In Britannia Salutem

Venta
A week passed. As a result of Conatus’ interrogation of the barman at the Vine and Post, plus Lucius’ “talk” with the owner, various people had been apprehended. However there was no sign of the person whom they had all identified as the one who had employed and organised them.

“It would be childishly simple for him to change his appearance and slip away” commented Ianus, the Tribunus of the Watch.

“They all commented that he was heavily bearded. Well beards can be shaved, hair styled differently and different clothes worn.”

He paused

“However all commented that he had one green eye and one brown.”

Lucius snorted

“Ah, the sign of one touched by the Gods”

Ianus sighed

“Really! But it is something that you can’t hide easily.”

Gulielmus looked thoughtful

“Guitolinus is said to have had eyes of different colours, as did Myrddin”

Decidivatus stirred on his couch

“I now believe that they are one and the same person, however all reports place him in Noviodunum the last few months. Then there is his age to consider, he must be at least seventy. Even a healthy person of his age would suffer travelling that quickly. Also even if he could, this is not his style. He was sly, devious and underhand but he had a healthy respect for all venerated objects. If he had organised this the “Eye” would already be wherever he intended it to go. So unless more evidence comes to light, I would think that he is not, at least directly, involved.”

Lucius nodded

“He could be anywhere. I have passed the information to all our garrison commanders. We will keep our eyes and ears open.”

“I have done likewise with the other Lordships” added Decidivatus.

He glared at Gulielmus

“Are you still insisting on this mummery at Androclus’ villa?”

Gulielmus nodded

“Oh, very well, but it had better be worth it”

The next day they all assembled at Androclus’ villa. Gulielmus insisted that they sat out in the garden. It was a pleasant sunny day, even though it was winter, so all agreed. The meeting of Androclus with Igider and Siman was tense although it was lightened when Siman passed a broach to Androclus.

He looked at it in a confused manner for a moment or two, then he recognised it.

“How?”

“My grandfather picked it up. As not much more than a boy he was part of the group from our tribe that kept harrying you. Apparently he picked it up together with your cloak after a particularly close encounter.”

Siman smiled wryly

“He said that your men had dishonoured the tribe, so you as leader were responsible, but that you were both a skilled leader and very lucky. I was to place this on your body after your death”

“So why give it to me?”

“Because as we traced your men and dealt with them it became clearer that you were innocent of any crime against our tribe except being in command of those who were. Also our instructions included one to leave you alone if we found the “Eye” beforehand.”

Androclus looked at the broach

“I would willingly give you this “Eye” if I had it in my possession, but I don’t”

Gulielmus coughed

“Actually that turns out not to be the case.”

“Pardon?”

Gulielmus smiled

“I took the liberty of bringing this casket from your study”

“Yes, I wondered about that” replied Androclus

“There is nothing of great value in there. Just some keepsakes of my wife”

“Open it” requested Gulielmus.

Puzzled Androclus did so

“As I said nothing of great value in here”

“Except this” answered Gulielmus who reached in and pulled out a well-worn piece of amber.

“Oh that. I bought it from one of the surviving Goths when we got back to Carthage. Remarkably cheaply too, he just wanted funds quickly.”

He looked at Gulielmus

“It’s just a piece of amber from the Oceanus Sarmatius. It was quite common for the Goths to have a piece. I gave it to my wife to scent her clothes”

“Indeed which is why you have never thought too much about it. However if you look at it in a certain manner”

Gulielmus turned it around. Instead of just a lump of amber it now looked like a yellow eye.

“The Eye of Sekhmet” breathed Igider.

“How?” exclaimed Androclus

“You were fiddling with it as you told us your story” replied Gulielmus.

“It obviously had some connection with it. As you turned it I noticed that from some angles it looked like an eye. However I did not make the connection until I talked with Igider. I would guess that the Goth didn’t even know what he was doing, just picking up a random piece of amber as you escaped through the temple.”

“All that for a lump of amber?” inquired Livia.

“You can pick up pieces like that readily in virtually any market”

“Sa, but I suspect that this piece made its way to Africa many hundreds if not thousands of years ago. It would have been venerated because of its resemblance to an eye.”

Siman nodded

“It had been in our temple since the days of the first Pharaohs.”

Androclus took it from Gulielmus and handed it to Siman

“Here, have it. I have many other things to remember my wife by”

He shuddered

“I would never have guessed that it was so important”

“There was no reason to do so” replied Gulielmus

“You thought that you were being hunted because of what some men did to their priestesses. You had no reason to think that the Goth had not had that amber for years or had not bought it in a market as a reminder of home.”

Gulielmus looked at Igider and Siman

“If it had been the rape would the hunt have carried on for so long?”

Siman shook her head

“Not for as long. Only until those who had perpetrated the act had been killed. The Vandals did far worse and were dealt with accordingly. No, it was the desecration of the temple.”

She paused

“Now all we have to do is get it back home. We will still have to evade others who seek it.”

A hooded and cloaked man came out of the shadows and threw back his hood.

“I think that I can help there” stated Artos.

Well this had been a most interesting mystery, I loved it from the start.
I don't know how you do it Lindseyman but you've kept my attention for a long time. The story really is that entrancing.

What I'm surprised at really are the lack of comments. Then again this isn't exactly the most accurately recorded part of British history I do believe.

Others? Curious.

This must be very precious for them to go all these lengths. It really makes sense, all things considering.

And Artos shows up!

477 AD
The wind was set fair and the sun shone. However Amhar stood at the side of the ship being violently seasick. Bedwyr strode over to Artos and pointed at Amhar with his thumb

“Poor lad is as bad as we were the first time that we sailed. To Bononia wasn’t it?”

Artos nodded

“Twenty odd years ago”

He rubbed his hand over his face and sighed

“Things were so much simpler then”

“No, they weren’t!” replied Bedwyr

“They just seemed so because we were younger. Now why are we sailing at this time of year? The Sinus Biscaiensis isn’t exactly renowned for being a placid lake in this season. Constantine nearly had a fit when you requested one of his ships to sail us to Africa at this time”

“I just feel that time is of the essence in this matter”

Bedwyr looked long and hard at Artos.

“That may be true but surely it could have waited until we were more certain of good weather. Also it doesn’t need you”

Artos looked at his old friend

“Truth be told, I’m bored. The Hibernians are not raiding, nothing but the odd trader now crosses to the east coast. Ebissa is keeping to his side of the wall. Eucherius and Decidivatus do a better job of running the Lordship than I could.”

Bedwyr smiled wryly

“And it gets you away from Findabair dropping hints about the High Kingship!”

“Sa, she’s like a dog with a bone on that matter no matter what I say”

“It’s her upbringing. I’m not surprised she was resigned to letting you go but very surprised that she has let Amhar go as well.”

Artos sighed

“It was rather a tempestuous discussion! She accepted that I was bored and needed something active to do and eventually also accepted that Amhar needed some experience other than being my armour bearer in a time of peace.”

“How many vases were broken?”

“One or two. She knew deep down that by Amhar’s age most of her male relatives had been involved in repelling Hibernian raids and Amhar hasn’t had that experience.”

Artos smiled

“We may argue over the High Kingship and she is like a mother bear over Amhar but she knows that he has to have experienced more things if he is to be a good Lord let alone High King.”

Artos smiled at Bedwyr’s expression

“I think that she has just about given up on me becoming High King but she is laying plans for Amhar becoming such. He needs some time away from her influence. This opportunity was too good to pass up. Anyway she has Llacheu.”

Bedwyr frowned

“He’s a good lad, very proficient at his studies but he is even more influenced by Findabair than Amhar. Be careful”

“Findabair is loyal!”

“Sa, and she does love you but”

Artos’ face darkened

“She would never!”

Bedwyr raised his hands

“Na, but the gods help anyone who interferes with her plans for your sons.”

Findabair: "Hi, honey! Are you High King already?"

Artos: "Uh, no....?"

Findabair: "HOW DARE YOU NOT BE HIGH KING ALREADY! YOU ARE THE BEST LORD OF BRETONIA YOU SHOULD BE HIGH KING THINK OF YOUR CHILDREN THEY COULD BE HIGH KINGS ALREADY TOO BUT HERE YOU ARE WASTING TIME NOT HIGH KINGING!!"

