Land of Flatwater: Protect and Survive Middle America

The real question is there a functional air force left?Except for some surviving aircraft here and there with crews the air force is a bit depleted.Air wings stationed outside the US would be pretty much gone especially those in Europe.

" Is the CinC of USAF SAC General Bennie L Davis at this time?

Yes, General Bennie L. Davis is CINC-SAC. He is leading the command staff from E-4B NIGHTWATCH "Guardian", at this moment it is refueling at CFB Cold Lake, Alberta, which somehow wasn't hit by the Soviets.

"The real question is there a functional air force left?Except for some surviving aircraft here and there with crews the air force is a bit depleted.Air wings stationed outside the US would be pretty much gone especially those in Europe."

The U.S. Air Force, along with U.S. Naval aviation continues to function, albeit in a piecemeall fashion. But then again, most of the country circa March 1984 is pretty piecemeal right now.

HEY! Where's the update.

The updates will be coming in the next couple of weeks. I'm just holding off to give Gen_Patton some time to get The Day After moving, because a good deal of LoF plays off Duck and Cover. I want to see what direction he goes in before I keep writing again.

Land Of Flatwater isn't going away. Once I get going again, its going to come in a flood.

"This National Airbone Command Post "Guardian", calling in-flght Emergency...Any landing strip in range...PLEASE RESPOND."

"GUARDIAN this is BASE FOXTROT...Nebraska Air National Guard, we have you on a vector...following course heading 055, we have a runway clean for you.

"Nebraska, do you realize how big this plane is?"

"GUARDIAN..We know you're a heavy. Trust us farm boys....oh by the way...WHITE BREAD has a message for SLIDE RULE."

we'll be back. :)

You should first try and see what are the areas that are unlikely to survive.No point in a spin-off which ends with someone saying 'Hey,dude that region would be toast since it had all of these targets or in the general direction of deadly fallout whatever'.:D

You should first try and see what are the areas that are unlikely to survive.No point in a spin-off which ends with someone saying 'Hey,dude that region would be toast since it had all of these targets or in the general direction of deadly fallout whatever'.:D

Too right, I am doing my research right now into the targeted areas and looking at past issues in the P&SUniverse.

Land Of Flatwater: But no other country Than Finland does it without risk

Rick's Farm -- Schuyler, Nebraska -- 10:00pm Central Standard Time Monday March 5, 1984. Attack + 13 days

Radio Nebraska News at Ten O'Clock..... Due to concerns over the recent flu outbreaks, the Emergency Government has decided to delay food distribution at least for a 3-5 more days to allow time to vaccine shipments to reach key distribution points. All area authorities are asked to stay with these regulations until noted otherwise by the control points or the Emergency Government.

There is good news on the atmospheric report tonight. Most area of Nebraska are reporting significant decreases in radiation levels, however there are concerns that there may be a upspike later in the week if weather forecasts calling for snowfall prove accurate. Radio Nebraska will keep you advised of any change. We urge you to remain in protective shelter if you do not need to be outside.

"I'm glad we're doing okay for food," Rick said as he heard the radio. "It's going to be mess if they don't get more food out to the camps."

Ed nodded his head as he listened, but his mind certainly was in another place.

Rick noticed the faraway look in Ed's eye. "Ed?....Hello Ed?"

"Huh," Ed answered. "Oh, sorry man...guess I was just spaced out for a minute.."

"Everything okay?"

"I'm cool, Rick. I'm just thinking about...How much family have I lost? I wonder about my peoples in Arkansas.....I wonder about....Ralph."

(from an official account high-ranking member of the Ostrobothnian police force...) "Some days after the bombs I heard that a Border Guard unit had captured a group of foreigners, claiming to be airmen, somewhere around Kalajoki or Raahe. They said there was some wreckage, too, from something big, like a bomber. And that a high-ranking officer would have been sent to interrogate them. But after a few weeks the story disappeared,"

A police station in Raahe, Finland -- 11:00am local time Tuesday March 6, 1984.

