Hello all,
I know the title is a little unclear, so let me explain.

I've been thinking about Alexander the Great -- and more specifically, Alexander's role in myth, legend, religion, and literature.

Alexander the Great is very rare. Not only is he identified as an important historical figure in many different traditions, but he's also a renowned figure in myth and legend, and has endured as such long after his empire had fallen. Indeed, the Alexander Romance reflects a shared tradition of storytelling and mythmaking which extends well beyond the borders of historical empire. It tells the story not just of Alexander's conquests, but also his more fantastical adventures -- ranging from finding the Fountain of Youth, to exploring the ocean floor in a glass submarine with his mermaid sister, to building a great wall against Gog and Magog. And like all storytelling traditions, it has evolved over the generations, with more fantastic elements being added and the tales themselves being adapted to suit different cultures, times, and aesthetic tastes. There are many diverse pagan, Jewish, Christian, Zoroastrian, Islamic, and Indian versions of the Alexander legend, told and retold in languages ranging from Scots to Ge'ez to Persian to Malay.

What is so compelling about Alexander the Great, that made his legend so enduring to pre-modern audiences across cultures and throughout time? Are there any other similarly-universalisable heroic characters? What makes Alexander so suitable for legend and lore?

To me, I think that it comes down to a few things:
  1. Alexander was a great conqueror, but his campaigns were accomplished within only a few years. In truth, Alexander didn't conquer the world; he essentially just conquered the Persian Empire, which had already conquered "the world." But Alexander's life was all conquest and glory, without much time for the governance or administration which, although less heroic, made Persia an enduring state.
  2. Alexander was not merely some obscure warlord; he was exalted as a great king by his successors, who legitimised their own kingship through their connections to him and by following in his example. What's more, he went out of his way to take part in non-Greek rituals and customs -- for example, he sought the legitimacy of Egyptian priests, Persian magi, the Jewish High Priest of Israel, and Hindu Brahmins. And his successors -- the Seleucids of Persia; the Ptolemies of Egypt; the Antipatrids/Antigonids of Macedon; etc -- served as the idealised models of kingship emulated in various ways by the Romans, Sassanians, etc., who in turn were emulated in various ways by various medieval Christian and Islamic dynasties. In days gone by, Alexander could be seen as a Greek hero, in the tradition of Achilles or Hercules; but it was easy to adapt the story to make him a chivalric hero like King Arthur or Charlemagne; or to other similar concepts in Islamic (futuwwa, etc), Zoroastrian, or even Indian contexts.

So, what other historical figures could be so mythologised, that their myth becomes foundational to the cultures of many different peoples? I don't want to include religious leaders like Jesus or the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) -- they set out to found/transform a religion, so obviously they would be treated as greater than mere worldly figures. I'm talking about someone like Charlemagne -- who was foundational to the cultural/literary legacies of France and the Holy Roman Empire; whose legacy would be variously claimed by France, Germany, and others; and who became a figure of myth and legend through the Matter of France. Another example might be Cyrus the Great, who remained a model for rulership long after the Achaemenid Empire had faded, even into the Hellenic and Islamic periods; and whose mythical legacy is also felt the world over, from the Shahnameh to the Arabian Nights to the Bible.

Can you think of anyone else who was, or could have been, so exalted in death that their legend and propaganda became foundational to a culture? How would the world be different if, say, mediaeval kings sought to legitimise themselves by the legacy of Carthage rather than Rome? What would European and Middle-Eastern kingship look like if Mark Antony and Cleopatra had defeated Augustus, moved the capital from Rome to Alexandria, and ruled as Pharaohs? What sort of legends would be attached to them (for example, as propaganda to legitimise their reign; or as a result of cross-cultural/intergovernmental exchange; or whatever), and how would these stories change over time and across different cultures?

Cheers, all!

German kings and others during the fall of the Roman empire have been recorded in Viking Sagas which basically only survived because Icelandic monks wrote them down, this alone tells me that lot of more stories would have float around and just weren't written down or forgotten.
In theory if they were more successful they could have been mythologized more and the Gothic kings themselves could push more of these stories to impress Scandinavians and Germans outside their Roman lands.

Last edited:
I think George Washington is a obvious choice here
1024px-Apotheosis_of_Washington_-_Close_up_of_George_Washington_%286881712763%29.jpg

I think George Washington is a obvious choice here

He did have that cherry tree myth...

Seriously, though, Washington is a great choice. In a similar vein, I submit Simon Bolivar -- perhaps even moreso, as multiple nations claim him as their founder. Bolivar could be a sort of liberal, republican Charlemagne -- just as the Frankish Empire fragmented but still celebrated Charlemagne's legacy, so too for Gran Colombia.

If the CSA had won the American Civil War, I bet that'd be true for Washington and Jefferson, too. The USA and CSA would both legitimise themselves using the same Founding Fathers, and compete over how to interpret and historiographise them. Naturally, the CSA would demonise figures like Hamilton and John Adams, who therefore might play a greater role in Yankee nationalist mythology.

I suggest Godfrey of Bouillon.
He was even included in the list of the "Nine Worthies" alongside people like King Arthur or Hector of Troy.

Last edited:
Polytheism and a lack of central religious authority makes it much easier to deify historical characters. Guan Yu of the Three Kingdoms period becoming a deity in Chinese folk religion is a great example of that happening over time.

Napoleon could easily become even more legendary.

