King Bill: The Third Term of William Jefferson Clinton

22nd butterflies

Three thoughts:

First: 22nd Admnt cannot get repealed in OTL; Amending the Constitution is tough and there has never been a bare majority in favor of an appeal that needs 2/3 of Congress and then 3/4 of state Legislatures.

Only the extreme 4th Term of FDR got the public call for the two-term Constitutional limit rather that the limit only by tradition / historical precedent.

Second: If you POD that 22nd does not pass at all. Will the butterflies change the Presidents prior to Clinton??
I am uncertain. Let's look:

Truman: By the text of 22nd, he was not bound. He chose not to run anyway.
IKE: Age, health and sense of duty to follow previous Generals turned Presidents as two terms only. Ike was very concerned with the concept of "Napoleonism"
JFK: KIA DALLAS 11/23/63
LBJ: No mandate to run in '68 and that was not his 3rd anyway.
Nixon: Watergate scandal might have some butterflies from no 22nd. Republicans on the fence might have jumped ship and called for Nixon to resign quicker. In OTL Nixon cannot run again so the Rep Party knew they could move on with a new leader for 1976. In this ATL, Rep Party members might see a loss in 1976 even if Nixon overcomes the charges. If Nixon digs in like Clinton remains to fight in Senate, then BOOM! butterflies hit Ford/Carter and down to Clinton. If Nixon remains a criminal President BUT a good enough man to resign EARLIER than OTL then a longer POTUS Ford term butterflies into possible Ford win over Carter so then again BOOM! butterflies hit Ford/Carter and down to Clinton.

Third:
If Clinton had the option of running again, then the OTL Monica scandal and reaction by many would have been different. There were some who backed Clinton in part because he was done in two years and the Democratic Party could move on from a Employer harassment of a subordinate worker [as Gov. ARKS] / perjury [as POTUS] / adultery [not a crime but a scandal that politicians wish to avoid]/ impeachment for aforementioned perjury.

There would have more support in the Democratic Party for Clinton to resign and for VP Al Gore to replace Clinton as POTUS.

If the only change from OTL is the 22nd Amend removed, I do not see a landslide in the Democratic Party demanding a 3rd term for Bill.

“Republican Governors Ridge and Pataki saw their chance. Whitman was rising in the polls and they hoped they could move the party to the center on the issue of abortion. In late-April and early-May they endorsed Whitman. Whitman used this momentum to take on Bush. Of course now she says she never anticipated to win, she had a mission – a mission to move the party to the left on social issues and ‘push them into the 21st century’ true or not, we’ll never know.” --Excerpt from The Turn of the Century by Dick Morris

“Don’t give up on life, vote for a compassionate conservative!” –Excerpt from George W Bush’s speech in Ames: May 3, 1999.

Republican Primary Poll, May 1999
George W. Bush: 22%
Christine Todd Whitman: 16%
Trent Lott: 14%
Elizabeth Dole: 12%
John McCain: 11%
Dan Quayle: 4%
Pat Buchanan: 2%
Steve Forbes: 2%
Lamar Alexander: 1%
Orrin Hatch: 1%
Alan Keyes: 1%
Undecided: 14%

“Our campaign was progressing. Polls showed us easily defeating Bush, Lott, and Dole. McCain was our hardest competitor in the General Election but we were still defeating him by 4%. Whitman beat Bradley, just like McCain did, but we had her beat by 5-points. Ultimately we were comfortable with our position going into the fall campaign, but we still had a year to go. In the meantime there was a lot on my plate as President to worry about.” –Excerpt from Bill Clinton’s memoir: My Life

“Look here folks: if we elect George W. Bush we’re asking for trouble. We need someone with real experience to represent us. We need someone ready to make a difference. With your support I can be that leader!” –Excerpt from Dan Quayle’s Speech: May 7, 1999 in Iowa.

Corbis-42-16274675.jpg

“Trent Lott experienced a sort of surge in May and June. His campaign had been making steady progress and he had his heart set on winning Iowa. Around late-May polls showed him in second while some even had him in first. Bush was falling behind as voters began to question whether he was running on his name or on his resume. Dole was falling fast, but tried to bring a new approach and platform plank to the center: technology. Soon all her speeches were on technology and how to improve it under her Administration. It put a band-aid on the issue and kept her numbers from entering a tailspin.” --Excerpt from The Turn of the Century by Dick Morris

“June was a rough month for the reelection campaign. We started slipping as voters began to demand some answers about what we would put into our third term approach. That wasn’t the worst of it. Relations with Gore had grinded to a halt. He was, somewhat understandably, pissed off at me and accused me of stealing his clear path to the presidency. I had to think about the country and I just didn’t think Al Gore was ready. He was a nice guy and all but I could do a better job than he could! Furthermore Hillary told me she still wanted to run for Senate in New York, while we agreed to postpone the discussion it was an unnecessary distraction. We feared the possibility of a primary from Gore.” –Excerpt from Bill Clinton’s memoir: My Life

Corbis-WL005111.jpg

Al Gore Press Conference: June 14, 1999
GORE: I have decided that, should the President receive a third term, he and the nation would be better served without me. I will not be seeking the Vice Presidency for another four years. I do not believe that any person should hold the presidency for more than eight years and I feel the same for the Office of Vice President. I wish the President the best and I plan on continuing to make a difference in my remaining year-and-a-half in office.

