Lincoln Lives: How a failed assassination changed the course of a Nation and a newly freed people

In terms of the wanting a middle class South it is something subject to what the ground allows to be planted. I have lived in places where the ground allows apple crops and corn to be planted where a thriving middle class lived side by side with sprawling plantations before and after the war.

Cash crops favor economies of scale and rigid wealth pyramids. The entire plantation system of the South almost dissolved at the end of the Civil War for lack of capital. It was the second and third sons of wealthy northerners who came down South in large numbers with cash and took over many plantations that prevented a total collapse.

The hidden secret of reconstruction was carpet baggers kept the southern plantation alive. If plantations had disappeared would a middle class have appeared in places where cash crops are king? I doubt it.

Some questions:

1. Since the US has and is involved in Nicaragua will there be more research into tropical diseases such as malaria?

2. Due to the border raids in Oklahoma will black ownership of firearms be higher? Would we see more 'hunting and sportsmen' clubs?

3. What is the status of immigration from Asia? Are they still heavily discriminated against?

4. Are Native Americans treated any better that OTL? Has anyone suggested they receive more autonomy?
1. Initially no, but it is possible that someone make the connection like Major Ross did in OTL in Panama about Mosquitos and transmission.

2. It is already fairly high with all of the prior soldiers that served the Union having either been allowed to keep their weapons to serve as security for the territory or they simply bought some on the way out.

3. Yes, per the earlier chapter mentioning the Chinese Massacre in LA, there was still discrimination.

4. The Indian Wars are still going on so that colors some of the opinions, however, the "Civilized" tribes that are in Sequoyah are treated better, better than blacks but not quite equal to whites. There will be some changes in relation to the new lands acquired in Ruperts Land and North West territory.

In terms of the wanting a middle class South it is something subject to what the ground allows to be planted. I have lived in places where the ground allows apple crops and corn to be planted where a thriving middle class lived side by side with sprawling plantations before and after the war.

Cash crops favor economies of scale and rigid wealth pyramids. The entire plantation system of the South almost dissolved at the end of the Civil War for lack of capital. It was the second and third sons of wealthy northerners who came down South in large numbers with cash and took over many plantations that prevented a total collapse.

The hidden secret of reconstruction was carpet baggers kept the southern plantation alive. If plantations had disappeared would a middle class have appeared in places where cash crops are king? I doubt it.
That's exactly why the KKK got beaten back so early by plantation owners for expedited the movement of freed slaves with their tactics costing them cheap labor. It is also what led to them importing large numbers of poor Europeans to help bridge the gap, they will pay more than OTL paying these immigrants but they are still cheaper than paying native born whites. So there will still be a middle class and industrialization in the South will take off a little earlier in some cities than happened OTL but for most part, South will develop as OTL and be relatively poor compared with the North and Midwest. The exceptions being Nicaragua and Santo Domingo, who will have sizeable growth for cash crops and eventually the Canal in Nicaragua's case, especially considering it will be a US state by that point, unlike Panama, so Nicaragua will eventually be pretty well off.

Hey Everyone! Requesting an assist here. I'm working on my draft for the next chapters but hitting a roadblock and could use some ideas to incorporate. I am good from 1876 to 1881 but then I hit a wall. I have a gap from 1881 to 1895 and need some ideas as this period is something I simply havent focused a lot on other then key, large events. I'm leaning towards a two term Garfield as one change and no President Harrison but other than that Im stuck with only using majority bullet point information as fillers.

Any suggestions appreciated and if I use them you will be Ack in the end of chapter notes, thanks in advance!

The Chisholm, and other cattle trails, ended in Kansas in OTL.
A combination of the Freedman Bureau and enterprising citizens in Oklahoma bring the rail lines down to Oklahoma.
There, other industries come about to support the cattle drives and the shipping of the cattle.
There is racial mixing, too, black folk go down to Texas to work in the cattle ranching industry, white folks find this more acceptable, as they met and interacted with black folks in the Black State.
When canning, etc, goes industrial, it gets done in Oklahoma, as well as Chicago.

The Chisholm, and other cattle trails, ended in Kansas in OTL.
A combination of the Freedman Bureau and enterprising citizens in Oklahoma bring the rail lines down to Oklahoma.
There, other industries come about to support the cattle drives and the shipping of the cattle.
There is racial mixing, too, black folk go down to Texas to work in the cattle ranching industry, white folks find this more acceptable, as they met and interacted with black folks in the Black State.
When canning, etc, goes industrial, it gets done in Oklahoma, as well as Chicago.
That could be good use to tie into my plans for Oklahoma, which is a little different than I imagine most are thinking to this point.

This happens:
Barrios' War of Reunification (Spanish: Intentona de Barrios) was a war initiated by President Justo Rufino Barrios of Guatemala. His goal was to reunify Central America with himself as President
Here’s a link:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrios'_War_of_Reunification
That would be a nice change of pace, a little focus close to home but still international. Thanks

Mischief in the Mosquito Coast.
Well, what is the Mosquito Coast, you ask?
A coastal area with fluctuating borders along the eastern coast of present-day Nicaragua and Honduras.
While accounts vary, the locals appear to be descended from the survivors of a shipwrecked slave ship who reached this area in the mid-seventeenth century.
American Nicaragua gets into its head that it wants the territory, not as a reserve.
The British, Spanish or Prussian decide to do things.
A Scottish con man takes notes from history and causes problems.
It’s a rich and complex subject.
Have fun.