And perhaps Julius Caesar too. Just let his avoid his assassination and then he do some more things like conquering Dachia and crushing Parthians like he planned in OTL.

Lincoln is another and I would also say Mao. If we extend the legend part I would say Hitler and Stalin are also legends on the sense that the modern world was made by them and unlike Roosevelt their legend is still in use although mostly in terms of their evils, which I would say makes them devils to the others Gods.

Because of the circumstances surrounding Nero's death, it was believed by Christians and pagans alike he would return one day. It seems very likely he was the Beast named in Revelation as for centuries after his death, Christians believed he was the Antichrist himself.

For modern figures, Hitler might qualify due to the "Esoteric Hitlerism" insanity. There are also controversial rabbis (mostly Ultra-Orthodox) who claim Hitler was a divine punishment on the Jews for their sins, just like the many others throughout Jewish history, and is sometimes named an Amalekite. Some Christians of course will claim this too. And considering Hitler's status as a figure synonymous with evil in today's culture, I think if our current civilisation were destroyed and records on World War II somehow became fragmentary, then the survivors would elevate Hitler to truly mythological terms. Oddly, I don't think such would be afforded to Hitler's wartime adversaries (besides maybe Stalin, especially in post-apocalyptic Eastern Europe). I could see the gist of the Hitler legend being that he was an evil man with nigh-divine powers that required the efforts of the entire world to defeat.

Attila the Hun is an interesting option for this. I mean the Arpad Kings of Hungary were running around claiming to have his sword and that they were descended from him(King Arthur can eat his heart out), and the whole scourge of God nickname and his meeting with Pope Leo(Which at least one medieval account stated that during the Pope promised his descendants would rule over Hungary in exchange for not burning down Rome) means that their is a lot of potential for a national mythology to develop around him and his conquests in Hungary especially considering that Hungary AFAIK already has a bit of thing going in terms off its connections with the Turkish world as its already an observer state in the Organisation of Turkish States.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of he strictly counts as a conqueror but King Ashoka from India definitely fits the bill. His reformation from bloodthirsty conqueror sounds like something from a myth.
Add to that his largely successful buddhist missionary activity and he definitely comes across as a legendary figure.

I'm not sure of he strictly counts as a conqueror but King Ashoka from India definitely fits the bill. His reformation from bloodthirsty conqueror sounds like something from a myth.
Add to that his largely successful buddhist missionary activity and he definitely comes across as a legendary figure.

Or then Chandragupta Maurya. Just make Maurya Empire survive bit longer and make India China style nation where the country remain as unified but dynasties changes cyclically like Chinese ones.

So, what other historical figures could be so mythologised, that their myth becomes foundational to the cultures of many different peoples?
There are/were as many of these figures, as there are National myths. The Germans had Barbarossa (the first Reich) the Dutch have William of Orange, who is still called father of the fatherland. France has Jeanne d'Arc.
And all these mythologizing took place years after their death in the 19th century, to give the 'Nation' an as soon as possible beginning.

Somehow, Jose Rizal. Which is really odd, when one thinks about it: he was a nationalist writer who didn't really advocate for revolution, yet through the chaos of the Philippine Revolution, he has become a national hero and the incarnation of Jesus in some cults.

Here’s my personal favorites list, some of whom I would go to say I admire or find interesting. I don't want to say them exactly fits "legends" but they are quite in no particular order:
  • Napoleon Bonaparte
  • Genghis Khan
  • Qin Shi Huang
  • George Washington
  • Vlad III Tepes "The Impaler"
  • Tamerlane
  • Elizabeth I
And here's a list of figures I find interesting and amazing but doesn't fit your category of being " foundational to the cultures of many different peoples." (Though, some could be argued for)
  • Oda Nobunaga
  • Yi Sun-sin
  • Toyotomi Hideyoshi
  • Tokugawa Ieyasu
  • Gustavus Adolphus
  • Peter the Great
  • Catherine the Great
  • Mehmed the Conquerer
  • Suleiman the Magnificent
  • Mughal Emperor Akbar
  • Charles XII
  • El Cid
  • Cesare Borgia (Yes, I think he’s a very interesting figure in his own right)
  • The Catholic Monarchs (Lumping them both in)
  • Philip II

Lincoln is another and I would also say Mao. If we extend the legend part I would say Hitler and Stalin are also legends on the sense that the modern world was made by them and unlike Roosevelt their legend is still in use although mostly in terms of their evils, which I would say makes them devils to the others Gods.
Not Stalin, but Lenin - he was definitely idolized in the USSR (and satellites), way beyond being a mere mortal leader (though not going to the way of the first Kim). Stalin quickly rose to to that level even during his life, but then equally quickly fell out of favour. In an AH where the USSR survives with the ideology (if not economic system) intact, à la China, he would be very well on the path to become an eternal legend.

(and it goes without saying that in any Nazi victorious timeline, Hitler would be the legend of all the legends)

German kings and others during the fall of the Roman empire have been recorded in Viking Sagas which basically only survived because Icelandic monks wrote them down, this alone tells me that lot of more stories would have float around and just weren't written down or forgotten.
In theory if they were more successful they could have been mythologized more and the Gothic kings themselves could push more of these stories to impress Scandinavians and Germans outside their Roman lands.

An interesting example is Theodorich the Great, later "mythologified" as Dietrich von Bern in later Medieval legend, who was adopted as a model of ideal kingship in the HRE. Very interesting example, because the real Theodorich was deeply Romanized as governed a more Roman than Germanic society.