Independent Bali.

Bali was an independent hindu kingdom till Dutch conquest in 1908. Is there any way to have the kingdom survive and later became independent country after end of Dutch colonial empire.

Last edited:

ahmedali

Banned
You need to make Britain more hostile to the Netherlands (direct support to the Boers, for example)

If this happens, they will support not only Bali but also Aceh and any independent countries in the East Indies that the Netherlands did not subjugate.

Bali was an independent hindu kingdom till Dutch conquest in 1908. Is there any way to have the kingdom survive and later became independent country after end of Dutch colonial empire.
soekarno wouldn't let any part of the dutch east indies seperated from indonesia,

You nee something more. Other monarchies in Indonesia sans Yogyakarta were dissolved post-independence. At minimum, you need there to not be a World War II so that there is more leeway for the Dutch in the decolonization process and much less of an Indonesian identity among the populace.

You nee something more. Other monarchies in Indonesia sans Yogyakarta were dissolved post-independence. At minimum, you need there to not be a World War II so that there is more leeway for the Dutch in the decolonization process and much less of an Indonesian identity among the populace.
Aceh was given special autonomy like yogyakarta and I think one of the reasons why yogya was granted special economy is because the important role that city play in Indonesia independent

Bali was so decentralised that the Dutch already ruled most of the island by the mid-19th century since after 1700 or so, the Balinese king had little power outside of his religious role. So the only option is getting Bali colonised and having its independence restored where the Balinese king gains new political power as a constitutional monarch (in addition to his spiritual role).

Maybe the Dutch have plans to turn Indonesia into multiple dominions and one of these is Bali?
They tried. Dutch New Guinea was intended to be a separate country, and was...for less than a year. Indonesia moved in and occupied the coastal cities and then organized a "referendum". They'd do the same to Bali.

Maybe the Dutch have plans to turn Indonesia into multiple dominions and one of these is Bali?
Don't make me dream of a world in which decolonisation resulted in actual nation states and not an assortment of Neo-imperial Frankenstein's monsters, my poor heart can't take it.

Bali was so decentralised that the Dutch already ruled most of the island by the mid-19th century since after 1700 or so, the Balinese king had little power outside of his religious role. So the only option is getting Bali colonised and having its independence restored where the Balinese king gains new political power as a constitutional monarch (in addition to his spiritual role).
I guess a before 1900 POD that prevent the decentralisation of Bali is required for it to work.

That was sort of the idea with the "United States of Indonesia" , but Bali was only an autonomous region (possibly together with Lombok?) within the State of East Indonesia.....

soekarno wouldn't let any part of the dutch east indies seperated from indonesia,
I guess a before 1900 POD that prevent the decentralisation of Bali is required for it to work.
Why do you need a such an early POD?

Would a 1945 POD not work fine if somebody like Australia with the local army simply stopped the Dutch taking back control of it and decided that if the islands are almost certain to be going to go independent like India what every the Dutch try and fail, then a few weak kingdoms are far better to manage than a single powerful Indonesia?

1945 POD would not work since the Balinese were already put inside the conception of the Indonesian nationhood (keep in mind all the Dutch East Indies were put inside it except West Papua at this time).

Remember that with the exception of religion, Java and Bali are almost totally linked.

Last edited:
Why do you need a such an early POD?

Would a 1945 POD not work fine if somebody like Australia with the local army simply stopped the Dutch taking back control of it and decided that if the islands are almost certain to be going to go independent like India what every the Dutch try and fail, then a few weak kingdoms are far better to manage than a single powerful Indonesia?
Even if the Australia and the locals army somehow stop the dutch, what would make indonesia just invaded it later

Culturally java and bali is also different, the part of java that could be considered the same with bali is central java
southeast java (Blambangan) was basically a Bali outside Bali, but yes central java is also similar. High Mataram culture is Islamised Majapahit culture after all.

Since the 1900s Banyuwangi has been a center of NU Islam culture though, as examined here: https://nomadit.co.uk/conference/asa08/paper/3609

Basils

Banned
They tried. Dutch New Guinea was intended to be a separate country, and was...for less than a year. Indonesia moved in and occupied the coastal cities and then organized a "referendum". They'd do the same to Bali.
I guess remaining a colony or something like that would be the only option? Then later independence and being fully in the commonwealth. Perhaps an alliance with Malaysia too?

What about Bali trying to join India as a means of not joining Indonesia?
Okay, as an Indonesian, this is legit one of the strangest take I've ever heard. I doubt India at the time would be willing to take Bali as it was frankly a small island so far away from India and pissing off Indonesia, a much larger nation than Bali and a potential partner as a post-colonial nation. Even then, Hinduism in India and Bali are also very different.

Basils

Banned
Okay, as an Indonesian, this is legit one of the strangest take I've ever heard. I doubt India at the time would be willing to take Bali as it was frankly a small island so far away from India and pissing off Indonesia, a much larger nation than Bali and a potential partner as a post-colonial nation. Even then, Hinduism in India and Bali are also very different.
Well tbh we are throwing everything we can at the wall to see that sticks. India now would be seen as possibly a country that would Protect Hindu peoples. But as you said it is far away. India in the 40s had zero power projection and probably couldn’t send anything more than some is ash of destroyers and auxiliary ships. Even if they got to Bali, they couldn’t do much and couldn’t stop Indonesia. Or at least not stop Indonesia for very long. It’s asking a lot from India to risk in the world stage and at home with its people, for something that they have no hope in winning