France began work on the Panama canal in 1881 in our TL.
They do so again in this one.
End result is the same, work stopped because of engineering problems and a high worker mortality rate.
But the Americans in Nicaragua learn from it. Start making plans.

Mischief in the Mosquito Coast.
Well, what is the Mosquito Coast, you ask?
A coastal area with fluctuating borders along the eastern coast of present-day Nicaragua and Honduras.
While accounts vary, the locals appear to be descended from the survivors of a shipwrecked slave ship who reached this area in the mid-seventeenth century.
American Nicaragua gets into its head that it wants the territory, not as a reserve.
The British, Spanish or Prussian decide to do things.
A Scottish con man takes notes from history and causes problems.
It’s a rich and complex subject.
Have fun.
Yeah, that was something I had planned to finish up Nicaragua prior to the canal, in OTL they added the majority of the coast to Nicaragua in 1894, so it was going to be add the coast and then begin canal work.

The Washington Monument took 23 years to complete.
A similar effect for the Nicaragua canal would be interesting.
It opens just in time for the turn of the century.
That is in 1901, of course. The century does not start in 1900 because we do not start counting with 0.

In the CP? Not likely. As a co-belligerent with one or more? Perhaps. The only thing I will say openly before then is that the US will be neutral at the start and will NOT be a co-belligerent of UK/France/Russia.
I can see a Champ Clark Presidency leading to this. IOTL both TR and Wilson were pro-Entente.

There also is over in northern latin america a plan by the Venezuelan leader of the time to recreate the Gran Colombia with the addition of Ecuador, this happens a bit later on though in the 1890s but you could play with that, OTL this failed due to the fact that the plan hinged on the liberals getting in power or winning a civil war.

A few Wikipedia articles related to the topic (unfortunately no article or mention to the attempt I am talking about in English but the spanish one could be readable through Google Translate)

There also is over in northern latin america a plan by the Venezuelan leader of the time to recreate the Gran Colombia with the addition of Ecuador, this happens a bit later on though in the 1890s but you could play with that, OTL this failed due to the fact that the plan hinged on the liberals getting in power or winning a civil war.

A few Wikipedia articles related to the topic (unfortunately no article or mention to the attempt I am talking about in English but the spanish one could be readable through Google Translate)
Thanks, those are great ideas. I think ive got a good bit to try and work off of now.

Chapter 6: Ghosts of the Past

Chapter 6: Ghosts of the Past​

As President Tilden is inaugurated in March of 1877, he has no idea that a great controversy is brewing. A Yale History student, whom no one ever seems to recall his name, has just published a dissertation on the events leading up to, and through, the Walker Filibuster in what is now the US territory of Nicaragua and the paper unofficially called the European Betrayal. Within a month, diplomatic messages are flying back and forth as some in Congress openly call for war against the two powers. The paper has shown that, without any doubt, not only did French Mexico use its ports to ship out cotton, beef, and tobacco from the CSA and funnel both money and weapons back to them, the UK also helped send arms and supplies from the CSA via Mexico to support Walker directly in his filibuster. This claim helped solve the puzzle on how Walker was able to stay in power so long, it was with the CSA’s help (and their hope) that he stayed in power, planning to join the CSA as a new slave territory once they won their independence, the first step in the Golden Circle that would build a slave empire around the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico. There was also included a partial members list of the Knights of the Golden circle, which included two well-known names; John Wilkes Booth attempted assassin of Lincoln, and current outlaw and folk hero Jesse James. The paper went on to suggest that this aid directly led to the lengthening of the war and cost a combined 50,000 to 100,000 extra deaths than may have occurred without their interference. President Tilden knew that only a decade out from the civil war, the US was simply not capable of taking on two powers and only through tense negotiations throughout the summer of 1877 was he able to negotiate a public apology from the two nations as well as a temporary trade deal to provide relief from UK and French tariffs in an attempt to appease the US Congressman. This in the end did work as it took away enough support to prevent a war declaration, but in the years to come, both powers would learn that the US Congress has a very long memory. It was later discovered through a private letter to the British PM, that Tilden had openly expressed hope that this would blow over and that the US could form a strong trade alliance if not future military alliance due to the shared culture and language with the British. Many historians suspect this is what would cost Tilden re-election, as many Americans viewed him as an Anglophile and a puppet, thinking he loved the British too much to properly punish them for their transgression revealed by the European Betrayal.

