Walt, Parks, and Preservation
February 5, 1949
Burbank, CA

"So, Walt. How was the Railroad Festival?" asked Frank Thomas.

"A lot of fun actually." replied Walt Disney. "Ward and I were guests of honor. We got to ride and drive a few of the smaller steam engines there too."

Walt paused for a while.

"Is something the matter?" asked Frank.

"It's about what I am going to do once I finish directing Cinderella." explained Walt. "You see, I often take my girls to the merry go round in a nearby park. As they go around and around, I was thinking about some sort of place where there was more to do than just that."

"What about your work on movies?"

"That's not enough to stop me." said Walt with a grin. "They said Snow White would fall, but look what happened. I'm pretty sure this film will be enough to help us."

Frank just nodded. He had been working almost day and night on his assignments. Namely various secondary characters like the Mice.

"Another thing," went on Walt. "I was thinking of all those diesels replacing steamers."

"So?"

"I think it's going a bit too fast. Of course, there are reasons to do it. But some steam engines should be kept around for museums. That is why I have thought of some ideas regarding a Railroad preservation society. I have already called the local National Railroad Historical Society chapter about some ideas for locomotives we could help preserve."

Frank didn't say anything for a while. Then, he decided to return to his drawing.

"Good talk, Frank. Keep up the good work."

Walt walked away, but not before speaking to his secretary.

"Call the NRHS. I have some ideas for steam engines to preserve..."

The Wind In The Willows (1949 Animated Film)
"How did we do?"
"That was actually pretty good. If you want, I could suggest some more novels you could adapt instead of me."

- Walt Disney and Walter Lantz in a conversation after the premiere of The Wind in the Willows.

Right before Pearl Harbor and the subsequent war, Walt Disney had tried to adapt The Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Ghrame.

Then, the film was dropped again in 1948. When Walt was persuaded to divert as much of his attention as possible to Cinderella. As such, he made an agreement with his former partner at Universal, Walter Lantz. He allowed Lantz's team to adapt various stories instead of him. Such as Wind in the Willows and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. In exchange for the rights to the two stories, Disney would get a good bit of cash which he would use to fund Cinderella and other future endeavors.

Released on February 14, 1949, the film generally follows the book fairly closely. The film was a major success, with many critics praising its faithfulness to the book. As well as the anti-communist political commentary that was added in. Namely, a subplot where the weasels slander a local businessman who actually treats his workers fairly well, claiming he enslaves them and murders those who object.

Termite Terrace; Burbank, CA
February 20, 1949

After viewing Wind in the Willows, Leon Schlesinger called Chuck Jones into his office.

"I've been thinking of our own movies with your department." Leon said shortly.

Jones was taken aback, but at the same time was delighted.

"What did you have in mind?" he asked.

"Really, it's up to you..." replied Leon.

"Say no more!" explained Chuck, "Can I just have the phone quickly?"

Leon agreed, and Chuck eagerly picked up the phone.

"Hello?" he asked the operator. "Can you please get me Dr. Seuss?"

OOC: I would like to credit @NoName since this was largely based his own ideas, though the film he had was The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

I'll admit, I regret not trying to start TTL in the 1800s. Because I did have some ideas for a Georgia Broad Gauge network in the 1870s.
what could you have changed? and it may be a good reason to reboot the timeline. Anyhow I really love this timeline because trains are the best vehicle ever made deserved better thank you.

FLASHBACK: The Georgia Atlantic Railroad
The Georgia Atlantic, nicknamed "The Real Peculiar Institution" began long before the US Civil War. This railroad was built to provide Georgia with a railroad link to the Atlantic Ocean at Savannah. Something which would also later be achieved with the Central of Georgia and its line via Macon.

48030091781_b7414d6de2_b.jpg

These 4-4-0s, built by Baldwin for use in India, were largely based on the Georgia Atlantic Railroad's ATL types. With the main differences being the couplers, smokestack, headlamp, and lack of yellow and purple paint.

