In Britannia Salutem

I was just looking at the map who are they in number 7 and are you thinking of having a new culture group crested from the Roman British, Anglo-Saxons and Scandinavian.

Funny thing England in otl had a very long history of a strong king followed by a weak one unlike the Capations miracle.

The Ostangles are an offshoot of the Angles who were forcibly taken East. There are several posts about their origin myths.
Britannia was their Holy Land so to speak because they remembered that some Angles had settled there.

The Ostangles are an offshoot of the Angles who were forcibly taken East. There are several posts about their origin myths.
Britannia was their Holy Land so to speak because they remembered that some Angles had settled there.
So are they part of the kingdom or will they be incorporated in the future?

Is a very interesting time you have picked because people forget how diverse England was in terms of different groups invading and settling in the British isles.

So are they part of the kingdom or will they be incorporated in the future?

Is a very interesting time you have picked because people forget how diverse England was in terms of different groups invading and settling in the British isles.
By the time the Vikings come the Ostanglians are as much a part of Prydannia as OTL Wales was OTL England. So basically some had quite a good relationship, others not so much. After the Vikings they became a part of the new Council structure. By ITTL 2000 AD they are a part of Prythland which does have the same relationship as Wales and England. So part of the same country but consider themselves as a distinct nation with its own language and culture.
In very rough terms Prydannia is "England", Prythland is "Wales",Norsaecs is lowland "Scotland" and Alba is highland "Scotland". As to Ireland, it's a separate country but tied by trade to the "United Lordships".

By the time the Vikings come the Ostanglians are as much a part of Prydannia as OTL Wales was OTL England. So basically some had quite a good relationship, others not so much. After the Vikings they became a part of the new Council structure. By ITTL 2000 AD they are a part of Prythland which does have the same relationship as Wales and England. So part of the same country but consider themselves as a distinct nation with its own language and culture.
In very rough terms Prydannia is "England", Prythland is "Wales",Norsaecs is lowland "Scotland" and Alba is highland "Scotland". As to Ireland, it's a separate country but tied by trade to the "United Lordships".
Nationalism wasn't really a thing in the dark ages and mediaeval time period it start early in the 13th century for England and accelerated during the 100 years war.

It's generally accepted that nationalism started in the 16th century.

Wales is a principality That is part of the kingdom of England by right of conquest and internationally its classed as a county not a country.

So when is the United Lordship creates is it during the Viking age? I would imagine that there would be a greater focus on trade with links to Scandinavia and the Viking train network to Constantinople and the Ukraine.

480 AD
Venta

The three men stood in the line of citizens waiting to give their complaints to a representative of the Council. Two more patiently than the other.

“This is taking forever” muttered one of the men

“Patience, there are obviously lots of complaints. I have been listening, difficulties in the water supply, lack of Watchmen on duty, the price of food”

The first man snorted gently

“Mundane things!”

“Sa, but essential to the smooth running of Venta. Things have gone to Hades. I really thought better of Findabair”

“If the tales are true she lost control of Llacheu quite early” replied the first.

The second just nodded although the other two could tell that he was upset. The third man exclaimed slightly.

“I can see a way to get where we want quicker. Stay in line”

The third man went up to a Watchman who was keeping an eye on the proceedings.

“What have you done to annoy Gordianus, Constans?”

The Watchman gave a start

“How do you know my name?”

The third man opened his hood slightly. Constans started.

“Don’t say anything. Can you get me and my companions to Christoforus? Or failing that Gordianus?”

Constans nodded

“They’ll both have a fit! However I think that you might find yourself in charge of the Watch again. Gordianus is not really up to all the administration”

“Nor was I”

“Sa, but you had Ianus.”

Constans turned to another watchman.

“Take over here, this man and his companions have information that Gordianus needs to hear”

The Watchman snorted

“He’ll have your head for leaving. Still it’s your life. You owe me a drink!”

Constans nodded and led Lucius back down the line.

“You two come with me”

The two other men nodded and followed Constans and Lucius out of the Council building to the Watch Headquarters. They could hear Gordianus from outside

“Where are the items that were placed with you for repair three weeks ago? You promised them by last week!”

“Costs have gone up and my workers have been sick” was the whined reply

“Get out and have them here by tomorrow or it will the worse for you!”

A small man scurried past them. Lucius raised an eyebrow

“He’s giving work to Venerix? That man cuts corners and provides shoddy workmanship”

“He is also the cheapest, there isn’t a lot of money at the moment”

Gordianus stood glaring after Venerix. Then he saw Constans,

“What are you doing here? I told you that you had to keep an eye on proceedings at the Council. Somebody is going to lose their temper and do something rash. My Office NOW!”

Constans and the three followed Gordianus.

“Why have you brought them with you? If they have a complaint they can make it to the duty Decurion”

“Your temper hasn’t improved Gordianus” noted Lucius as he threw back his hood.

Gordianus stood thunderstruck then approached Lucius with a broad grin on his face.

“So help me I’m glad to see you. Mithras alone knows how you and Ianus kept things running so smoothly”

He looked at the other two men

“They both seem too large to be any of those who left with you. Who are they?”

The two men threw back their hoods. Gordianus fell back against the desk.

“You can’t be, you’re both dead!”

“That would seem not to be the case Praefectus” noted one of them.

“Oh no, I’m not Praefectus that is Lucius, I resigned as soon as I saw him. If Christoforus and the Saxon don’t like it, tough!”

“That isn’t the way to refer to your Lord” noted the first gently.

“Oh, he’s doing a good job but he’s a Saxon and that bothers people despite his being the next in line, or so people thought.”

“Can you get us to see Flavius without fuss?” asked the first.

Gordianus nodded

“As it happens, I have a meeting with him in an hour”

Gordianus smiled

“I think that he’ll be as glad to see you as I am Lucius. Why have you taken so long to return?”

“A not unreasonable question, but you’ll have to wait until I see Flavius” replied Artos.

Last edited:
480 AD
Venta

Flavius Aurelianus Lupidus read the latest message from Cerdicus. It did not make for comfortable reading. Cerdicus noted that Flavius had not accepted the Lordship but was acting as Lord until the Council decided who should become the new Lord of Venta. In which case Cerdicus, as the acknowledged son of Artos, was going to press his claim to the Lordship, by force if necessary. Cerdicus noted that he hoped that it would not have to come to this and that the Council would accept the political realities of the situation.

Flavius glanced at the other scrolls scattered over the desk. They included reports that Cerdicus was massing troops at Bononia and other ports on the Mare Britannicum and was currently assembling a fleet with which to carry them to Britannia. Flavius sighed, Llacheu had gutted Venta’s troops to provide money for the lavish spectacles that he had thrown for the citizens of Venta. There were barely enough to re-enforce order on the Lordship, and that was with the full cooperation of the Watch, let alone combat an invasion by a battle hardened Roman Army.

He rubbed a hand over his face. He could not afford to allow despair to take control and certainly not show anyone else how desperate the situation was becoming. He could see no viable way of preventing Cerdicus from becoming Lord of Venta and that would just be the start of bringing the rest of Britannia into his Empire

There was a gentle knock, Flavius looked up, his secretary was stood there

“It is time for your meeting with Gordianus”

Flavius nodded

“Have him wait in the outer office, I’ll be along shortly”

The secretary frowned

“What is it Julius?” asked Flavius

“He has three hooded men with him. He has vouched for them but..”

Flavius grinned savagely

“If Gordianus was going to kill me he would have done so before now. However station extra guards”

“Yes Dux” replied Julius who scurried away.

Flavius composed himself and entered the outer office

Gordianus saluted

“Dux”

“Praefectus”

“Not any longer, I’m resigning with immediate effect” answered Gordianus.

Flavius stood shocked

“Resignation refused. Praefectus, you know very well there is nobody else left senior enough to command the Watch!”

“Oh, but there is Dux”

Gordianus nodded at one of the three hooded men who threw back his hood. Flavius just managed to stop an expression of shock crossing his face.

“Lucius?”

“Sa, Dux.”

“Now I understand the Praefectus’ attempt at resignation. However I am still not accepting it. However I will appoint you as Legatus”

Lucius looked at him

“That is semantics Dux”

Flavius smiled wryly

“That may well be your interpretation Legatus”

Flavius paused

“May I assume that since you are back so are the others?”