The room was cold and dark, much like the day outside. The interrogator had come from an emergency bunker. Summoned when told that a bomber crew was picked up by provisional police two days ago. The radio traffic had clamored about them for days. The rumors that one American bomber was shot down. A bomber that dropped nuclear death on their country.

In the 1984 War, Finland was of those rare places on earth that both sides in the showdown of the superpowers hit.

Major Ralph Rochelle waited in the cell situated below the police station. With he and the members of his crew. All of them tired, stressed out and hungry.

Co-pilot Lieutenant Beau Braswell, United States Air Force. Wentzville, Missouri

Navigator Captain Norman Rittinen, United States Air Force, Albert Lea, Minnesota.

EWO 2nd Lieutenant Todd Rossman, United States Air Force. Shaker Heights, Ohio.

Gunner Tech Sargeant Xavier Apisa, United States Air Force. Hilo, Hawaii

Ralph had been to this sort of the dance before. Ducking and dodging to avoid capture as a pilot during the Vietnam conflict. But he had an idea of what to expect from the Viet Cong. There were a known enemy. But this was way beyond him. "What the hell beef did we ever have with these people. If these people aren't Russians? Hell, they don't look Russian. And I don't think the Russians would let anybody listen to that stuff this policeman's playing!"

Poliisi ajaa sinisellä autolla, uaa, sinisellä autolla
Poliisilla on pillit katolla, uaa, pillit katolla."

Between the unknown of being detained and the droning Finnish punk rock radiating through the cell block, Ralph was completely disoriented.

"Major, you awake?" 2nd Lt. Rossman said.

"I'm awake Rossie," Ralph said.

"What the hell's going on," Rossie said worriedly. Its been maybe a day or two."

"You are asking me?" Ralph answered back. "I'm not sure where we are...Any ideas, Navs"

"Sir," Captain Rittinen said. "We're somewhere in Finland. These are my people..."

"Well maybe you can put in a good word for us. I hope you speak...whatever the hell they speak..

"Actually, Sir...I can," the Captain said. "When you grow up around a lot of people from the old country...they kinda make sure you know something in the old language."

"Captain, I thought you said you were from Minnesota, " Tech Sargeant Apisa protested. "There's no Finnish people in Minnesota...is there?"

"Where do you think Scandinavia's North American Headquarters is located, huh?" the Captain shot back.

"On mukavaa ajaa sinisellä autolla, uaa, sinisellä autolla
Mukavaa pamputtaa kumisella pampulla, uaa, kumisella pampulla..

"Good Lord!" Ralph exclaimed as the infernal music started again.. "Hey Navs, maybe you could ask whoever playing this stuff if he has another song he could play!!...WHAT IN THE WORLD IS BEING SAID ON THIS STUFF ANYWAY??"

"Well sir...The song is about young people being kinda pissed off with authority...in this case, with the police."

The music stopped as the door opened...two officers in makeshift uniforms flanking someone looking a little more official. A tall man with close-cropped blonde-brown hair and blue eyes. He had a slight frown to his face. He didn't look happy. He looked like most of the other natives they have ran across.

The interrrogator pointed at Ralph. "Your name, and your unit."

"Rochelle. Ralph A. Major. 575321."

"Why were you flying over our country?"

"Rochelle. Ralph A. Major 575321."

The interrogator pointed at Beau. "You will tell me your mission or you will die."

"Braswell. Beau E. Lieutenant 184778"

The interrogator mumbled something to one of the policemen. Rittinen knew what was said.

The guards opened the cell. Two other policemen came from upstairs to join them. They were going to grab Lieutenant Rossman. Major Rochelle stood in front of him.

There was commotion among the police. The interrogator spoke sternly in his native tongue.

Rittinen scrambled to translate. "Major Rochelle, they are looking for the ranking officer. They think Rossman's the guy. They think you are covering for him.

The interrogator pointed at Rittinen.."You! Your name...now..."

"Rittinen. Norman T. Captain.. 346926"

"Rittinen?" The Interrogator queried. "You. Come with us!"

The policemen, snatched up Rittinen and took him away.

"Major??"

"Don't tell 'em a damn thing, son!"

They led the navigator through the door and upstairs. And then the music continued. At least it was a little bit different...

Vaikka Harrisburgissa täytyy ikkunat sulkea
Voi Suomessa aina huoletta kulkea
Harrisburg on jossain toisella planeetalla
Ei sellaista voi sattua
Koivun ja tähden alla

Voiko täydellisyyttä olla olemassa missään muodossa
Tottahan toki, muun muassa Olkiluodossa
Ei mikään oo niin viisas kuin insinööri
On täydellisiä
Joka nippeli ja rööri

Uraani halkeaa
Ja tuottaa lamppuun valkeaa
Mutta millään muilla mailla
Kuin Suomella se ei oo riskiä vailla..

to be continued...

Last edited:
One thing I personally noticed was that central florida doesn't get much fallout in the FEMA fallout map.
Since we have a large a mount of phosphate for fertilizer could Florida be feeding much of the country once full reconstruction starts? Oh, could someone post the link to the open thread. I can't seem to find it.

One thing I personally noticed was that central florida doesn't get much fallout in the FEMA fallout map.
Since we have a large a mount of phosphate for fertilizer could Florida be feeding much of the country once full reconstruction starts? Oh, could someone post the link to the open thread. I can't seem to find it.
I think Florida might get heavily hit. Central Florida especially. There's a lot of defense plants around Orlando, along with several old bases that are now Orlando International and Orlando Sanford.

Good mini-update.

Waiting for more.

Hope you win a Turtledove.

My guess for the bomber crew: Either they are executed or (more likely) just handed over to the Swedes secretly, especially since one of them came from Finland originally.

It all depends on whether they figure out who bombed them.As long as they don't realise the US also hit the country they might be released eventually if they do figure it out no way would they release them.

I think Florida might get heavily hit. Central Florida especially. There's a lot of defense plants around Orlando, along with several old bases that are now Orlando International and Orlando Sanford.

Florida would be heavily hit as there are many military installations throughout the state. Pensacola, Jacksonville, Orlando, Miami (Homestead), Key West, Tampa are the ones that come to me off the top of my head as purely military targets. Additional targets would probably include civilian port facilities and airfields.

1. Concerning Florida: I would expect it to be hit with a certain ferocity as it should be regarded as the main staging area for an invasion of Cuba.

2. On the rareness of places being hit by both sides - I would expect them to be potentially more common. Any neutral or near-neutral risks this fate. Germany is a puzzle since the Red Army has turned a good deal of the FRG into NATO-targets while they Sovjets might still hit the very same areas. Other places which come to mind likewise: Austria, Yugoslavia, Albania, perhaps even Romania.

3. It is a bit late now, but I think the fact that Nebraska's Governeur directly and with well-chosen words addressed the young people of his state is a sign of wisdom rarely seen in a politician; but in such a situation, it is most important to appeal to everybody.

Concerning both sides hitting we can assume Yugoslavia was not hit by the soviets since they joined the war on their side.Any nuclear strike plans on them would be cancelled.On the other hand NATO would hit the country with far greater interest since they officially joined the war on the soviet side.Romania on the other hand would be probably the only Warsaw Pact country to receive strikes from the Soviet Union since they wanted to stay neutral as for the US it would also hit it but probably limited to the capital only.West Germany would surely be nuked by both with tactical weapons.One factor to take into account is that nuclear strike plans don't exist in the sense that they remain the same over the decades.They are constantly updated with the latest data.So in a real crisis planners would plan strikes based on the latest evolutions in the international stage.Austria on the other hand would be hit by both although NATO strikes would be limited to front line soviet forces while the soviets would nuke targets in the country itself.Albania is a bit of a wild card since at this time they where the most isolated country in Europe.While NATO would probably hit it regardless as a communist country the Soviet Union might refrain for lack of interest.Even NATO might have trouble justifying an attack on it.Iran likely received hits from 3 sides probably the only country in the world to have such a distinction.The US,Israel and the soviets since islamic fundamentalists there would be feared by all in a post war environment.