Republican Primary Poll, July 1999
George W. Bush: 20%
Trent Lott: 18%
Christine Todd Whitman: 14%
Elizabeth Dole: 10%
Steve Forbes: 6%
Undecided: 12%

Republican Primary Poll – IA, July 1999
George W. Bush: 19%
Trent Lott: 19%
Elizabeth Dole: 16%
John McCain: 12%
Steve Forbes: 10%
Christine Todd Whitman: 7%
Dan Quayle: 5%
Pat Buchanan: 3%
Undecided: 6%

Republican Primary Poll – NH, July 1999
Christine Todd Whitman: 20%
George W. Bush: 14%
John McCain: 14%
Trent Lott: 9%
Elizabeth Dole: 8%
Steve Forbes: 7%
Dan Quayle: 3%
Alan Keyes: 2%
Pat Buchanan: 1%
Undecided: 20%

Democratic Primary Poll, July 1999
Bill Clinton: 63%
Al Gore*: 22%
Bill Bradley: 10%
Undecided: 5%
*candidate not in the race

Democratic Primary Poll – IA, July 1999
Bill Clinton: 55%
Al Gore*: 31%
Bill Bradley: 12%
Undecided: 3%

Democratic Primary Poll – NH, July 1999
Bill Clinton: 60%
Al Gore*: 20%
Bill Bradley: 15%
Undecided: 5%

Assume no 22nd Amendment Clinton could have run in 2000 and probably have won.

Assuming the September 11 atrocities are not prevented I presume the Republicans would blame him.

I doubt that he could win in 04

There is a major difference between Clinton and Bush in that matter. Former took those threats serious while latter was not interested until it was too late (and then tried to use them for his own project). So with Clinton PotUS in 2001 9/11 could be prevented.

There is a major difference between Clinton and Bush in that matter. Former took those threats serious while latter was not interested until it was too late (and then tried to use them for his own project). So with Clinton PotUS in 2001 9/11 could be prevented.

clinton cld not have prevented 9/11

Deleted member 40957

clinton cld not have prevented 9/11

I agree. Clinton was interested in taking bin Laden out and attempted it several times (mostly failing due to logistics problems on the ground in Afghanistan), but there is a very small window between the inauguration in January 2001 and 9/11 and it's unlikely that another successful attempt could have been mounted then.

It's not impossible, but I think a successful plot to neutralize bin Laden would need a more sustained period of planning.

Read Richard A. Clarke's "Against All Enemies". This book tells us how many things Bush did wrong before 9/11. Bush let things slide. Something Clinton never did. Even if Clinton could not prevent 9/11 his crisis management would have been much better.

Trent Lott for President Strategy Meeting: July 8, 1999
LOTT: So we can win the Iowa Straw Poll?
Steve BROWNING: I’m sure.
Michael KRULL: Don’t take it for granted, though. We need you in Iowa working very hard. Our website is extremely advanced and we are sending information out to our volunteers.
LOTT: So we can win?
KRULL: I’d think so.
LOTT: Who’s the biggest threat?
BROWNING: Dole.
KRULL: Bush.
LOTT: Why Dole, Steve?
BROWNING: Well I think she can wage a serious ground game, plus her husband is giving her his grassroots organizers and staff, etcetera. We shouldn’t take her for granted.
LOTT: But I mean – we’re not seriously going to nominate her?
KRULL: No, Trent, we’re not. We need to worry about Bush. He’s got the money and name recognition to win the Straw Poll. Trust me: worry about Bush, not Dole.

