Just some music / pop culture WI's

Interesting one that just came to mind, maybe not as important as some of the others, but it could make a difference.

WI Avril Lavigne committed suicide (I have seen it suggested, albeit not by her, that she was pretty depressed at the time) not long after the release of her album Under My Skin in mid 2004?

What if the Beatles do another album?

1. Band on the Run
2. It Don't Come Easy
3. Well Well Well
4. Jet
5. Apple Scruffs
6. Mother
7. C Moon
8. Isolation
9. Hold On
10. Junk
11. Maybe I'm Amazed
12. Uncle Albert/ Admiral Halsey
13. All Things Must Pass

Actually, it was an accidental success: a low-budget movie from a record producer who had just the right artists already under contract. It had only one star with any name recognition and he (John Travolta) was largely known for a foolish adolescent role.

1. Travolta's career might not take off as well.

2. Disco does not go through a 1978 revival and gradually fades away, making room for earlier punk/new wave.

I did a thread about this a year ago. Someone said that the New Romantic movement of the early-80's was influenced somewhat by Disco. Maybe we don't see groups like that if there is no SNF.

Without SNF, here's an alternate scenario that could happen:

1. Obviously, without SNF, Disco isn't over the top big by the late-70's, even though it is still popular to some degree.

2. With disco decently popular, but not annoying the crap out of everyone, the creators who made the movie Rock N' Roll High School(which came out in August 1979) make it a disco film instead(After reading the trivia section on IMDB, Disco High was one of their original ideas before settling on Rock N' Roll High School).

3. A few months later, you had the roller disco movies released(Skatetown, U.S.A. and Roller Boogie). With those three movies, I wonder if you see a later popularizing of disco that carries into the early-80's, and I wonder if we see Travolta in any of those movies(I don't see him being the male lead in Roller Boogie, because Jim Bray was perfect since he was a champion roller skater, but maybe he plays a big role in Disco High or something).

Elvis successfully fires the Colonel in 1973-74. How would this affect his career and life and future UK/European tours as he originally wanted to do?

Here's one:

What if the Canadian courts decide to throw the book at Keith Richards for his Toronto heroin bust of 1977 and he ends up getting a long sentence for it instead of being able to rejoin the Stones that is if they even continue. I say an earlier Mick Jagger solo career :eek:.

The end of his career, and the Stones would crash earlier, causing a spilt by 2002.

Elvis successfully fires the Colonel in 1973-74. How would this affect his career and life and future UK/European tours as he originally wanted to do?

Elvis's life would not be in chaos, he would have done tours in the UK, including the Royal Variety in '77 and 81, and would still be around for a while longer. He would have died in more recent times though.

Pretty Woman

WI Pretty Woman had different actors for the male and female lead(like Al Pacino and Michelle Pfeiffer)?

What becomes of Julia Roberts' career?

WI Pretty Woman had different actors for the male and female lead(like Al Pacino and Michelle Pfeiffer)?

What becomes of Julia Roberts' career?

Very good question. Shes really not that beautiful in a conventional sense, and without that breakthrough rôle, she might never have become a star.

WI there was no invasion of Iraq? Would Pat Tillman be alive? Would the Dixie Chicks be together? How many protest songs would go unwritten? How many movies would be unmade?

I have some ideas :)

1) What if Britney Spears had not met K-Fed? Or had died during her mental breakdown? How would this have changed the publics perception of her?

2) What if William Shakespeare had not written any plays, either because of death or lack of interest? Which playwrite would we idolise today, if any? *effect songs in subject matters/metaphors

3) What if Miley Cyrus' 'Can't Be Tamed' had sold well. Would she currently be in the state she is in?

They are just some ideas :)

Also, I have started a timeline on the popculture POD 'What if Beauty and the Beast had won the oscar for best picture?'.

Here's the link if you're interested:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=295507

Last edited:
Interesting one that just came to mind, maybe not as important as some of the others, but it could make a difference.

WI Avril Lavigne committed suicide (I have seen it suggested, albeit not by her, that she was pretty depressed at the time) not long after the release of her album Under My Skin in mid 2004?

Where did you hear that? I've actually never heard of her being depressed.

1. Bryan Adams was very proud of his very first single. (The thread)
2. Rudolph Valentino survived his appendicitis and gastric ulcers. (The thread)
3. Greta Garbo's comeback in Hollywood, with a possibility of acting in a Swedish-language film.
4. Joe Kennedy and Gloria Swanson never met.

1. Brian Jones survives or stays in Rolling Stones
2. John never met Yoko
3. George leaves Beatles (For Good) in 1969
4. John never gets shot/ George never gets cancer