Linguistic Map Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, just a tip for South America: the rural areas of Corrientes Province in Argentina speak Guarani, though it is difficult to map since most people are bilingual and only speak it at home or in limited context. Also the border areas of both Corrientes and Misiones speak Portuñol: a pigdin Spanish/Portuguese, altough I realize they aren't differentiated in this map. The natives of the western parts of Chaco and Formosa also speak the Guaicuruan language family though they are also bilingual. Unlike Corrientes, where most rural people speak Guarani or at least has loanwords from it regardless of ancestry, there's a sharper differentiation in Chaco and Formosa between natives and criollos (or European inmigrants). While the European descendants speak Spanish almost exclusively, the native Qom people do still speak their own languages asides from Spanish.

Excellent work, though I'm afraid I don't have much more comments.

Thank you so much! Could you take a look at the map I've attached in the post after this one and tell me how it looks?

A little nitpick on the qbam, which looks really good in general

Some Pacific islands (New Caledonia, south-east New Guinea and Vanuatu) have the Romance/Germanic colours (that I guess would be the official languages) when the local languages are widely spoken in these areas.

I was thinking there should be at least stripes of the local languages on these islands, if not removing the foreign ones entirely

Thank you for the compliment. I'd like to address these specifically:

New Caledonia: According to Wikipedia, in 2009, 97.3% of the population reported speaking French, while 58.7% of the people reported having no knowledge of any of the indigenous languages.

Papua New Guinea: Tok Pisin is a widely spoken Germanic-based creole in the urban areas of PNG.

Vanuatu: There is some Romance in Port Vila that is spoken as a first language by some of the upper class population there, but otherwise English and especially Germanic-based creole Bislama are spoken on the islands.

I hope this satisfies.

What are the two languages circled? I can't find proof for the existence of either.

TurkishCapybara is correct on both accounts. The spot in Saudi Arabia is just a remnant of the old Arabic dialects map that I forgot to erase and went unnoticed. I saw it a couple of days ago and fixed it, but I haven't posted anything for a few days.

Also, is there any proof for the existence of Circassian in the middle of Turkey?

From the Wikipedia page:

Wikipedia said:
The largest Adyghe-speaking community is in Turkey, spoken by the post Russian–Circassian War (circa 1763–1864) diaspora...

However, it doesn't say where exactly the diaspora is located, so I had to [url="http://www.muturzikin.com/cartesasie/11.htm]trust Muturzikin[/url], which I know can be misleading but Ethnologue seemed to confirm:

Ethnologue said:
Central and western Anatolia, Kayseri, Tokat, Karaman Maras, and many other provinces.

Also, if I may comment on your map, empty, it's very nice, and I don't mind the color changes, but it seems you used some sort of "Select by Color" tool, on which you may need to lower the threshold, because many of the colors are too similar to one another. Just to show an example on your map, you've lumped the Berber languages in with Semitic languages.

EDIT: Looking at your map again, I think maybe that was done by design, judging by what you've done with Germanic and Romance languages, but if that's the case, then the label must be "Afroasiatic" rather than "Semitic" because both Semitic and Berber languages are Afroasiatic languages, and Berber languages are not Semitic languages.

Last edited:
Anyway, here's the latest update. Much of South America has been completed, but I feel it necessary to include the whole world (sorry for page-stretching) because there have been fixes all over, including in Fergana Valley, the aforementioned Kuwait, Greece, India, and the East Indies, among others.

almost done.png

Ireland looks pretty accurate actually. The thing to remember is that at no point in the last century has 'Irish speaking population' been synonymous with 'Catholic' or 'Nationalist' population- though in Northern Ireland the Nationalists have tended to learn the language and become part of the former. The Irish language was very heavily promoted by nationalists (some of whom were not native speakers) to try and 'restore' Irish culture after independence.

I'm comparing to what Wikipedia gives for the Gaeltacht in 1926. But I may be wrong. Its more generalized than wrong.

Gaeltacht_1926.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, yes, you mentioned this before, but I forgot to get around to fixing Australia. :eek:

I don't know, it says that greater than 3.77% is the max? Either way, I am definitely leaving some Aboriginal languages in the desert, because I think that will be most realistic.
It's really hard to say. :eek:

This also exists:
australia1.png

Few things:

-The Arawak languages and Tibeto-Burman have exactly the same colour (115-194-123)
-What's the pink language around the China-Kazakhstan border?
-With regards to the Pacific islands, I was looking at ethnologue maps, which only seem to show indigenous languages

I just realised the US should be a bit more Spanish.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, I'm just not sure exactly where. Should I hatch the rest of the brown counties? Do the ones in California even really count because I'm guessing those are based on migrant workers who don't stay there year-long as opposed to the presumably white English-speaking farm owners who do. What about the counties in Cascadia? Are those geographically sizable minorities, or or they just Hispanic minorities that live within big cities and won't amount to much area-wise?

Didn´t know we speak Latvian in South Estonia. Mulgi is not Latvian. Yes the name means 'stupid' in Latvian, but Mulgi is a South Estonian language spoken mainly in Viljandi County, an Uralic language like Finnish, Estonian, Mari, etc. On the map for some reason Pärnu and Viljandi County speak Latvian, an Indo-European Language.

Didn´t know we speak Latvian in South Estonia. Mulgi is not Latvian. Yes the name means 'stupid' in Latvian, but Mulgi is a South Estonian language spoken mainly in Viljandi County, an Uralic language like Finnish, Estonian, Mari, etc. On the map for some reason Pärnu and Viljandi County speak Latvian, an Indo-European Language.
I think it was a slight northerning of this one:
languages_of_europe3.png

I think that some of the majority Spanish-speaking areas near me are large enough to get some hatch patches. I'm working on a northeast Illinois language map; when I finish it I will post it here.

I actually did make that patch, but never posted it. These are the parts of the midwestern United States where hashing for Spanish makes sense. I started with this list and cross-checked it with language statistics. Then I only included hashing when there was a significant cluster of settlements, not a single town or neighborhood, where the Spanish language has significant widespread usage. It ends up being conservative, but appropriately so IMO.

That said, the West should have much more Spanish, in particular Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, California, and Washington. Working out just where to make hash marks there will be significantly more work than this little patch.

Spanish united states QBAM patch png.png

Can someone make an East Asia linguistics map with everything same but Korean having "influence" in Shandong and the Amur River basin? Thanks beforehand

Status
Not open for further replies.