Lucius nodded

“Sa, Dux”

“In which case Ianus is now Tribunus Laticlavius of the Watch”

Flavius smiled at the look of utter relief that had crossed Gordianus’ face.

“I don’t think that the Praefectus will have any objections”

“Na, Dux” replied Gordianus.

There was a stifled chuckle from the other two hooded men.

“Is something funny” demanded Flavius

“Perhaps you would share it with me”

The two men threw back their hoods

“You have come a long way indeed from when we first met Wulfhere!”

This time Flavius did not attempt to hide his expression

“My Lord Artos, you are alive!”

“I think so, Dux”

Flavius shook his head

“I’m following Gordianus’ lead. I am tendering my resignation immediately”

Artos shook his head

“Na, I’m afraid not and for the same reasons you gave Gordianus. Also, there is much to be sorted before I officially rise from the Underworld.

Bedwyr, go find Bors, Legatus and Praefectus go with him”

The three men nodded and left, Bedwyr had put his hood back up.

Artos turned to Flavius

“There is much to discuss Cousin”

Flavius nodded

“Sa! Why in Christos’ name did you not return before? Much ill would have been averted if you had done so”

Artos sighed

“It is a long story”

“But one that I and your wife need to hear. Come with me”

480 AD
Venta

Before he followed Flavius Artos put his hood back up. Flavius nodded

“Probably wise, but it won’t stop some from recognising you or at least suspecting who you are”

“Na, but I trust them to hold their tongues”

Flavius shook his head

“Times and people have changed, Artos. People had to in order to survive Llacheu”

“Was it that bad?”

Flavius sighed heavily

“Far worse than even the rumours that reached the other Lordships and I presume yourself and Ebissa. Think, it drove Sinistrus to do what should have been unthinkable”

Artos groaned slightly but hunched himself up.

“Better” noted Flavius

He led Artos down some back corridors. They did not meet any functionaries nor servants. At a door Flavius held Artos’ arm.

“She is very different from when last you saw her”

“How?”

“You’ll soon see”

Flavius opened the door.

“I thought that I said no visitors” came a voice.

“I think that Findabair will want to meet this one, Master”

“That is Gulielmus” whispered Artos

“Why do you call him Master?”

“Because Gulielmus is the Master of the Cult of Morrigan. Or, at least, the major part of it. Even it has split under Llacheu’s rule between the pragmatists who still follow Gulielmus and the fanatics who embraced the chaos that Llacheu wrought”

Artos stepped into the room and pulled up short on seeing Findabair. He threw back his hood

“My love, what has happened to you?”

“Artos? Come here so that I can see you clearly. My eyesight is not what it was”

Artos stepped closer and leaned forwards. Findabair raised a hand, stroked his face and then slapped him.

“How could you leave us for so long? If you hadn’t been off playing soldiers then none of this would have happened!”

Findabair stopped

“Well this would have (she indicated her body), I cannot blame you for this but I can for what happened to Llacheu!”

“Findabair, My love, My life, I came as soon as I could”

Findabair struggled up right

“You should have come as soon as you landed. Why did you go north of the wall and stay there until it was too late?”

Findabair coughed

“I can just about accept you going north of the wall at the start. You were being hunted by those who wished to influence Llacheu. But why stay there”

Artos smiled wryly and grimaced

“That was not the only attempt. I survived five assassination attempts whilst I was with Ebissa. The last nearly caught me. I was laid up for the best part of a year recovering. They penetrated my stomach with a poisoned blade. According to what passes as a Medicus North of the Wall, I should not have survived”

Artos grasped Findabair’s hand tightly

“And the one who did it was part of your household”

“Never!”

“It was Petrus, my wife”

Findabair slumped back

“I thought that I hadn’t seen him”

She reached out to Artos

“But I never sent him. On my honour, I never sent him”

Artos took her hand

“I know. He failed to take his own life after the attempt. Ebissa has some very effective means of extracting information. It would seem that he was sent by Llacheu and the man who replaced Gulielmus as Master, or who at least claimed the position.

They felt that Petrus would reach me because he was a member of your household. They were not wrong. I thought that he brought a message from you so was not as much on my guard as I should have been”

Artos clasped her hand tighter

“And it near cost me my life”

Findabair gave Artos a look

“The other four attempts?”

“I know not but suspect two of them were organised by Cerdicus. With me out of the way and Llacheu clearly being insane would have vastly improved his chances of being accepted as a liberator when he landed. He learned too well at the school of survival of Roman Emperors. Mind you, he also knows how to cut his losses. He won’t try again, not in the near future. I sent him my own message via Ebissa.”

Findabair rallied

“Amhar?”

“Is safe and sound”

Artos chuckled

“Well sound, I’m not so sure about safe. He seems rather taken with one of Livia’s girls”

“You left him at a brothel!”

Artos looked at her

“Findabair, he is no longer a little boy”

“That is not the point and you know it! Your heir should not be cavorting with a common prostitute!”

“My lady, if she is one of Livia’s girls I doubt that she is a “common” prostitute” noted Gulielmus.

“Not you as well. Men! Get him here NOW!”

Findabair fell back coughing. She brought up blood. Artos looked alarmed. She waved irritably

“I’ll be fine. Now GET HIM!”

Cerdicus has consolidated his control over Hispania and Gallia. The Visigoths and Burgundians are thoroughly cowed, mainly because most of their leaders are dead or in Cerdicus' service. The Amorican Lordships are now paying tribute to maintain the fiction of their independence( The exception being Kahedin, the son of Hoel, who refuses to pay anything and who is mildly insulted because Cerdicus doesn't seem that bothered by his show of defiance). Romulus and Orestes rule Italia and are struggling with the Senate. Anthemius has established himself as Emperor in the East and is reforming as much as he is able. He is free from pressure to the east as Peroz has his own problems.
The map of 475AD still holds at the moment (reposted below)
Europe c 475AD.png

Nice to have an overview again i think i got lost a bit between the dialoge based chapters. I wonder how the dynamics between Verdicus and Romulus will pay out

Nice to have an overview again i think i got lost a bit between the dialoge based chapters. I wonder how the dynamics between Verdicus and Romulus will pay out
Cerdicus is willing to let Romulus claim Italia. As far as he is concerned the problems that the Senate would cause him more than cancels out the prestige of controlling Italia. Anthemius in the East is of much the same opinion. Of course circumstances might change . Romulus as he becomes his own man rather than just Orestes' puppet will try and rigidly enforce the Majorian reforms (to be fair so is Orestes but without much success) so that he can fund a relatively decent army. He does not in the least trust Cerdicus, Anthemius or the Ostrogoths.

480 AD
Noviodunum

Guitolinus looked at the man sat opposite him who was glowering at a goblet of wine.

“What has just arrived?” he asked

“This” replied the man.

He threw a buckle to Guitolinus who caught it. Guitolinus very carefully kept his expression neutral.

“The significance of this Caesar?”

“Don’t act the fool Guitolinus” snarled Cerdicus

Guitolinus made a show of examining the buckle

“Why, Caesar, it is the buckle worn by some in your service. What does this particular buckle signify?”

Cerdicus gave him a look that spoke volumes

“This was worn by one I sent to Ebissa’s court”

“Oh?”

“He was under orders to carry out a very specific task”

Guitolinus shook his head

“Really, Caesar, I thought that you would have known better!”

Cerdicus smiled mirthlessly

“It seemed too good an opportunity to miss. The new Lord of Venta had obviously gone insane, hence the assassination.”

He looked at Guitolinus

“I had nothing to do with that”

Guitolinus shook his head

“Nor I”

Cerdicus sighed

“With that Saxon acting as Lord but not accepting the position I thought that with him out of the way my path to the Lordship of Venta and then the rest of Britannia would be much easier”

“Instead of which he failed.”

Cerdicus nodded

“So it would seem. My Father has had this sent to me as a message”

“And that message is?”

“Don’t try again and stay out of Britannia”

Guitolinus nodded

“Caesar begins to regain his wits”

Cerdicus sipped his wine

“I honestly didn’t think that he still had it in him. I had already sent messages to the Saxon”

“The military position is still the same Caesar”

Cerdicus shook his head

“The name Artos alone is worth two Legions. His actual presence far more. My men would think that they were defeated before they set sail”

He shook his head

“Na, I will use the men against the Franks. I will wait for another opportunity in Britannia”

Guitolinus inclined his head

“As I have already said, Caesar is recovering his wits!”

I have just re read through this whole amazing timeline, you have done a tremendous job. The reread has done much to perk up my interest in this story again, can't wait for further chapters!

480 AD
Venta

Artos looked at Flavius and smiled

“Cerdicus is pulling his troops from the ports on the Mare Britannicum and marshalling them at Treviri. Clever, it could be used as a staging post against either the Franks or the Ostrogoths”

Flavius nodded

“Although it will cause alarm to both and they will both assemble their warriors. Whichever one he doesn’t strike may well be tempted to take advantage of the situation”

“True” replied Artos

“However that is his problem, though I don’t doubt that he has thought about it and has a solution. What matters is that it is obvious that he is no longer planning to land troops in Britannia”

Artos paused

“At least in the immediate future. If he senses an opening further in the future then he will take it”

“Then we shall have to take care that we don’t give him such an opening” replied Flavius

“Easier said than done” mused Artos.

Flavius acknowledged that this was the case

“In any case I think that it is time to rise from the Underworld” he added

Artos grimaced

“Unfortunately, I think that that is so. I have enjoyed being in the background and letting you do all the work”

“It shows!” smiled Flavius

“However”

Artos sighed

“I should be obviously back in power before the delayed meeting of the Council. Why was it delayed?”

“Oh there has was an outbreak of a really bad illness. Not life threatening except to the already infirm. However most of the Lordships suffered so it was agreed to delay the meeting by a month”

Artos inclined his head then came to a decision

“No time like the present”

“Are you sure?”

“Sa. I will take today’s meeting instead of you.”

So the Venta Council assembled as usual in the Basilica. Christoforus, who was still the provisional leader of said council, looked at the vacant chair where Flavius sat.

He gestured to a servant

“Where is the Dux?”

“He will be here shortly. He had to deal with a problem involving the Lady”

Christoforus nodded, Findabair’s failing health had become a major concern. She was the last remaining link to Artos and it would be a blow when she finally passed to the other side.

They did not have to wait too long, as usual the two guards who accompanied the Dux came into the chamber and took their usual positions either side of the door. A moment later a hooded figure came in, his head bowed.

“She’s died!” thought Christoforus.

Then he looked at the figure more carefully, it was the same height as the Dux but did seem to be slightly more heavily built.

“Must be the cloak” thought Christoforus.

The figure stopped in front of the chair. He stood still for a moment, then threw back his hood.

There was stunned silence for a moment, then a chant went up around the room led by the two guards and echoed by the other soldiers in the Basilica and then the Council members

“ARTOS, ARTOS, ARTOS”

480 AD
Delayed Spring Council Meeting

It was a strange Council Meeting in some ways. The normal discussions about trade and the political situation took place but there was a distinct lack of Artos. Flavius and Amhar represented Venta. However everybody fully understood Artos’ reasons for not attending.

“Mother has at most weeks left to live if not days” stated Amhar.

“I must admit that I would rather not be here, as Flavius is a more than acceptable replacement, and indeed, knows much more about the current state of Venta than I. However both Father and Mother insisted so here I am”

“What are Artos’ plans?” asked Medraut

Amhar smiled

“He will take up the role of Dux Bellorum again, after Mother has passed on. So I am afraid Virianus and Flavius that you will have to bear the burden a while longer”

Virianus sighed in resignation

“I cannot fault Artos’ priorities at this time but why did you take so long to return?”

“Because Father spent most of a year recovering from an assassination attempt. The assassin was caught and the one who sent him has received a very clear response”

There was some murmuring

“Who was responsible” asked Vortiporus, who represented Pascent, as like Findabair, he was knocking on the doors of the Underworld.

Vortiporus looked at the others

“Well it wasn’t me, oh, him!”

Ida nodded

“Indeed it was, our putative Emperor saw a way to ease his assumption of the Lordship of Venta and then reclaim the rest of Britannia for his Empire”

“I presume that Artos sent an assassin by return, even if he was not intended to succeed” commented Vortiporus.

“Na, it was a bit more subtle than that. However Cerdicus does seem to have understood the message” replied Amhar

Virianus nodded

“He has pulled all his troops except the local garrisons from the Mare Britannicum and seems to be preparing a summer campaign against either the Franks or the Ostrogoths.”

