In hindsight, should the WAllies not have helped the Soviets?

In hindsight would the US and Britain not helping the Soviets prevent the Cold War and the Iron Curtain along with putting them in a better position in general post war?

marathag

Banned
Helping them win was different from keeping them from losing

FDR thought Stalin could be a buddy and a positive force in the postwar world. Churchill knew better

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Helping them win was different from keeping them from losing

FDR thought Stalin could be a buddy and a positive force in the postwar world. Churchill knew better

Churchill's proposed intra-German border conceded more of Germany to Moscow than Roosevelt's.

Churchill was more willing to concede to Tito being the top dog in Yugoslavia than Roosevelt was.

Churchill also conceded specific "percentages" of influence in the Balkans to Stalin, while Roosevelt did not so the same.

-----------
In hindsight would the US and Britain not helping the Soviets prevent the Cold War and the Iron Curtain along with putting them in a better position in general post war?

Possible results include -

1) the Soviets end up with the same Iron Curtain or better, only they get it later
2) the Soviets collapse
3) the Soviets and Western Allies meet further east in Europe

All of 1, 2 and 3 are likely to result in a more successful Holocaust against occupied Europe's Jews, Gypsies, Poles, Russians, Ukrainians, Belarussians, Serbs, Greeks, maybe Czechs and Balts and more dead and crushed resistance members.

marathag

Banned
Possible results include -

1) the Soviets end up with the same Iron Curtain or better, only they get it later
2) the Soviets collapse
3) the Soviets and Western Allies meet further east in Europe

All of 1, 2 and 3 are likely to result in a more successful Holocaust against occupied Europe's Jews, Gypsies, Poles, Russians, Ukrainians, Belarussians, Serbs, Greeks, maybe Czechs and Balts and more dead and crushed resistance members.

USSR got billions in Lend Lease.
What could have the US and UK done with some of those billions on the Western Front?

1943 Invasion before the Atlantic Wall forts are built?

what would the western powers do? not much else .. it took time to ramp up.. build equipment and train for amphibious landings, to get all the material needed to invade mainland Europe.

Sure the Soviet government was not the greatest... but helping them was absolutely needed while England and the US got its crap together. remember the british and americans were engaged in the pacific as well.

Mainland invasion in 43 I think is questionable at best sometime late 43. Remember landing in france will mean facing the main german army head on and will get ugly. or should they take the southern France route? we were already engaged with Italy in late 43 and there is a lot of open water between Africa and southern France. should we invade Germany proper from the sea? that's pretty bold, but you still need to supply.

Remember, we are talking about a time when it took weeks to get a single division across the Atlantic, rejoin it with its equipment, and get it to the front.

Also of note was that while it was a moral booster to start, lend lease only starting making the critical impact in 43.

where the line is drawn depends on agreements, but if the soviets are just another combatant in a three way war where the west is not supporting them as an ally, well the soviets might go for broke and take what ever they want as far as they can achieve. changes the entire dynamic of the late war, this in turn will cost many more lives on both sides. The size of the Red Army in 45 was HUGE and a very big reason that no one wanted to press the soviets and trigger another war.

Note the Soviets lost over 8 million soldiers and another 22 million were wounded. toss in civilian deaths in german camps and the number is even higher.

by contrast the USA only lost around 440,000

I'm thinking on a humanitarian level that maybe we didn't do enough.

Last edited:
There are a lot of German troops around and their friends. Unless Hitler slips over on a banana skin and puts himself permanently out of action and whomever replaces him really sees fighting only as a last resort, someone is going to have to fight all those Axis troops, and the less the Russians are fighting, the more there are for everyone else.

Pangur

Donor
There are a lot of German troops around and their friends. Unless Hitler slips over on a banana skin and puts himself permanently out of action and whomever replaces him really sees fighting only as a last resort, someone is going to have to fight all those Axis troops, and the less the Russians are fighting, the more there are for everyone else.
Exactly right, basically the Germans bleed out in the East

marathag

Banned
Note the Soviets lost over 8 million soldiers and another 22 million were wounded. toss in civilian deaths in german camps and the number is even higher.

by contrast the USA only lost around 440,000

I'm thinking on a humanitarian level that maybe we didn't do enough.

Fight smarter, not fight to be the best bulletstopper of the War.
US motto was words to the effect of
'Never send a Man to do a job that a bomb or bullet can do better'

Rather than walking penal battalions across minefields to clear them, at gunpoint, by blocking detachments.
Institutionalized Cannon Fodder

And then cry about high numbers of deaths.:mad:

Faeelin

Banned
Depends on if you think the better outcome was more people dying and possibly a German state ruling eastern Europe.

Put another way, you're asking "WI The Holocaust went on for longer: Is it a better world?"

Fight smarter, not fight to be the best bulletstopper of the War.
US motto was words to the effect of
'Never send a Man to do a job that a bomb or bullet can do better'

Rather than walking penal battalions across minefields to clear them, at gunpoint, by blocking detachments.
Institutionalized Cannon Fodder

And then cry about high numbers of deaths.:mad:
I'm not saying the tactics were sound.. I'm saying the us mainland was never threatened.. That differences made a large difference.

the war was literal survival for most of eastern Europe.

a realing soviet union and purges didn't help either

Last edited:
Depends on if you think the better outcome was more people dying and possibly a German state ruling eastern Europe.

Put another way, you're asking "WI The Holocaust went on for longer: Is it a better world?"
I'm asking from the perspective of the UK/US governments not a moral question.

I dont have the numbers and its really amoral to even contemplate it but if in exchange for an extra year of holocaust we could have avoided communism in Central Europe (Czechslovakia, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria) and all the deaths and suffering it caused in the 40 years of its existence...

As I said I dont have the numbers but Im not sure which would have the lesser body count.

I'm not sure myself but I think some people are misinterpreting the idea of the thread, it's not about the Nazis winning instead of the Soviets but the Soviets winning anyway(which it seems to be the implicit supposition) but with the Iron Curtain running more East than IOTL.

The Allies helping the Soviets was perhaps the best thing they could have done. The worst thing they did was be naive about the reality of the Soviet Occupation.

All the indicators proved that the Soviets were going to occupy and setup puppet governments in support of Communism.

In current Germany, I have heard people claiming that Churchill said after the war "We have slaughtered the wrong pig" (translated back from German). I'm quite skeptical about this, though.

kernals12

Banned
In current Germany, I have heard people claiming that Churchill said after the war "We have slaughtered the wrong pig" (translated back from German). I'm quite skeptical about this, though.
Fake quote
https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/9-quotes-from-winston-churchill-that-are-totally-fake-1790585636

1. We butchered the wrong pig
According to numerous neo-Nazi websites, Winston Churchill later regretted his role in taking down the Nazis. The real enemy? The Soviet Union.

This quote was sent to me recently:

Germany’s unforgivable crime before the second world war was her attempt to extricate her economic power from the world’s trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit. We butchered the wrong pig.

The claim made here by neo-Nazis is that Churchill didn’t want to go to war with Germany and was forced to do so by shadowy financial figures (read: Jews). With “butchered the wrong pig” we’re meant to assume that Churchill would’ve preferred fighting the Soviets. But the quote is completely fake.

This quote appears to have been invented in 2001 and inserted into the foreword to a new edition of a book first written in 1938, Propaganda in the Next War. Since the book is out of copyright and the original author is dead, the new foreword could’ve been written by any lunatic with an account on a self-publishing site.

All we know for sure is that the quote doesn’t appear anywhere before 2001.

Deleted member 1487

I dont have the numbers and its really amoral to even contemplate it but if in exchange for an extra year of holocaust we could have avoided communism in Central Europe (Czechslovakia, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria) and all the deaths and suffering it caused in the 40 years of its existence...
Potentially East Asia as well. If the USSR is too weak to intervene against Japan after the European war is over and the Communists never take over China, that is tens of millions of lives saved from Mao's decisions and the Korean War and probably Vietnam. (This is assuming the Wallies throttle LL and don't have the USSR intervene against Japan to limit their influence post-war; the Nazis are still defeated).

The issue though is how much is Stalin going to tolerate in terms of lack of Wallied help before cutting a separate deal to avoid bleeding his country white?

Garrison

Donor
I'm not sure myself but I think some people are misinterpreting the idea of the thread, it's not about the Nazis winning instead of the Soviets but the Soviets winning anyway(which it seems to be the implicit supposition) but with the Iron Curtain running more East than IOTL.

Except there's no reason to suppose it would be further east. Weaken the USSR and the Nazi's can put more resources in the defence of Western Europe making Overlord altogether more fraught and there's no guarantee that the resources saved from L-L will speed the build up of forces for an invasion of Western Europe. I don't believe that L-L to the Soviets impeded that in any way, the bottlenecks were elsewhere.

The OP is also ignoring the possibility that the USSR makes a separate peace if they feel they've been abandoned by the Western powers. That was one of the things that drove the Allies to support the USSR after all, the threat of either a return to the situation before June 1941 or worse, a new Brest-Litovsk Treaty.