Led Zeppelin re-launch 1986 with Tony Thompson on drums

hammo1j

Donor
John Bonham died in 1980 as a result of drinking too much on the day and choking on his own vomit.

The band thought they would be split for ever but in 1985 the 3 survivors performed at live aid with fellow Atlantic star Tony Thompson with such success that there would be a revival of Zeppelin planned for 1986.

Thompson was a very different drummer to Bonham, being part of the Chic Organisation that ran up a huge series of Disco hits from 1976 to 1981. Unfortunately he suffered a debilitating car accident and the plans were scrapped.

So WI it had all worked out? Would we have had a Zeppelin to rival the 80s rockers?

marathag

Banned
Everyone loves what LZ did in the early '70s.
Later stuff, not so much.
Still, would be as successful as the Rolling Stones and Who were at this point.
1986 is still too late to restart, having missed the changes of postPunk and New Wave/Alternative Rock of the early to mid '80s, and would start just as HairMetal was fizzling out.

Everyone loves what LZ did in the early '70s.
Later stuff, not so much.
Still, would be as successful as the Rolling Stones and Who were at this point.
1986 is still too late to restart, having missed the changes of postPunk and New Wave/Alternative Rock of the early to mid '80s, and would start just as HairMetal was fizzling out.
Hair metal was still huge in 1986. It was the year of Slippery When Wet, and the debut album by Poison. That said, I cant see Zep jumping onto that bandwagon. Maybe what we get sounds more along the lines of Page's Outrider album, only with Plant on vocals.

hammo1j

Donor
I have been listening to a lot of led Zeppelin and the amazing thing of bonhams drumming is that he manages to hit so many notes and still keep it in time.

Thompson on the other hand is about the very very minuscule slowing down and slowing up of the beat that is contained within disco music.

If you listen to the solo on the freak by chic you can hear it just as it's kicking in the time slows down almost like you are waiting for an orgasm

Clearly Thomson could play all that Bonham played but maybe he would never come up with it himself but it would be quite interesting to hear what would happen with a more spacer beat with Zeppelin

hammo1j

Donor
They would have picked Tony because there was some space to fill.
The Actual sound of Plant's guitar is a joy to feel

marathag

Banned
Clearly Thomson could play all that Bonham played but maybe he would never come up with it himself but it would be quite interesting to hear what would happen with a more spacer beat with Zeppelin
Hmm, just as ELP is breaking up, Carl Palmer gets tapped for Drums for LZ, and he does that in place of Asia in 1981

Love me some Zep. (See Sean Bean introducing Zep to help save Westeros).

Howver, there is a shelf life to genius level musical creativity. It varies, sure. The Stones were legendary from the late 60s to 1982; an extraordinary shelf life.

But as Presence and In Through The Out Door demonstrated, Zeps creative zenith was likely already passed.

A reformed Zep might have Honeydrippers level of success. I wouldn’t bank on any more than that. With Bonham’s death, Page’s drug problems, Plant’s physical issues, and the changes of family/maturing into their mid30s ... well the juice has been all but squeezed out of that lemon.

Sadly, that middle earth bluesy magic won’t get rekindled no matter who they bring in as a replacement.

(Unless maybe it’s Neil Pert. Bonham’s equal on the drums and a freaking great lyricist in his own right.)

I guess it depends ..

If you got something like manic nirvana and outsider along with the firm .. sure .. zep wasn't heavy metal.. it was blues rock. Just heavy.

Are the gon a compete with gnr or bon Jovi or other 80s rock.. no idea.. depends on a direction they would take. Plant had grown out of zep. Page was evolving .. Jones.. well he is jpj

New blood infusion could help

But .. sadly we will never know

But as Presence and In Through The Out Door demonstrated, Zeps creative zenith was likely already passed.

Probably so, but the excess had caught up with them, so it's hard to judge. Presence was an unplanned album thrown toegther after Plant's car accident, and In through the Out Door (which, I concede, is their worst studio album) had to be cranked out with Page AWOL as a heroin fiend. If Page gets cleaned up (as he did before long), it's not at all impossible that in a world where Bonzo doesn't die, that they would have bounced back with something at least worthy of their mid-period . . . if not necessarily a IV. If the Stones could recover from Emotional Rescue to put out a Tattoo You, it's not unreasonable to wonder what Zeppelin could have done if it climbed out of an even lower low.

A reformed Zep might have Honeydrippers level of success. I wouldn’t bank on any more than that. With Bonham’s death, Page’s drug problems, Plant’s physical issues, and the changes of family/maturing into their mid30s ... well the juice has been all but squeezed out of that lemon.

What stops me here is the word "success." Because if you mean "critical success," I might be able to buy that, for a Zeppelin with Thompson after five years in a cryo freezer. If you mean commercial success, then I'm flabbergasted, because the vast reservoirs of devotion Zeppelin had in the American heartland in the mid-80's were so potent and so starved that they could have released 45 minutes of Robert Plant's hair dryer and still had a #1 and sold out any and every stadium in the land.

Not that there was any chance of it, though. Plant had no interest in re-forming in the first place, and the haggard performance they turned in only reinforced it.