While the talks with the British and French were underway, President Tilden was also dealing with the ongoing Indian Wars that had not yet ended and had in fact spiked again with the Dakota Gold Rush of 1875 to 1877 bringing miners in conflict with the natives, leading to the Great Sioux war. Union civil war hero General George Custer would end up being killed in this conflict, dying during the Battle of Little Bighorn in a battle led by Crazy Horse. While the gold rush had caused an economic boom in the Dakota territory, another boom was going on in the Oklahoma and Sequoyah territories as the cattle industry was boom and taking advantage of the railroads to ship their beef nationally and internationally. Trails like the Chisholm trail, the Great Western Trail, and the Shawnee trail help spawn trading posts that would grow into boomtowns all along the way, bringing in great wealth to the two territories. However, in the Oklahoma territory the same wealth was also met with an uptick in violence between majority white and Latino cowboys and the local black majority, eventually leading to an end of the trails that went through Oklahoma by the mid 1880s as the ranchers were tired of the violence claiming good ranch hands and repair bills that had to be paid for busted up saloons and hotels. It would lead to a slight economic downturn that would only go away in the mid 1890s a decade later thanks to black gold but that will be discussed in a later chapter.

While happy for the growth of the Civilized Tribes in Sequoyah, the Indian Wars showed there was much to be done amongst the like of the Apache, Sioux, and Commanche. Especially since more natives, referred to in the former Ruperts Land as First Peoples, had been acquired with the land purchases since the end of the civil war. President Tilden, using a survey started under President Grant, decided to use the ongoing bloodshed as a way to convince Congress to support a new proposal of his. He proposed the creation of two large, semi-autonomous zones for the Natives (aka, First Peoples) to be created out of the new lands. These lands would be open to ALL natives who did not wish to live under “white man's rule” as they would say. In return for essentially allowing them to live as they see fit, they agree to abide by certain national laws, provide troops when the US declares war, and use US currency when financial transactions occur, as well as allow occasional surveys of the land and wildlife on behalf of the Federal Government. The first territory was called Utqiagvik Reservation, most people simply refer to it as the North Slope Borough, making up most of Northern Alaska and the primary land controlled by the Iñupiat peoples. The second was carved out of land that sits between the two states east of what was then called British Columbia, the states of Mackenzie and Saskatchewan. The Cree Reservation, which is the more populous of the two as it ended up welcoming over 100,000 refugees from the lower United States due to the Indian Wars. This is one of few, well regarded policies of the President and is universally agreed to have helped prevent the same wars from springing up in the new territories. Future oil and gas discoveries within both territories would one day help fund the Reservation governments, allowing for free education and health care to all natives within their borders.

In July of 1877, a major raid was conducted by agents of the Kingdom of the Mosquito coast, a nation made up of local natives, former slaves of the Spanish colonies and pirates. President Tilden decided it was time to deal with this land and ordered the Army to mount an expedition to finally eradicate the threat. The local garrison of 1,000 was reinforced with 5,000 men in early September and the combined 6,000 marched into the land and easily overwhelmed local resistance, with the remnants of the Kingdom government fleeing to its lands north of Nicaragua and east of Honduras. The land below this would be annexed officially by the US Congress in October and added to the territory of Nicaragua. The British protested, as they had officially recognized the Kingdom, however, the ongoing crisis due to the European Betrayal led to no action being taken by any European power to intervene. 1877 which had started off so well for Tilden would eventually end with what amounts a lame duck Presidency and not even a full year into his term.

Internationally as 1878 began the world sees Russia at war with the Ottomans and the British. The British ended up gaining control of Cyprus via treaty with the Ottomans and the Congress of Berlin called in June and in July a negotiated peace with the Russians and Ottomans, The Treaty of Berlin makes Serbia, Montenegro and Romania completely independent, confirms the autonomy of Bulgaria, makes Cyprus a British possession, and allows Austria-Hungary to garrison the Bosnia Vilayet. In July a Yellow fever epidemic hits New Orleans. This is the first time it is pointed out a possible connection between mosquitos and disease transmission, though it would be another decade before that was proven. Due to the anger of the response to the European Betrayal, the Republicans would make major gains the midterm elections this year, further hamstringing President Tilden. Despite the fact that he did manage to accomplish some things like the native reservations in Ruperts Land and Alaska, his Presidency would be remembered as the “Do Northing” Presidency, as he was never able to truly move beyond the Anglophile claims. So bad was it, that he was only the second incumbent to not gain his parties nomination in 1880 (first since Franklin Pierce in 1856) as Winfield Scott Hancock, a Union hero, faced off with James Garfield. Garfield would win the Presidency and Tilden’s term would mercifully end in March 1881.

Notes: Mosquito Kingdom wasnt absorbed until 1894, moved that up a bit because the US would not have allowed any actions like that on the borders of their territory without responding. As for the short chapter, all I can say is I liked changing up the President but really I hate the Gilded Age. Yes, there are critical things that happen in terms of technological innovation but the period as a whole bores me to death. I am seriously thinking of doing a brief summary of the intervening years between 1881 and 1895, simply because I have found no motivation to write anything for these years. A lame reason I know, but its hard to write when you simply have no motivation. Most of the story I have outlined led up a President Tilden and then there was a huge gap before the next part which picks up just before McKinley election. I firmly believe the story will be better at that point in time. No final decision made but highly likely a huge time jump coming.

Last edited: