Life magazine goes AH in June 1940

Geon

Donor
Also look at this

LIFE actually did a similar article in March of 1942. I posted a link to that issue on this thread.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=167163

Incidentally the map showing how the Germans and Japanese were going to attack in the 1940 article was used in the 1942 article along with much more lurid black and white drawings of what a Japanese invasion of the west coast would look like.

Geon

Last edited:
There are two things in Life's South American scenario that I find quite interesting:
It's more or less implicit, even if they disguise it as an invasion, that the authors feel that in the event of an axis win in Europe South America will side with the axis. There's a built in "we can't trust the southerners" that's very house Stark.
The idea of Cuba being used as a base for bombing the US and as a base for staging an invasion must have made an impression on people who later lived through the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Hoist40

Banned
Maybe it was from Life magazine that Roosevelt got his secret map that he talked about in this Navy Day Address on October 27, 1941

For example, I have in my possession a secret map made in Germany by Hitler's government-by the planners of the new world order. It is a map of South America and a part of Central America, as Hitler proposes to reorganize it. Today in this area there are fourteen separate countries. The geographical experts of Berlin, however, have ruthlessly obliterated all existing boundary lines; and have divided South America into five vassal states, bringing the whole continent under their domination. And they have also so arranged it that the territory of one of these new puppet states includes the Republic of Panama and our great life line-the Panama Canal.

That is his plan. It will never go into effect.

This map makes clear the Nazi design not only against South America but against the United States itself.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/timeline/411027awp.html

Maybe it was from Life magazine that Roosevelt got his secret map that he talked about in this Navy Day Address on October 27, 1941

http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/timeline/411027awp.html

I think that was a reference to this map.

2u41qip.jpg

The Nazis did have plans for South America, but those were thwarted, in part by an outreach campaign involving, among others, Henry A. Wallace and Walt Disney.

Just dug up the 24thJune issue of Life Magazine on Google Books. There's an article quoting "military experts" on how the "fascists" could invade the USA after defeating Britain. Clearly written to scare readers into supporting more defence spending, it would be widely attacked as totally insane by a lot of us if presented as AH thread now.

As of June 1940, Germany had just won a spectacular, almost totally unexpected victory, in large part by the extremely effective application of unprecedented military techniques.

It should not be in the least surprising that contemporary observers feared that Germany might do much more.

The interests of Americas might have been better served had 'The Times' published this map in their Japanese issue. It so clearly conflicts with the infamous Tanaka plan that it would lead to breaking up the alliance between the Germans and the Japanese and might bring one or the other to the Allied camp. :eek:

:D