Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people went for Nazi and Soviet comparisons on the rewriting of history, but I don't think what happened in Canada was that much more egregious than the rewriting of colonization and slavery you see across the OTL Western Hemisphere. In America you have the Lost Cause myth and Argentina basically wrote its Black population out of history after it mostly exterminated them. Those are just examples off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others.
Another good equivalent IMO for this could be Austria declaring they were Germany's "first victim" after WW2.

Post-War America Part III: Containing Brazil
Post-War America Part III: Containing Brazil

20110531021008SI-2005-35514Am.jpg

Valdez Raptor Helicopters in Bolivia (1954)
It might be easy to think that America was entirely at peace in the post-war period. The popular image of the era is of growing prosperity and social progress, not bombs and guns. However, America in fact fought a proxy war turned undeclared war against Brazil. Although America didn't achieve a total victory, it was nonetheless a strong victory. America preserved her dominance in the Western Hemisphere, and Brazil looked to Africa and Europe to expand her power, de facto ceding control to the US for the time being. However, the Americans did learn a newfound respect for their rivals.

Bolivia in 1952 was not a happy place. Roiled by ethnic tensions and torn between parties that were in turn Croixist, Communist, Nationalist, and pro-American, the country was tottering. All it took was a push. On February 3rd, Brazilian agents and the powerful Croixist faction of the Army assassinated the President along with the legislature and welcomed 12,000 Brazilian troops into the country. The new ruling junta announced that Brazil would be establishing an alliance with their newly declared National State of Bolivia. This was a clear threat to American power and America's allies in Latin America, and it could not go unanswered. President Patton announced that the United States would not recognize the new regime in Bolivia on February 5th. At the same time, 4,000 troops stationed in Argentina were moving rapidly toward Bolivia, even as the President was ordering another 50,000 troops to deploy into the country via Peru. The first "advisors" made contact with Bolivian government troops on March 2nd. Despite the unfamiliar terrain, the superior American forces routed the enemy. However, they would soon get bogged down in other, less fortuitous circumstances. The dense Bolivian jungles were a boon to the defenders, and even as the larger force of 50,000 troops marched into Bolivia in May, the beleaguered initial force was surrounded and running low on supplies. Clearly, allies would be needed.

They were found in the Katarismo movement and Afro-Bolivian communities. Bolivia had long dominated its Native and Black communities in favor of a kind of general White-Mestizo dominance. By the 50's, they were sick of it. The Americans took advantage of this and reached out to both communities, sending Native and Black emissaries in full dress uniforms to communities. It caused quite a stir among these groups to see people like them as a proud and respected representative of one of the world's most powerful empires. By July of '52, most of the Native communities and Afro-Bolivians were at least sympathetic to the Americans, if not outright supporting them. Native guides helped American troops navigate the terrain, helping to keep more troops alive. However, the fact of the matter was that the jungle was an even worse enemy than the Brazilians and Bolivians. Something needed to be done.

The Eurasians developed the Z-67, the first mass produced military helicopter, in the mid 40's for use in Central Asia. America and Germany had both since aped the technology. One of America's most prominent defense contractors, Valdez Aviation Industries, developed the RA-2 Valdez Helicopter, nicknamed the Raptor, in 1953, after a flood of government money spurred completion of the 4 year old project. Designed as both gunship and troop transport, the Raptor was a real workhorse. The Patton Administration invoked the Defense Production Act and was able to have 5200 units in operation by war's end. Surveillance planes would find suspected encampments and then choppers would go in. However, President Patton, like many others in the JCOS, viewed the jungle itself as a hindrance. The new V-88 Stratocaster Bomber was deployed with incendiary bombs for one reason and one reason only: to burn down the jungle. Other aircraft would be deployed for tactical strikes of a similar nature. The newly created USAF actually got its unofficial anthem from this experience. As part of a propaganda film, veterans of the wars in Cuba and Mexico joined in fly alongs with bomber crews (on safer missions). After witnessing the awesome power of one of these fiery payloads, Captain Zion Carlton of the famous all-Black Buffalo Soldiers began stomping his dress boots and clapping as he sang an old ditty popular with the boys in Cuba and Mexico:

Come along, get ready, wear your grand brand-new gown,
For there's going to be a meeting in this good good old town.
When you know everybody and they all know you,
And you get a rabbit's foot to keep away them hoodoos.

When you hear the preachin' has begin,
Bend down low for to drive away your sin;
When you get religion you'll wanna shout and sing,
There'll be a hot time in old town tonight!

My baby when you hear those bells go ding-a-ling,
All join 'round and sweetly you must sing.
And when the verse is through, in the chorus all join in:
"There'll be a hot time in the old town tonight!"