477 AD
Two months later, a rather bemused group of those who claimed to rule (and one who had actually ruled) Iol Caesarea met at the villa of, Julianus, the Magistratum. A couple of days earlier a rather battered Britannian ship had docked. It did not attract too much attention as this was not that uncommon. Several times in the ten years that Julianus had been Magistratum ships had made the run risking the weather for the profits that could be made by being the first to bring a load of tin to the area. However the passengers that came with the boat were now definitely of interest especially after the events of the last two days.

Julianus looked at the Dockmaster

“Start when they arrived” he said

The Dockmaster shrugged

“It was a ship owned by Constantine, the so called Lord, of Dumnonia in Britannia. The Master has made the run here several times although never this early before. However he had a full load of tin, so we assumed that he had risked the weather for increased profits”

“You didn’t ask about his passengers?”

“We didn’t know about them until that night.”

The Dockmaster glared at one of the other people present

“If somebody hadn’t tried to be greedy!”

A rather heavily bandaged figure shrugged

“He owed me money. I tried to collect”

“Go on” prodded Julianus.

“He hadn’t paid his tithe to me the last time. So I sent Horatius with some enforcers to collect and to confiscate his cargo.”

The man shuddered

“As they searched the ship, some of what we had assumed to be the crew fell on them. Within five minutes it was all over. All Horatius’ men were dead or had fled whilst they had barely a scratch! It was what they did next that shocked me. Why didn’t you stop them Geselic?”

Geselic who was Commander of the garrison despite being a Vandal held out his hands.

“My men can barely hold their own against yours at the best of times. They were NOT going to stop of group of men who had just brushed yours aside as if they were flies!”

Julianus looked at Geselic

“And you thought that you might be able to turn this to your advantage”

“That thought might have crossed my mind”

He turned to the bandaged man

“And don’t pretend that you wouldn’t have done the same if the situation had been reversed!”

“True” acknowledged the bandaged man.

“Anyway” continued Geselic

“We shadowed them to Titus’ villa. How did they know where to go? We didn’t tell them although we would if we had been asked.”

“They got it from Horatius, curse him. Something to do with tribal loyalties”

“To Britannians?” queried Julianus

Titus shook his head

“There were two Berbers with them

Anyway they were told how to reach me.”

Geselic nodded

“They were soldiers. It was a military assault on the Villa made by battle hardened troops. They went through the defences as if they were non-existent. Sacked the villa and burned it to the ground.”

Geselic looked at Titus

“They took all his horses and enough supplies to last a few months. At dawn they set off into the hinterland. A few went back to the ship which set sail immediately”

“No, I don’t know where” added the Dockmaster.

Julianus looked at them all

“So a bunch of Britannian soldiers arrive, destroy Titus’ villa, taking supplies and set off into the hinterland. They had two Berbers with them, which tribe?”

“Horatius never talked about them and he is not in a condition to do so now. He was killed” stated Titus.

Julianus and Geselic shared a glance

“Your villa was destroyed Titus and what happened to your riches?”

Titus shifted uncomfortably

“I still have plenty”

“But no forces to back you up” noted Geselic.

Julianus nodded

“Time for a rearrangement of the power structure here. I think that my rule might just be re-established. I rather think that everything you held over us has been destroyed”

Geselic didn’t hesitate, he sank his sword into Titus’ stomach and watched impassively as his guts spilled out onto the floor.

“Fools, I will still be avenged” gasped Titus.

“Oh, I think not” replied Julianus.

“I assume that my other “requests” have been carried out”

“Sa” answered Geselic.

Julianus nodded

“Send a report to Carthage. I wonder what they wanted. Anyway they have my gratitude even if what they have achieved was unintended”

The hell just happened.

Well, always a good time to use it to one's own advantage.

This looks like the kind of thing that might cause problems down the line.

c2000AD
An Amazigh Folktale: The Great Bear of the North

Although there are many fables dating from the Amazigh expansion of the 7th Century (Christian Calendar), little remains of any myths or legends prior to this date. That the Amazigh existed is of little doubt they were referred to as the Berbers by the Romans and fought them constantly over many centuries. However much of their original culture was subsumed by their newfound religious fervour and it is difficult to unpick it. However there is one story that although the earliest written version available is from the 8th century can definitely be said to be from the pre-expansion period. This is because of a footnote which states that this story had been passed down from father to son since the days of Kyerdik the Great [1].

Even by then it had become a children’s story but there are elements that echo some chords found in the myths and legends of Northern Europe [2].

The bears of Ifrik had lived in their lands for many generations. They were peace loving and rarely attacked their neighbours unless provoked. However they were constantly attacked by flocks of eagles who wished the bear’s lands for themselves. The bears were driven to the south of their lands where they struggled to survive.

One day calamity struck, a stray flock of eagles sacked the bear’s temple and fled with their holy of holies. From that day, disaster walked the bears’ lands. Their crops failed, their herds diminished and even the rains stopped. Eventually a young bear and his mate began to seek the holy of holies. Their search took them into many strange lands but eventually they found it on a mist enshrouded island far to the north.

Whilst there, they encountered the ruler of this island, the Great Bear of the North. The Great Bear was saddened by the tale of woe that they told of their lands and promised to give them aid.

He was true to his word, he travelled with the bears back to Ifrik together with his oldest cub and thirty of his strongest warriors. They found the land in great disarray with the Eagles in control. The Great Bear was full of wrath and waged war upon the Eagles driving them not only from the area near the temple but also from other areas which had previously been held by the bears.

Eventually the Chief Eagle met the Great Bear in single combat and was defeated and the Eagles promised to leave the bears alone. This they did for many generations. Satisfied the Great Bear together with his cub and warriors left for their own lands never to return.

Why this should be the only tale that can de definitely dated to the pre-expansion period is unknown. Obviously it refers to some major event in Amizigh history which even the most devout of the new faith did not wish to expunge. Given the footnote that refers to Kyerdik the Great it would be very easy to assume that the mist enshrouded island and the Great Bear of the North refer to Prydannia and the near legendary Prydannian War Leader Artos, who was also known as the Bear. However there is no evidence that he ever travelled further than northern Hallia in any of his campaigns.

We shall probably never know the true origins of this Amazigh folktale.

[1] Cerdicus, Emperor of what is now known as the Hallian Empire

[2] There are many similar stories attached to Artos, Cerdicus and their successors. Perhaps an early one came south and was adopted by the Amazigh.

477 AD
Spring Meeting of the Council

The Spring Meeting of the Council in Luth had nothing of real import domestically to discuss. It had been a wetter winter than usual so there was some concern over the harvest that autumn but otherwise the three main topics of discussion were the absence of Artos and events in Rome and Constantinople.

Artos’ absence wasn’t a cause for concern as all the Lords realised that Artos was getting more than a little bored as there was not much happening to warrant a Dux Bellorum.

“He’s involved in a mission to return an object to its rightful owners” noted Constantine of Dumnonia.

“I can’t fault the mission just its timing. The New Year is not generally the best time of year for a sea voyage. However I should know whether they have reached their destination soon.”

Eucherius frowned

“Hopefully it will be good news. I’m not sure that I could cope with Findabair being in charge permanently!”

He sighed

“It is not that she would be a bad ruler but she is much more hands on than Artos. She doesn’t disagree with my decisions but does expect a full explanation of why I have reached those decisions.”

“In other words she acts as most Lords do” chuckled Titus of Elmet

“You’ve got too used to Artos letting you run things”

“Perhaps so” agreed Eucherius.

“Decidivatus has said that he was much more involved at the start but has gradually disengaged himself over the years due to his not really understanding why civilians take about three days to reach the decisions that he would have made in less than an hour. He has never quite grasped the idea of debate and different opinions.”

“It would seem that it is not just Artos, given the latest messages to reach us from Rome” commented Ida.

“Oh?” inquired Pelias of Deva.

Ida nodded

“It would seem that the Emperor Romulus is as impatient as Artos but with far less experience. He apparently got so fed up with the obfuscation that occurred in the Senate that he has tried to cut them out of any decision making altogether. I say Romulus but it is his father, Orestes, who is still making the decisions.

They are also trying to apply the reforms that Majorian made with regards to taxes. To say that the Senators are not happy would be a mild understatement. However they need Orestes as the Ostrogoths are making threatening moves to the north although they have not actually invaded Italia proper as of yet.

They can’t appeal to Anthemius as he is still engaged with putting down the last few areas of revolt in Isauria. Then he will have to decide about Libius Severus in Carthage who is acting as if he was an independent ruler again rather than a supplicant to Constantinople.”

“One of the Empire’s great survivors” noted Virianus.

“So far” agreed Ida.

c2000AD
Julianus Vitensis

Julianus Vitensis (or Julianus of Vita; born circa 420) was a magistrate of iol Caesarea what was then still the province of Mauretania (albeit much smaller than the province had been prior to the Vandals). His importance rests on his A Historia Africae Province de Persecutio a Wándalis per tempora sua et convaluisset ab imperatoribus (A History of the African Province Persecution in the Times of the Vandals and its recovery by the Emperors).

Divided into three books, the work is a predominantly contemporary narrative of the events in Northern Africa from the arrival of the Arian Vandals until the accession of Anthemiolus in 484 AD. The first book provides an account of the reign of Genseric, from the Vandal invasion of Africa in 429 until the reconquest by Majorian; whilst, the second records the events leading to Libius Severus accepting the overlordship of Leo i in Constantinople and third record subsequent events until 484AD of which Julianus was an eyewitness. It has been argued that with the work Julianus 'created a coherent narrative of a Vandal persecution where previously there had been none'.

Little is known of the author or his circumstances and so historians have put forward deductions based on the internal evidence of his work. It has been argued that Julianus wrote the Historia persecutionis whilst he was Magistrate of Iol Caesarea and that he 'had access to the archives of the see of Carthage'. The 'text originated in the Church of Carthage' and was published circa 488; however, other scholars contend that Julianus wrote much of his work in 484 but subsequently added perspectives from after the death of Anthemius.

Despite his secular background, Julianus throws much light on social and religious conditions in Carthage and on the African liturgy of the period, portraying 'the Vandals as being implacably and violently opposed to the true Catholic Faith'. His history contains many documents not otherwise accessible, e.g. the Confession of Faith drawn up for the orthodox bishops by Eugenius of Carthage and presented at the conference in 484 of Catholic and Arian bishops. Two documents: a Passio beatissimorum martyrum qui apud Carthaginem passi sunt sub impio rege Hunerico (die VI. Non. Julias 484) and a Notitia Provinciarum et Civitatum Africae (List of the Provinces and Cities of Africa), formerly appended to all the manuscripts and now incorporated in the printed editions, are probably not Julianus'. The former may be the work of one of his contemporaries. The latter is a list of the Catholic bishops who were summoned to the 484 conference and their Episcopal sees in the Latin provinces of North Africa, arranged according to provinces in this order: Africa Proconsularis, Numidia, Byzacena, Mauretania Caesariensis, Mauretania Sitifensis, Tripolitana, Sardinia.

However it is one small passage in the third book that is of interest to scholars of the history of Prydannia. Julianus records that in 477AD a small party of “Britannians” arrived in Iol Caesarea and enabled him to regain full control of the area. Subsequently they facilitated a rebellion of Berbers against the local Roman garrison establishing their freedom from direct Roman rule for the next fifty or so years.

This passage is of interest as there is nothing to substantiate it from surviving Prydannian records of that time. However given that the accuracy of much of what Julianus wrote is supported by other contemporary records in Kirtag[1] and Alkustantina[2] there is no reason to suppose that he is not writing the truth as he saw it.

[1] Carthage

[2] Constantinople

Author's Note: Julianus ITTL occupies the same historical niche occupied by Victor OTL. Hence the similarity of their works as can be seen from the wikipedia article on Victor Vitensis. The bolded parts are straight from that article.

Last edited:
477 AD
North Africa

Artos wheeled his horse and looked over the battlefield. The Romans (he snorted, Hades even the Picts showed more discipline than the rabble that had just been routed) had been put to flight and the day was won. Well not quite, there was one knot of soldiers that still stood unbowed. They had formed themselves into a fair approximation of a testudo and were slowly retreating.

“Good Officer there, with some well-trained troops” noted Bedwyr.

Artos nodded in agreement

“Certe”

He sighed

“Unfortunately for them, they cannot hold that formation indefinitely and the tribesmen will swarm over them as soon as they break.”

“I must admit to being mildly surprised that someone has still got troops able to do that” added Bedwyr.

Artos smiled wryly

“Same here. However in any army there are always some that recognise that you can learn from the old days”

“I’m just glad that he, whoever he is, was not the Commander of that rabble. They might have put up more of a fight.”

“Sa, however at some point they will have to break formation then he is lost”

“Shame”

“I agree” stated Artos and spurred his horse forward.

“What is Father doing?” asked Amhar.

Bedwyr stared hard at him, Amhar blanched slightly

“How many times do you have to be told? In battle he is your Commander not your father!”

Then Bedwyr relented

“He’s giving that officer a chance to get his troops out.”

“Is that wise?” asked Amhar

“Perhaps not, but it is very like your father to do so. He did something very similar with Virianus during the “Madness of Urien”.”

Amhar stared after his father

“I have heard that tale many times” he noted.

“Also Rome still needs all the capable leaders that it can get its hands on and that officer is capable”

“But he may still cause trouble for our friends”

Bedwyr smiled

“Come on, you may learn something that will stand you in good stead when you lead”

He nudged his horse forward and Amhar followed.

They reached Artos who had approached the testudo under a symbol of parley.

“Who leads here?” asked Artos.

“I do” replied a soldier who pushed his way out of the testudo.

“My congratulations on your tactics. You and your men have shown considerable bravery and skill”

The Roman inclined his head

“I had to. I’ve never seen cavalry used to such great effect. My commander, rest his soul, underestimated you.”

The soldier paused

“Who are you? You do not sound like a Berber”

“I am called Artos, Dux Bellorum of the Council of Britannia”

At the sound of his name whispering broke out amongst the Romans. The soldier turned round and frowned at them. The whispering stopped.

“Your reputation has reached even here” noted the soldier

“You are a long way from home, I wonder what brought you here? Still no matter, why the parley?”

Artos looked at him

“If you give your parole and promise not to attack the tribes again I promise you safe passage back to the next fort”

The soldier looked back at him

“As I said, your reputation is known so I trust you but them?”

He indicated the tribesmen who had also approached. Igider came forward

“Do you trust me, Evanthes?”

Evanthes nodded

“Yes, you have proven trustworthy in the past”

“Very well, I swear by Sekmet that you and your men will have safe passage as long as you swear not to bear arms against us ever again”

Evanthes frowned

“I can promise that for myself but not for my men. As enlisted men they have to obey their orders”

Igider nodded

“They will just have safe passage to the fort”

Evanthes looked at them and at the tribesmen.

“I agree, I wish to see my wife and young son. I shall resign my commission and return to Makedonia”

He smiled

“My parents will be glad to see their grandson”

“What is he called?” asked Bedwyr

“Iohannes” replied Evanthes.

“I hope that he grows to be as able and wise as his father” commented Artos.

“Better I hope” replied Evanthes.

He turned to his men

“Shoulder arms lads. You will survive after all”

I like how honorable Artos is, and his reputation must have really spread far and wide for men as far as North Africa to have heard of him. Then again, this is not the medieval era.

I like how honorable Artos is, and his reputation must have really spread far and wide for men as far as North Africa to have heard of him. Then again, this is not the medieval era.
Remember that it was Artos who basically saved the Western Empire some twenty years previously. That is plenty of time for stories about those campaigns to have reached North Africa ( certainly the Eastern Empire and Persia as well).

Remember that it was Artos who basically saved the Western Empire some twenty years previously. That is plenty of time for stories about those campaigns to have reached North Africa ( certainly the Eastern Empire and Persia as well).

Good point!

Does that make Artos 40 or 50, then?

Still feels like he's feeding the snake that will eat him, but I dunno.

Artos is approaching 50 having been born about 430AD. This adventure was his equivalent of a mid-life crisis, proving to himself that he's still got it, whatever it is!