King Bill: The Third Term of William Jefferson Clinton

I take it Witmen's the moderate Republican?
LOL on the intern taping the call between her a Lott, I'd love to hear what that would've sounded like if it was real.

This is brilliant, the GOP primaries are more gripping than anything we've had in real life for years. Still everything to play for, and even if Clinton is going to win in 2000, Whitman is right when she says that the nominee here will dictate who gets nominated in 2004, and thus the shape of the GOP beyond that.

“Polls have me ahead in Arkansas. With Arkansas, New Jersey, and New Mexico under my belt I could win this thing. Imagine a woman as the GOP Nominee!” –The Diary of Christine Todd Whitman: May 18, 2000

May 23rd Contests:
Arkansas: Whitman (+24 delegates)
Idaho: Lott (+28 delegates)

Kansas Republican Convention: May 25, 2000
Trent Lott … 65%

Christine Todd Whitman … 33%
Alan Keyes … 2%

June 6th Contests:
Alabama: Lott (+44 delegates)
Montana: Lott (+23 delegates)
New Jersey: Whitman (+54 delegates)
New Mexico: Whitman (+13 delegates, +8 for Lott)
South Dakota: Lott (+18 delegates, +4 for Whitman)

Republican Delegate Count | June 6, 2000
Trent Lott … 1,078 delegates

Christine Todd Whitman … 979 delegates
Alan Keyes … 5 delegates

“Tonight we lost, but we have succeeded in proving that the Republican Party can continue to make progress. We have proved that we will be the ones to move the United States in to the 21st Century. To defeat Bill Clinton however we must unite the Republican Party, I understand that and I am sure that Senator Lott understands that. Until further notice I will be taking this campaign to the convention to push through a statement a statement that we must be willing to accept moderates and Independents with open arms. Believe me: we can do it!” –Excerpt from Christine Todd Whitman’s Concession Speech: June 7, 2000

“Whitman eventually withdrew from the race on June 21, 2000, but the party still remained heavily divided. Lott’s numbers sunk as moderates who said they would vote for Whitman in the general election left the party to vote for Clinton. As a result Lott did something he had told his inner-circle he would never do: nominate a moderate. Lott nominated Tom Ridge as his Vice Presidential Candidate on July 17th in an attempt to save his support from continuing to diminish. On July 31st the Republican National Convention officially opened.” –Excerpt from The Turn of the Century by Dick Morris

Christine Todd Whitman Addresses the Republican Convention: July 31, 2000
Whitman.png

“…We must unite as a party. If we do not act now we’re going to hand the White House to Bill Clinton for another four years! Is that what we want? A President who raises taxes, ignores the concerns of ordinary Americans, and attempts to be coroneted as a king? NO! It’s time to say no to King Bill and yes to change! President Clinton has been given too many opportunities! Too many chances! We cannot give up, my friends, we have to work together, be stronger, and prove to the American people that we deserve a President committed to forming a better America. With your help and your support Trent Lott and Tom Ridge will make that possible!”

Lynne Cheney’s Keynote Address to the Republican Convention: August 1, 2000
Corbis-0000369112-010.jpg

“…It’s up to our party to move America in the right direction. We have been placed with an extraordinary amount of responsibility. The American People will be faced with a choice on whether or not to reelect Bill Clinton. It is up to our party to put forth the best ticket possible to say ‘NO!’ And we have done that. During his time in the U.S. Senate Trent Lott has represented what’s best about our nation. He’s been a vigorous defender of the people of Mississippi and has consistently worked to move this nation in the right direction even when all the Democrats were standing in his way. He’s been an incredible leader and has shown the state of Mississippi that they have much to be proud of. Tom Ridge has worked diligently for the people of Pennsylvania as Governor and since 1995 he has been the leader the people of Pennsylvania deserve. It is my hope, and the hope of this party, that they will go to Washington and serve the American people with grace and honor…”

Tom Ridge’s Acceptance Address to the Republican Convention: August 2, 2000
Corbis-42-29936221.jpg

“Thank you. Thank you. What an honor it is to stand here before all of you as this party nominates our Presidential Ticket. I am proud to accept your nomination for Vice President of the United States. And I am even prouder to run with a man like Trent Lott as we work together to move America in the right direction. I know that our nation can move forward and make progress, but I also know that with Bill Clinton that will not be possible. I’m sure that I’ve just confused many Independents and alienated many Democrats but allow me to explain. What Bill Clinton has done is trick the American people. It looks like we’re making extraordinary progress, doesn’t it? It looks like things couldn’t be better, doesn’t it? The truth is the ‘progress’ from the Clinton Administration has only been made possible through tax increases and irresponsibility. He’s ignored vital issues like Homeland Security and Education. I don’t know about you but those are some of my biggest priorities! We cannot elect a President so unqualified to serve and that is why I am asking for you to back the Republican ticket this year…”

