In Britannia Salutem

476 AD
Venta

Androclus paused

“The Numidian vanished as soon as we reached camp. I don’t know what happened to him. I hope that he managed a happy life. Anyway we were shipped back to Italy. We were both posted to the Limes on the Danubius, well what remained of them!”

Androclus snorted

“That was a dead end posting at the time. The Goth started to rise through the ranks and had achieved the position of senior centurion whilst I made Primus Pilus. However our force was destroyed during a raid by the Gepids. Somehow we both survived but we had heard rumours of Berbers asking strange questions in various camps and so decided that it was time to vanish ourselves. The Goth went west to join the Visigoths whilst I fled north to my people who at that time were busily raiding Britannia.

I ended up joining Horsa. I came over to Britannia and was made liaison with Ambrosius, because of my service with the Eagles, when we marched north against the Picts.”

Androclus snorted

“I was captured in the Battle at Trimontium. I was spared because one of their holy men insisted that I had a curse which would rebound on any who slayed me. So I was enslaved. I gained a reputation as a good warrior when I saved my owner from a hungry wolf pack.”

Androclus grimaced

“I was freed and gained the woad. However, I had had enough of living in the wilds of Caledonia and made my way south. Well you know the rest.”

Guitolinus frowned

“How did you get in contact with the Goth again?”

Androclus smiled

“Pure happenstance on a trading mission for Ambrosius to the Visigoths. He had risen to be one of their senior war leaders. Not surprising given that, although not very literate, he was of well above average intelligence. Anyway we agreed to let the other know if anything strange involving Berbers occurred. And last week I received that.”

After a pause he continued

“They still might not find me there’s nothing to link us together. It is obvious that that message has been through various hands to get to me.”

It was Lucius who shook his head

“Na, if they found him it would not take too long for them to find a connection to you. Even I could manage that and I’m not as quick on the uptake as these two.”

He frowned

“What surprises me is that they are still hunting you after fifty odd years. There have been several campaigns through that area since then. The Vandals went through it like wildfire and they will have done things far worse than forcing themselves on some priestesses.”

Lucius looked hard at Androclus

“What have you not told us?”

476 AD
Venta

Decidivatus and Gulielmus shared a glance.

“Indeed he is improving” commented Decidivatus.

He turned to Androclus

“I have known and worked with you for the best part of forty years now and consider you trustworthy and a friend”

Androclus raised an eyebrow

“I sense a but coming here”

Decidivatus waved at Lucius

“He’s right, there is something that you haven’t told us. Now Picts, Hibernians and Cambrians can keep a vendetta or feud going for centuries so I’d assume that the Berbers could also. However Lucius is also right in that that area has been fought over virtually continuously since the forties. Lots worse than what you described will have happened since then. So why keep hunting you?”

Androclus looked bewildered

“I’ve told you everything that happened!”

Gulielmus shook his head

“Na”

“Are you calling me a liar?”

Gulielmus shook his head again

“Na, you will not have told us everything that happened. Just what you remember happening or what you have convinced yourself happened as the years passed. You have not lied but we all tend to fill in the blanks with our preconceptions and experiences and that is what you will have done. We all do it, even myself and Lucius”

“So I am being hunted for something I do not remember doing?”

“Sa, even worse, you might not have done it but one of the men under your command and you might never have known what has caused this to happen. However whatever it was, it was enough for them to keep hunting you after all these years and events.”

“What do I do?” asked Androclus

“There’s no point in my going to ground, I’m too old to flee, and even I cannot ask you to detain every Berber in Britannia. The trade routes are still open and Berbers, although rare, are not unknown in the bigger markets.”

Decidivatus nodded

“True. All I can suggest is that you try to carry on as normal.”

“Easier said than done” muttered Androclus.

“You have already said that there is no point in posting guards” added Lucius

“I agree with you. However I will have every trader from Africa questioned”

He saw the look on both Decidivatus’ and Gulielmus’ faces.

“Na I haven’t gone mad. We do it anyway to find out what’s happening in the Empire.”

