Imagine

lennon-ce03cdc1-2900-4543-b697-cdeb20741ace.jpg

Honolulu, Hawai
May 27, 1977

David Mark Chapman had come to Hawai for one purpose- to kill himself. He attached a plastic hose to the exhaust of his car, put the other end in the car, rolled the windows up, and turned the car on. As the car filled up with the deadly gas, the 22 year old Chapman began singing his favorite song, Imagine, by John Lennon, his hero. Before he finished the second verse, he had gone unconscious. Five minutes later the hose would melt and the carbon monoxide would stop entering the car. It was too late for Chapman. If he had just sat in the car, breathing normally, he would have woken up and survived the attempt. But his singing and the deep breaths between phrases, had filled his lungs with carbon monoxide instead of oxygen. He never woke up.

New York City, New York
May 28, 1977

In New York City John Lennon woke up suddenly in the middle of the night and sat up in bed screaming from night terrors. His wife, Yoko Ono, tried to comfort him. She asked him what was wrong. He said, "A ghost grabbed my soul." She got him relaxed and he went back to sleep. The next morning he didn't recall the night terrors at all.

Last edited:
Yes, in OTL in 1977, troubled and mentally ill Mark David Chapman attempted suicide but survived due to the plastic hose melting. In TTL, he succeeded. In TTL we can feel sadness, sorrow, and empathy for the trouble Chapman. But with OTL affecting us, it still is hard to do that...

But this story isn't about Chapman, a poor fellow that in TTL no one knows about other than his family. It's about John Lennon and the Beatles.

Last edited:
Even if the Beatles were never destined to reunite, I am more than overjoyed to see John "live to a ripe old age, with Yoko only".

New York City, New York
December , 1980

Even though his 'comeback' album with Yoko, Double Fantasy, had only been released weeks before, John was already working on new material for their next album. Tonight they'd been working on mixing Yoko's song 'Walking On Thin Ice' at the Record Plant Studio. They wanted to go out for dinner when they were done, but first they wanted to head home, tuck in Sean, who stayed up late just like them, and sign autographs for any fans that might be waiting outside the Dakota Apartments where they lived, right on Central Park.

At about 10:50 they got out of the limousine and walked in the front door. The doorman Jose Perdomo was the only one there, no fans that night. As they walked an intrusive memory came to Yoko of the night three and a half years previously when John woke up screaming with night terrors and said, "A ghost grabbed my soul." John had been feeling good about his life recently, but suddenly he had a feeling of optimism flood over him, a sense that his future was unlimited. Jose thought he saw a shadow behind Lennon, but when he looked more intently he figured it was a trick of the shadows, for nothing, no one, was there.

Around the world life went on. On the other side of the nation I was taking a late nap, it was only 7:50 there. Nothing disturbed me, no one woke me up with terrible news. I woke up about a half an hour later to an uneventful evening. Millions of Americans were watching the NFL Sunday Night Football game on ABC. The Patriots and the Dolphins were just seconds away from the end of the game, a tied game, and the Patriots were driving down the field to score and didn't make it. Frank Gifford and Howard Cosell excitedly announced the game as the Patriots failed to score and the game went into overtime where the Dolphins won. There was no reason to interrupt the game, no call had come from Roone Arledge, their superior and the head of the News Division, with terrible news that they had to inform the nation. The fans enjoyed the game, either upset the Patriots didn't make the drive or thrilled the game went into overtime.

Paul McCartney in London left the Oxford Recording Studio where he'd been working on material. No reporters were waiting for him. He quitely went home to join his family. The same wave of optimism that had swept over John, swept over him also.

Ringo Starr had had three narrow escapes from death in the last few years. In April of 1979 he had a serious problem related to his childhood peritonitis and had to be rused to the hospital in Monte Carlo where he almost died during the operation to remove some of his intestines. Later in November a fire destroyed his Hollywood home, but not him. Then in May of 1980 he and his new girlfriend, Barbara Bach, were in a terrible car accident in Surrey, England, but again he survived. His life was good. He and Barbara intended to marry and his film career was due for a boost with their recent film, Cavemen, to be released in a few months. But Ringo's emotions were not always up, due to his recent near death experiences. But suddenly the same emotion rushed over him. He'd survived! Life was good. The future was unlimited.

George Harrison was vacationing in Hawaii. It was late afternoon there. He and John had been alienated for a while and George had no interest in working with him or even seeing him. Suddenly he was filled witih a terrible grief, a sense that we could lose our loved ones at any time. He had to contact John, he had to reconcile. God would want it. Why are these petty material world issues keeping him and a man he loved apart? With that decision in a moment that made no sense that that moment had happened, George too felt the same feeling of optimism and hope.

He was working on a song for Ringo. He knew John was too. He'd contact him and see if they could record them together.

Last edited:
Oh boy, I'm excited to see how this timeline turns out! You intend to make up songs for John or are you gonna take advantage of any outtakes or whatever? (be it Free as a Bird, Real Love, Now and Then or some other stuff?)

George didn't even have John's unlisted phone number; that's how alienated they'd become. George had heard that Paul and John had reconciled and he had gotten along a year and a half ago with Paul at Eric Clapton's wedding to his own ex, Pattie Boyd, even jammng with him and Ringo. But that was a strange experience, going to the wedding of his old best friend and his own ex and then jamming with Paul McCartney, a man who'd been as close as a brother who he then came to hate.

The change in temperment on December 8th made George realize he'd probably have to reach out to Paul too. But right now it was John he wanted to reach out to first.

Surely Ringo would have the number. Ringo had stayed friends with them all after all; even with him when he, George, letting his bastard side out, had slept with Maureen and broken up their marriage.

"Hallo."

"It's me."

"Georgie Peorgie. How are you, old fellow?"

"I had the strangest experience yesterday, Rich."

"Tell me more."

"I suddenly had this sense that life is too short and not to stay bitter and selfish from old friends."

"So you are calling me?"

George laughed. "You and I have been fine for years. No. It's John. I need to reach out to John. That song I have been working on for you, 'All Those Years Ago?' I want to ask John to help us record that."

"It's your song, old chap. You don't need my permission, although I do appreciate the thought."

George laughed again. "I don't have his phone number."

"You know his name. Look up the number."

"You know I hated that song."

"I do know that. I know every John or Paul song you hate and every Paul song John hates and every John song Paul hates and every one of your songs we all hate."

"Will you drop the Groucho bit and help me?"

"All you have to do is ask."

George just waited. In a moment Ringo gave him the number.

John wanted to go to Friar Park, George's home outside London and record with him and Ringo as George had invited him to do. They had a very pleasant phone call that ended up with both apologizing to each other. George had promised to do an edit to "I, Me, Mine" to included John. John said it wasn't necessary, George's personal apology was fine. "But the next time you write a biography..." He'd said.

But John had a fear. He'd left the US a few times with no problems after all his residency problems had been settled. But those visits outside the country had all happened after Nixon was out. Now Reagan was in, or would be soon.

John solved the problem. On January 7th, 1981, after a few weeks cramming with history books and civics books, John stood in front of a judge, Yoko, a US citizen and his wife, at his side, and Sean, also a US citizen and his son at his other side, and rose his hand and took the oath of citizenship. John Lennon, American.

After it was all done and they were walking out of the courthouse, John said to Yoko, "Now I can vote against Reagan." He didn't tell Yoko that he actually liked Reagan's old films. He used to watch them with May, and even after getting back with Yoko, had visited May, as his girlfriend on the side, and would watch old Reagan films and laugh and laugh.

The three of them flew to London later in January. John was looking forward most to seeing Julian again. For the last few years Julian had visited John in New York. Now he coud visit Julian in England.

It was a great time. John visited old friends and family.

Then one day he and Ringo were at Friar Park. George played him the track. "All the music is done. We did it back last fall."

"What do you need me for? Some guitar overdubs?"

"No. It doesn't need that."

Ringo smiled, "Johnnie, the thing is, it's too high for me to sing."

John had a quizical look on his face, he turned and looked at George who raised both eyebrows and smiled.

John still had that quizical look. Ringo spoke again, "I'm drumming. I'll be in the back ground vocals and you know with my voice I'll dominate the chorus."

George said, "We need you to sing it. Before that we need you to help me rewrite the lyrics."

Ringo said, "The first set are good. But we feel it needs to be changed up, to be about us."

"Us?"

A new voice came from behind John. "Yes, old friend, about us. The Beatles." Paul was standing there with Linda and Yoko. "I brought more girls to do back up vocals." John had wondered why Yoko had declined coming along.

Last edited:
OTL's "All Those Years Ago"
2nd set of lyrics written to be about John
1st set of lyrics thrown out
TTL's lyrics are different and if John was alive, he'd have written them with help from George, Ringo, & Paul​

It just seemed right to me that the song that was about John after his death in OTL, the song that renunited the surviving Beatles, would be in TTL the song that reunites them all.

Credits will be: Harrison, Lennon, McCartney, & Starkey- as George composed the music and all four wrote the lyrics- mainly John though, except the chorus line that is also the title- written by George.

I would love to hear this version of All Those Years Ago except for Linda's and Yoko's vocals, nothing against the Mrs's Beatles but they were not good singers, Ringo was a much better singer than those two IMHO.

I would love to hear this version of All Those Years Ago except for Linda's and Yoko's vocals, nothing against the Mrs's Beatles but they were not good singers, Ringo was a much better singer than those two IMHO.

I agree that Ringo is a great singer, although he has a limited range.

But Linda got better as a vocalist than she was at first. I actually like some of Yoko's work, like Walking on Thin Ice I shared above.

In OTL's version of All Those Years Ago, Linda does do back up vocals, along with Paul and Denny. I'd always thought, when I was informed all those years ago that Paul helped out that he played bass on it- but he didn't. He did back up vocals with Linda and Denny. Ringo, of course, did the drums.

So in TTL's version the back up vocals of Linda, Paul, Yoko, George, and John will be below Ringo's in the mix when they do the chorus. It will sound very Ringo-ish, just like Flying sounds very Ringo-ish, even though all four Beatles were singing together. I think that is why when they did all of them singing in harmony that they didn't include Ringo- not that he couldn't sing, but that if they included him it would just sound like him.

"You know something?" He asked her. They were riding horses out on the ranch outside Tucson. 151 acres. It was beautiful if you like mountainy deserts filled with Catcus. They both did. Not all the time, but once in a while, a few weeks in the Spring and Fall. They weren't galloping, just having the horses saunter along. The kids were on horses or ponies ahead of them. The slow horse ride made it easy to talk.

"I know lots of things." She said. "But one thing I don't know, most of the time, is what you're thinking."

He adjusted his cowboy hat with one hand while the other held the reins. He wanted it down a little more to one side as the trail turned and the angle of the sun was different. He had a big black stetson. He didn't usually wear hats like this, except when they visited the ranch they owned and went riding. "I was thinking, in a sense we've all become Americans."

"I've always been an American."

"That's it. I married an American and I live here in Arizona, USA part of the time each year."

"I hate to break it to you, darling, you're still English."

"Irish-English, I would have you know."

"But you said 'us'?"

"The other 'us'- the boys."

"Again you want to talk about the Beatles."

"I was a Beatle. Then I wasn't, so I did a solo album."

"I know, I had to kick you out of bed to get you to do it."

"Then I did the other band."

She pulled up and stopped. He did too. They were on a ridge now and they could see the children up ahead in a little valley where they'd gallop the horses or ponies around in circles before they rode back to the ranch house. It was spring in 1981 and this was one of the few times the place had a little more green and flowers- flowers on the cacti. The mountains in the distance were purple and red. The sky was enormous. It was gorgeous.

"And now that's over." She said.

"So I did a second solo album."

"Yes you did. I love it too."

"Well, the first time after the solo album I formed a band."

"And..."

"Well, don't you see, baby, there's a pattern. Now I'm supposed to be in a band again."

"How did we get here? This is all you ever talk about since that recording session. I thought we were talking about you all being Americans."

"We are. One of us a New Yorker. One of us is a Hollywooder. One of us, part time, is a Hawaiian. And here I am with my lovely family in my home in Tucson, Arizona."

"And you want to leave it for some California Grass?"

"Not leave it. But, yeah, get back and be the Beatles again. Why not in Hollywood? You know me and my mate had a great time recording in Hollywood with Harry."

"I think the great time was the sunshine and the white powder."

"We've all cut back from that. Only some wine and weed for me now. But the music. We could make great music. American music. The American Beatles."

"Paul." Linda said, "It was you being so pushy that pushed them away. Both with the Beatles and with Wings. Even Denny."

"John wants this as much as me. He told me. Rich will do it in a heartbeat. It's George that's the problem. We don't want to pressure him. Neither of us. I mean John or me."

"That's right." She turned her attention to the kids, "STELLA! STAY IN THE CIRCLE." The girl had been riding up out of the valley. She turned around after Linda yelled at her. Now Linda went on, "But it was George who got you all together for Rich's number one single."

"It was his idea." He sighed and pushed the cowboy hat back. "You know in the early days, when it was just the three of us without a drummer, we once just went full out of steam. We gave up. Just stopped playing together. The Quarrymen were over and done with. Then George got a gig and you know what he did? He took it and called John and me to play with him. We all say John started the band. But it died. George restarted us. Then we got a drummer and added Stu and became the Beatles. You could say we joined George's band. Then and now."

"So?"

"So maybe we can do that again?"

"Paul, I have a wild idea. Call Billy."

"Billy Preston! That's a winner, babe."