Trent Lott’s Acceptance Address to the Republican Convention: August 3, 2000
Corbis-NF118093.jpg

“…I want to thank you for this nomination which I humbly accept. Your message has been sent loud and clear! You do not want a President who will ignore issues like Homeland Security any longer. You want a President ready to lead, ready to reinvigorate America! My fellow Republicans: I am proud to be blessed with your nomination and I promise not to let you down. There is so much that we can accomplish together, but we only have so long to do it. That is why I am asking all of you to get out there and talk to your neighbors, put up a lawn sign, call your friends, and slap on a bumper sticker! If we’re going to defeat Bill Clinton we have to do exactly what Governor Whitman said on Opening Day, we have to unite. We cannot win against a united party if ours is divided…

…Do not lose hope, do not give up. The experts and political talking heads in 1980 said that Ronald Reagan could not win, that he was too conservative and you know what? They’ve been saying the same thing about me. I know that if we don’t lose sight of our ultimate goal we will be just as successful and we will prove the political establishment wrong again. We can defeat Bill Clinton but we must make an honest effort to do that…”

“Lott closed the gap between him and Clinton in the aftermath of the Republican Convention and all eyes shifted to see who Clinton would replace Gore with. The event was held in the Rose Garden on August 13th. Clinton walked out and gave a lengthy introduction of his nominee though many still weren’t entirely sure who was being nominated. Then Clinton concluded with a few words that set in motion a few words that forever changed America, ‘Please welcome the next Vice President of the United States: Senator Christopher Dodd of the great state of Connecticut!’ The choice was a complete surprise to most in the media and the nation. Dodd’s speech was pretty short and ended with a promise to the American people that he would not let them down. The next day was the beginning of the Democratic National Convention and from then on it was a race to the General Election.” –Excerpt from The Turn of the Century by Dick Morris

If the election were held today who would you vote for in the race for President?
Trent Lott: 45%

Bill Clinton: 45%
Ralph Nader: 2%
Pat Buchanan: 2%
Undecided: 6%

Hillary Rodham Clinton Addresses the Democratic Convention: August 14, 2000
Corbis-JS1262090.jpg

“Good evening. My fellow Americans it is an honor to stand before you this evening addressing all of you. Of course I will return on the fourth night to speak to you about my husband, but the truth is I am going to use this opportunity to talk about the future of our nation. The nation that Bill envisioned in 1992 when he first ran for President. For many of our nation’s children Bill has been the only President they’ve experienced and that means that they’ll be growing up in a country with a stronger economic footing and more opportunities for educational success. It means that those children will grow up in a fairer, more equal society. It means that by the time those children become the lawyers, doctors, and teachers of the world they’ll be living in a debt-free America. Unless the American people change their minds about all of that progress. Unless you vote for the party that made those changes possible those children may not see a better America…”

Caroline Kennedy’s Keynote Address at the Democratic Convention: August 15, 2000
Corbis-DWF15-446725.jpg

“…In 1992 the torch was passed to William Jefferson Clinton, a down-to-earth Governor from the state of Arkansas. He was facing a powerful incumbent and the odds – well they were stacked against him. Luckily for us he didn’t give up and he sure as hell persevered. In the end the Democrats were victorious on Election Night 1992 and four years later Bill Clinton was reelected in a landslide because the American people trusted his judgment and ability to lead. Today we sit here with more people employed than before. We’re witnessing the largest economic boom in history and it’s time that we take advantage of that. President Clinton has worked so hard and what have the Republicans done? They said they wanted ‘no credit for the Clinton Economy’ so I say we take them at their word. They said that they wanted nothing to do with helping President Clinton and I say we thank them for staying out of the way and letting President Clinton steer our nation into the right direction. Now however they’re coming close – to close – to stealing the torch from us. They’ve positioned their nominee farther right than most and he’s prepared to win so that means we need to step up our game, my friends. It means we have to get out there and guarantee President Clinton a third term!...”