The song would catch on with the airmen, especially the bomber pilots, and it became tradition to sing the song before and after every flight, and would sometimes be sung on long-range or risky missions to calm nerves. In 1965, being able to perform the song would be a requirement for graduating Air Force boot camp or from the Air Force Academy. While the bombing missions did help the American war effort, they were devastating to Bolivia. An estimated 40,000 square miles of jungle was incinerated or damaged by bombing, some 10% of the country's landmass. The Patton Administration also flattened La Paz, Sucre, and Santa Cruz de la Sierra with strategic bombing as part of the war effort. In 1954, this would actually expand to include targeted strikes against Rio Branco in Brazil and Asuncion in Paraguay, a long-time Brazilian puppet. Despite decades of investment, Brazil was mostly powerless to prevent these strikes, as American jet technology was cutting edge. For all intents and purposes, the United States held air superiority over the continent as a whole. Furthermore, any attempts to attack American allies in a devastating way would just see the rest of the continent gang up on them with American backing.

This didn't mean the war was easy for the Americans per se. Although the devastating strikes hurt Brazil and the Bolivian government, they could only do so much. The Americans couldn't simply burn Bolivia down to the ground. Furthermore, despite Patton's wishes he couldn't unleash a total war on the continent, public opinion wouldn't allow it. There was even consideration of an atomic strike or two, but this was shot down as both overkill and making the United States look like a psychotic bully. Instead, the Patton Admin decided they wanted to wear the Brazilians down by striking at shipping and making the war too costly to sustain. This is part of what inspired the strikes against Rio Branco and Asuncion, whereas before engagements with Brazilian forces outside Bolivia had been limited to skirmishes between American allies and the Brazilians and their allies. Enduring heavy casualties and fearful of actually inciting a full on war with the United States, the Brazilians sat down with the Americans and various Bolivian factions on August 1st, 1955 and struck a deal.

Bolivia would be a neutral republic under the control of the Bolivian National Rally, a big tent center-right party. Neither the US or Brazil would be formally aligned with the Bolivians. However, Bolivia was also forbidden from seeking a partner outside the hemisphere. Instead, the US and Brazil would both allow Bolivia to access their markets and receive capital aid. The Americans also demanded, and got, protections and privileges for their Native and Afro-Bolivian collaborators. Language schools for various Native groups would be opened, partially financed by the United States, and an American style racial power-sharing agreement would keep the peace. There was also an implicit threat in that: any alterations to the deal designed to disenfranchise Native or Black Bolivians would likely inspire another American intervention, one in which Brazil might not intervene. The protections made Patton a hero among Native and Black Americans, cementing his run for a third term. There was also an implicit agreement reached between Rio and Washington in the small phrase "Both the United States of America and the Second Empire of Brazil are committed to the maintenance of the ongoing climate of peace and order." Essentially, America would stop pushing against Paraguay, Uruguay, or Brazil itself (at least formally) and the Brazilians would no longer try to expand in the Americas (formally). It was a de facto recognition of American hegemony in Latin America, even if Rio would continue to pick at it occasionally. Instead, they would cast their eyes abroad, and massively expand Brazilian power in the wake of the Great Portuguese Crisis of 1961. America would actually back Brazil in this endeavor, and although Washington came out of the Bolivian War looking better than Brazil, they developed a healthy respect for the Lusophone power. They just wouldn't share Latin America with them.

1*iEheB_-MFw9B20sNs42k_A.png

President Patton visits the troops in Bolivia in dress uniform (1953)

17b59ba4fa5ba9e3561a98e701133717.jpg

A young Captain Zion Carter, seated, in Buffalo Soldier dress uniform (1915)

71u6EMnFgwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A V-88 Stratocaster bombing Rio Branco in Operation: Curveball (1954)

Last edited:
It's not as failure prone as its OTL inspiration, but it does probably have some more minor issues. I just couldn't find a good picture for "early jet that isn't either a military craft or the much later 747."
You could use the 707 for the jet. With TTLs tech having advanced enough that the B-36 is WW2s main bomber for the US it's entirely plausible that the 707 is developed early as well.

I remaber you toying with the idea of new zealdand being anexed by america but you deiced aginst it because he thought america was strech to thin dealing with canada. So you decide to make it a procarte instead .I hope it will still gorw. I hear that new zealand has a minoor party with platform of joining america . I assueme they would be a bigger force in this time and maybe evven have seats in palirment. Do you think it is possiable that new zealand may join america out of it's one

I remaber you toying with the idea of new zealdand being anexed by america but you deiced aginst it because he thought america was strech to thin dealing with canada. So you decide to make it a procarte instead .I hope it will still gorw. I hear that new zealand has a minoor party with platform of joining america . I assueme they would be a bigger force in this time and maybe evven have seats in palirment. Do you think it is possiable that new zealand may join america out of it's one
Thanks for the thumbs up. Does that mean you are considering my suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.