However, this road was unique among the other railroads of America. Mainly because it initially used the 5ft 6in broad gauge system. No one knows for sure why, but one explanation that has been provided that some executives rode Brunnel's Great Western broad gauge in England and felt that it indeed could be advantageous. Whatever the story is, the choice was made, and the railroad began construction soon after in March 1832. The railroad managed to reach Statesboro in only three months, and had reached Augusta by November of that year. After a break of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years the railroad's construction started back up in February 1833, and soon was able to reach Athens in April. The ultimate western terminus of Atlanta was reached in August 1833. This use of the 5ft 6in gauge earned the line its famous (or infamous depending on the time period) nickname, the "Real Peculiar Institution".

However, the railroad did not starting running until later in 1833. Since the railroad still needed equipment and rolling stock. For that reason, the Georgia Atlantic initially had issues trying to get locomotive builders on their side. However, the Baldwin locomotive works ultimate did agree, and sent them several specially built 4-4-0s for the line. These engine were unique among American designs for a simple reason: they were almost British in terms of physical design. Nonetheless, this design was just what the Georgia Atlantic needed at the time, and many more engines were ordered of the design. Said type, called the ATL "Atlantas" by the GA line, were repeated in 1902 by Baldwin for the railroads of British India.

However, the main weakness of Broad Gauge soon became apparent for the same reason as the Brunel Gauge in the UK. After all, main reason for a narrower gauge is that it costs less. The Georgia Atlantic's trains could only run on broad gauge lines and could not share its tracks with other railroads nor run trains run along other railroads. In addition to that broad gauge was fine on main lines but prohibitively expensive on branch lines and just like airlines today operate feeder services at a loss to get passengers for their main lines, railways without a feeder service would have much lower passenger numbers. For this reason, it was decided to make their line from Athens though the Carolinas to Spartanburg, SC standard gauge.

Nonetheless, the Georgia broad gauge continued for many years. Even to the point that in the late 1840s the Georgia Atlantic ordered several more broad gauge steamers. Among them were the ATH "Athens" Class 4-6-0s to fill in for the ATLs on heavier trains. There were even the SAV "Savannah" 0-6-0s built from a cancelled locomotive order for British India, which became the only inside-cylinder locomotives used in American railroads. Both of these locomotives were later modified by different builders for use in Chile.

5294465506_a8f3ae8072_b.jpg

This Chilean 0-6-0 was built by Borsig to a similar design as the "Savannah" type. The main difference being the Savannah Class' bell instead of the dome closer to the smokebox.

Nonetheless, broad gauge was on its way out by the 1880s. At first, the Georgia Atlantic used dual gauge trackage on its lines instead. But nonetheless, all new equipment after 1875 would be standard gauge. When broad gauge was eventually phased out, the locomotives had several options comparatively. Most were sold off to 5ft 6in railroads in Latin America and British India where they continued to serve until around the 1920s. Those that stayed in Georgia had their boilers used to rebuilt them into standard gauge designs, whereas one engine, the ATL Class #1, was preserved at corporate headquarters in Atlanta. Meanwhile, the railroad was naturally a target of acquisition by the Southern Railroad in its early days. The Southern eventually bought stake in the line in 1900, and used them as a way to compete with the Central of Georgia, a subsidiary of the Illinois Central. Eventually, the Southern was allowed to buy up the line in the 1920s.

Today, the Georgia Atlantic Railroad's legacy remains in several things. Many of the broad gauge locomotives that were converted to standard gauge designs remained in operation under the Southern. Whereas a good chunk of the Broad Gauge stock that was sold off managed to survive in their new homes. Eventually, the Southeastern Railroad Museum in Atlanta bought up the #1, built some GARR replica rolling stock, and put them on their museum grounds. Where they were granted a sum by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources' Historic Preservation Division to build a segment of 5ft 6in gauge track to run it all. Today, many people come to the museum just to see the last operating remainder of the GARR's broad gauge; in addition to the museum's mainline steamers.

Last edited:
The Berkley Act: Railroad's Salvations
"All we want to do is be able to play by the same rules as everybody else, and get back in tax breaks and grants even just a piece of what we put back into the nation."
- Martin Clement, CEO of the Pennsylvania Railroad

TRUMAN INTRODUCES NATIONAL TRANSPORT ACT

Ever since the Berlin Blockade of 1948, war among the former Allies has seemed the more likely. The result was culminating in troop mobilizations on both sides, before the crisis was finally resolved. The crisis was still on many people's minds even in to 1949. As such, President Truman recently met with a number of key advisers to assess the situation and the response to future Soviet provocations, should they occur.

The conference, attending by such people as General Patton, who has a cane after a near-fatal jeep accident in Europe on December 21, 1945, has determined in order to make sure the military is ready in future provocations, all modes of transportation shall be modernized to the fullest extent possible. Senator Alben Barkley has since been commisioned to introduce our Transportation Act of 1949. Which among other things will instill a cabinet-level Department of Transportation, with expert John Barriger as the first Secretary of Transportation.

This new DOT will oversee the new Federal Railroad Administration as well as the ICC, along with newly created Federal Aviation, Highway, Transit, and Maritime administrations. Each of these would act as a funding conduit for their respective modes' programs. The FHA will oversee the construction of a system of four-lane superhighways to link the country's major urban centers by road. To pay for them, all of the roads must be toll roads. The Interstate highways will be going around cities instead of directly through them with feeder roads carrying traffic into the cities from the Interstate highway. We will also being making sure the highway looks spiffy, with plants in medians and along the sides. As well as bridges and underpasses, signage, and opportunities for drivers to stop to appreciate scenic views where possible.

As for air travel, the FAA will be responsible for spearheading the construction of a whole new system of airports across the nation, to ensure that the most modern aircraft available can link all major towns and cities. As of now primarily aiming for major transport centers like New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and Los Angeles.

Rail Travel, however, has the biggest changes."
- New York Times: August 12, 1949

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The railroads took advantage of the new support immediately. The airlines were becoming a thing- all those bomber pilots now behind the yokes of newly-built DC-6s and Constellations, and air travel cut transcontinental travel from days to hours. Not even a crack train could pull that off- and the airline didn't need Pullman contracts, and to drag around non-revenue cars. The trucking lines were taking the merchandise freight business right from under them- and didn't need unionized brakemen, switchmen and the rest of the army of personnel a railroad needed. Who was paying for all that? The railroad's taxes. To add insult to injury, and trains had to play by rules that their competition didn't. Why? Because they got some land grants 100 years ago. Being that America is the land of private enterprise. What did they do about it?

Lobby, lobby, lobby. The railroads quickly realized they would need NEED friendly legislators on their sides. Democrats to protect the jobs they'd create, and Republicans to defend themselves as the symbols of free enterprise against Big Government. The Barkley Act was that necessary shot in the arm to the railroad industry, which had been starting to falter. Under these rules, railroads would be allowed both substantial loan guarantees and slightly reduced legislation. The plan's railroad provisions had strings attached however - Washington wanted the money spent on improvements to the railroad lines themselves.

This provision would lead to many railroads adapting the Southern Pacific's method of improvements. The initial funds would go mainly to upgrading the tracks themselves as well as maintenance facilities. Equipment that could be replaced or upgraded more incrementally were given second priority. However, that did not stop the tide of diesel and electrics from making slow by increasingly sure inroads. Railroads recognized the need for more bang for their buck, and to automate the process more. Many initially considered electrics, but were still very expensive.

Few options were "sexy" like huge steamers or fast electrics, but ultimately diesels we where value lied. But railroads realized the unions would cry blue murder due to the lay-off of numerous steam employees. As such, displaced firemen and brakemen were almost immediately given engineer or conductor training. Which took less time than training a new hire from scratch, and slowed down hiring.

As for the railroads replacing locomotives, the railroads focused on replacing locomotives that were cheaper to replace. This was where the road-switchers made their big debut on American railroads. They could operate from either end just as well, and so did not need turntables or massive wyes. On their own they more horsepower than an 0-6-0 switcher with a smaller crew to boot, and power that one could reliably put down.

8852Atlas_3233929_Qty1_1.jpg

The ALCO RS-1 was one of the first successful road switchers. Such as the case that today, Chrysler-ALCO still builds diesels to a similar design.