Chris Dodd’s Acceptance Address at the Democratic Convention: August 16, 2000
dodd,%20chris,%204-13-10.jpg

“…This is a marathon, my friends, and we haven’t even reached the last ten miles yet. In fact, this is the half-way point. There’s a lot of race ahead of us and we cannot give up now and let those far-right, government-hating conservatives move our nation in the wrong direction. Do not give up! We have to persevere, just like Bill Clinton did in 1992 when all odds were stacked against him. The experts said no one could defeat George Bush, but we sure did and it was by a pretty comfortable margin. The week before last we witnessed the Republican Convention and what a party it was, but notably missing was the common sense and the ideas. They talked a good game, my friends, the Republicans always do, but they failed to tell the American people what they planned on doing and how they planned on doing it. You know what we’re going to do, my friends. Bill Clinton and I are going to pass serious education reform and work to make the United States an even greater nation. We’ll increase the standards of our public schools and who knows; maybe we’ll even succeed in passing Social Security Reform! One thing’s for sure, unless we win this election the United States of America is going to drift in the wrong direction…”

Bill Clinton’s Acceptance Address at the Democratic Convention: August 17, 2000
Corbis-JS1262099.jpg

“…We’ve accomplished so, so much in the last eight years. We’ve seen unprecedented economic growth and expansion. We’ve seen the first balanced budget in recent memory. I know that we have yet to reach our full potential and so that will be what the next four years of our journey will be spent on: helping America reach our full potential. We’re going to focus on creating even more jobs, cutting even more spending, reforming even more government, and strengthening even more public schools. We can never stop thinking about tomorrow because the second we do we’re going to get ourselves into trouble. If we don’t think about the future we’ll leave a mess so large for our children and grandchildren that it will take generations to get out of. You’ve heard a lot of people speak about how ‘I’ got the nation out of a tailspin. In reality it was every single one of us. We all worked a little bit harder, we all put forth that much more effort and we did it! Don’t let the politics get in the way of the American dream and the American resolve. Thank you all so much and God bless the United States of America!”

August 20, 2000: If the election were held today who would you vote for in the race for President?
Bill Clinton: 47%

Trent Lott: 45%
Pat Buchanan: 2%
Ralph Nader: 1%
Undecided: 5%

First off, great TL! Second, I'm wondering myself about the logic of Chris Dodd.

Well I agree it's a surprising pick here was Clinton's reasoning:

Dodd isn't really the most ambitious guy out there and if he's healthy enough and his popularity's still good he might want to take a fourth term. What Clinton doesn't need is another Gore. Furthermore Dodd is willing to be an attack dog and go after the GOP, especially the conservative Lott

“The remainder of August was spent touring the nation and establishing the ground game for September and October. Both Clinton and Lott began the tasks of building their support for the general election. Clinton tried very hard not to emphasize that he was running for a third term, instead he referred to his bid as a ‘continuation of the progress’ while Lott said point-blank ‘Don’t make Bill president.’ In fact, by the end of August ‘King Bill’ had become the name for the President.” –Excerpt from The Turn of the Century by Dick Morris

“My health is continuing to deteriorate and I’m going to have to take two weeks off of the campaign trail, Hillary will be touring the nation for me and I’ll be at home in bed confined to the East Wing of the White House. In fact they won’t even let me down to the Oval Office.” --The Diary of William Jefferson Clinton: September 4, 2000

Corbis-ZIB70001302.jpghttp:

“I keep telling Bill to press more action on killing bin Laden but since our split we’ve hardly been able to work together. Osama bin Laden is a dangerous criminal and I am not prepared, not at all, to risk American lives on Bill’s political future. He’s worried that a large and ultimately unsuccessful attempt would hurt him in November. He told me that he’ll worry about it after the election, but I won’t be here after the election to make sure that he does it – and what the fuck is Dodd going to do? Talk about a guy in for the ride!” --The Diary of Al Gore: September 11, 2000

“Just got off the phone with Tom, apparently he’s enjoying the vice presidential campaign. I’m glad that I helped make it possible for him. Everyone said the Republicans would never nominate a pro-life vice presidential candidate, we almost nominated a Presidential Candidate and we nominated a Vice Presidential candidate this year! Tom said he didn’t want to carry the torch in to 2004 and George told me he didn’t really want to run either so I guess I’ll be a candidate again in 2004. I’m already laying the ground work by visiting Iowa and New Hampshire. I’ll also be touring Florida and Ohio for Lott. It looks like Clinton will cruise to victory but in four years – in four years it’ll be time for a center-right Republican.” –The Diary of Christine Todd Whitman: September 14, 2000

