Japanese AH-manga and anime!

I have read the Antartic Press comics about a different WW2 and outcome.Does anyone know of any OTHER Japanese AH stories other than WW 2 by the previous mentioned?

NapoleonXIV

Banned
As you phrase it, I'm not sure whether you mean just other alternate WWII or not involving WWII at all.

If you mean the former, no. I'm not terribly surprised at this, since WWII remains an area of some ambiguity in Japanese culture, but it is a little strange, since anime stories naturally court controversy. I'd like to hear of some too.

If you mean the latter, which are not alternate worlds really? The best example that immediately comes to mind is Full Metal Alchemist, but there's also Fooly Cooly (unless giant steam irons really are a prominent part of most Japanese cities ) and even InuYasha, (unless you are a fully practicing Shinto), among very many others.

Seem to remember

I seem to remember seeing a game about 20 years ago where WWII occurred and the Japanese weren't in China. They were an ally not an Axis member.

Well, Patlabor takes place in an alternate 1998-2002. It's funny...they have giant humanoid walking vehicles, but they're still using casette tapes and their computer technology is laughably primitive!

Oh...and you could probably knock a Labor out with an RPG-7. Maybe a micronuke such as the Davy Crockett (with 10-50 ton-equivalents) would have to be used in special circumstances...

Napoleon-I meant no WW2 at all.I could have been positive I saw an anime at a convention or saw a Japanese manga about an alternate earth.It has been so long.Thanks for comments!

Well, a lot of Mangas are more on the lines of Future History. But with some of the older works they got reached already the present.
Patlabor (as mentioned above) was done around '88 to '90. Back then it would classify as FH, now it morphed to AH :rolleyes:
Well, as far as Mangas are concerned, Masamune Shirow's works would mostly count as Future Histories.
Fullmetal Alchemist made on me for long the impression of being an AH setting (though in the end it was revealed as FH, but wasn`t bad either) :cool:
But apart from that I can't think of any Manga that works with a significantly alternate reality (other than some insignifant Kingdom of XYZ existing somewhere or the classical magic/demons/whatever exists but public doesn't know)
But maybe I'll remember something later.

Battle royale was a very good japanese novel set in a alternate Japan who won World War II and who start to send his children kill each other on a island. (Note : It was later adapat in another very good movie but set in the future)

What about the series in which a Tokyo police rookie has a minature Tank which she calls Napoleon?AH or future history?

Actually, from what I recall, Japan didn't win WWII in Battle Royale. Sometime after WWII, and possibly with US backing, some sort of fascist, totalitarian regime took power, and responded to the problem of violence in schools by dumping a randomly selected class on some island to kill each other off. Don't see how that would be a solution, but...

Howling Commandos...

Here is one ATL anime feature...It's called Jin-Roh: Wolf Brigade , wherein the Japanese were bombed with nuclear weapons at the end of the Second World War ...by Nazi Germany!! Check it out at:

http://www.jin-roh.net/

Romulus Augustulus said:
Actually, from what I recall, Japan didn't win WWII in Battle Royale. Sometime after WWII, and possibly with US backing, some sort of fascist, totalitarian regime took power, and responded to the problem of violence in schools by dumping a randomly selected class on some island to kill each other off. Don't see how that would be a solution, but...

Didn't really read the manga, saw both movies though. But if I remember correctly the US did launch a rocket at the island in BR2 and pressured the Japanese government into exterminating the terrorist group. So the possiblity of US-backing in that scenario is highly likely. The Japanese president in the movie also came across as a bit of a dolt, at least thats how I saw it, so he could also have been a US installed puppet as well. Might be going off on some radical tangent here but then again, the idea of a Battle Royal act is unbelievable in itself :p.

Does anyone have any idea of how dumping a randomly selected class on some island, sticking explosive collars on them, arming them and then telling them to kill each other until only one remains can possibly solve any problem?

Is that the novel where Battle Royale is alternate history? I have really never heard of that, which is weird...
I can't really think of many AH manga and films from Japan, A LOT of computer games though. In Japan where they do do AH its usually just secret history (or else very bad, ultra convergant AH).

One Japanese manga/anime AH may be 'Sakura Wars'. I'm not sure on the exact story but its some form of steam punk. But then it could be in a fictional world though I'm certain I remember hearing real nations mentioned in it.

A lot of Japanese sci fi makes good honorary AH, its just the kind of sci fi it is with not being too far out there a lot of the time.

Here is one ATL anime feature...It's called Jin-Roh: Wolf Brigade , wherein the Japanese were bombed with nuclear weapons at the end of the Second World War ...by Nazi Germany!! Check it out at:

http://www.jin-roh.net/
What he was talking about in the first post.

Leej said:
One Japanese manga/anime AH may be 'Sakura Wars'. I'm not sure on the exact story but its some form of steam punk. But then it could be in a fictional world though I'm certain I remember hearing real nations mentioned in it.

Sakura Wars started as a game, although it became an anime later. It's set on the early 20's(1923, IIRC).

Hendryk

Banned
Mr_ Bondoc said:
Here is one ATL anime feature...It's called Jin-Roh: Wolf Brigade , wherein the Japanese were bombed with nuclear weapons at the end of the Second World War ...by Nazi Germany!!
A very good animé, that one. Interesting depiction of a post-WW2 dictatorial Japan wracked by social agitation and terrorism. The fact that all characters use weapons of German design is a nice touch.

"Akira" qualifies as AH by now, as the destruction of Tokyo and WW3 were supposed to happen in 1988.

Some argue that Hayao Miyazaki's "Kiki's Delivery Service" takes place in a TL in which there was no WW2. Despite the presence of items such as transistor radios, black-and-white TVs and supermarkets, one only sees propeller-driven airplanes, and even, at one point, a 1930s-type passenger biplane; also, airships seem much more common. Further, the Mitteleuropa-style town in which the story takes place, which looks like a crossover between Vienna and Ljubljana, has obviously been spared any form of strategic bombing judging from the condition of its older buildings.
This being said, it also takes place in a TL in which magic actually exists, so...

Hendryk

Banned
Faeelin said:
Do the Chinese have anything like anime?
They are beginning to develop their own brand of manga, but no animé that I'm aware of yet, except if you count the pioneering feature "Princess Iron Fan" (1941), which by some accounts is the third full-length animated movie ever made, and of course such classics as "The Monkey King defeats Prince Nezha" (1964). The Koreans, OTOH, are getting pretty good at animé.