Republican Presidential Debate: July 17, 1999
Candidates Invited: Bush, Lott, Whitman, Dole, McCain, Forbes

BUSH: I am committed to the conservative principles that have pushed America to this point and will continue to move our nation forward. That includes protecting the sanctity of human life.
WHITMAN: I’d like to interject here. Let’s be perfectly honest: we rail against government intervention in our lives and then we go and tell women what they can and can’t do. I find abortion horrible and despicable and I would never receive such an operation but I would never tell my daughter – or Governor Bush’s daughter how they should make that decision.
SCHIEFFER: The next question is for you, Mr. Forbes: what is your plan for economic success?
FORBES: My plan for economic success is simple. Look, I’m a businessman and I love the capitalist system we live in. I’m gonna go to Washington and explain how important smaller government is in promoting economic growth. Then I’ll pass a balanced budget and stir unprecedented growth in this nation.
SCHIEFFER: Hasn’t President Clinton done the same?
FORBES: We could get unemployment lower. We could see our debt get lower. He’s making progress, but he’s not doing it fast enough.
SCHIEFFER: Mrs. Dole your position on the economy?
DOLE: We’re going to stir economic growth and renewal through creating new jobs in the internet. But we’re not going to stop there. We should invest in research and technology so we can see our nation grow and prosper.

Crossfire: July 24, 1999
Bill Press: President Clinton is going to sail to victory. The economy is awesome and progress is being made every day. There’s so much at stake that Americans won’t be willing to sit by and let any one of the Republicans take over.
Mary Matalin: Are you serious, Bill? Voters are going to be sick and tired of the Clinton ways. Hell his own party is starting to revolt. Ideally Clinton would cruise to victory, like you said, but in reality his party is eating away at him and there are a lot of issues that he’ll need to address.
Bill Press: Look, Mary, there’s no doubt in my mind that the voters are going to look at the last eight years when they vote in November of next year. So what are they going to find? They’ll see an America with a balanced budget, a reformed welfare system, and low unemployment. Don’t forget they’ll also see an America at peace. Are you really going to say that they’ll vote to reverse all of that?
Mary Matalin: Bill Clinton lied to the American people and they’re not going to forget that. Not one bit. The voters can’t be taken for granted, Bill, you should know that.

“I was getting beaten up from the right on the issue of abortion. To me they’re all a bunch of hypocrites. They make the argument that they’re pro-life but they support the death penalty. They claim they want less government intervention but they go around and tell women what they can and can’t do. This is a disaster waiting to blow-up in the face of our party. We have to progress into the 21st Century. My campaign manager says I should back out but I refuse, though I won’t win my goal is to move this party into the 21st Century, and therefore more to the center.” –The Diary of Christine Todd Whitman: July 27, 1999

Corbis-DWF15-989499.jpg

“Unfortunately Governor Whitman is overshadowing my campaign. I could win in a one-on-one race with Bush, I know I could, and unfortunately there are too many damn people in this field. Maybe it’s worth it to drop out and endorse Whitman…perhaps I could land a spot at the bottom of the ticket. Or what if I support Lott? He seems to be cruising to the nomination now anyways.” –The Diary of John McCain: July 28, 1999

“Whitman’s a bitch. She’s purposely staying in this race to divide the party. Her anti-life opinion has zero place in the Republican Party. What the hell is she doing? Does she really think she can win this thing? No, she can’t and she should realize that. New Hampshire won’t guide her to victory nationwide.” –The Diary of Trent Lott: July 28, 1999

“The Iowa Straw Poll is tomorrow and I’m starting to doubt my seriousness as a candidate. Unfortunately, at least it seems to me, the stereotypes of my Vice Presidency are overshadowing my chances at becoming President. If the results aren’t favorable I can’t see any justification for staying in the race.” –The Diary of Dan Quayle: August 13, 1999

Ames, Iowa Straw Poll: August 14, 1999
Trent Lott: 22%
George W. Bush: 21%
Elizabeth Dole: 17%
Steve Forbes: 16%
Pat Buchanan: 6%
John McCain: 5%
Christine Todd Whitman: 4%
Lamar Alexander: 2%

“I have decided to withdraw from the Presidential race. Though I feel that the nation needs a true leader I have heard the voters: I am not that man at this time. I am, however, very proud to endorse Mississippi Senator Trent Lott for the office of President of the United States.” –Excerpt from Dan Quayle’s Withdrawal Speech: August 15, 1999

“The United States will continue to succeed, of that I am sure. However I do not feel, at this time, that I am fit to be President. I am, however, endorsing a man who is: George W. Bush.” –Excerpt from Lamar Alexander’s Withdrawal Speech: August 15, 1999

pat_buchanan.jpg

“…and so I will be leaving the race for the Republican Nomination and running on the Reform Party ticket. Thank you and God bless America.” –Excerpt from Pat Buchanan’s Withdrawal Speech: August 19, 1999

“Due to financial reasons I will not be continuing my campaign for President. I am, however, endorsing George W. Bush for the Republican Nomination for President.” –Excerpt from Orrin Hatch’s Withdrawal Speech: August 28, 1999

Republican Primary Poll, September 1999
George W. Bush: 21%
Trent Lott: 21%
Elizabeth Dole: 13%
Christine Todd Whitman: 12%
Steve Forbes: 8%
Undecided: 12%

Just so you guys know, Truman did seek a third term, but lost to Estes Kefauver in the New Hampshire primary, and dropped out. It was sort of like Lyndon Johnson in 1968.

Republican Presidential Debate: September 2, 1999
Candidates Invited: Bush, Lott, Whitman, Dole, McCain

McCAIN: The Republicans can’t win against President Clinton if we don’t nominate someone who represents mainstream America. If you nominate Senator Lott, who has a great record in the Senate – if you nominate Senator Lott you’re just asking to lose against President Clinton. The economy is making progress, and that’s good, but we can make more progress and we can do it without raising taxes. What we need is a President devoted to change, but promoting that change in a bipartisan manner.
LOTT: Senator McCain, with all due respect, you and President Clinton are going to get on that debate stage and agree with each other. In 1980 everyone said a conservative couldn’t beat Jimmy Carter but we nominated Ronald Reagan anyways and we won. We need a clear contrast to President Clinton if we want to win and I hope that we can all agree that to move this nation forward we have to move this country in the exact opposite direction the country is moving.
McCAIN: Jobs are being created and I am confident that the economy has gotten better, but taxes are too high. We’re making progress, but not the right kind.

john_mccain0515.jpg

“The Straw Poll has greatly helped our campaign, what a relief! I’m looking for an upset in Iowa and I wouldn’t be surprised if we pull one off. If we don’t I’m going to head to South Carolina and hope to win there. It appears that Governor Whitman will win in New Hampshire, so that’s out of the question. If Lott wins Iowa, Whitman wins New Hampshire, and I win South Carolina we’ll push Bush out of the race – and I think I’ll snatch his endorsement and therefore the nomination.” –The Diary of Elizabeth Dole: September 4, 1999

“I’m not going to run for President on the Democratic Ticket but I am considering making a third-party bid to divide the Democratic Party. If not I’ll endorse Bill Bradley. That I wouldn’t mind doing. The entire nation knows that the President and Vice President are on completely different pages. The prick stole the presidency from me. I figured he would live up to his word, he told me he wouldn’t run after the Lewinsky Scandal broke so I stuck-up for him, but what does he do? He runs! He steals my clear shot to the presidency. Well if I have anything to do with it Bill Clinton won’t win a third term. The prick’s gonna get what he deserves.” –The Diary of Al Gore: September 8, 1999

“Today began by visiting a Middle School in one of Iowa’s 99 Counties. I met with several teachers and gave a speech to an assembly of eighth graders. Afterwards I held a Q&A session with the children and one little girl asked me about her father who lost his job. It was a tough experience and it taught me how wrong Bill Clinton has been all along. After that I met with one of the teachers who talked about the serious need for educational reform. It’s obvious that President Clinton has not done enough on education. It’s time to make a difference. I’m going to win this election and I’m going to do it for America. If, somehow, I don’t I plan on making the next four years of President Clinton’s term hell.” –The Diary of Trent Lott: September 14, 1999

26lott-600.jpg

“The election system in the United States has always been a controversial one: sometimes candidates win by making backroom deals, sometimes its smoke-filled rooms, but every once in a while the American people choose a President. In 2000, the Republicans were looking to divide the conservative base between Lott and Bush, the moderates between McCain and Whitman, and the business-minded, real-world experience voters between Dole and Forbes. In late-September McCain and Whitman met at the New Jersey Governor’s Mansion for two days. Campaign insiders now confirm that the several items were discussed including cabinet positions and ‘who should endorse who’ but the results of the meeting weren’t made clear until mid-October when John McCain suspended his campaign. On November 7, 1999, John McCain officially terminated his presidential ambitions and endorsed Christine Todd Whitman. Whitman and McCain began to tour New Hampshire and Delaware hoping to capture enough votes in the critical early states. Bush’s campaign insiders decided to go extremely negative. To fight off Whitman’s climb to the top they began airing ads depicting graphic images of abortion and flashing a quote from Whitman about her position on the issue. The ads backfired as the media went crazy, attacking Bush for stooping to the level. In mid-December Karl Rove was laid off from the Bush Campaign and quickly replaced. Bush went on to make a formal apology to the nation and to Whitman. The apology helped his numbers minimally and potentially saved his campaign.” --Excerpt from The Turn of the Century by Dick Morris

Meet the Press: January 9, 2000
RUSSERT: So what, Governor, is your strategy moving forward?
WHITMAN: Well we’re hoping to do very well in New Hampshire, Delaware, and Hawaii and move forward from there. Last week we received the support of Colin Powell and I’m sure that this is the beginning of our path to the nomination. I will not take any vote for granted and I plan on meeting with the people of every state as the caucuses and primaries draw near.
RUSSERT: Were you personally offended by the ads Governor Bush’s campaign released?
WHITMAN: Personally? No. I was, however, shocked that Governor Bush would stoop to that level. That kind of political mudslinging has no place in the public eye.
RUSSERT: Abortion can be that graphic though, can’t it?
WHITMAN: I have my eight-year old niece calling me and asking if I’m a murderer. Now those images, the details of abortion, should not be heard by first graders or second graders – or middle schoolers for that matter. When you put something on TV you better take responsibility for it.

Republican Primary Poll, January 2000
Trent Lott: 26%
Christine Todd Whitman: 22%
Elizabeth Dole: 17%
George W. Bush: 16%
Steve Forbes: 8%
Undecided: 9%

Who would you support for President?
Bill Clinton: 50%
Trent Lott: 41%
Ralph Nader: 3%
Undecided: 4%

Who would you support for President?
Bill Clinton: 44%
Christine Todd Whitman: 43%
Ralph Nader: 1%
Undecided: 10%

“If Whitman is the Republican Nominee I may support her, though not publicly. She’s pro-environment and not a crazy socially-right loon. You know, that’s what the country needs. I may have to do this. Bill is still trying to get me to stay on for another term but I can’t do that. He’s a lying greaseball and he has no place in the Oval Office. This has become personal. On top of that Hillary is still going through with a campaign for the U.S. Senate. She’s the Democratic Nominee unless something bizarre happens. Who knows maybe she’ll reconsider? I’m curious to see what she does. Will we ever really know? The United States has constantly been kept out of the loop of how the government is working. Clinton is a liar and the United States deserves much better. It’s ridiculous. The frustration has my pen working so fast right now. I cannot believe the nerve of that man. To think the country will elect him again in November!” –The Diary of Al Gore: January 20, 2000

Corbis-42-16848831.jpg

Last edited:
Iowa Caucus Results | January 24, 2000
Trent Lott … 29%

George W. Bush … 25%
Elizabeth Dole … 22%
Steve Forbes … 12%
Christine Todd Whitman … 10%
Alan Keyes … 2%

Republican Delegate Count | January 24, 2000
Trent Lott … 25 delegates

George W. Bush … 0 delegates
Elizabeth Dole … 0 delegates
Steve Forbes … 0 delegates
Alan Keyes … 0 delegates
Christine Todd Whitman … 0 delegates

Iowa Caucus Results | January 24, 2000
Bill Clinton … 58%

Bill Bradley … 42%

Corbis-TL033331.jpg

Democratic Delegate Count | January 24, 2000
Bill Clinton … 32 delegates

Bill Bradley … 25 delegates

New Hampshire Primary Results | February 1, 2000
Christine Todd Whitman … 26%

Elizabeth Dole … 20%
George W. Bush … 19%
Steve Forbes … 16%
Trent Lott … 12%
Alan Keyes … 5%
Other … 2%

Republican Delegate Count | February 1, 2000
Trent Lott … 27 delegates

Christine Todd Whitman … 6 delegates
Elizabeth Dole … 4 delegates
George W. Bush … 3 delegates
Steve Forbes … 2 delegates
Alan Keyes … 1 delegate

Corbis-NF118642.jpg

New Hampshire Primary Results | February 1, 2000
Bill Clinton … 49%

Bill Bradley … 42%
Al Gore (write-in) … 7%
Other … 2%

Democratic Delegate Count | February 1, 2000
Bill Clinton … 48 delegates

Bill Bradley … 38 delegates

Corbis-NF119991.jpg

“Hello. I have decided that it is best to withdraw from the Republican race for President at this time. The United States needs a leader and someone ready to lead, while I feel qualified for the job I have decided to back another one of the fine candidates in this race. I am officially endorsing Mississippi Senator Trent Lott for the Republican Nomination for President. I know Senator Lott is qualified for the position and I hope to see him in the White House one day. Thank You.” –Excerpt from Steve Forbes’ Withdrawal Speech: February 2, 2000

Delaware Primary Results | February 5, 2000
Bill Clinton … 57%

Bill Bradley … 43%

Delaware Primary Results | February 8, 2000
Christine Todd Whitman … 31%

George W. Bush … 26%
Trent Lott … 18%
Elizabeth Dole … 16%
Alan Keyes … 9%

Republican Delegate Count | February 8, 2000
Trent Lott … 29 delegates

Christine Todd Whitman … 18 delegates
Alan Keyes … 1 delegate

“It’s all down to South Carolina. They vote in ten days and we’re starting to fall into third place, behind Bush. I’m starting to think Lott has gained a lock on the nomination. I trust him to win against Clinton, but I want to lead the charge – I want to be the one who took down President Clinton. Unfortunately our campaign is dead in the water if we don’t win in South Carolina. I called Lott’s campaign to try and make a deal for the bottom of the ticket but he has yet to call me back. What I fear most is a bitter primary that divides the party, we can’t win against Clinton if we do it that way, we simply can’t.” –The Diary of Elizabeth Dole: February 9, 2000

“Trent Fucking Lott is going to beat me out for this nomination, what a prick. We’re just asking to get screwed up in the general if we’re seriously supporting some dumbass from Mississippi. What the hell are the people in this party thinking?” –The Diary of George Bush: February 11, 2000

“We’re going to be pouring money into South Carolina so we can upset and take third or second. I’m talking about the importance of fiscal conservatism and it seems to be resonating. Unfortunately at every Town Hall event someone asks about abortion. Bush and Lott have flooded the airwaves against me because they know I can sail to victory in Arizona and Michigan. They’re worried about what happens if I do win those states. I have Ridge and Pataki in Michigan for me as well as McCain in Arizona, hopefully it works. In the meantime I’m making an honest push for South Carolina.” –The Diary of Christine Todd Whitman: February 14, 2000

“South Carolina was one of the strangest Election Nights I’ve ever witnessed. Polls began closing and initial reports showed Bush and Lott running even. Eventually with about 10% of the polls in Lott pulled ahead and Bush and Dole began to battle for second. Suddenly, when 17% of the polls were in, Whitman shot up to second and then at 21% she appeared to be at first. The rest of the night, however, she gradually fell down again and by 50% in she had settled at third. With 61% in they called the state for Lott but then Whitman burst to the front of the pack again. There were counties and cities that were lopsided by a large amount for Whitman so when one precinct would report it would shoot up her numbers. In the end she walked away with third place, defeating Dole and arguably pushing her out of the race. The story of the night was that she had lost second place by only a few hundred votes. I’ve never seen anything like it in all my life.” --Excerpt from The Turn of the Century by Dick Morris

South Carolina Primary Results | February 19, 2000
Trent Lott … 32%

George W. Bush … 22%
Christine Todd Whitman … 22%
Elizabeth Dole … 20%
Alan Keyes … 4%

Republican Delegate Count | February 19, 2000
Trent Lott … 66 delegates

Christine Todd Whitman … 18 delegates
Alan Keyes … 1 delegate

Corbis-0000359404-003.jpg

“Unfortunately every great journey must come to an end. I have very much enjoyed meeting people all over this nation. The experts said that we couldn’t make it past the Iowa Straw Poll. Well, the experts were wrong! Unfortunately the United States Presidential Election is a competition of who has the most money and the flashiest ads. I tried to win this race by energizing the base and organizing strong grassroots support, but we came up short. Oh well. So yes, I am suspending my campaign for President until further notice. Thank you America and God bless!” –Excerpt from Elizabeth Dole’s Withdrawal Speech: February 20, 2000

“Polls show me with a commanding lead in Michigan. Hopefully we can keep that up into the primary tomorrow. With Dole out, however, much of the conservative vote is up for grabs. We conducted private polling on where her votes go and it seems they’ll break for Bush, then me, and then Lott. I fear a surge for Bush that will push him into second place, or perhaps overtaking me. If I lose Michigan I can’t win the nomination.” –The Diary of Christine Todd Whitman: February 21, 2000

“I have decided to end my campaign for United States Senate. I feel that a huge conflict of interest would be created and do not feel that is the best decision for New York.” –Excerpt from Hillary Clinton’s Withdrawal Speech: February 21, 2000

Corbis-UT0053270.jpg

Arizona Primary Results | February 22, 2000
Christine Todd Whitman… 46%

Trent Lott … 31%
George W. Bush … 22%
Alan Keyes … 1%

Michigan Primary Results | February 22, 2000
Christine Todd Whitman… 49%

George W. Bush … 37%
Trent Lott … 12%
Alan Keyes … 2%

Hawaii Caucuses Results | February 22, 2000
Christine Todd Whitman… 60%

George W. Bush … 18%
Trent Lott … 16%
Alan Keyes … 6%

Alaska Caucuses Results | February 23, 2000
George W. Bush … 37%

Trent Lott … 34%
Christine Todd Whitman … 19%
Alan Keyes … 10%

Republican Delegate Count | February 23, 2000
Christine Todd Whitman … 120 delegates

Trent Lott … 66 delegates
George W. Bush … 26 delegates
Alan Keyes … 1 delegate

“The state of New York is in need of a leader. When my father became President of the United States he asked the nation to acknowledge the fact that the torch had been passed to a new generation of Americans. Once again it is time that we pass the torch and so I am officially declaring my intentions to seek the U.S. Senate Seat once held by my great uncle: Robert F. Kennedy. The United States should move forward and I am willing to be a part of that.” –Excerpt from Caroline Kennedy’s Announcement Speech: February 26, 2000

