Also, i've never looked at a portrait of his majesty before the update, but he looks exactly how i expected someone that finessed a kingdom would look like, down to the tiny stache.

Reading more on the older relationship between Genoa and Corsica I wonder whether it could have been possible to integrate the island more and avoid the revolution outright instead of adopting pseudo-colonial methods.

Absolutely. "Corsican democracy" started as a pro-Genoese movement against the native feudal lords, who were generally pro-Aragonese. A more competent or simply a more hands-off administration which preserved that goodwill could have completely changed the course of Corsican history. The real problem, though, was simply that the Genoese system was always closed, even to most of their own upper classes. Corsicans were always treated as colonial subjects, whose judges, administrators, and bishops were always Genoese transplants. The most the Republic ever did to involve Corsicans in their own affairs was to maintain the advisory dodici, but this proved insufficient. Ultimately, it didn't even keep the notabili in line.

12, 18 and now 24. Why even numbers?

Those numbers are OTL, and I don't know what their tie-breaking procedure was. The reason there were 12 original dodici, however, was apparently because each one was responsible for one month of the year. To what extent they actually voted on things as a corporate body is something I don't know (the later Genoese-controlled dodici elected an orator, but I don't know when this office first came into being). Enlarging the council to 18 presumably screwed up the monthly rotation, although the rotation system may have been dead by that point anyway; certainly I haven't read of the system being in effect in the 18th century, when the dodici was entirely advisory.

I am not aware of the reason for having 24 members of the Theodoran Diet except that it is divisible by 3 (reflecting the 2:1 Diqua to Dila ratio already evident in the dodici of 18). There was no monthly rotation for the Diet, although there was a requirement that three members (two from the Diqua and one from the Dila) attend the king at all times, which may have been managed in a rotational system of some kind.

Also, i've never looked at a portrait of his majesty before the update, but he looks exactly how i expected someone that finessed a kingdom would look like, down to the tiny stache.

You may have missed it earlier in the thread, but I made a imgur album of contemporary Theodore portraits. He is shown both with and without the mustache; I'm not really sure when (and if) he grew it.

You may have missed it earlier in the thread, but I made a imgur album of contemporary Theodore portraits. He is shown both with and without the mustache; I'm not really sure when (and if) he grew it.
He looks as slick as a catfish covered in soap in most of them.
Not sure if that word convenes the meaning i want...
More like a middle ground between slick and sleazy.
The kind of guy that has the gall to claim a crown the way he did.

Md139115

Banned
He looks as slick as a catfish covered in soap in most of them.
Not sure if that word convenes the meaning i want...
More like a middle ground between slick and sleazy.
The kind of guy that has the gall to claim a crown the way he did.

Possibly.

I think it interesting that though all the portraits look different, they all display prominent traits that presumably the real Theodore must have had. Apparently, he must have had an oblong face, a large nose, and some very high cheekbones.

Carp has edited the most recent update, presumably putting a paragraph about the ex-Duchess of Guastalla in place of references to Genoa. All those subsequent messages about Genoa now look like spoilers!
Meanwhile, about the ex-Duchess... Carp, did you feel that she would need to have lost her titles and land in Italy before countenancing the King's proposal?

Carp has edited the most recent update, presumably putting a paragraph about the ex-Duchess of Guastalla in place of references to Genoa. All those subsequent messages about Genoa now look like spoilers!
Meanwhile, about the ex-Duchess... Carp, did you feel that she would need to have lost her titles and land in Italy before countenancing the King's proposal?

He hasn't.

The sentence we were talking about is still there.

"Soon after returning to Corti, he had dispatched Don Federico, Principe di Capraia to travel to Vienna, ostensibly for discussions regarding the crisis in Genoa where a popular uprising had shaken the city and would soon wrest control from the oligarchic government."

Would Theodore's Corsica attempt to get in on the Colony racket? Having an overseas possession is a bit of a prestige 'I'm a real player in the game' deal, apart from whatever other benefits it may or may not bring.

Last edited:
Would Theodore's Corsica attempt to get in on the Colony racket? Having an overseas possession is a bit of a prestige 'I'm a real player in the game' deal, apart from whatever other benefits it may or may not bring.
Clearly they must have all the islands. This includes the islands outside of the Mediterranean. Technically of course continents are also islands...
TLDR Corsican World Conquest when?

IDK I think Hawaii is still up in the air at the moment with the Portuguese not sure if they have discovered it or not.

Speaking of colonies, though perhaps ones of a different sort....

It seems to me that if Corsica is going to retain it's independence, it's going to need to adopt a policy of formally established international neutrality unless it becomes essentially a French satellite state. I could see this state of affairs occuring after TTL's Seven Years War if the Corsicans play their cards right, though perhaps it occurs later in the early 19th century. A Corsica which has it's neutrality internationally recognized before Switzerland, plus it's policies of Jewish Emancipation, plus it's strategic location in the Mediterranean might lead to it becoming a major financial services hub in TTL.

Shady businessmen stashing their ill-gotten gains in "Corsican Bank Accounts"? TTL's version of the League of Nations being headquartered in Ajaccio? Think of the fun Conspiracy theorists would have in TTL!

Last edited:
Perhaps looking at Cyprus as an analog for shady Bank business and selling citizenship to anyone inline with Theodore's open immigration policy

Shady businessmen stashing their ill-gotten gains in "Corsican Bank Accounts"? TTL's version of the League of Nations being headquartered in Ajaccio? Think of the fun Conspiracy theorists would have in TTL!

And what about legalized gambling?

Corsica could wind up Monaco and Switzerland smooshed together on one island.

I know but usually Carp releases more often, so I’m wondering.
Because Carp just finished part/book 1 of the timeline. He’s got to do research, devise the story and figure out butterflies. Also the guy could just have work to do.

Be patient