“September was an odd month in the presidential campaign. Usually there’s something significant to report but in 2000 there was nothing. The candidates pressed on and Chris Dodd rapidly increased the number of campaign events on his schedule. He was touring the nation and was an active member of the campaign. Meanwhile Clinton’s health problems began to sweep the rumor mill nationwide and his absence from the trail for much of September did nothing but fuel speculation. If there was a ‘September’ or ‘October’ surprise in 2000 it was his health issues. In late-September one of Clinton’s former doctors went on CNN and basically said he wasn’t sure Clinton could live for his entire third term. It was hard to believe as many voters remembered voting for the young, vibrant Clinton in 1992, but the sad reality was that Clinton’s health was rapidly deteriorating and it wouldn’t be long until his life met its end.” –Excerpt from The Turn of the Century by Dick Morris

September 20, 2000: If the election were held today who would you vote for in the race for President?
Bill Clinton: 49%

Trent Lott: 47%
Pat Buchanan: 1%
Undecided: 3%

“My senate campaign was all but over by September. I had increased my lead to 14% and I was sure I could succeed. The thought of Caroline Kennedy succeeding her uncle Robert was something many New Yorkers – especially the Democrats – were very, very excited for. I don’t doubt the importance of campaigning and I’m not going to slack off, not one bit, but I’m very confident about our chances in the Senate race.” –The Diary of Caroline Kennedy: September 29, 2000

the_clinton_wars-293x307.jpg

Presidential Debate: October 3, 2000
CLINTON: Our nation has made undeniable progress over the last four years. What’s interesting is the fact that Republicans insisted they wanted none of the credit for the “Clinton Economy” but now that it’s doing well – now that we’ve balanced the budget, now that we’ve reformed spending – well the Republicans, they want all the credit. They throw these made up numbers out there that were poll-tested by conservative think-tanks and they hope they can convince you that’s what they accomplished. Make no mistake; my friends Senate Republicans – like my opponent Senator Lott – did nothing but stand in the way of this economic prosperity.
LOTT: Mr. President do not mislead the American public. What’s interesting to note is that the progress in our economy didn’t occur until after 1994 – when Republicans took control of Congress. CLINTON: Well…
LOTT: …Mr. President, please. The changes in our economy didn’t happen until after Republicans took the congressional majorities. Furthermore we had to send the Welfare Reform Bill to President Clinton countless times before he finally passed it – his own welfare reform bill. I don’t know if you remember but I do. I remember sitting at home in 1992 and watching tv when a Bill Clinton for President TV ad came on the screen where he said, “Welfare should be a second chance, not a way of life.” While I agree it’s shocking that the President lied to the people and has yet to come clean. He’s misleading the American public and it’s shocking.

“Lott caught me off guard tonight – he did very well. Americans aren’t buying in to the whole ‘best economy in centuries’ argument like I expected. This campaign is getting too close for my liking. Furthermore my doctors have assured me that if I campaign in October I won’t make it to the end of my third term. It’s hard to imagine that my health has deteriorated this much, but I’m willing to take October off and move forward from there. Carville and the others still think I can pull of a win. I wish Dick Morris was still around, I need him now more than ever but rumor has it he’s helping the Lott Campaign.” –The Diary of William Jefferson Clinton: October 4, 2000

October 8, 2000: If the election were held today who would you vote for in the race for President?
Trent Lott: 50%

Bill Clinton: 48.5%
Pat Buchanan: 0.5%
Undecided: 3%

I can't wait for Christine Todd Whitman to win in 2004. She will be able to keep the GOP from veering off the extreme wing cliff that they have recently fallen off of.

It seems that Clinton may not survive a 3rd term, so perhaps we will have a President Christopher Dodd.

If Clinton does die mid 3rd term, Dodd could use that to aid in the passage of reform bills relating to SS and Medicare.

It also seems Caroline Kennedy might have a path toward higher office.

So far, I'm enjoying the TL, keep up the good work.

Wishing you well, his majesty,
The Scandinavian Emperor

It would be hilarious if Bill's third term actually begins in 2005 after he defeats President Lott!

A great update, it seems Whitman will be the first female POTUS come 2005, although did you mean 'pro-choice' when you said 'they said we'd never nominate a pro-life VP' in her diaries?