Corbis-0000366359-001.jpg

“I will not be a candidate for U.S. Senate in 2000,” said Governor George Pataki (R-NY)

North Dakota Caucuses Results | February 29, 2000
Trent Lott … 40%

George W. Bush … 38%
Christine Todd Whitman … 19%
Alan Keyes … 3%

Virginia Primary Results | February 29, 2000
Trent Lott … 35%

Christine Todd Whitman … 34%
George W. Bush … 30%
Alan Keyes … 1%

Washington Primary Results | February 29, 2000
Christine Todd Whitman … 44%

George W. Bush … 33%
Trent Lott … 18%
Alan Keyes … 5%

Republican Delegate Count | February 29, 2000
Trent Lott … 147 delegates

Christine Todd Whitman … 136 delegates
George W. Bush … 39 delegates
Alan Keyes … 3 delegates

“I am formally freeing my delegates and encouraging them to support whomever they wish. I, however, will not make a formal endorsement until the end of the primary campaign. I am officially withdrawing from the Presidential campaign,” –Excerpt from Elizabeth Dole Press Conference: March 1, 2000

“It is clear to me now that the Democratic Party has been bought and paid for by President Clinton. I am terminating my presidential campaign at this time.” –Excerpt from Bill Bradley’s Withdrawal Speech: March 3, 2000

“I am withdrawing from the Presidential race and endorsing Mississippi Senator Trent Lott. I encourage all of my supporters to vote for him in their upcoming primaries and caucuses.” –Excerpt from George W. Bush’s Withdrawal Speech: March 6, 2000

mega obstacles to clinton 3rd term (hand waiving 22nd aside)

1. whilst his job approval was decent to good, his personal approval ratings were not; people will not be motivated to come out for him unless the republicans run the rancor
2. and by the far the biggest his health was terrible; 8 years of intense stress and travel, horrendous eating and sleeping habits and workaholic tendancies that rivaled the worst of nixon left him circling the edge of major heart failure (he eventually required a quadrouple bypass after a long resting schedule anyway)

his heart just wasn't healthy enough for another rigorous campaign IF a doctor even let him campaign he is going collapse on a stage somewhere at some point with angania/mild heart attack at minimum but much more likely serious if not potentially fatal heart attack as the more likely event

take a look at some of the photos of him from 2000; he looked like shit

Christine Todd Whitman would put a good fight against Clinton, and she probably could narrowly eek out a win. However I have a feeling Bill is going to win because this TL is called King Bill: The Third Term of William Jefferson Clinton.

A bit off topic is the state of the Republican party. It is sad to see such a sad slate of candidates nowadays.

I would have been a consistent republican had I chance to vote in past elections because I like GOPer's such as Nixon, Ford, Rockefeller and Bush Senior.

If the GOP nominated someone such as Whitman, I would seriously consider voting for her because she is reminiscient of past Republican moderation.

Back to the TL.

Gore could really cause trouble by "going rogue," publically endorsing Whitman, and calling on dissident democrats to cross party lines.

Wishing you well, his majesty,
The Scandinavian Emperor

Super Tuesday Results: March 7, 2000
California: Whitman (+162 delegates)
Connecticut: Whitman (+25 delegates)
Georgia: Lott (+54 delegates)
Maine: Whitman (+14 delegates)
Maryland: Whitman (+31 delegates)
Massachusetts: Whitman (+37 delegates)
Missouri: Lott (+35 delegates)
Minnesota: Whitman (+34 delegates)
New York: Whitman (+70 delegates, 31 for Lott)
Ohio: Lott (+69 delegates)
Rhode Island: Whitman (+14 delegates)
Vermont: Whitman (+12 delegates)

Republican Delegate Count | March 7, 2000
Christine Todd Whitman … 537 delegates

Trent Lott … 377 delegates
Alan Keyes … 3 delegates

Corbis-NF118639.jpg

“After Super Tuesday Whitman was more than half-way to the nomination. It was a scary thought for conservatives and they volunteered in large numbers to support Lott’s campaign. On March 8th the two candidates squared-off in another debate where Lott appeared visibly frustrated by his inability to secure the nomination. While the rest of March would be beneficial for his campaign, he was hurt significantly by his smug personality during the debate. Whitman fought hard in Florida where she was down by 3% in the polls. It would take a miracle for her to win, but stranger things had already happened in the campaign. Meanwhile Whitman finally surpassed Clinton in nationwide polling while Lott still fell behind by roughly 3% -- it was a face Whitman continued to use against Lott as she argued that he was ‘simply unelectable’ to the majority of Americans.” --Excerpt from The Turn of the Century by Dick Morris

The March 10th Contests
Colorado: Lott (+24 delegates, 14 for Whitman, 2 for Keyes)
Utah: Lott (+29 delegates)
Wyoming: Lott (+22 delegates)

