If the Confederacy Wins the Civil War, Does the United States Move Its Capital?

If the Confederacy Loses the Civil War, Does the United States Move Its Capital?

• Yes

Votes: 58 51.8%
  • No

Votes: 54 48.2%

• Total voters

Anaxagoras

Banned
If the Union loses the Civil War, would the United States move its capital from Washington City to some other place?

My personal guess is no. The peace provisions would mean that enough of Virginia is snipped off to make Washington safe for the Union, and it would be a point of pride that they would not move the capital in the face of a foreign threat.

That being said, I would imagine provisions would be made to ensure that the United States government can function in a time of war without the fear of harassment by a foreign power. I'd expect that there would be a place where "back up" institutions would be readied and probably most important information would be stored outside of Washington lest it fall into enemy hands. Philadelphia or New York would be my bets where this would be set up.

TFSmith121

Banned
Yeah, it depends on whether or not the border states go over to the C.S. side. Or if the U.S. loses control of D.C.

True - as it was, almost from the beginning of the conflict, the US was on the offensive and liberating "rebel" territory. There are a series of maps available at the MHC website that lay out the front lines year by year; the rebels are retreating from the spring of 1861:

http://www.history.army.mil/html/bookshelves/resmat/civil_war/Maps/1CW-1861-1865.pdf

Best,

Anaxagoras

Banned
Have to define "lose" since when and how pretty much define the boundaries.

Assume that the war ends with the border between the CSA and the USA being the Potomac River.

The POD isn't especially important and can be any number of different things, so please be a gentleman and don't derail the thread.

TFSmith121

Banned
Assume that the war ends with the border between the CSA and the USA being the Potomac River.

The POD isn't especially important and can be any number of different things, so please be a gentleman and don't derail the thread.

Rather a pointless question if you don't want to base it on "something" factual....

Best,

TFSmith121

Banned
Facts are fine (I actually like the handy dandy chart), but it's the "Well the South didn't win OTL so they obviously can't win no matter what" that gets me.

Since we have yet to see an explanation of the glorious confederate victory that passed the laugh test, feel free.

Demographic and economic wealth of 3-1 odds or more in the 1860s in the United States is only going to end one way.

Best,

Rather a pointless question if you don't want to base it on "something" factual....

Best,
You can do what literally everyone else does, headcanon one of the dozens of PODs on the website. That said, if it's not a Confederate defeat you won't accept them no matter what, so this is a pointless comment.

TFSmith121

Banned
Well, if Maryland successfully seceded, that would suggest one answer, would it not?

If it doesn't, that suggests another.

The OP offered zero detail.

Best,

Since we have yet to see an explanation of the glorious confederate victory that passed the laugh test, feel free.

Demographic and economic wealth of 3-1 odds or more in the 1860s in the United States is only going to end one way.

Best,
Because of course the Northern folk are emotionless robots, who don't mind watching their sons die by the thousands and won't force the government to stop if the conflict seems to be going nowhere (in one of the dozens of PODs on the site that you simply won't accept because the North loses)

TFSmith121

Banned
Because of course the Northern folk are emotionless robots, who don't mind watching their sons die by the thousands and won't force the government to stop if the conflict seems to be going nowhere (in one of the dozens of PODs on the site that you simply won't accept because the North loses)

Considering the rebels were constantly losing their claimed territory from 1861 onwards, that seems unlikely, does it not?

How many American wars in the Nineteenth Century were ended by domestic political opposition, again?

Best,

Considering the rebels were constantly losing their claimed territory from 1861 onwards, that seems unlikely, does it not?

How many American wars in the Nineteenth Century were ended by domestic political opposition, again?

Best,
I think you're missing the little fact this is ALTERNATE HISTORY. You know, things happening different from OTL? In an alternate history the South could, shock gasp, do better than OTL and wear down the Northern will.

But enough, this is just derailing the thread. Back to Anaxagoras's question, no I don't think they'd move the capital. It might look like weakness if they did. But, as some people have said and as one of the few things people agree Turtledove did good, there would be a "backup" capital somewhere else for times of war.

TFSmith121

Banned
I think you're missing the little fact this is ALTERNATE HISTORY. You know, things happening different from OTL? In an alternate history the South could, shock gasp, do better than OTL and wear down the Northern will.

But enough, this is just derailing the thread. Back to Anaxagoras's question, no I don't think they'd move the capital. It might look like weakness if they did. But, as some people have said and as one of the few things people agree Turtledove did good, there would be a "backup" capital somewhere else for times of war.

Well, the US undoubtedly would move the capital if Maryland successfully seceded...

And if Maryland didn't but Virginia did, the US cleared the southern shore of the Potomac in 1861-62...

That's if, presumably, the POD had to fit somewhere within the decade of the 1860s.

Best,