Into the Cincoverse - The Cinco de Mayo EU Thread and Wikibox Repository

Love seeing more recent political events; it's interesting that whether the California Assembly is unicameral or bicameral is never mentioned...
Based on politicians named and what we know of the ICP, it seems like in the modern day the Liberals=OTL GOP and Democrats are fairly similar, but I would not be surprised if some of the partisan coalitions are a bit different in this America. Unless the Liberals pulled some sort of "Western Strategy" at some point, the Plains and Mountain West should still be solidly Democratic. Combined with the longer survival of urban machines, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Democratic Party had some more moderate / social conservative factions in it. Obviously the right wing/left wing divide would still exist, but even without the South there are still going to be people like Bob Casey Sr., of Planned Parenthood v. Casey fame. I'm interested to see what politics looks like going forward here, especially since the other shoe seems to be dropping for the Libs.

(Lot going on here with some heavy Easter eggs; really just trying to capture the vibe of the OTL 1990s a bit, between the Redford-as-progressive-Reagan, California being California, and introducing the populist party of the right that has emerged to harass the Liberals)
When the time comes, you should write a newspaper entry when Ronald Reagan dies of choking by a monkey 😉

Love seeing more recent political events; it's interesting that whether the California Assembly is unicameral or bicameral is never mentioned...
Thanks! And yes, such lack of mention is intentional...
Based on politicians named and what we know of the ICP, it seems like in the modern day the Liberals=OTL GOP and Democrats are fairly similar, but I would not be surprised if some of the partisan coalitions are a bit different in this America. Unless the Liberals pulled some sort of "Western Strategy" at some point, the Plains and Mountain West should still be solidly Democratic. Combined with the longer survival of urban machines, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Democratic Party had some more moderate / social conservative factions in it. Obviously the right wing/left wing divide would still exist, but even without the South there are still going to be people like Bob Casey Sr., of Planned Parenthood v. Casey fame. I'm interested to see what politics looks like going forward here, especially since the other shoe seems to be dropping for the Libs.
You're right that when I research politicians then "GOP = Libs" is the default, though idk that I'd agree that there could never be a Western breakthrough. There's a big difference in economy, culture, and a whole host of other factors in Idaho vs. Kansas, for instance, and the Canadian West and Australian Bush flipped from the left to the right for a variety of reasons iOTL.

That said, as I like to say, to understand the politics of CDM USA, just know that Marin County, California is still a Liberal stronghold, while Mahoning County, Ohio is still a Democratic one, if you want an idea of who is in each party. So Casey Sr. would be a very natural fit for this TL's Democrats; it'd probably also be the case that in some ways (like on reproductive health and urban law-and-order in states with large Catholic populations, for instance) Democrats are probably more conservative on average, whereas in others (like whether Jews and Chinese should be allowed in your country club or a host of other professional middle class motte-and-baily issues) Liberals are more conservative, and critically these groups don't really overlap in who they vote for.

By Caribbean I mean the Guianas, which iOTL are in CONCACAF

Yeah, some mix of USA/Canada/Quebec dominate women’s hockey, with Sweden maybe just a ring below. Norway believe it or not is actually not much of a hockey power
Ah. Still don't understand if there is a reason it isn't CONCACAF ittl.

BTW, for additional fun in Spelling. British Guyana in German is spelled the same in German: Guyana. But French Guiana in German is Französisch-Guayana.

Does the United States have any objections to Germany (or Italy) taking French Possession in the western Hemisphere?

Thanks! And yes, such lack of mention is intentional...
In keeping with the Canada analogues, It would be pretty interesting ITTL if California was transformed into an Canadian Province. Instead of the Governor wielding power OTL . Perhaps a Prime Minister of California and a mostly ceremonial Governor

The Governor has a fixed 4 year term with a term limit of two (Like OTL) It's mostly ceremonial but has the power to call elections and dismiss the prime minister at will. The PM will be reliant on a unicameral California Assembly (Since California is BIG, maybe like 200 or 300 seats). He's is reponsible for governing the state, forming a cabinet, passing legistration with the governor's assent (Like the OTL royal assent in constitutional monarchies). Like the governor, a four year term but can be shorter with snap elections, dismissal, etc.

(My Idea, but feel free to comment on it King)

Ah. Still don't understand if there is a reason it isn't CONCACAF ittl.
My apologies, it is - just emphasizing that that part of South America is not in CONAME
BTW, for additional fun in Spelling. British Guyana in German is spelled the same in German: Guyana. But French Guiana in German is Französisch-Guayana.

Does the United States have any objections to Germany (or Italy) taking French Possession in the western Hemisphere?
Good question. They... might? It depends on the possession.

Germany seizing French Guiana, especially with Venezuela so heavily influenced by Germany and the ABC Islands being German, is probably a different story than Martinique becoming, say, Martinica.

My apologies, it is - just emphasizing that that part of South America is not in CONAME

Good question. They... might? It depends on the possession.

Germany seizing French Guiana, especially with Venezuela so heavily influenced by Germany and the ABC Islands being German, is probably a different story than Martinique becoming, say, Martinica.

They might. But you know what they WOULDN'T have a problem with? Said territory being transfered to Germany's co-belligerent, Haiti (which would work out well, as it would deny France the territory, and would strengthen a country which has close economic and diplomatic ties to both the United States and Germany).

Listen: I am fighting hard to get a stronger Kingdom of Haiti to come out of the CEW - it gets the ruinous French payments gone, gains French (and maybe Danish?) territory in the Carribean and probably even gets war indemnity payments - potentially even more investment from German and American bankers (the latter of whom would likely see Haiti as a good bulwark in case the Confederacy every pulls itself back together and becomes a threat). All of which would probably go a long way to helping to strengthen the nation's economy and really help it avoid some of the worst pitfalls of OTL. It'll never become a regional power, but it COULD develop into a stable and economically viable country. Vive l'Haiti!

That said, as I like to say, to understand the politics of CDM USA, just know that Marin County, California is still a Liberal stronghold, while Mahoning County, Ohio is still a Democratic one, if you want an idea of who is in each party.
That's a brutal trade-off for the Dems compared to OTL and that's all I'm gonna say about that lest I invoke the wrath of the gods, errr, mods.

They might. But you know what they WOULDN'T have a problem with? Said territory being transfered to Germany's co-belligerent, Haiti (which would work out well, as it would deny France the territory, and would strengthen a country which has close economic and diplomatic ties to both the United States and Germany).

Listen: I am fighting hard to get a stronger Kingdom of Haiti to come out of the CEW - it gets the ruinous French payments gone, gains French (and maybe Danish?) territory in the Carribean and probably even gets war indemnity payments - potentially even more investment from German and American bankers (the latter of whom would likely see Haiti as a good bulwark in case the Confederacy every pulls itself back together and becomes a threat). All of which would probably go a long way to helping to strengthen the nation's economy and really help it avoid some of the worst pitfalls of OTL. It'll never become a regional power, but it COULD develop into a stable and economically viable country. Vive l'Haiti!
Dan’s Haitian dream lives on!
That's a brutal trade-off for the Dems compared to OTL and that's all I'm gonna say about that lest I invoke the wrath of the gods, errr, mods.
Considering the socioeconomic contexts and demographic realignment IOTL? Absolutely, and it’s a big part of what caused Democrats such problems after 1968.

In a scenario where places like Youngstown maintain their population base better in a more successful post-industrial transition, and major cities don’t see their 1950-10 massive population hemorrhaging, AND you can regularly (though it always and not everywhere) get above 50% of the vote in rural counties? It’s a bit more of a wash, I’d say.

EDIT: the reason I bring up Marin specifically is that inread A comment once, I forget where, that compared the demographics and politics of West Point Grey in Vancouver to Marin and pointed out that in Canada’s more class-based politics, these types of areas are BC Liberal/Tory ridings (or at least were ten years ago, I don’t think they necessarily are anymore), but because the ardent social conservatism of US politics stemming from the South’s export of their culture nationwide starting in the late 1970s, such areas naturally vote Democratic in response

Last edited:

But who will be King?
Yeah none of this requires Haiti to become a kingdom in order to come to fruition. Otherwise I agree that the rationale makes sense.

Which reminds me, how did Haiti come out of the GAW? Were they actually in the war and if so, were treaties signed? (I was sort of hoping Haiti would get the Florida Keys)

Which reminds me, how did Haiti come out of the GAW? Were they actually in the war and if so, were treaties signed? (I was sort of hoping Haiti would get the Florida Keys)
Once the Confederate “Wolfpack” commerce raiding was ended after the CSN had its collective dicks kicked in at Hilton Head I kind of forgot about Haiti lol

Yeah none of this requires Haiti to become a kingdom in order to come to fruition. Otherwise I agree that the rationale makes sense.
Whoever the leader is who is in charge during the war. Haiti has a history of strong leaders declaring themselves kings or Emperors, and considering that Monarchism is stronger in Latin America and seen as more stable in Europe ... it kinda makes sense (especially since the Catholic Church in this ATL is probably more Pro-Monarchist as well).

Last edited:
In terms of real-world impact, Dannemyer v. California ended attempts to recall Congressmen and Senators entirely, a phenomenon that had been gradually gaining steam since the backlash to the Bribesville scandals of the era,

Does this mean that we'll get a US-version of the Tangentopoli scandal sometime in the 80s and 90s at the federal level or at the state level?

Last edited: