If Gore Wins in 2000, Who Wins in 2004 and 2008?

The POD is Al Gore chooses Bob Graham instead of Joe Lieberman as his running mate in 2000. With Graham at his side, Gore wins a narrow majority in Florida and becomes the 43rd President of the United States in January 2001. In your estimation, who would've won the Presidency in 2004 and 2008 if Gore had triumphed in 2000?

Relevant questions:
- Does 9/11 still happen?
- If the first answer is yes, how does Gore react to it? (Anti-Taliban campaign?)
- If no go further...

- Does an Iraq invasion still happen?

Important matters.

If 9/11 happens and Gore reacts the same as Bush or just going against terrorism by toppling the Taliban he may be reelected in 2004. If the Iraq War happens, I wonder how the Republicans will react. It would make Gore lose popularity. The Republicans may win the election in 2004 then.

I would not know who would win the candidacy for the Democrats and Republicans in 2004 and 2008 so it is hard to say who could win.

If 9/11 still happens, and the response is similar to OTL Bush's, Al Gore might manage a victory in 2004. As to 2008, it's most likely a GOP candidate that wins, given that the Dems are controlling the White House for 16 years then.

If there's no 9/11, or Gore bungles up the War On Terror, then he loses in 2004. I'm going to give John McCain the likely GOP candidate in this scenario.

Well if the Gore Presidency is the perfection that some ATL posts suggest, he's President for Life... (sarcasm)

He could have jerked off in his office for 4-8 years, and he still would have been better than Bush. It's easy for an ATL to seem like a wank because of how awful Bush's Presidency was, and how easy it was to fix a lot of issues.

I think McCain (or someone similar) narrowly defeats Gore in 2004, despite the fact that I think Gore would handle 9/11 (if it happens with Gore in the WH), better than Bush. 12 years of Democratic rule, a relentless right wing attack machine against Gore, and a so so recovery from the Dot Com Bust make Gore a one termer. He'd basically be remembered as a Democratic version of HW Bush. 2008 would depend on when a financial crisis hits. If it happens on schedule, the Democrats win, if it's delayed past the fall of 2008, President McCain defeats Democratic nominee (Hillary if the Dems think they have a chance, Lieberman if they need a Mondale or Dole to take one for the team). 2010 and 2012 are Democratic sweeps.

I think McCain (or someone similar) narrowly defeats Gore in 2004, despite the fact that I think Gore would handle 9/11 (if it happens with Gore in the WH), better than Bush. 12 years of Democratic rule, a relentless right wing attack machine against Gore, and a so so recovery from the Dot Com Bust make Gore a one termer. He'd basically be remembered as a Democratic version of HW Bush. 2008 would depend on when a financial crisis hits. If it happens on schedule, the Democrats win, if it's delayed past the fall of 2008, President McCain defeats Democratic nominee (Hillary if the Dems think they have a chance, Lieberman if they need a Mondale or Dole to take one for the team). 2010 and 2012 are Democratic sweeps.

I think Gore has a change winning in 2004, especially if he does well with 9/11 and so on. I don’t think the GOP can attack him for that and since Gore wouldn’t do an Iraq, not many options that wouldn’t make them look like jerks.

Vaporized

Banned
9/11 will happen under any administration. Gore does invade Afghanistan, but probably puts more troops in so that Bin Laden is killed before being able to enter Tora Bora. Afghanistan is occupied until 2006 after the Kabul government is able to stand its own and the last remnants of the Taliban surrender or flee elsewhere. There is no invasion of Iraq. A mild recession does occur in 2005. Al-Qaeda's leaders are killed or captured by 2010.

Saddam Hussein and his sons are forced to flee Iraq after the Arab Spring removes them from power in 2012 and a military junta takes over. Islamists are not welcome in Iraq. Of course America has to do what it can militarily to encourage regime change by helping the Iraqi insurgency against him. Some of those weapons make it onto the black market.

After twelve years of Democrat rule, a Republican is elected in 2004.

PNWKing

Banned
2004: Mitt Romney or Rudy Giuliani
2008: Tom Daschle, John Kerry, Terry McAuliffe, or Barack Obama

9/11 will happen under any administration. Gore does invade Afghanistan, but probably puts more troops in so that Bin Laden is killed before being able to enter Tora Bora. Afghanistan is occupied until 2006 after the Kabul government is able to stand its own and the last remnants of the Taliban surrender or flee elsewhere. There is no invasion of Iraq. A mild recession does occur in 2005. Al-Qaeda's leaders are killed or captured by 2010.

Saddam Hussein and his sons are forced to flee Iraq after the Arab Spring removes them from power in 2012 and a military junta takes over. Islamists are not welcome in Iraq. Of course America has to do what it can militarily to encourage regime change by helping the Iraqi insurgency against him. Some of those weapons make it onto the black market.

After twelve years of Democrat rule, a Republican is elected in 2004.
that is not so cut and dry that 9/11 happens very well could be stopped before by the FBI or other police agency does that mean that they don't try anouther hijacking attack at a later time no it does not and with out some of the stuff like cockpit doors it might happen at a later date

The stereotypical answer by now is that Gore loses to McCain in 2004, who loses in 2008 to somebody in the wake of the Great Recession. Obviously there are tons of facts to play with and mold, but this is what the play-doh looks like in the can.

9/11 will happen under any administration.

Indeed. But perhaps not to the same extent.
Cooperation between agencies was bad prior to 9/11 and the FBI could have arrested some of the hijackers (or at least have looked for them within the US) with the appropriate information from CIA.

There is the possibility that parts of the plot are exposed and some teams do not make it aboard on time. It all depends on who‘s Gore going to position in key sectors.

Butterflies from a Gore-election are also unpredictable. Have Flight-93 leave on time and you have anohter plane flying into a building, probably in the Capitol. The same goes however the other way around; any other flight delayed may mean less deaths in NYC & Washington.

The stereotypical answer by now is that Gore loses to McCain in 2004, who loses in 2008 to somebody in the wake of the Great Recession. Obviously there are tons of facts to play with and mold, but this is what the play-doh looks like in the can.

I think if fundamental economic factors are unchanged by 2005, the recession probably unfolds more or less as in OTL and McCain loses in 2008. That would be really bad for the GOP - after 12 years of Democrats, they can only score 4 years in the White House before the Democrats win again.

I think the Democratic nominee in 2008 would probably be HRC. If the economy is still bad, she wins (maybe with Obama as VP). If the economic crisis is delayed until after the election, she loses.

If Gore's reelected, it's probably Jeb!

c6c.jpg