Interesting AH ideas that aren't commonly used

McPherson

Banned
That would have given the Lightning a hell of a punch. With that quad-pack how much ammunition do you think could have been carried?

In firing seconds? About 15 seconds at Russian rates of fire (200 rounds 20 mm. per barrel). To get your 30 seconds you use a splitter switch and fire upper tray guns first and then your lower tray guns as you dive. Guess why? In addition though you have to design starboard and port feed from your ammo trays. The squirrel cages will have to have a lot of pull to lift the belts up and over the feed ramp and cycle through to keep belt link kink from occurring.

How about an ASB evolutionary change so that human fingerprints are all identical? To make it really complicated, we could also make it possible to extract DNA for comparison and identification purposes?

On the subject of a movement post-WWII to include all people subject to US rule as voting citizens via amendment to give non-states equivalent electoral status to state residents:

This was prompted by the suggestion of the USA obtaining Goa, which by the way remains very problematic but it might be fun to work it out. It would annoy the British but I think overall it would be papered over, because at the end of the day obtaining all three Portuguese south Asian holdings would not really upset the British system that much.

Post Civil War, Britain increasingly came around to the idea that the USA was too valuable a trading partner, investment opportunity and potential strategic ally to alienate too much. While I don't think it is very probable that a deal with Portugal can be made to happen at all, my notion is that it happens in the 1880s, particularly in the Harrison Administration. One President of the period who would want nothing to do with such a deal would be Grover Cleveland, who was anti-imperialist. But if Harrison could get it through the Republican controlled Senate of the day, Cleveland might find himself not much able to do anything about it.

Of the three possessions, Macao seems to be one that Portugal would hang on to through thick and thin. Just as well, since including Macao throws the whole timeline for a tizzy in 1949 and after...but in an optimistic version of the proposal, Truman gets the Amendment done well before then. If the USA has Macao on any terms, we are quite unlikely to fail to defend it, regardless of how it is administered. If we don't have it at all, then we can consider just the ATL mode of representation in isolation, since neither Timor nor Goa seem likely to seriously derail larger historical trends. The latter makes for some drama and tension with Britain for a time, but I think the isolation and peripheral nature of the holding, relative to large American concerns, would allow a modus viviendi to work out pretty soon and after that not much needs to change if that is what we want.

If we want major change as the point, Macao makes for it.

Anyway I mentioned a plan B--Truman's effort to get American non-state territory holdings regularized and settle the mess of the Insular Cases and so forth, for reasons of global US prestige and leadership mainly, and because of ideological notions connected to his New Deal common man mentality, fail. But the idea is put out there as part of the general Civil Rights era agenda. It sits as an idea stirring up some controversy through the 1950s, and then if we can assume a TL reasonably close to OTL, it gets swept up in the momentum of LBJ's Great Society in the mid-1960s. There are those who dislike that whole package, but there are few landslide elections in US history more trouncingly decisive than Johnson's win in 1964. This era gave rise to DC getting Presidential EV OTL, and I suggest that the Truman proposal gets the dust blown off it and takes the place of this. By then, Alaska and Hawaii will already have been admitted as regular states.

I therefore looked at the demographics. Now if the USA takes possession of all or some of the three Portuguese territories, that will change the demographics. On the whole I would expect some increase in population in Goa, due to Indians seeking to take refuge in US administration, despite some negatives, but part of the achievement of normalizing the mess that acquiring Goa would make with British relations is that the US policy would be somewhat exclusionary. World War II would change the rules. Timor will probably have a bigger population growth but it will be largely a backwater, especially after the USA acquires the Philippines, so no great drama, and its population would probably suffer at least as much if not more from the Japanese occupation. OTL the Japanese treated Macao rather carefully at least at the start, but the gloves will be off in the ATL if it is a US holding.

So my population estimates for all three are pretty wild guesswork, only somewhat guided by OTL populations which are rather vaguely counted themselves. However, all of them, even Timor the smallest, are quite substantial by standards of US states! Each is much smaller than Puerto Rico, but larger than many states. To my surprise, I find that if we control the increase in the size of Congress so as to maintain the same number of Representatives for the established states, 48 in 1940s using the 1940 Census, or 50 in the '60s using the 1960 Census, then actually in either case we'd add just 15 House seats in the '40s or 14 in the '60s. This includes DC, which by the way gets not one but two Representatives in either decade! It turns out that Puerto Rico remains about the same size as Oklahoma or Connecticut in both cases, and gets 6 Representatives, and the Portuguese legacy Commonwealths are also remarkably stable relative to the other states...Macao I am assuming has a smaller population than OTL, due to American policy preventing much of the immigration the Portuguese have permitted, because Macao is said to be the most densely populated place on Earth and I suspect American authorities would prefer to mitigate that a bit. Thus it winds up with only one House member in the 1960s, as its population is held stable at around half a million. But in the 1940s it would have two seats. Timor starts out in the 1940s being worthy of just one seat but with a higher population growth than OTL, due to a more benign and richer US presence probably including some active bases funneling money into the local economy, has at a guess some 850,000 people by 1960--it could be more since I didnt consider the actual military base populations! Assuming geo-politics like OTL there is some worry about Indonesian policy under Surkarno putting the possession in some jeopardy, but the coup of 1965 would banish these fears; Indonesia had good relations with the USA after that. As for Goa, I assumed pretty high growth there since the possession turns out to be much larger in area than I thought; I assumed it was just a city like Macao but it actually has a lot of hinterland. However it is still walled off from the rest of India by strong US borders, so I figured it would have reached a solid million in population by 1960, and that is probably a large underestimate. It too would be worthy of 2 House seats, more if it is much larger.

Overall then, we wind up with 15 or 14 more House seats, bearing in mind one more for the other Territories. And six more Senate bailwicks than OTL, bearing in mind I propose the Territories having one Senator only. Thus we wind up with 562 Presidential EV in 1940's, or 561 in the '60s, which is quite a modest increase over OTL's 538.

Given a very lopsided liberal mandate in the mid-60s, I think the Amendment could sail through then if not the 1940s. The three Portuguese legacy regions would become Commonwealths instead of states, on the Puerto Rican model albeit with representation in Congress and for Presidential elections PR does not enjoy yet OTL.

The hard and fast rule is, I think the USA would be reluctant to admit states in which the overwhelming majority of the population does not have English as their first language, though people in all four proposed Commonwealths would be fairly proficient in English as a second language. As Commonwealths they would be subject to stronger rule by Congress than states are, but on the other hand have considerable local autonomy too. Each is culturally unique and different from any other place in the American system.

If it is agreed Macao is too much of a wild card, and pointed out Macao is a territory Portugal administers to this very day, unlike Goa or Timor, and was profitable to Portugal, we can hew much closer to OTL in terms of global relationships and probable near identical geopolitical events. For that scenario, subtract one or two Congressmembers, and two more Senators and thus three or four EV for 558 altogether, just twenty more than OTL. Timor and Goa on the other hand I can see the Portuguese letting go, at least for a whole lot of money and other considerations. Either way, while all three are larger than I thought, they don't disturb the balances in Congress a whole lot.

Genetic point of departure. Queen Victoria and which of her children were either afflicted with hemophilia or were carriers. If Princess Royal Victoria were a carrier and Princess Alice was not. If Edward or Alfred had inherited the condition. As examples.

McPherson

Banned
On the subject of a movement post-WWII to include all people subject to US rule as voting citizens via amendment to give non-states equivalent electoral status to state residents:

This was prompted by the suggestion of the USA obtaining Goa, which by the way remains very problematic but it might be fun to work it out. It would annoy the British but I think overall it would be papered over, because at the end of the day obtaining all three Portuguese south Asian holdings would not really upset the British system that much.

Not even in an ASB reality which is what Goa actually is; does this follow. India was so central to British economic interests that any intrusion that upsets the British setup will provoke a severe reaction.

Post Civil War, Britain increasingly came around to the idea that the USA was too valuable a trading partner, investment opportunity and potential strategic ally to alienate too much. While I don't think it is very probable that a deal with Portugal can be made to happen at all, my notion is that it happens in the 1880s, particularly in the Harrison Administration. One President of the period who would want nothing to do with such a deal would be Grover Cleveland, who was anti-imperialist. But if Harrison could get it through the Republican controlled Senate of the day, Cleveland might find himself not much able to do anything about it.

Interestingly most of the American navy that fought the Spanish American War was built during the Cleveland Administration.

Of the three possessions, Macao seems to be one that Portugal would hang on to through thick and thin. Just as well, since including Macao throws the whole timeline for a tizzy in 1949 and after...but in an optimistic version of the proposal, Truman gets the Amendment done well before then. If the USA has Macao on any terms, we are quite unlikely to fail to defend it, regardless of how it is administered. If we don't have it at all, then we can consider just the ATL mode of representation in isolation, since neither Timor nor Goa seem likely to seriously derail larger historical trends. The latter makes for some drama and tension with Britain for a time, but I think the isolation and peripheral nature of the holding, relative to large American concerns, would allow a modus viviendi to work out pretty soon and after that not much needs to change if that is what we want.

Wedemeyer would torpedo this notion with just five words; "Not defensible against the Chinese."

If we want major change as the point, Macao makes for it.

barrow-john-a-plan-of-the-city-and-harbour-of-macao-a-colony-of-the-portugu_1.jpg

See the problem? Either as A MILITARY or commercial port it is a non-starter.

Anyway I mentioned a plan B--Truman's effort to get American non-state territory holdings regularized and settle the mess of the Insular Cases and so forth, for reasons of global US prestige and leadership mainly, and because of ideological notions connected to his New Deal common man mentality, fail. But the idea is put out there as part of the general Civil Rights era agenda. It sits as an idea stirring up some controversy through the 1950s, and then if we can assume a TL reasonably close to OTL, it gets swept up in the momentum of LBJ's Great Society in the mid-1960s. There are those who dislike that whole package, but there are few landslide elections in US history more trouncingly decisive than Johnson's win in 1964. This era gave rise to DC getting Presidential EV OTL, and I suggest that the Truman proposal gets the dust blown off it and takes the place of this. By then, Alaska and Hawaii will already have been admitted as regular states.

Geopolitics and human rights are a poor mix at the best of times especially against enemies who do not believe in them. LBJ certainly tried to couple the two notions and Truman DID NOT, so I do not understand this attempt to couple the two concepts and inveigle them in American domestic political trends as an ATL. We had a dosage RTL of that coupling in Vietnam, and its disastrous results.

I therefore looked at the demographics. Now if the USA takes possession of all or some of the three Portuguese territories, that will change the demographics. On the whole I would expect some increase in population in Goa, due to Indians seeking to take refuge in US administration, despite some negatives, but part of the achievement of normalizing the mess that acquiring Goa would make with British relations is that the US policy would be somewhat exclusionary. World War II would change the rules. Timor will probably have a bigger population growth but it will be largely a backwater, especially after the USA acquires the Philippines, so no great drama, and its population would probably suffer at least as much if not more from the Japanese occupation. OTL the Japanese treated Macao rather carefully at least at the start, but the gloves will be off in the ATL if it is a US holding.
If Timor winds up anything like the Sulu Sultanate, it will be an ongoing festering colonial rebellion from day one. No thank you. Our nation has enough colonial sins to stain its history. Let the Portuguese and their successors keep that mess.
So my population estimates for all three are pretty wild guesswork, only somewhat guided by OTL populations which are rather vaguely counted themselves. However, all of them, even Timor the smallest, are quite substantial by standards of US states! Each is much smaller than Puerto Rico, but larger than many states. To my surprise, I find that if we control the increase in the size of Congress so as to maintain the same number of Representatives for the established states, 48 in 1940s using the 1940 Census, or 50 in the '60s using the 1960 Census, then actually in either case we'd add just 15 House seats in the '40s or 14 in the '60s. This includes DC, which by the way gets not one but two Representatives in either decade! It turns out that Puerto Rico remains about the same size as Oklahoma or Connecticut in both cases, and gets 6 Representatives, and the Portuguese legacy Commonwealths are also remarkably stable relative to the other states...Macao I am assuming has a smaller population than OTL, due to American policy preventing much of the immigration the Portuguese have permitted, because Macao is said to be the most densely populated place on Earth and I suspect American authorities would prefer to mitigate that a bit. Thus it winds up with only one House member in the 1960s, as its population is held stable at around half a million. But in the 1940s it would have two seats. Timor starts out in the 1940s being worthy of just one seat but with a higher population growth than OTL, due to a more benign and richer US presence probably including some active bases funneling money into the local economy, has at a guess some 850,000 people by 1960--it could be more since I didnt consider the actual military base populations! Assuming geo-politics like OTL there is some worry about Indonesian policy under Surkarno putting the possession in some jeopardy, but the coup of 1965 would banish these fears; Indonesia had good relations with the USA after that. As for Goa, I assumed pretty high growth there since the possession turns out to be much larger in area than I thought; I assumed it was just a city like Macao but it actually has a lot of hinterland. However it is still walled off from the rest of India by strong US borders, so I figured it would have reached a solid million in population by 1960, and that is probably a large underestimate. It too would be worthy of 2 House seats, more if it is much larger.

If one gives them Congressional representation, then take them into the Union. That is the way it is constitutionally mandated. That is the core law. And there is no reason to give the federal district any representation. The Founders deliberately excluded the federal district to prevent the minions of the central government undue influence.

Overall then, we wind up with 15 or 14 more House seats, bearing in mind one more for the other Territories. And six more Senate bailwicks than OTL, bearing in mind I propose the Territories having one Senator only. Thus we wind up with 562 Presidential EV in 1940's, or 561 in the '60s, which is quite a modest increase over OTL's 538.

Not the way the American system works.

Given a very lopsided liberal mandate in the mid-60s, I think the Amendment could sail through then if not the 1940s. The three Portuguese legacy regions would become Commonwealths instead of states, on the Puerto Rican model albeit with representation in Congress and for Presidential elections PR does not enjoy yet OTL.

And they should not. They are not STATES. IOW ASB.

The hard and fast rule is, I think the USA would be reluctant to admit states in which the overwhelming majority of the population does not have English as their first language, though people in all four proposed Commonwealths would be fairly proficient in English as a second language. As Commonwealths they would be subject to stronger rule by Congress than states are, but on the other hand have considerable local autonomy too. Each is culturally unique and different from any other place in the American system.

Louisiana (1812)

If it is agreed Macao is too much of a wild card, and pointed out Macao is a territory Portugal administers to this very day, unlike Goa or Timor, and was profitable to Portugal, we can hew much closer to OTL in terms of global relationships and probable near identical geopolitical events. For that scenario, subtract one or two Congressmembers, and two more Senators and thus three or four EV for 558 altogether, just twenty more than OTL. Timor and Goa on the other hand I can see the Portuguese letting go, at least for a whole lot of money and other considerations. Either way, while all three are larger than I thought, they don't disturb the balances in Congress a whole lot.

Admitted AS STATES 6 senators make a substantial difference in a body of 56. We fought a Civil War over that kind of political shift of power.

1972 - France again blocks the UK's entry to the EEC. They also block Ireland. Heath takes this very personally and resigns. The Tory government falls earlier than IOTL. Maudling is elected leader but almost immediately is forced to resign over a financial scandal involving architect John Paulson and contracts with the Saudi Government. The Tories approach the Liberals who broker a deal with Roy Jenkins to form a National Union party. In the March 1973 election, a number of centrist Labour MPs are unopposed and agree to take the NU whip. Labour are heavily defeated. Jenkins becomes PM and begins talks with the new US president Ed Muskie (who had seen off a dirty tricks campaign in the primaries). Muskie offers substantial aid and investment in return for access to bases for US forces in Cyprus, the Indian Ocean, Persian Gulf and elsewhere. The new special relationship flourished and in 1975 a proposal was tabled to offer statehood to the UK's countries. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were made states in their own right with 2 senators and 6 congressmen (in Scotland) and 3 each in Wales and NI. England was to be split into London and the South East with 2 senators and 27 members of congress. The remainder of the UK was to be split into three states each with 2 senators and 16 congressmen.

McPherson

Banned
1972 - France again blocks the UK's entry to the EEC. They also block Ireland. Heath takes this very personally and resigns. The Tory government falls earlier than IOTL. Maudling is elected leader but almost immediately is forced to resign over a financial scandal involving architect John Paulson and contracts with the Saudi Government. The Tories approach the Liberals who broker a deal with Roy Jenkins to form a National Union party. In the March 1973 election, a number of centrist Labour MPs are unopposed and agree to take the NU whip. Labour are heavily defeated. Jenkins becomes PM and begins talks with the new US president Ed Muskie (who had seen off a dirty tricks campaign in the primaries). Muskie offers substantial aid and investment in return for access to bases for US forces in Cyprus, the Indian Ocean, Persian Gulf and elsewhere. The new special relationship flourished and in 1975 a proposal was tabled to offer statehood to the UK's countries. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were made states in their own right with 2 senators and 6 congressmen (in Scotland) and 3 each in Wales and NI. England was to be split into London and the South East with 2 senators and 27 members of congress. The remainder of the UK was to be split into three states each with 2 senators and 16 congressmen.

It is outrageously such good fun that it might be one of the best comedy ATLs to be proposed. I can see President Ed Muskie explaining to the Texas delegation the proper etiquette with regards to her majesty the queen, who AFAIK is not prohibited from exercising her office as English sovereign as long as the English government is a "republican constitutional monarchy". I might think that England comes in as a whole state on its own like another California, maybe, which would be the only change in the premise I dare suggest to really make the comedy roll.

It is outrageously such good fun that it might be one of the best comedy ATLs to be proposed. I can see President Ed Muskie explaining to the Texas delegation the proper etiquette with regards to her majesty the queen, who AFAIK is not prohibited from exercising her office as English sovereign as long as the English government is a "republican constitutional monarchy". I might think that England comes in as a whole state on its own like another California, maybe, which would be the only change in the premise I dare suggest to really make the comedy roll.
Governors of England:
Elizabeth Windsor (Indipendent) 1976-current

Imagine the impact on US internal politics if all the (former UK) senators voted as bloc....

Now that I think about it, there are surprisingly few Trotsky victory USSR timelines considering how popular a question it is to raise.

Now that I think about it, there are surprisingly few Trotsky victory USSR timelines considering how popular a question it is to raise.
Well, there are many reasons Trotsky was working at a disadvantage in the Soviet Bolshevik Party even if one sets theoretical ideological differences completely aside. My reading of Trotsky is that he was pretty orthodox by Lenin's standards...by 1917. But earlier splits had him on opposite sides from Lenin, and the majority of ranking Party members surviving the Civil War had that as a handy excuse to cover other reasons for disliking him. He was not a great politician quite evidently! His prominent role in the Red Army in the Civil War was held against him...everyone fights the last war, and for Marxists the "Brumiare," Marx's analysis of the trajectory of the 1848 revolution in France against Louis Phillipe of Orleans leading to Louis Bonaparte dissolving the Second Republic and inaugurating the Second Empire as Napoleon III is classic reading to this day. Combined with their analysis of how the original Napoleon Bonaparte wound up as the first Emperor, the Bolsheviks were extremely wary of dashing and successful military leaders, believing that history could easily be reprised a third time in the same way. And of course he was Jewish. This was hardly a fatal disability among Bolsheviks and it was grossly out of line with basic Marxist-Leninist doctrine to admit to bigotry frankly against Jews as such...but the runners of the regime were pretty adept at coming up with pretexts they agreed among themselves were plausibly deniable that just happened, for entirely unrelated reasons, to come down hard on Jews. And meanwhile unreconstructed plain frank bigotry was hardly suppressed in casual language either. So quite a lot of Bolshevik Jews went very far, but there was a glass ceiling preventing them from supremacy, and they were often singled out as fall guys too.

I'd follow a TL that skillfully faced all these liabilities and worked out a path to leadership for him anyway, but it is a tough row to hoe. The plausible thing is that he cannot reach such a height.

I'll throw out one: what if the US told the Germans to stick it in their ear, and no Operation Paperclip? Because whitewashing a bunch of Nazis into being non-political space pioneers for the press and bringing them to live a Ozzy and Harriet life in the US was controversial even to the powers that be that made it happen. And it would not mean instant Russian victory to have avoided Operation Paperclip.

McPherson

Banned
Why is a journalist “irresponsible” for reporting on threat exchanges between Pakistani & Indian officials? Am I misreading something?

Yellow Journalism (The term was coined among Americans to describe the Hearst/Pulitzer competition for circulation that led them to exaggerate and create "fake news" in Cuba to whip popular opinion for war against Spain ~ 1895-1898. Yes I am aware of the racist connotations associated with it, but I cannot help what the people of the time called it. We can call it the "sensationalist press" from here on in.)

in India.

In Pakistan.

Example...1

Example...2

Some reporters and correspondents indulge in using fake or doctored videos, concocted and distorted stories to create sensationalism. This scribe observed a certain reporter coming across the visiting Indian Minister for External Affairs in a hotel corridor, many moons ago. The reporter said “good morning” to the Indian Minister. The visitor responded “good morning”. This was the total contact between the two but the next morning, an exclusive interview of the visiting Indian External Affairs Minister was published in the daily, to which the reporter contributed.

In the recent past, an english daily of high repute, published the proceedings of a classified national security meeting. Reporting on the proceedings of the classified meeting would have been tantamount to breaching the Official Secrets Act but what is worse is that the reporter concocted the details of the meeting.

Pakistan is facing one of the biggest challenges to its existence. Narendra Modi, the extremist Indian Prime Minister, his secret agency RAW, India’s fanatic Hindu organisation Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and Ajit Doval et-al are breathing fire and brimstone, threatening to decimate Pakistan. Modi has declared open season for Baloch separatists and alleged insurgents in Gilgit, Baltistan, Azad Jammu and Kashmir. Purported “surgical strikes” against assumed terror camps in Azad Kashmir have been launched by Indian troops. India is also intimidating Pakistan with a water war. Under the influence of Indian lobbying, two US Congressmen have tabled a bill to have Pakistan declared a “Terrorist State”. Another proposal to outlaw some Pakistani organisations by the UN was blocked by China using its power of veto. Afghanistan is blaming Pakistan for all its woes and blackballing it at every international forum. The Afghan government has jacked up transit tax on Pakistani goods by 100 percent, prompting the transporters to go on strike and creating a crisis like situation.

Under the current hostile milieu, it is essential that the entire population of Pakistan, especially its government and law enforcing agencies are united to meet the threat head on. Unfortunately, the publication of the fabricated story providing details of the government and the military, not being on the same page in the war on terror has made the situation murkier. It was a speculative story, which the author of the news item himself failed to corroborate and the office of the Prime Minister and Chief Minister Punjab had to issue rebuttals to the story.

What is alarming is that the story was not published in any rag tag tabloid but a leading English daily, which was founded by the Quaid-e-Azam himself and whose Chief Editor was Shaheed-e-Millat Nawabzada Liaquat Ali Khan.

The daily did publish the formal rebuttals to the fictional exposé, bordering on yellow journalism, issued by the respective spokespersons of the central and provincial governments but the damage was serious since the editor of the daily stood by the veracity of the report. Such a sensational news item professing chinks in Pakistan’s armour was like milk and honey to India, whose media blew the story out of proportions, hammering Pakistan with the alleged dissent between its lawmakers and defenders of Pakistan. As mentioned earlier, Indian media is already on the warpath insisting that Pakistan has a rogue army, which does not follow the diktats of the government but is culpable of sponsoring terrorism.

Under the prevailing circumstances, the local media, which is free and open, should also be objective and supportive of the national interest. Journalistic objectivity is a significant principle of journalistic professionalism. Journalistic objectivity can refer to fairness, disinterestedness, factuality, and nonpartisanship, but most often encompasses all of these qualities. Freedom does not entail fabricating or concocting stories. Some elements of the media do provide a spin or twist to stories, only to grab the attention of its readers or viewers but to base one’s stories on total falsehood amounts to deception and following the diktat of the Chanakyan dictums of guile and dishonesty.

The government, on the other hand has also acted beyond its mandate by placing the name of the reporter on the Exit Control List. Such an extreme action is tantamount to curbing press freedom. If the government was displeased by the story, besides issuing repeated rebuttals, it could have spoken to the editor in chief of the daily and expressed its displeasure. By barring the reporter from international travel, human rights and press freedom organisations from around the world are pressurising the government to remove the travel ban and are expressing solidarity with the reporter.

Source: Pakistan Today

Now to be fair, it is not restricted to just the India/Pakistan War topic, nor are those two nations' second tier newspapers the only ones engaged in garbage reportage and irresponsible journalism. This condition persists almost everywhere.

McPherson

Banned
I'll throw out one: what if the US told the Germans to stick it in their ear, and no Operation Paperclip? Because whitewashing a bunch of Nazis into being non-political space pioneers for the press and bringing them to live a Ozzy and Harriet life in the US was controversial even to the powers that be that made it happen. And it would not mean instant Russian victory to have avoided Operation Paperclip.

We had van Karman and the JPL boys. So what if one of those guys was a devil worshipper and another one believed he was Emperor Norton the Third? They got us to the Moon and gave us the Grand Tour.

9/11-style terrorist attack occurs in the Soviet Union in 1989.

America still wins World War II, but the fight is much more brutal and the Soviets do better and get all the way to the Rhine. Americans decide another European war wasn't worth it and retreat into isolationism. Americans also don't really care about the Holocaust because the Soviets discovered all the camps and a lot of Americans either think they're Soviet propaganda or that Stalin is worse than Hitler. Essentially, Americans return to isolationism.