He continued

“We’ll also investigate if we find anyone asking questions about you. If there’s one thing that will cause a stir it’s a stranger asking about one of the “high and mighty”.”

Androclus sighed

“Very well. I think that is the best that I could have hoped for. I just hope that you find them before they find me!”

Androclus left.

Lucius looked at the other two

“If they have waited this long then the problem is that they may well wait until other problems occupy us and then strike.”

Decidivatus nodded

“However that is out of our control. We shall just have to wait and hope. My Lord Artos will not be happy if Androclus is slain and we did nothing!”

476 AD
Summer meeting of the Council

The Council meeting was rife with the news of what was happening in Gallia. The King of the Visigoths had decided to strike before Cerdicus had finished training his army and had cut a swathe through the countryside heading towards the north where the Roman Army was being assembled.

However Cerdicus had reacted swiftly to the news. Leaving only a token garrison along the Rhenus he had marched quickly to confront the Visigoths and had met them in battle near Turonum. It had turned into a slaughter of the Visigoths. Cerdicus outflanked them and had hit them in their rear.

In the ensuing battle the vast majority of the Visigothic nobility had been killed. The only nobles left were those who were either too old or too young to have joined the army.

“What will Cerdicus do?” asked Titus of Elmet.

“In some ways his victory has been far too complete. By all accounts there is nobody left who can offer him the Visigothic surrender and Cerdicus himself does not have enough experienced leaders with which to govern the Visigothic lands.”

“Oh I don’t know” commented Artos

“The Visigoths left the old Roman Magistrates in charge of the day to day running of the area that they controlled so I’d assume that Cerdicus will just do the same. I’d be more worried about some young hothead stirring up trouble with what remains of the Visigothic army. Even so they are destroyed as a major threat to his power. That leaves him free to concentrate on reorganising his lands.”

“Won’t he now go for Italia?” asked Drustan.

“Na, let the Senate stew. Italia just isn’t worth the hassle of keeping them happy. Orestes and his puppet Emperor can’t control them. They’ve reverted to the sort of behaviour displayed before Majorian. It would take Cerdicus years to effectively control the peninsula. Better to leave them to their own devices or let the Eastern Emperor take over” replied Artos.

“Speaking of which, what news from the East” inquired Virianus.

“Not much, however it is now down to Zeno and Anthemius with Anthemius holding the upper hand” replied Ida.

“Basiliscus was killed by his own troops and Zeno has had to withdraw to the lands of his forefathers. Given that Peroz can’t really intervene as he has his own problems the Empire is now Anthemis’ to lose.”

“And to think that Leo seriously thought of putting Anthemius on the Western throne after Majorian died” commented Pelias of Deva.

“Just as well for Anthemius that he didn’t” replied Artos.

Ida looked around

“Very well now onto more parochial matters”

“What of the Cult of Morrigan?”

None of the Lords had much to report on the matter.

“They are as elusive as mist on a breeze” commented Medraut.

“However there have been fewer reports or signs of their activity. Perhaps they have slunk back into the shadows again”

“I doubt it” replied Virianus gloomily

“There are too many odd little occurrences in some of my outlying villages. Headmen who were apparently in good health dying suddenly and being replaced by people who are not as forthcoming with their taxes unless really pressed.”

“It’s the same in my lands as well” added Drustan.

“We all need to remain vigilant then” noted Ida.

“Other matters?”

The Council went on to discuss trade, the signs that it was going to be a good harvest and the various reports on the state of the roads.

c2000AD
A Brief History of Derevestade

The oldest traces of human occupation in Derevestade, are human bones and evidence of an encampment of hunter-gatherers dating from about 8000 BC, during the Mesolithic period. Between 250 and 225 BC, the Parisii, a sub-tribe of the Celtic Senones, settled on the banks of the Senne, built bridges and a fort, minted coins, and began to trade with other river settlements in Europe.

In 52 BC, a Roman army led by Titus Labienus defeated the Parisii and established a Gallo-Roman garrison town called Lutetia. The town was Christianised in the 3rd century AD. After the partial collapse of the Roman Empire, it was occupied by Cerdicus in 476AD who made the islands in the Senne his capital from which he ruled most of the old Western Roman Empire until his death in 518AD.

The islands were nearly completely rebuilt and the city of Lutetia was renamed Parisii Roma Nova. This name developed into the names still given to the islands, Rouneve, and the city on the south bank which is known as Pars.

The Frankish Rulers of Hallia mainly lived near rather than in Rouneve on the North Bank of the Senne and a settlement grew up around them. This became, eventually, the city of Luteche.

Pars became the business capital of Hallia, Luteche the administrative capital and Rouneve the religious centre (and temporary seat of the Anti-Popes in the 12th and 16th Centuries)

The three cities were known collectively as The Drevestade, a corruption of the old Frankish for three cities. However they remained administratively independent of each other until the revolutions of the late 18th and early 19th Centuries, when they were forcibly merged into the city of Derevestade which was adopted as the capital of the temporary Republic of Hallia and has remained the capital of the restored Kingdom of Hallia ever since.

Cerdicus Capital in later times.gif

c2000AD
Horse Collar

The invention of the horse collar is shrouded in mystery. What is not in doubt however is that it was developed at roughly the same time in both China and Northern Europe (it is now suspected in Prydannia. The earliest example was found in Hallia dating to the end of the 5th Century however fragmentary records held in the Caedmonian Museum in Karbrok seem to refer to it in roughly 480AD). It is possible that examples made their way along the Eurasian trade routes but that seems unlikely as it took until the 7th Century for the earlier and less efficient breast collar arrangement to reach the Black Sea area.

What is not in doubt is that the horse collar revolutionised agriculture in Northern Europe. It enabled horses to pull heavier loads, without choking, than Oxen although the collar also improved the efficiency of oxen.

Together with the development, although a few would claim rediscovery as there is some evidence that the Rhumadi had developed a plough more suitable for clay soil, of the heavy plough, the horse collar made using the heavy clay soils of Northern Europe practical.

These techniques were not lost during the upheavals of the 6th and 7th Centuries being preserved in Armorica and Western Prydannia. Both these areas suffered least in this time of turmoil and formed the nucleus for the Agricultural Revolution of the 8th Century which increased the prosperity of the Northern European plain.

Indeed it is now considered that the revolution of the 5th and early 6th Century may have led to the upheavals of the late 6th and 7th Centuries as it has long been accepted that the revolution of the 8th Century contributed to the Viking age of the 9th and 10th Centuries.

476 AD
Viroconium

The Lords of Britannia had once again assembled at Viroconium. Domestically there was little to discuss. The harvest although not brilliant had been more than satisfactory and trade was increasing with that part of the Western Empire which acknowledged Cerdicus as Emperor.

Also there was little to report on the Cult of Morrigan

“It is as if they are keeping their heads low” commented Virianus.

“I have had little trouble collecting taxes this year”

“I agree” added Drustan

“However there is still an undercurrent in some of the more remote areas of my lands”

Virianus nodded in agreement

“Sa, similarly in mine. I suggest that we keep our eyes and ears open”

Although there was little to be discussed domestically that was not the case about events elsewhere!

“Cerdicus has decided to build himself a new capital” reported Artos.

“He has taken over the islands in the middle of the river in Lutetia and has started a massive rebuilding programme.”

“Why there?” inquired Titus

“Surely somewhere like Lugdunum would have a better strategic position?”

Artos nodded

“I would tend to agree with you. I myself would have gone for Burdigala if not Lugdunum. However Cerdicus is not stupid so he must have his reasons.”

“To keep a close eye on Syagrius?” questioned Medraut.

Artos shook his head

“Na, Syagrius has proved himself loyal the past few years. Not that that in itself means anything but both Syagrius and his father are and were men of their word, so as Syagrius has pledged his loyalty to Cerdicus I can’t think that Cerdicus mistrusts him.”

“Becoming Emperor is apt to change a man” noted Pelias.

“You start looking for the knife in the back from even those most loyal to you”

“True” agreed Artos

“However knowing Syagrius as I do I doubt a treasonous thought even enters his mind”

“What is he calling it?” inquired Titus.

“Oh, Parisii Nova Roma” replied Artos.

“Setting himself up as the new Constantine then” smiled Titus.

“There are worse precedents” answered Artos.

“Sa” was Titus’ reply.

The next piece of news was about Hibernia.

“There is growing unrest against Ailill Molt” reported Pelias.

“Indeed a battle was fought against Eochaid at some place named Granard (well at least that is how it is pronounced!). Ailill’s forces won and Eochaid was slain but there are continuous minor uprisings all over Hibernia and the U’Nialls are just plain ignoring him!”

“Well there is one good result of this” noted Emrys

“There have been no raids at all this year. Just traders. The warriors seem to have been engaged elsewhere.”

“Sa, but if things settle down OR if the troubles get worse” noted Virianus.

“Well the fleet on Monoida will keep any raiding parties busy before they land" commented Ida.

“That is its purpose is it not?”

Then the discussion turned to events in the East.

“It would seem that Anthemius has secured his position as Emperor” stated Ida.

“Zeno was killed along with his brothers in a major battle at Cotyaeum in Anatolia. Although there appears to be some continued unrest in Isauria itself the rest of the Empire seems to have readily accepted him as Emperor. That is to the good, The Empire needs some stability and since Peroz is in some trouble in the east of his empire, Anthemius may well get the time and space required to do so.”

There were nods of agreement a strong ruler was now in charge of most of the west and it appeared that an equally strong ruler was in charge of the east.

“With any luck we can now rebuild in relative security and trade will increase” ended Ida.

“However remember that our ancestors thought the same during the rule of Theodosius” added Artos.

“We must remain vigilant.”

Last edited:
Whatever the men alongside Androclus did, they really fucked up. Was it something the Berbers want?

Seems like Cerdicus is making his own Roman Empire, with hookers and blackjack. Not a bad idea. Might be dangerous to Britain.

Ireland in unrest, seems good.

Seems that Galia's future is definitely more gallo-roman than Frank.

Visigoths are beat, makes one wonder about the future of Hispania. Aren't Suebes also in the area?

Just thinking about Ireland, has St Patrick still been captured, enslaved, escaped and returned as a missionary in this timeline?

Just thinking about Ireland, has St Patrick still been captured, enslaved, escaped and returned as a missionary in this timeline?
Assuming that he was in Hibernia sometime between 451 and 496, between when the Franks established themselves in Gaul and converted in OTL, as he referred to them as pagan then at this time he is indeed continuing the work of Palladius. As to the rest we shall see;)

Venta
It was a crisp cold day just after the celebration of the Nativity. Lucius was ambling down the main street of Venta towards the Army staging post where messengers could change their horses. He was alone, Gulielmus had been sent only Decidivatus knew where.

“Lucky boy!”

Lucius stopped, only one person had ever called him that and there she was.

“Livia, how nice to see you”

Livia smiled

“You’re still a very bad liar, Lucius. You now move in exalted circles. It cannot do your reputation any good to be seen with the likes of me.”

Lucius leant in and gave her a peck on her cheek.

“What, the most successful brothel keeper in Venta. You move with far more exalted people than I!”

When young, Livia had run with the street gangs alongside Lucius and his brother Rufio. However whereas Rufio had managed to find himself an apprenticeship and Lucius had joined the army, there had only been one way off the streets for Livia and she had taken it. She had worked for Zenobia, first as a maid and then as her figure bloomed as something else. She had been very successful and had been Zenobia’s choice to take over when she retired from the business.

Livia had slightly expanded her business model. Not only did she offer the usual services of a brothel but she also ran one of the cleanest and most secure hostels in Venta. Her rooms were so secure, because of the bouncers employed to keep peace in the brothel, that her rooms had become one of the favoured resting places of the messengers employed by the Lords. She had also managed to keep out of the hands of the various crime organisations extant in Venta and indeed her property was seen as a neutral venue where business could be conducted between those organisations.

Lucius looked hard at her

“What do you want Livia? You must be desperate to contact me so openly. Calling the watch could hurt your reputation.”

Livia shook her head

“I’m not asking for the help of the Watch but your help as an old friend. Besides which you are seen as an honest uncorruptable man by all those with whom I have dealings, much to their chagrin I must say! Also none of them trust the others to deal with this.”

“So you have had to approach me”

“Don’t be so upset Lucius. In a way it’s a complement. Everybody trusts you to sort it out with the minimum fuss and bother”

Lucius sighed

“If you say so. What has happened?”

Livia thought for a moment then began

A few days ago, a youngish, heavily bearded man, who spoke good but accented Latin came and offered me treble my usual rent on one of my special rooms on the condition that he got the room on his own terms. He went out the first night that he was there, and came back at cock crow when the only people out and about were a couple of my maids and they saw nothing just heard the door to his room closing.

Since then, nobody has seen him. He eats his meals and sometimes asks for an extra amphora of wine, always Falernian and from the Vine and Post.”

Livia snorted

“I could sell him better quality wine and cheaper but he insists. Everything is left on or by a chair in front of his room.”

“I assume that the amphorae have been checked for messages by your other partners”

Livia nodded

“Nothing, no written messages, no marks on the side of the amphora. All the barman at the Vine and Post knows is that certain Amporae have to be sent to my house when requested. He was paid enough to do so”

“Who by?”

“He doesn’t know the name but the person spoke with an accent that sounded African. The barman’s father originally came from there so he recognised the dialect.”

Lucius frowned

“Damn Decidivatus, this sounds like something that Gulielmus would be able to solve in a few minutes.”

He looked at Livia

“I’ll make a few inquiries of my own. Send a runner when next he asks for an amphora of wine. I’ll come and have a look around tonight.”

Livia smirked

“Is that all you’re going to do. I’m disappointed!”

“Yes, when I’m on a case. Although I would be sorely tempted, you’re still a stunning woman”

“Flattery gets you everywhere. But I get the message. See you tonight then” replied Livia.

My old classics master will be spinning in his grave at my crude attempt at a bon mot in two archaic languages:pensive:

The son of a Strong Warrior

Which eponym might sometimes be rendered in the vulgar Saxon as Walter and even shortened to Wat

Think 🔴

Last edited:
African people show up.

Lucius be like: "This man is suspicious."

Poor guy, job doens't let him have fun.

What about these things recovered in the tower?

Venta
Lucius walked back to his office and started to think. There was something wrong about this whole situation. There was no reason for Livia to contact him. She could well have used her own resources to sort out the matter No, Livia wasn’t telling him everything. She suspected that this involved politics and she had long kept well clear of anything political.

He knew that messages were being sent to whoever was in the room, and Lucius strongly suspected that it wasn’t the man who had rented the room, via the amphorae. Was Livia holding back information gleaned from the amphorae?

“Na” he thought to himself.

“There was a reason for her to involve me and she wouldn’t hold back on something that I would definitely uncover in solving the problem.”

Lucius then called in the watchman who had the night duty in that area.

“Look, I’m not interested if Livia slips you something to ensure that you look the other way at certain times.”

He was surprised when the watchman shook his head

“Na, Praefectus. She never has, I do suspect however that she has worked out my patrol patterns and plans accordingly”

He smiled

“That, plus employing several of the street urchins to keep an eye open for me! I know which ones so it is something of a game.”

Lucius looked long and hard at him

“What is your name?”

“Conatus”

“Hmm, there may be hope for you Conatus. Have you noticed anything more unusual recently?”

Conatus thought for a moment or two

“Just the signals, Praefectus”

“Signals?”

“Sa, the last two nights there have been lights showing in one of the windows of Livia’s special rooms.”

“How do you know that they are signals?”

Conatus smiled

“Firstly because there is a pattern to them (which I haven’t worked out yet) and secondly there are replies from the roof of the Vine and Post”

Lucius smiled

“Meet me at sundown at the Staging Post”

Conatus nodded

“Sa, Praefectus”

Lucius and Conatus arrived at the Brothel just after sunset. Livia met them and smiled wryly

“You have brought a chaperone then Lucius”

“Livia..”

Livia smiled more broadly

“Na, I’m just yanking your chain. You still rise too easily”

“Only to you it would seem”

Livia winked at him then turned serious

“This way, boys”

She led them to a spare room. By positioning a mirror they could have a good view of the door without being seen. A maid left a meal on the chair outside the room. After a few moments the door opened and the meal was taken.

Conatus was surprised

“But that was a woman!”

“Good observation skills, young man” noted Livia.

“I notice that you’re not surprised” she continued turning to Lucius.

Lucius shook his head

“Na, it was fairly obvious after what you had said about him not being seen returning to the room. Now we two will go outside. Conatus to continue his patrol, myself to look for any signals. You, get on with your own business, I’m sure some young man needs some discipline!”

Livia pouted

“Not as much as some older ones” she muttered.

“Promises, promises” replied Lucius.

Livia smiled, blew Lucius a kiss and left.

Conatus was stood blushing, Lucius grinned

“I’ve known Livia since childhood. No need to be embarrassed on my behalf”

“I never..”

“Well you live and learn. Now, your patrol!”

Conatus left and Lucius leant in a doorway with a good view of the Vine and Post. Sure enough after a few minutes there was a signal from the roof of the Vine and Post. Suddenly the signal ceased very arbitrarily. Lucius realised that something was wrong and hurried to the Vine and Post

He was not totally surprised when Conatus turned up just after he did. They rushed into the hostelry brushing past the protesting barman. They reached the roof to find a grisly scene. One man had been killed and another was sitting seriously wounded. The wounded man matched the description given by Livia. Soon afterwards a third man appeared. Lucius sighed

“Conatus go and find a medicus. This man’s wounds aren’t life threatening but need seeing to.”

Conatus left and Lucius turned to the third man

“What in Hades is going on Gulielmus?”

Last edited:
Venta
Gulielmus just shook his head as at that moment Conatus returned with the medicus from the Army staging post. The medicus clucked a little but stitched up the man’s wounds.

“Get him to somewhere where he can rest up for a couple of days” counselled the medicus.

“He should be fine as long as he does not pull those stitches. The wound looked a lot worse than it actually was”

The medicus left.

“Conatus, you help me. We’ll take him to that room at Livia’s. He has paid for it after all.”

Lucius and Conatus lifted the man up and carried him down to the ground floor. Gulielmus went ahead and opened any doors. As they passed through the inn Lucius shouted to the barman

“Don’t even think of leaving Venta. I’ll be back to talk with you later.”

They left the Vine and Post and went to Livia’s hostelry. The girls fluttered a bit but Livia and the senior girl quietened them down. Livia came with them as they approached the room which the man had rented.

“Don’t glare at me that way Lucky boy. I have as much interest in this as the watch”

Livia paused and looked at Gulielmus

“Or some of the powers that be it would seem”

Gulielmus knocked on the door in a strange manner. There was a sound from inside and the door opened

“Igider!”

Then she saw them and tried to close the door. Gulielmus put out his hand, held the door open and whispered something to the woman. She sighed and stood back letting them into the room.

Lucius and Conatus put the man on the bed in the room.

“Conatus, go and question the barman at the Vine and Post before he has chance to find out what his story should be.”

“Praefectus” answered Conatus but there was a question in his voice.

Lucius nodded

“I’ll tell you what I can later. Now go!”

Conatus nodded and hurried away.

Livia stared after him

“Well trained. In his shoes I would be dying of curiosity.”

Lucius smiled

“You are as you are here. Given your aversion to politics I would suggest that you also leave the room.”

Livia shook her head

“He’s not going anywhere in his condition so I’m involved whether you like it or not. In which case I would like to know what is going on here. Also it means that you will keep an eye on me to make sure that I’m alright”

Lucius shook his head

“You never give up do you?”

“Not likely” replied Livia

“Now” she continued “I know that Igider is a Berber name so just what is going on here?”

She stared hard at Gulielmus

“Working for your uncle rather than Lucius are we?”

Gulielmus’ face didn’t flicker but Lucius could tell that he was surprised by Livia’s statement.

“I may be a lowly unintelligent brothel keeper but I do hear things”

“Unintelligent is the last word that either I or Decidivatus would apply to you Livia” replied Gulielmus.

Livia smiled

“Perhaps not. However?”

Gulielmus shook his head

“It is not my tale to tell”

He looked at the woman

“You do not have to say anything, but these two are, like me. unlikely to tell anyone without your permission.”

The man on the bed stirred slightly and beckoned the woman over. He whispered something in her ear and she nodded.

“Igider trusts you implicitly” she stated to Gulielmus in halting but perfectly understandable Latin.

“As to these two”

The woman looked at both Lucius and Livia. She took Livia’s hand and murmured something. She smiled

“Very well, I shall tell all”

Venta
The woman sat on the edge of the bed and began

“My name is Siman. My mother was born as the result of the rape of my grandmother by a Roman soldier nearly fifty years ago. Igider has a similar ancestry as do several others. We were raised to avenge the slight on our tribe. The Romans who carried out the raid on our village not only raped our grandmothers and thus violated our priestesses but also took our holy of holies “The Eye of Sekhmet”.

We have been hunting down those who committed the desecration for years in order to retrieve the Eye.”

Siman paused

“The hunt has been made more difficult due to the upheavals that have afflicted the Empire in the last decades. To be honest the Vandals committed crimes against our tribes that were worse than those Romans, but those have been avenged, just leaving the retrieval of the Eye.

Those of us descended from that event were tasked with removing the stain upon our tribe. It was difficult tracking those responsible who survived. Those whom we managed to find were old men who remembered little of use and certainly did not have the Eye.

The last lives in this town. It is perplexing as he was the Centurion in charge of the troops and we know that he was not directly involved.”

Siman chuckled

“Those men who remembered the event and took part in the hunt afterwards had admiration for him for the way he led the survivors to safety but he was responsible for them, so had to pay.”

Livia frowned

“But why where you in hiding? Some of us still understand the concept of vendetta and would not have actively hindered you.”

Siman frowned

“As we got closer to finding the last survivors we became aware that others were also hunting for the Eye. Our purpose was solely to return the Eye to our tribe, these others’ motives were not as pure. Those in power in Carthage have somehow learned of it and its significance. If they had the Eye in their possession they could use it to further enslave our tribes.”

Lucius groaned

“Politics and power plays! The bane of my life.”

Livia looked hard at him

“How do you think that you have remained Praefectus of the Watch Lucius? If not for politics? A lot of influential people would be much happier if your post was held by one who owed loyalty to them and them alone. You are a major irritant to them because you actually try to do your job impartially.”

She smiled

“It’s part of your charm actually”

Gulielmus nodded

“My uncle has had to do some arm twisting to keep you in charge”

Livia nodded in agreement

“Plus the fact that many of my, errm, business acquaintances prefer an honest man who is an irritant to one who actively supports one group or another. Better for business!

However we’re deflecting. I suppose that is why you got involved through your uncle.”

Gulielmus smiled wryly

“Indeed, we discovered that there were rather more people who, however tenuously, owed allegiance to Carthage operating in the Lordships than would normally be the case. It was whilst investigating them that I saved Igider’s life two or three times. It was on my advice that he hired a room here. Livia would not take kindly to any trouble in her hostelry.”

Livia frowned

“So it’s your fault! However, I suppose that, in a way, I should be flattered.”

“I did not know why Igider insisted that I stay here” continued Siman

“However he insisted that it was the safest place for me to stay whilst he tried to find the Centurion. Then the events of tonight happened.”

She grasped Igider’s hand

“It would seem that we are no closer to finding the Eye despite all that has happened”

“Oh, I wouldn’t say that” stated Gulielmus.