Thank you for taking into account my points on Bill's health

He is going to have to address it; a full physical and EKG is going to show he needs bypass surgery especially if he is going to try and run a full schedule (he has to lose weight too, something he proved totally unable to do in the white house)

Best bet for him is to come out and admit that like many men his age, he has made one too many trips through the wendy's drive through lane and it's caught up with him, and that following his reelection he will require a bypass surgery followed by a few weeks of rest and a new lifestyle that involves eating healthier, better sleeping habits and a lower pace travel schedule; he needs to phrase it very carefully as I need to slow down for a couple months which I will do during the congressional lame duck period when the president typically doesn't have as much work to do, and that he intends to be on his feet by the inauguration and ready to resume a somewhat lower paced work schedule in January

That said, Bill's worst enemy in this regard is Bill himself... the last 8 weeks of the campaign, particularly since it's close will be absolutely brutal on his heart (since he will have to travel and work a ton) and he could easily keel over at a campaign event somewhere (if he's lucky with angina or a mild heart attack, or if he's unlucky drop dead whilst kissing someone's baby)

“On October 11th Trent Lott was holding his fourth satellite interview and he, reportedly, believed the camera to be off as he said to the reporter, “Yea, Trisha, which SOB Clinton is going down.’ The statement was a disaster as the Senator’s mic was still hot. While Clinton never formally commented on the allegations Lott dug his own hole deeper when, on October 14th, Lott said he was simply trying to get the reporter to laugh, unfortunately no one bought the excuse. By October 25th the scandal had been replaced by a multitude of other issues that overlapped Lott’s gaffe but Lott’s numbers were hurt by the slip-up. By the end of it all Election Night had arrived and it was time to see who Americans had elected as the next President of the United States. Would Clinton be the first President in modern history to secure a third term?”–Excerpt from The Turn of the Century by Dick Morris

KingBill2000.png

2000 Presidential Election Results
Bill Clinton: 50.4% (327 electoral votes)

Trent Lott: 47.9% (211 electoral votes)
Ralph Nader: 1.3%
Pat Buchanan: 0.2%
Other: 0.2%

“Clinton immediately got to work by appointing a cabinet. He replaced Albright at State with Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts, who was confirmed. Janet Reno would stay on as U.S. Attorney General while Clinton announced that William Cohen would be retiring as U.S. Secretary of Defense and would be replaced by Leon Panetta, former White House Chief of Staff. Though Panetta faced a tough confirmation battle he was eventually confirmed to the position. With a new cabinet in place, Clinton was ready to take office on January 20, 2001 for the third time. His health had greatly diminished and he would spend his first months of his third term recovering from a grueling campaign. Meanwhile Vice President Dodd would appear to be the public face of the Administration.”–Excerpt from The Turn of the Century by Dick Morris

“Tomorrow is the inauguration of Bill Clinton – for the third time. It will, however, be the first time I’m not next to him while he does it. I voted for Nader, probably a waste of my vote, but if you give all the Nader votes in Tennessee to Clinton he would’ve carried the state, so who knows? Anyways I’ll be at the Inauguration tomorrow and Dodd has asked me to stand behind his wife while he is sworn-in – I accepted the invite. Tomorrow will be a rough day for me, returning to Tennessee with no job. Tipper wants me to run for Governor in 2002 and I think I will – it could be a great way to get me back into politics. I’ll probably announce December of this year so I have enough time to get my campaign in order.” –The Diary of Al Gore: January 19, 2001.

“Damn it. I lost and tomorrow I’ll be sitting on the podium of the Capitol watching Bill fucking Clinton take the oath of office. I should be standing there. I should’ve been the person with my hand on the bible tomorrow, but no. All because I slipped up? Fuck it! I can run again in 2004 and I can win. Who’s going to go against me? Whitman? Beat her once, I can do it again. Bush? Jeb couldn’t get past me just like his brother. Powell? The son of a bitch better stay away from our party. I need to defend the Republican Party and our values and I know I can and I know I will.” –The Diary of Trent Lott: January 19, 2001.