What stops me here is the word "success." Because if you mean "critical success," I might be able to buy that, for a Zeppelin with Thompson after five years in a cryo freezer. If you mean commercial success, then I'm flabbergasted, because the vast reservoirs of devotion Zeppelin had in the American heartland in the mid-80's were so potent and so starved that they could have released 45 minutes of Robert Plant's hair dryer and still had a #1 and sold out any and every stadium in the land.
Sure, the Stones made a lot money with the albums and tours post Tattoo You, but they were not the same genuises of their younger days.

I got no issue with a never breaking up Zep or a Zep II being very commercially successful in the 80s and into the 90s. I'd have been right there buying whatever got pushed out. Though I wouldn't go so far as to say that 45 minutes of Plant's hair dyer would have reached #1, LOL. :extremelyhappy:

If Page gets cleaned up (as he did before long), it's not at all impossible that in a world where Bonzo doesn't die, that they would have bounced back with something at least worthy of their mid-period
Those are some long asks.

And Page, post Zep and clean, never exactly set the music industry on fire again. Nor did Plant.

IMHO, the absolute best arc type that could be achieved, and the parallels are creepy similar with drummer death and heroin addiction, is an equivalent level of success as The Who and Pete Townshend's solo work found circa 1980 to 1985:
1980 - Empty Glass (Pete)
1981 - Face Dances (Who)
1982 - All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes (Pete)
1982 - Its Hard (Who)
1985 - White City (Pete)

And Page, post Zep and clean, never exactly set the music industry on fire again. Nor did Plant.

Not in terms of record sales, maybe - though Plant was not so shabby in terms of units moved. It was a quite respectable solo career, both critically and commercially. It only looks modest in comparison to the monsters Zeppelin had been in the 70's.

I think the real question is what kind of dynamic Plant could have had with Page as a songwriting team at that point. I think the prospects are somewhat better for a 1980-83 timeframe with Bonzo on hand and no break-up, than with Tony Thompson in 1985-86.

I think they would have experiment more with their music in the late 80s like several other bands did.

Think like the Firm the group Jimmy Page did with Bad Company’s Paul Rodgers when it comes to their sound.

Unfortunately he suffered a debilitating car accident and the plans were scrapped.

One thing I do think needs to be clarified is that, by pretty much all accounts, it's not fair to blame Thompson's car accident for a Zeppelin reunion never happening. It was never really in the cards to begin with.

A lot has been said and written about it, but for the moment, this is the easiest thing to hand:

The foursome arguably spent more time in a tiny club in a little English village than they did writing, rehearsing or recording. The good times quickly turned into a bit of mess – including a car crash and hospital stay for Thompson.​
“Jonesy and I often chose to walk back to the place we were staying, at two in the morning. Pagey wouldn't come out, which is hardly the way to get everything back together again,” Plant recalled. “Meanwhile, Tony became a celebrity and was metaphorically earned around on everybody's shoulders. He ended up in one of these small mini-cars with five other people. They took a corner too fast and ended up in somebody's basement, went off the road, through some iron railings and down a few steps … . Tony was lying in the hospital going, ‘Oh, man, oh, man.’ So that was the end of him.”​
And that was about the end of the sessions too. Page reportedly had tech issues, needing to replace the batteries in his wah-wah pedal constantly, and with no drummer, one of Plant’s roadies jumped in behind the kit. The group just wasn’t gelling.​
With the Firm’s second album, Mean Business, already shipped and the band about to embark on a March tour, Page was short on time. And according to Jones’ account in Jimmy Page: Magus, Musician, Man: An Unauthorized Biography, Page and Plant were both short on desire.​
“I don't know if Jimmy was quite into it, but it was good,” he said. “I suppose it came down to Robert wanting to pursue his solo career at the expense of anything else.” Jones hoped for more, as he told writer Mick Wall. “There’s definitely the feeling of unfinished business about the band," he said. "We had hoped to do to the '80s what we did to the '70s. I still very much regret that we never got that chance.”​

Also, see this interview with Robert Plant, some years later.

The bottom line seems to be that while Jones was keen on getting back together, Page was no more than diffident, Plant had little interest, and Thompson was turning out to be the wrong choice for a drummer. Plant and Page had grown too far apart at that point, and Plant was too interested in his solo career. (Indeed, he was about to record his most commercially successful solo album.)

In the mid-90's, of course, that changed - sort of - when Plant did those two albums with Page. But I think that worked because they were both in a different place by then, and not having their project fall under the enormous weight and expectations of a thing called LED ZEPPELIN made a big difference.

hammo1j

Donor
One thing I do think needs to be clarified is that, by pretty much all accounts, it's not fair to blame Thompson's car accident for a Zeppelin reunion never happening. It was never really in the cards to begin with.
What if it was Nile Rodgers doing the production. He did a great job for Bowie around about the same time.

What if it was Nile Rodgers doing the production. He did a great job for Bowie around about the same time.

I think Plant would still be a very hard sell, and I think you still need to get the right drummer. Would that have been too early for Jason Bonham? He was 19 at the time.

In some ways it feels a bit like The Police's aborted sessions in 1986. Stewart Copeland smashed his collarbone playing polo, and couldn't play drums, which killed what little chance the band had to recreate any chemistry; but by the accounts of all three of them, Sting had no interest in a new album or tour with The Police. His solo career was off to a successful start, and they'd all grown too far apart. All they managed was a synthy new version of one of their old hits, "Don't Stand So Close to Me" for A&M to slap on a greatest hits package. It ended up being Sting's way of burying the band.

Last edited: