Land of Flatwater: Protect and Survive Middle America

bookmark95

Banned
I just discovered this TL, and I found it to be fantastic! You have a lot of optimism, in spite of all the nuclear terror. I think the missile missing Lincoln is an example of that hope: how weapons and war can never truly destroy the institutions we value. For anybody who finds it unrealistic, I say, go cry somewhere else, optimism is good.

President Elizabeth Dole? That is something. When are new elections going to be scheduled? I think the prime ticket should be Kerrey/Treen. Just an idea

I got to ask... how did Connecticut come out? I know Groton is probably a smoldering ruin, but what about the rest of the state?

CT? I don't think so...

Sad to say, I don't think many people in CT would survive, given both the number of probable sites (I would think both Hartford and New Haven would also be nuked, at a minimum) and radiation coming from the entire rest of the US, especially the NYC area and so many probable sites in MA and upstate NY. Maybe some small pockets in Litchfield County, but not much else.

bookmark95

Banned
RIP CT

Sad to say, I don't think many people in CT would survive, given both the number of probable sites (I would think both Hartford and New Haven would also be nuked, at a minimum) and radiation coming from the entire rest of the US, especially the NYC area and so many probable sites in MA and upstate NY. Maybe some small pockets in Litchfield County, but not much else.

:( Maybe a new Nutmeg State will rise from the ashes.

I know its an ancient bump (over one year!), but given Bob Kerrey's central organizing role in Land of Flatwater, I thought people might be interested in this new Op-Ed. It's from today's New York Times, entitled, "Bob Kerrey and the 'American Tragedy' of Vietnam," in honor of his appointment as president of Fulbright University - Vietnam. It is an interesting read!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/20/opinion/bob-kerrey-and-the-american-tragedy-of-vietnam.html

Archibald

Banned
So we're at war and the count-down to the strategic exchange has begun.

The SAC airborne command post, LOOKING GLASS, was an EC-135C, not the E-4 NEACP plane. It's call sign was NIGHTWATCH.

I like the map. I wish I had that sort of skill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-4

I have some questions about the E-4B. Let's suppose nukes rain all over america and probably all over the world. Boatloads of MIRVs are falling from space to explodes in enormous mushroom clouds that probably towers 50 000 ft or higher, far above the 747 ceiling.

Castle Bravo
When Bravo was detonated, it formed a fireball almost 4.5 miles (7.2 km) across within a second.
The explosion left a crater 6,500 feet (2,000 m) in diameter and 250 feet (76 m) in depth. The mushroom cloud reached a height of 47,000 feet (14,000 m) and a diameter of 7 miles (11 km) in about a minute, a height of 130,000 feet (40 km) and 62 mi (100 km) in diameter in less than 10 minutes and was expanding at more than 100 meters per second (360 km/h; 220 mph).

I wonder, how can a E-4B survives that ? I do know it is armored against EMP.
But imagine being the pilot: you have to fly the aircraft amid nuclear explosions and mushroom clouds popping everywhere.

Maybe the plane could orbit over some remote corner of the Pacific ?

Last edited:
The E-4B would just have to take its chance. There would be more than one airborne and AFAIK they would orbit over the ocean.
I'm guessing SAC had considered the problem of surviving amongst multiple initiations.

I think 25% failure is probably not that unrealistic. Besides mechanical failures or bomb failures, there's also the possibility of human failures. I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least a 5% probability of a given missile crew failing to get the nukes launched, for whatever reason. Didn't RAND or someone do some studies estimating the probability that various soldiers would execute their orders to fire?
In the movie War Games. I