Republican Delegate Count | March 10, 2000
Christine Todd Whitman … 551 delegates

Trent Lott … 452 delegates
Alan Keyes … 5 delegates

“I did it. I successfully pushed the Republican Party to the center. I know that after March 14th my chances are over, but I’m okay with it. Lott will be forced to pick a moderate Vice President. Everyone in the media is talking about how the Republican Party has changed and evolved. No one is ignoring the fact that there is a divide in the party and it is up to me to heal that divide. I can drag this race out as long as I want. Polls have me up in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Wisconsin, Illinois, and a few other states. Hell if I win Florida I can win the nomination. Whether or not I’m nominated my mission is accomplished. Moderates will have a clear choice in the fall and I’m satisfied with that. I’ve paved the way for a moderate candidate in 2004 and that alone is something to be proud of.” –The Diary of Christine Todd Whitman: March 10, 2000

Mini-Tuesday: March 14, 2000
Florida: Lott (+80 delegates)
Louisiana: Lott (+20 delegates, 9 for Whitman)
Mississippi: Lott (+33 delegates)
Oklahoma: Lott (+38 delegates)
Tennessee: Lott (+37 delegates)
Texas: Lott (+124 delegates)

Republican Delegate Count | March 14, 2000
Trent Lott … 784 delegates

Christine Todd Whitman … 560 delegates
Alan Keyes … 5 delegates

trentlott.jpg

“Whitman called. She wants me to promise to appoint George Pataki as my running mate and John McCain as my Secretary of Defense. Oh, the nerve! She thinks she can single handedly move this party to the center! To the left! To make it liberal! NO. I am not going to let her destroy the Republican Party. I told her no and I plan on sticking to that answer.” –The Diary of Trent Lott: March 14, 2000

Kentucky Republican Caucuses: March 18, 2000
Trent Lott … 56%

Christine Todd Whitman … 43%
Alan Keyes … 1%

Republican Delegate Count | March 18, 2000
Trent Lott … 815 delegates

Christine Todd Whitman … 560 delegates
Alan Keyes … 5 delegates

“There is still a lot of hope for our campaign, especially if you vote for me, Pennsylvania!” –Excerpt from Christine Todd Whitman’s Speech in Philadelphia: March 20, 2000

Illinois Republican Primary: March 21, 2000
Christine Todd Whitman … 58%

Trent Lott … 39%
Alan Keyes … 3%

Republican Delegate Count | March 21, 2000

Christine Todd Whitman … 635 delegates
Alan Keyes … 5 delegates

April 4th Contests
Pennsylvania: Whitman (+78 delegates)
Wisconsin: Whitman (+37 delegates)

Republican Delegate Count | April 4, 2000

Christine Todd Whitman … 750 delegates
Alan Keyes … 5 delegates

Corbis-42-19584393.jpg

“Whitman had the power. More and more Republicans were starting to overlook abortion for the chance to beat Bill Clinton. Unfortunately for most of them that chance had passed, but for the remaining states Whitman started to witness a surge in numbers and a legitimate path to the White House was paved for her. If she defeated Trent Lott she would become the 2000 Nominee and every day it was starting to look easier. On April 22nd Trent Lott called Christine Todd Whitman and told her he needed her to withdraw. Whitman paused for a second before saying ‘And?’ at that moment the entire dynamic shifted. Lott lost his cool and began insulting Whitman using vulgar language. Whitman’s intern had taped the conversation and it soon became the topic of debate on national television. Lott was hurt tremendously and fought to recover his campaign. Though the figureheads of the battle were Lott and Whitman there was a deeper battle. Conservatives and Moderates were waging war for control of the Republican Party and it wasn’t clear who would win. When Whitman upset Lott in Indiana and North Carolina it was clear he had to do something to save his sinking ship. He agreed to one more debate with Whitman. In that debate they went back-and-forth before Lott reminded the voters that Whitman was another Bill Clinton. ‘And it takes a Ronald Reagan to defeat a Jimmy Carter,” he concluded. The stellar debate performance helped him a great deal and propelled him to victory in West Virginia and Nebraska.” –Excerpt from The Turn of the Century by Dick Morris

“I am so proud to declare victory in Oregon tonight!” –Christine Todd Whitman: May 16, 2000

Republican Delegate Count | May 16, 2000
Trent Lott … 894 delegates

Christine Todd Whitman … 860 delegates
Alan Keyes … 5 delegates

Christine Todd Whitman would put a good fight against Clinton, and she probably could narrowly eek out a win. However I have a feeling Bill is going to win because this TL is called King Bill: The Third Term of William Jefferson Clinton.

Well yes, like you said the title is obvious. Fortunately the timeline will (hopefully) continue into 2020ish