Railroads looked towards rolling stock that were the least maintenance intensive and most durable, standardized cars. It was decided to have everything on roller bearings, so no hotboxes means trains could get longer, and didn't need a head end brakeman. When placed behind a diesel or electric, crews shrank down to four or three, a 40% savings per train right there on crew. For perishable freight, all-metal, plug-door insulated box cars replaced icehouses and top-ice reefers with mechanical reefers. Other cars were set up for standardization - 52' mill gondolas, 50' grain hoppers, 50' and then 60' tankers, 40' standard and 60' hi-cube boxcars, and 75' hi-cube end-door boxcars with circus style ramps for autos. Ore jennies and open hoppers came as needed. Cabooses became all metal, roller bearing, radio-equipped, and began to run through on a pool system. This would be a durable fleet that rolled fast and smooth with minimal breakdowns.

Many other railroads on the other hand sought to electrify, and began to buy shares in power utilities and coal mines. Those that sought electrification made the contract to haul coal to the plant, and make back some traction power expenses too. Not only did electrics have the most power, they have the fewest parts that can break. Indeed, this model would be followed by many railroads that intended to electrify. Such as the Pennsylvania, Rio Grande, New York Central, Southern Pacific, and most importantly the Milwaukee Road...

OOC: Special thanks to @TheMann, @WaterproofPotatoes, and @Joe Bonkers for allowing me to use their ideas.

Last edited:
Most likely in the long run. Mostly to make sure they are paid for and well maintained. Not to mention having state roads function similarly.
I guess it's different since there is more competition but I really despise toll roads when they re the only convenient way to go. I like express lanes because it allows people to pay to go faster but it still leaves a convenient route for the rest of us plebeians.

I guess it's different since there is more competition but I really despise toll roads when they re the only convenient way to go. I like express lanes because it allows people to pay to go faster but it still leaves a convenient route for the rest of us plebeians.
Well, the future does have a better rail transport system to make up for that. At least once the oil problems begin...

That said, I may have most major highways become express ways later on.

Santa Fe Passenger Trains in 1949
During the immediate post-war years, railroads began desiring to update their passenger equipment to make them better suited to competition with at least roads.

But as airlines began to make inroads nationwide, the railroads realized that if anything, it was a fool's errand to compete with the airlines on speed for anything much over about 300 miles, even for the fastest trains. As such, the Santa Fe Railroad came up with a more ingenious solution; partnering with the airlines, taking their cue from the airlines' modern service to make their long-distance trains as comfortable as possible.

Their real market was those customers who would otherwise drive long distances, and the railroads aggressively marketed to those customers with great success. Almost immediately, the Santa Fe made plans to drop a few of the shorter-distance trains so they could use the stock on the real money-makers like the Super Chief. Above all however, the ATSF began introducing on its mainlines in the southwest upgrades like cement ties and welded rails.

The next step would be the dieselization of these passenger trains. The 3460 Hudsons had been over-worked and due for retirement by the end of the war. That, combined with the faster nature of diesels, is why they were among the first steamers relegated to lesser duties then retired. However, the 3460 was repainted in its one of a kind "Blue Goose" livery for one last Chicago - Los Angeles run before being retired. Walt Disney himself saw the last run, and helped form a fund to have the engine preserved. The 3463 would also survive and be preserved in Topeka.

300px-ATSF_309_%28Flickr_22322834666%29.jpg

Santa Fe quickly took a liking to the EMD E and F Units for their major passenger trains. Particularly with the bi-level cars introduced in the 1950s.

The Santa Fe's success with such advertising techniques and operations would not go un noticed. Especially not by railroads in the scenic American west where similar strategies would likely work wonders.

OOC: Special thanks to @Joe Bonkers, @WaterproofPotatoes and @TheMann for their help.

would the success of trains in America effect the world?
I'd say it would. The difference in how the US builds its infrastructure compared to otl will give other countries who only invest in infrastructure some years later as their economy picks up after the War a very different example to work from. Especially true for the US occupied areas in Germany. Could Japan go more rail oriented than otl?

Having the interstates be toll roads should cut down on their use, but would still seem a great success since they're paying for themselves to a far larger extent. Business cases for expansions will have to be far better than most ever had in otl too.

With more local rail infra kept running and fewer dense inner city neighbourhoods destroyed to make way for motorways, I'd expect there to be more people not having cars, used to riding some form of rail every day, and living within walking/biking/tram distance to the main rail stations. Thus leading to more passengers for intercity rail travel.