The Inauguration of William Jefferson Clinton: January 20, 2001
Corbis-42-29604055.jpg

“Presidents Bush, Reagan, Carter, and Ford, Vice President Dodd, Mr. Chief Justice, Fellow Americans: Thank you for the honor I have been entrusted with by serving another four years as your President. I will be forever humbled by the experiences you’ve blessed me with. Every four years our country votes on who our next President should be. Every four years the balance of power is shifted. It is the greatest thing about our democracy, the peaceful transition of government and I look forward to witnessing even more inaugurations in the future…”

“…What we shouldn’t lose sight of is our drive and our determination. This is the first inauguration of the new century and let us observe and reflect the challenges and struggles our nation faced in the 20th Century. We overcame two world wars, a great depression, numerous economic recessions, a civil rights uprising, and in more than one instance we faced the threat of nuclear war. We are still the United States, we are still strong, and we will still prosper – of this I am sure…”

“…And so my fellow Americans: ask yourself if you want to be a part of making the 21st Century the greatest our nation has seen. This is a new chapter in American history and we should – and we will – welcome it with open arms. Thank you and God bless America.”

“President Clinton will be undergoing a simple bypass surgery later tonight. Before he arrives at the hospital the presidency will be handed over to Vice President Dodd (as permitted through the 25th Amendment). As soon as the President is out of surgery he will return to his duties as President by signing a second letter. We do not expect any complications from the surgery and the American people should rest assured that President Clinton will be back in the swing of things by the end of the week.” –White House Press Statement: February 7, 2001

“President Clinton has reassumed his duties as President and will remain at the hospital for the next day or so recovering from surgery. The American people need not worry about his health as the President will most certainly benefit from the rest and return to the White House ready to address the issues at stake. In the meantime he will be in constant contact with the White House Chief of Staff, Vice President Dodd, and others to make sure urgent matters are attended to.” –White House Press Statement: February 8, 2001

“Osama bin Laden remains a major threat. We believe we have pinpointed his location in Afghanistan and will be making an attempt to take him out. If this fails I don’t know what we’ll do, but there’s intelligence to suggest he’s planning something major but we’re simply unable to figure out what the fuck he’s up to. Other than that I really have no priorities for the first year in office. Dodd seems to be fitting into his job fine so I’m not really worried about it.” –The Diary of William Jefferson Clinton: February 22, 2001

March 10, 2001: Do you approve or disapprove of President Clinton’s job performance?
Approve: 61%

Disapprove: 26%
Undecided: 13%

“The attempt to take out Bin Laden failed and we ended killing two innocent men. Fortunately we have a pretty tight wrap on the story so I don’t think it’ll be a problem. As we move forward though we’re going to need to address the issue of Bin Laden, I have a bad feeling about what he’ll do.” –The Diary of William Jefferson Clinton: March 17, 2001

nitpicks:

1. Clinton didn't get 50 percent in 92 or 96 (in 96 he a strong economy, weak opponent and no monica yet and still didn't get to 50)... if Lott sucks so much Nader would do better, Clinton between Nafta, wellfare reform and tax reform had sold out progressives so that they are either staying home or voting nader... for clinton to get 50 turnout has to have been absolutely bottom
2. Clinton winning florida post elian gonzalez scandal is super unlikely
3. Clinton winning his home state following the monica scandal against a mississipian is also unlikely
4. Janet Reno wouldn't stay on and wouldn't be asked, justice had been a continued source of embarrassment for the clinton administration

He didn't need a simple bypass, he need a very risky, complicated, quadrouple bypass which kept him off the campaign trail for weeks, there is no way he doesn't have to explain his health prior to the election

Lott is derailed by an open mic comment.... really? Clinton has porked an intern on the resolute desk and rented the lincoln bedroom out like a motel 6 and people are not going to vote for Lott over and open mic moment...me thinks the POD is too weak to hold water

nitpicks:

1. Clinton didn't get 50 percent in 92 or 96 (in 96 he a strong economy, weak opponent and no monica yet and still didn't get to 50)... if Lott sucks so much Nader would do better, Clinton between Nafta, wellfare reform and tax reform had sold out progressives so that they are either staying home or voting nader... for clinton to get 50 turnout has to have been absolutely bottom
2. Clinton winning florida post elian gonzalez scandal is super unlikely
3. Clinton winning his home state following the monica scandal against a mississipian is also unlikely

1. 'Cuz there were three major candidates: Clinton, (Bush/Dole), and Perot. Lott supporters aren't voting for Nader...
2. Not completely.
3. Arkansas was close but I'm convinced Clinton would still manage to carry it.

As for your concerns about the open mic comment: a guy calling his opponent an SOB makes him look extremely unprofessional, clinton's approval ratings shot up after the monica scandal because voters don't vote based on people's personal lives. look at gingrich -- he went on to win South Carolina after his ex-wife came out and talked about his affairs.

