eventually die in captivity in 1578, and Mary would send her to be buried at Windsor. King James Hamilton would play nice, hoping she would consider him her heir. She eventually would.

Mary would never marry, maintaining her position as Queen mostly through cunning wits. In 1582, Mary would sponsor the marriage between Sophie of Brunswick-Lüneburg and King James I of England, which occurred a year later. She stood as godmother for the eldest three surviving children, although she politically fell out with the English for a time in the 1590s, leaving their younger children out of her influence. In 1587 she had her final discussion of betrothal, to the widower John II, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg, which she rejected on the grounds of his immense fertility - claiming fear of having "too many children for Scotland to bare". She was 45. In 1606 she finally declared King James as her heir to Scotland, formally disavowing the Lennox Stuarts as her kin. In 1610, she and James met in person. In 1612, she died of what was likely a heart attack. Her death brought a personal union to the British Isles.

WI: A son for Kitty Howard

Henry VIII Tudor, King of England, France, and Ireland (b. 1491, d. 1547) m. Catherine of Aragon (b. 1485, d. 1536) in 1509, had issue (a); Anne Boleyn (b. 1501, d. 1536) in 1533, had issue (b); Jane Seymour (b. 1508, d. 1537) in 1536, had issue (c); Anne of Cleves (b. 1515, d. 1557) in 1540, ann. 1540, had no issue (d); Catherine Howard (b. 1523, d. 1578) in 1540, had issue (e); also had illegitimate issue by Elizabeth Blount (b. c. 1498-1502, d. c. 1540) (g)
1a) Stillborn daughter (b. and d. 1510)​
2a) Henry, Duke of Cornwall (b. and d. 1511)​
3a) Stillborn son (b. and d. 1513)​
4a) Stillborn son (b. and d. 1514)​
5a) Mary (b. 1516, d. 1560)​
6a) Stillborn daughter (b. and d. 1518)​
7g) Henry FitzRoy, Duke of Richmond and Somerset (b. 1519, d. 1536) m. Mary Howard (b. 1519, d. 1557) in 1533, had no issue​
8b) Elizabeth (b. 1533, d. 1603) m. James VI, King of Scots (b. 1540, d. ?) in 1556, had issue​
1) Anne (b. 1557, d. ?) m. Frederick II, King of Denmark and Norway (b. 1534, d. ?)​
2) James VII, King of Scots (b. 1559, d. ?) m. Katherine Tudor (b. 1560, d. ?)​
3) Mary (b. 1561, d. ?) m.​
4) Edmund, Duke of Albany (b. 1563, d. 1565)​
9c) Edward VI, King of England, France, and Ireland (b. 1537, d. 1553)​
10e) Edmund I, King of England, France, and Ireland (b. 1541, d. ?) m. Lettice Knollys (b. 1543, d. ?) [1] in 1560, had issue​
1) Katherine (b. 1560, d. ?) m. James VII, King of Scots (b. 1559, d. ?)​
2) Edward VII, King of England, France, and Ireland (b. 1561, d. ?) m. Maria of Austria (b. 1564)​
3) Elizabeth (b. 1562, d. ?)​
4) Francis, Duke of York (b. 1563, d. ?)​
5) Henry, Duke of Bedford (b. 1565, d. ?)​
6) Laeticia (b. 1566, d. ?)​
7) William, Duke of Somerset (b. 1567, d. ?)​
8) Anne (b. 1569, d. ?)​
9) Mary (b. 1570, d. ?)​
10) Margaret (b. 1571, d. ?)​
11) Edmund, Duke of Richmond (b. 1573, d. ?)​
12) Thomas, Duke of Exeter (b. 1574, d. ?)​
13) Maud (b. 1576, d. ?)​

[1] Edmund inherits his late brother’s engagement to Élisabeth of Valois but let’s be real, this guy is the son of Henry VIII and Katherine Howard. Scandalous marriages practically run in his blood. He and Lettice meet as teenagers and elope shortly before Edmund’s Valois princess is due to arrive. It turns out to be for the best though, as their robust descendancy indicates.

Last edited: