If World War II Never Happened: A FIFA World Cup Timeline

Introduction
If World War II Never Happened: A FIFA World Cup Timeline
By NTF aka Seb

The 1942 and 1946 FIFA World Cups were cancelled because of World War II, leaving football fans left to ponder who would have won those tournaments. Myself included, hence why I am making this timeline. There are some unofficial champions of the lost World Cups, depending on who you ask. The Mapuche that won in Patagonia. Sweden in Nazi Germany. But ‘unofficial’ won’t do! Who would have really won the World Cups that the Second World War took from us? As the 'butterflies' also lead to World Cups after the 1940s being different, tournaments well beyond that time will also be covered.

Point of divergence
The point of divergence is that Germany never invades Poland. Either because Hitler feels content after Anschluss and the occupation of Czechoslovakia’s Sudetenland, or because the Polish corridor is surrendered following political pressure but without an invasion. This is the most plausible POD in my opinion, or perhaps ‘least implausible’ would be a better way of phrasing it. Unfortunately, it’s too unrealistic to ‘butterfly’ away the Nazis in my opinion. It’s also unfortunate because it means we won’t see Austria play, even though they would have been title contenders. Another notable change is that Czechoslovakia will play as 'Bohemia and Moravia', due to the puppet regime installed by the Nazis.

Though historians argue on when exactly the Second World War began, it is relatively widely accepted that Germany’s invasion of Poland triggered it. Condemnation from other political leaders aside, Hitler could have probably gotten away with Anschluss and the invasion of Czechoslovakia without being barred from the international community and major sporting events such as the World Cup.

Without Germany weakening France and Britain, it’s highly unlikely Italy would’ve invaded them. It's also doubtful Japan would've attacked Pearl Harbour, to make a long story short. However, they would presumably still be busy with the Sino-Japanese war, meaning their participation at the 1942 or even '46 World Cup is improbable. That said, Japan wouldn't be banned from the 1950 edition as in OTL, nor would the Germans. But more on that later. Let's not get ahead of ourselves! Another difference is that the Soviet Union doesn't launch any invasions due to the slightly less hostile political and militaristic landscape, meaning the Baltic states remain independent [1].

----
[1] Other consequences are of course possible, but I think these are the least improbable ones, if only arguably by a small margin. Regardless, the main focus of this ATL is football, so I don't wanna put too heavy a focus on politics, even though it's also relevant and interesting.

Greetings and welcome to my new TL. As I recently finished my Nations League TL (again), I figured I have the time to invest in this! Looking forward to it and I hope you are too.

Last edited:
I think Hungary and Italy will win, in this order - and as for Germany, even a less bellicose Hitler would still be, well, Hitler; I doubt he's going to leave Germany's Jews and other undesirables alone. Either he decides to do something akin to OTL's Madagascar Plan, except he'd have to settle the Jews somewhere else, or he still goes for the genocide route, and in that case, people outside of Germany could barely believe it was happening while a war against Germany was taking place, let alone here, in a world where Chamberlain's "peace for our time" was achieved.

Where were the 1942 and 1946 World Cups due to take place please?

Is Imperial Japan banned from the competition or just too busy?

Prelude to the 1942 FIFA World Cup
Part 1 - Going Through Withdrawal
Prelude to the 1942 FIFA World Cup

Argentina, Brazil and Germany launched bids to host the 1942 FIFA World Cup [1]. The South Americans were furious that Germany’s bid was even contemplated since the two preceding World Cups were hosted by European countries. Nevertheless, FIFA awarded hosting rights to Argentina [2]. The 1942 FIFA World Cup was to be played from 24 June to 18 July. The 16 participating teams were drawn into four groups of four, with each group winner and runner-up advancing to the knockout stage [3].

Due to the previous animosity between Europe and South America when it came to attending World Cups hosted by the other continent, FIFA was determined to avoid another such debacle. As there were no straight-up boycotts because of that, they succeeded to an extent, but the qualifiers still saw some withdrawals. India, the Phillippines and Dutch East Indies were not keen on travelling all the way to South America, especially the latter of the three, who had a poor showing at the previous World Cup. Japan was too busy in the war with China to enter. This prompted FIFA to invite Mandatory Palestine [4], also known as Eretz Israel, to represent Asia. They made their maiden World Cup appearance along with Bulgaria, while Czechoslovakia debuted under the name 'Bohemia and Moravia', following Germany's invasion. South America saw qualification withdrawals too, namely Ecuador and Peru. Egypt were invited to represent Africa, albeit in the European qualifiers, but declined entry.

1942 world cup groups.png

1942 venues.jpg

Venues. Graphic created by jycee.

--------
[1] As in OTL.

[2] A few of you may have noticed I wrote Brazil were awarded hosting rights in the opening post. That part of the post was deleted, as I realized it makes more sense for Argentina to host this World Cup, due to their superior stadium capacity. Keep in mind that some of Brazil’s biggest stadiums, which were used as venues for the 1950 tournament, weren’t built at the time. Argentina was the more favourable 1942 candidate.

[3] The 1938 (and ‘34) World Cup was a straight knockout, but I think a South American country would’ve opted for this format instead. It’s how the inaugural 1930 World Cup in Uruguay was played. The Copa America also consisted of a round robin, though without a knockout stage. Additionally, there would be a clear economic incentive for Argentina to do so, since it earns them more money from ticket sales. The 1950 World Cup in Brazil notably didn’t have a knockout stage, but I think that was because three teams withdrew. If they didn't, I don’t think the tournament would've had a second group stage as in OTL. The format also assures a team of at least three matches, which gives European teams more reason to make the long journey to South America.

[4] Don’t be fooled by the name. It’s the predecessor to Israel.

Let me know your predictions! See you in the next part!

Last edited:
Would India, Phillippines and Dutch East Indies even be able to field a team when they were not a 'country' as such? Or do they count as 'Dominions' and therefore qualify like Canada and Australia et all?

Speaking of which were are they? You'd think South Africa, Australia, Canada, or New Zealand would produce some decent footballers? Esp compared to Mandatory Palestine, and war-torn Bohemia and Moravia?

Also no British team is even in the group stages?

Would India, Phillippines and Dutch East Indies even be able to field a team when they were not a 'country' as such? Or do they count as 'Dominions' and therefore qualify like Canada and Australia et all?

Speaking of which were are they? You'd think South Africa, Australia, Canada, or New Zealand would produce some decent footballers? Esp compared to Mandatory Palestine, and war-torn Bohemia and Moravia?

Also no British team is even in the group stages?
India's first FIFA-recognized match was played in 1938, so I think yes. The Phillippines were FIFA members and the Dutch East Indies even played in OTL's 1938 World Cup.

Canada and Australia were not FIFA members at the time. South Africa were FIFA members if I recall correctly, but they still didn't even try to enter the World Cup until 1966 (unsuccessfully), so I don't see why they would do so in 1942.

The British teams left FIFA in the late 1920s and didn't return until 1946. However, I think it's possible they return earlier without WW2, though not by 1942.

Given that this World Cup is being played in Argentina, them winning is the obvious prediction... so I kind of expect them not to win, Maracanazo style, lol.

But there are good reasons to think Argentina can go all the way, beyond the home advantage. With River Plate's historic La Máquina at the core of the NT, spearheaded by one of the arguable best players of the 20th century (José Manuel Moreno), and having proven themselves capable of getting silverware already in the 1941 Copa América, this Argentina squad is something to be feared. I doubt anyone other than Italy, Hungary (incidentally both in the same group, maybe one will fail to reach the knockouts..) and perhaps Germany can offer much resistance to the gauchos.

Mandatory Palestine reveived quite a number of German Jewish refugees, and there would near certainly be a good number of decent footballers among them. Also Bohemia and Moravia wouldn't be war torn, this is after all a TL where Czechoslovakia, just like IOTL, had been forced to first surrender the Sudeten region to Germany and then for Czechia to accept protectorate status as Bohemia and Moravia without any military resistance.

India's first FIFA-recognized match was played in 1938, so I think yes. The Phillippines were FIFA members and the Dutch East Indies even played in OTL's 1938 World Cup.

Canada and Australia were not FIFA members at the time. South Africa were FIFA members if I recall correctly, but they still didn't even try to enter the World Cup until 1966 (unsuccessfully), so I don't see why they would do so in 1942.

The British teams left FIFA in the late 1920s and didn't return until 1946. However, I think it's possible they return earlier without WW2, though not by 1942.
That is very interesting info, thank you.

Did Britain try to set up an Alternative organisation?

That is very interesting info, thank you.

Did Britain try to set up an Alternative organisation?
No. If I recall correctly, the British countries left FIFA due to a dispute when it came to paying amateur players.

You have to realise that the World Cup was not nearly as well-established and respected then as it is now. Most people viewed the Olympics as the more important football tournament.

Many of the Brits, as inventors of the game, even considered the Home Championship to be bigger than the World Cup.

1942 FIFA World Cup Group Stage
Part 2 - Mandatory Drama
1942 FIFA World Cup Group Stage

Hosts Argentina ran riot in Group 1, starting off with a 4-1 win over Bohemia and Moravia, and that was only the beginning. The next matchday saw the most entertaining match of the tournament - a spectacular 7-3 triumph against Mexico. However, it wasn't the heaviest win in the group, as Belgium were obliterated 6-1 in their third match. Bohemia and Moravia's opening defeat seemed to confirm the concern that they would lack unity when not competing as 'Czechoslovakia', following the protectorate status imposed by Germany. This notion proved to be false, though, at least on the football pitch. The Czechs defeated Belgium 3-1 to get back on track and edged out Mexico 1-0 to secure their place in the quarter-finals. Belgium and Mexico drew 1-1 with each other in a tournament which was disappointing for both of them.

1942 group 1.png

Group 1 of the 1942 FIFA World Cup.

Group 2 was dramatic before it even began, with many Mandatory Palestine players threatening to withdraw if they were drawn into the same group as Germany [1], due to the rampant antisemitism in the country. While FIFA didn't impose such a restriction for the draw, the two ultimately ended up in different groups. The group was also dramatic because of what unfolded on the pitch; a two-horse race between Brazil and Spain. It was up to goal difference after their opening 1-1 draw [2]. Brazil went on to beat debutants Mandatory Palestine 6-1 and edged out Switzerland 2-1, in an encounter that was closer than expected. Meanwhile, Spain defeated Switzerland 3-2 and put seven past the debutants, who only found one consolation goal. Switzerland had a respectable World Cup, but their 4-1 win against Mandatory Palestine wasn't enough. Despite losing every match, the debutants could take pride in having scored in every game.

1942 group 2.png

Group 2 of the 1942 FIFA World Cup.

Uruguay made an overdue return to the World Cup, having boycotted the two previous editions, featuring in a really tough group. What a return it was - 2-1 against Germany, 3-2 against Sweden and a 6-1 demolition of Bulgaria, who made their maiden World Cup appearance. Second-placed Sweden hammered the Bulgarians 4-0 in their opener before securing their quarter-final ticket with a 3-2 triumph over Germany, who could only defeat the debutants - 3-0.

1942 group 3.png

Group 3 of the 1942 FIFA World Cup.

Two-time defending champions Italy lived up to the hype by winning every match in Group 4. First 3-1 versus powerhouse Hungary, then 2-0 against Paraguay and 2-1 against Chile. Hungary bounced back after their opening loss by breezing past Chile 2-0, seemingly getting a clear view of the knockout stage. However, despite a dominant performance versus Paraguay, who previously defeated Chile 2-0, it ultimately finished as a 1-1 draw. Nevertheless, Hungary proved to have another gear in the tiebreaker play-off [3] by winning 2-1. Chile seemed to be in low gear the entire tournament, losing every match and never being close to reaching the knockout stage [4].

1942 group 4.png

Group 4 of the 1942 FIFA World Cup.

1942 world cup knockout 1.png

Knockout stage of the 1942 FIFA World Cup.

----------
[1] While there weren't as many Jews there then as there are now, there were certainly enough to threaten such a boycott.
[2] Note that goal average was not used at a World Cup until 1958.
[3] FIFA had pretty weird tiebreakers back then. At the 1954 and 1958 World Cups, if the group winner and runner-up were tied on points, goal difference (goal average in 1958) split them. But if the runner-up and third-placed team were tied on points, a play-off split them. At the 1950 World Cup there were notably play-offs to determine the group winner (was never required, though), but I think that was because only the winner advanced. If two advanced from each group, I think the tiebreakers would be the same as in the 1954 and 1958 tournaments.
[4] I used the same knockout stage matchup process as in the 1958 World Cup, as opposed to a draw like was done in 1954. Note that the 1958 process could yield the exact same matchups as the 1954 draw procedure, so it's kind of a moot point.

Let me know your predictions for the quarter-finals!

Last edited:
Sounds like a bunch of hard scrappy matches for some there, and breezes for others.

Interesting selection going forward.

1942 FIFA World Cup - Knockout Stage
Part 3 - "Tre di fila!"
1942 FIFA World Cup - Knockout Stage

Reigning South American champions and hosts Argentina [1] picked off from where they left off in the group stage, taking the lead against Brazil before even five minutes were played. This lead was doubled 20 minutes later and it seemed Argentina's semi-final ticket was sealed. Brazil's 40th-minute consolation placed the Argentinians in somewhat of a tentative position for the first time in the tournament, especially during the second half when they inched closer and closer to the equalizer. But Argentina resisted, creating some chances themselves too, while advancing from the quarter-finals. They'd have to wait until the following day to see if their semi-final opponent will be Uruguay or Hungary. In the meantime, they probably listened to the dramatic affair between Spain and Bohemia and Moravia on the radio. It seemed a routine match at first. Spain opened the scoring halfway through the first half, but the Czechoslovaks equalized almost instantly as the second one began. The game was very much back and forth. Chance after chance. Many tough challenges, though within the laws of the game. Still no goals. At least until the very last minute. A classic toe-poke was enough to send Spain into the final four for the first time in history.

The 1930 champions Uruguay were no strangers to playing in a World Cup semi-final, but they'd still have to earn their place by defeating Hungary. It looked easy at first, thanks to Uruguay's early lead and when they made it 2-0 before the break, it seemed all but over. With the screaming tens of thousands of Uruguayans in attendance, it's unlikely the Hungarian manager could make himself heard, even in the dressing room. But evidently and needless to say, his words got across. Before the 55th minute, Hungary had already made it 2-1 and 2-2. The Uruguayans initially appeared shaken and unprepared for the onslaught, but they came to their senses, ultimately finding the winning goal in the 75th minute. Italy were probably shaken in the day's other quarter-final when Sweden found an early lead against them. It was only temporary, though, as the Italians found three goals in the first half. Their momentum persisted in the second half, culminating in a fourth goal, while Sweden's strike in the dying minutes only served as consolation.

Argentina lost the inaugural 1930 World Cup final against Uruguay in Montevideo. Now the two stood against each other in Buenos Aires at Estadio Monumental - which was built four years earlier - with a ticket to the final on the line. The Uruguayan goalkeeper should have stayed on his line to prevent Argentina from going ahead in the 15th minute thanks to an audacious chip. However, he did make up for his mistake by providing a fantastic assist to Uruguay's equalizer with a piercing goal kick 16 minutes later. The first half was even, as was the second, but to a lesser extent. Argentina became ever so slightly better as the game progressed, making it 2-1 in the 75th minute and adding a third on an emphatic counterattack coming on the back of a seemingly lethal final Uruguayan push. Italy were lethal against Spain, becoming better and better as the tournament progressed - 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, and that was before the 45-minute mark was reached. The second half was diametrically different. You can hardly blame the Italians, though. All they had to do was protect the lead and maintain the clean sheet. While Spain's late consolation goal denied Italy a clean sheet, the Italians did secure their place in a staggering third consecutive World Cup final. Italy's dream of tre di fila - three in a row- was well within reach.

The third-place play-off saw an expected start, with Uruguay going in front in the 17th minute. Then something less expected happened. Spain equalized and took the lead within the span of two minutes. More twists were to come, however. Uruguay made it 2-2 around 30 minutes into the second half and added the winner in the 84th. Two World Cups. Two medals [2]. Ahead and during the final, "tre di fila" chants echoed across Italy - and Argentina. Though officially an away match for Italy, one can't forget about the big Italian community in Argentina. Nevertheless, the support in Buenos Aires tilted more in Argentina's favour, albeit by quite a narrow margin. "Narrow margins" is also a cliche in football, but it is what Italy needed to take the lead against Argentina. Had the Azzurri's 21st-minute header deflected just two inches more to the right, the post would have guided it out instead of into the net. Argentina equalized before the half-time whistle in a very even match, as one expects in a World Cup final. One also expects intense challenges, moments of individual brilliance, a yellow card or two, or three - all of which could be seen in the second half. In the 79th minute, an Italian defender was forced to make a little too intense a challenge inside the box due to a brilliant individual Argentinian performance, resulting in an indisputable yellow card and penalty decision. The spot kick was taken with equal conviction and won Argentina their first World Cup title in history.

1942 knockout.png

Knockout stage of the 1942 FIFA World Cup.

1942 infobox.jpg

Infobox was created by jycee.

--------------
[1] There's no 1942 South American Championship in TTL.
[2] Uruguay's Olympic titles have retroactively been attributed as World Cup titles too, hence the four stars on their match kits, but you get the idea.

Let me know what you think of this timeline so far and stay tuned for the next part, which will show the prelude to the 1946 FIFA World Cup!

Last edited:
Really good ATL and even the results between the teams seems plausible for those who are familiar with the footballing sides of the time.

I think the only team missing is France, who competed in the first three WC tournaments, so probably should've have been here too.

Really good ATL and even the results between the teams seems plausible for those who are familiar with the footballing sides of the time.

I think the only team missing is France, who competed in the first three WC tournaments, so probably should've have been here too.
Thanks. Good to know people are liking this.

I have the qualifiers 'behind the scenes', and France fail to qualify since they lose to Switzerland. France were decent back then, but not great. No law of nature that they qualify.