1. 'Cuz there were three major candidates: Clinton, (Bush/Dole), and Perot. Lott supporters aren't voting for Nader...
2. Not completely.
3. Arkansas was close but I'm convinced Clinton would still manage to carry it.

As for your concerns about the open mic comment: a guy calling his opponent an SOB makes him look extremely unprofessional, clinton's approval ratings shot up after the monica scandal because voters don't vote based on people's personal lives. look at gingrich -- he went on to win South Carolina after his ex-wife came out and talked about his affairs.

Nader got 2.75 percent in 2000 when Gore ran who was more acceptable to the base... Lott people wouldn't vote for Nader, but they would stay home increasing his percentage

super unlikely for him to win... the Elian thing did not sit well with a number of influential people there, plus his antics will not play well in the northern more bible beltish part of the state

Him holding AR is unlikely given his behavior... he can lose FL and AR and still win anyway; my critique is on plausibility

W called an NY times reporter a major league asshole on open mic and it didn't go far

this open mic thing you are posing derailed the campaign so much that clinton could take 6 weeks off right before the election and not even have to explain his health condition to anyone? he would have to admit to puppy stabbing for it to be that bad

also, you are making a mistake of viewing Clinton's "job approval" as a stand alone, and not looking at his personal approval and or how motivated anyone would actually be to come out and vote for him a third time (especially when he has done nothing but tell the progressive base to go fuck themselves the previous 4 years)

“Ladies and Gentlemen: I have not been straightforward with you. Over the last year doctors have repeatedly reminded me that my health is deteriorating and that I should be careful of what I eat. Like too many men my age I have enjoyed the “Big Mac” too many times and I look forward to the day where my craving for fast food subsides. Unfortunately my personal physician has told me that my bypass surgery from a few months ago was not as successful as we’d hoped. I will need to undergo a triple bypass surgery one month from today. During the surgery, and in the days following, I shall transfer the responsibilities of this office to Vice President Dodd. When I selected Chris Dodd several months ago to replace Al Gore on the ticket I weighed the decision very heavily. I chose then-Senator Dodd because I trust his judgment and ability to lead…” –Excerpt from Bill Clinton’s Address to the American people: April 4, 2001

April 8, 2001: Do you approve or disapprove of President Clinton’s job performance?
Approve: 54%

Disapprove: 44%
Undecided: 2%

“President Clinton has left the American people out of his mindset. He needs to resign and get his ass out of the chair in the Oval Office!” –Rush Limbaugh: April 9, 2001

19_panetta1_600.jpg

Conversation in the Situation Room: April 14, 2001
PANETTA: Mr. President this is our best chance yet to take out Osama bin Laden, we should take it.
KERRY: And fail like last time? Please!
CLINTON: We could kill him though, Leon? This is doable?
PANETTA: Probably, but we can’t keep this one under wraps, not like last time.
KERRY: This Administration can’t afford another public blunder, it’s too risky, and who knows if bin Laden is really going to succeed at this “master plan” of his?
DODD: Mr. President, you should go with your gut – but don’t let politics force your hand.
CLINTON: Okay. Let me review the intelligence and I’ll decide tomorrow.
PANETTA: Yes, sir.

Conversation in the Situation Room: April 15, 2001
CLINTON: I’m not ready to confirm that he’s there – I’m not ready to risk American lives taking out a target that isn’t even there. I’m not ready to risk that. Hopefully we’ll get closer and more reliable intelligence and take him out in the coming months. I’m going to wait though.
PANETTA: Mr. President, with all due respect, the intelligence we’re going on is more than it was last time. Don’t you think we should take the chance?
CLINTON: Leon, I learn from my mistakes. We’re not going to risk American lives on this operation. That’s my decision and that’s final.

“The triple bypass surgery seems to have gone well. We will be returning the President to the White House a week from today. As for the political ramifications and legal consequences I am unaware at this time.” –Dr. Michael Moss, administered the surgery: May 5, 2001

Conversation in the Situation Room: May 8, 2001
PANETTA: Mr. President once again we have an opportunity to kill bin Laden, we need to take it.
DODD: No, I’m only holding this position for a few more days – I’m not going to bring us into a war in that short amount of time.
PANETTA: Mr. President
DODD: It’s done, Leon. We’ll wait until President Clinton returns.
PANETTA: Sir that could mean the loss of this chance. Take it! Put the son of a bitch out of power once and for all!
DODD: Bill said no before and I’m saying no now. It’s too risky.

“My fellow Americans: at this time we must move forward and pass extensive educational reform. Let’s make the American educational system come alive! Let’s move our country forward. There’s a lot we can do and no option is off the table – let us use this opportunity, this moment in history, to achieve serious education reform for a better America. It’s up to us to make that difference and I’m prepared to work on it, if the Republicans won’t stand with me then I’ll stand alone. This issue is too important for partisan divides we deserve so much more – America deserves so much more. Let’s make the chance for this to happen…” –Excerpt from Bill Clinton’s Educational Address to the Nation, New York City: May 22, 2001

July 1, 2001: Do you approve or disapprove of President Clinton’s job performance?
Approve: 48%

Disapprove: 46%
Undecided: 6%

“I am officially resigning as U.S. Attorney General. I will be pursuing other passions of mine and feel the nation and President will be better served without my presence. I thank the President and the people for the extraordinary opportunity I’ve been presented with.” –Resignation Announcement of Attorney General Janet Reno: July 5, 2001

“I have decided to appoint Manhattan District Attorney John F. Kennedy, Jr. Kennedy has been Manhattan District Attorney for two years and served four years in the office before then. He is an ambitious and vibrant individual who will serve the office well.” –Kennedy Appointment Announcement: July 16, 2001

Corbis-NF118012.jpg

“In other news the Senate voted yesterday on a vote of 87-13 to confirm Manhattan District Attorney John F. Kennedy, Jr to the position of U.S. Attorney General…” –The TODAY Show: August 24, 2001

“Look, we’ve tried very hard to work with the President on the issue of education but he is simply unwilling to compromise. We’re not going to waste the American people’s time if the President only wants to talk the talk without walking the walk. Now I want educational reform as much as anybody but we have to do it right and we need to do it in a public manner. I’m not going to distort the reality here: President Clinton is preventing progress and that’s simply unreasonable.” –Answer to a Question in a Press Conference, Speaker Hassert: August 28, 2001

September 1, 2001: Do you approve or disapprove of President Clinton’s job performance?
Disapprove: 47%

Approve: 46%
Undecided: 7%

“President Clinton will be in New York City tomorrow to meet with children in several public schools. He will be joined by Senator Caroline Kennedy and they will meet with Mayor Rudy Giuliani at one of the schools. The President will be returning to Washington Wednesday morning.” –Press Briefing: September 10, 2001

911.jpg

“President Clinton was only a couple of blocks from the World Trade Center when the first plane hit. Immediately upon contact the Secret Service were notified and they burst into the classroom where he was meeting with the children, grabbed him firmly by the shoulders and rushed him out of the room. While the teacher looked around and some of the kids screamed, it is widely believed this is the moment where Senator Kennedy was grabbed by a Secret Service agent in a rash decision. Kennedy was then brought to Air Force One just as the second plan struck the second tower. Clinton and Kennedy were whisked into Air Force One as it flew off for destination unknown. In the meantime a third plane struck the U.S. Department of State. Somewhere after that collision Clinton ordered a no-fly zone over Washington and landed all planes in the nation. After that occurred the Capitol Building was evacuated. Soon the first tower crumbled and the President got on the phone with Secretary Panetta. Months later the conversation would nearly bring down the Administration. Panetta scolded the president and demanded that he finally listen to him about Bin Laden. Clinton wanted information about what was going on. By the end of the day a plane intended for the White House was shot down over a field in Pennsylvania while bombs detonated on the Golden Gate Bridge. The 9/11 Terrorist Attacks resulted in the deaths of 3,111 American Citizens and was a dark cloud in American History.” –Excerpt from Kevin Flynn’s New York Times Best Seller: September 11th

Last edited:
Initially the nation turned to Clinton but when it was revealed in the coming days that his Administration could’ve potentially prevented it all his approval rating sunk to a disappointing 31% and Panetta instructed the President to launch another attack on Osama bin Laden.

There is no way this kind of information becomes public and well known in the space of a month -- if OTL's handling of Bush's August PDB is any indication, Clinton's missed opportunity on bin laden for another eight months or so, by which point Clinton will have made good use of his high polls in the wake of the attacks...

Somehow I knew that this will happen. (If some one who calls himself a conservative writes a TL about Clinton, something like this had to happen.) I really doubt that Clinton would miss a chance to kill Bin Laden. And Clinton really feared terrorist attacks on the US (something Bush never thought that it would be possible.)