Virianus paused

“However I do not see the point of attacking either. The Franks have been quiescent for a few years now and the Ostrogoths seem more worried about what is happening to their east rather than raiding Cerdicus’ lands”

“However he does nothing without a reason” noted Ida.

“True” agreed Virianus

“However what they are this time eludes me”

Pelias chuckled

“He is blooding his troops. They were mustered to invade us and he has to use them for something”

“That would make sense” acknowledged Virianus.

“What other news from the Empires?” asked Drustan

“Romulus is exerting his own authority in Italia rather than just acting as his father’s mouthpiece. Anthemius seems to be marshalling his troops in eastern Anatolia. It can only be to attack Persia. Peroz is having his own problems so I assume that Anthemius sees a chance to rearrange the border more to his liking and cement his position as a military leader” replied Ida

“You would have thought that his defeat of Zeno and Basiliscus would have been enough to do that” commented Medraut.

“Apparently not” replied Pelias.

Medraut nodded.

Ida looked around

“Since this meeting has been delayed by over two months, I suggest that we do not hold the summer meeting but next meet at the usual time in Viroconium. Any objections?”

There were none and the meeting closed.

480 AD
Venta

Findabair was fading fast. She still had some good days but they were becoming increasingly rare. Artos paid little heed to the governing of Venta, leaving that to Amhar and Flavius. Instead he spent all his waking hours and many of his sleeping ones in Findabair’s chamber.

When she was aware enough they talked long about their lives together, their deep abiding and passionate love for each other and also the disappointments.

“I never fully understood why you would not become High King” whispered Findabair

“My upbringing” replied Artos

“Father was Roman through and through”

He chuckled

“Or at least he thought he was. In actuality he was a Britannian Lord like Lucius or Utha but with a more Roman seeming surface.

I am even less Roman and more Britannian but certain beliefs have stuck. Including the one that High Kings are never successful in the long term. Certainly not the way that the Britannians have dealt with them. You only have to look at what is happening in Hibernia at the moment”

Findabair sighed weakly

“Sa. However I got a slight understanding when I saw what happened to Llacheu. His head was turned by the flattery of others. I know that his illness pushed him over the edge into tyranny but I didn’t like what he was becoming even before that occurred”

She paused and gasped for breath. She waved the goblet of water, that Artos presented her, away with an irritable wave.

“I’m dying and not of thirst!”

Artos placed the goblet back down

“I see now that you feared that you would go the same way and acted accordingly. I do not agree with you but I accept that is how you felt about it”

“I still do, even more so now. I am no stronger willed than Llacheu. Just more bound by duty”

Findabair coughed again

“You do yourself a disservice My Lord but I will not argue now. You have made sure that Amhar will follow your lead in the matter. Oh, he will be a good and strong Lord after you but only a Lord not King”

“He may well lead the Council in time”

“Pah, it will fail. All you have done with this Council is delay the coming of Kings. There will come a time when debate will be a hindrance not a solution.”

“I see it as keeping the flickering light of civilisation alive on this island”

Findabair coughed

“I know that you do and despite my views the Council has worked to keep the peace but as memories of Vortigern fade”

Artos took Findabair’s hand in his own

“That is a problem for Amhar or his sons to solve not me. “

“Sa. I grow tired and need to sleep”

She smiled weakly and stroked Artos’ face

“In spite of all I love you. After Peddyr’s death fighting the Hibernians I swore never to love another. Then you came, your light banishing the darkness that had formed around my heart with his passing”

“I wish that I had known him”

Findabair smiled

“You would have liked each other but fought often. Your views of the world were very different. I have been lucky to have had two men like you both in my life. Now let me rest”

Her hand slipped down and she fell into an uneasy sleep. Artos kept vigil at her side. Suddenly Findabair sat bolt upright.

“My Lady, I answer your call”

She fell back onto the bed. Artos desperately felt for a pulse. He felt none

“Medicus, Medicus!”

Ezra came hurrying into the chamber. He felt her wrist and shook his head.

“She has gone My Lord”

“NAAAAAAAAA!”

Artos’ wail of grief echoed through the building.

I do agree with that there will one day be a king it the only why to stop the nobility from killing each other.

So will the line of kings come from Artos I would imagine any future king would exterminate his line for being a threat to there power