I AM NOT MAD [A Radical Enlightened Denmark-Norway]

Zillian

Gone Fishin'
It is something I need to find out but no, US would not automatic become OTL powerful with the western expansion somewhat cut off.
This is at last a huge win for the Native Americans and I planned to see about I could create a independent state there but I do not know very much about the American history.
I am open for suggestions.

This is a correct thread about this subject
https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...l-for-the-treaty-of-paris-is-accepted.477555/

Chapter 17: The Pawning Issue

Zillian

Gone Fishin'
Chapter 17: The Pawning Issue
As delegates from belligerent nations engaged in negotiations to bring about an end on the American Independent War, another kind of negotiation happen elsewhere in Westminster. According to the treaty of 1780 between Great Britain and Denmark-Norway, they were obligated to renegotiated two treaties from 1670 and from 1667. In this occasion, King George invited his sister Queen Caroline Mathilde, her husband Christian VII and their children; 12-year old son Crown Prince Valdemar and 15-year old Princess Louise Augusta over to his palace for a family gathering but also to discuss the two treaties. One of them was a major headache for the British government.

The Treaty of Copenhagen from 1670 was a treaty of commerce and alliance signed on July 11, 1670 between King Christian V of Denmark-Norway and Charles II of England. That part was easily enough, and a new treaty of commerce was drafted up to solve all trade problems between the two countries. After the Danish-Norwegian contribution to the American War of Independence, Great Britain became convinced in bringing this realm into their sphere of influence. Their Royal Navy may have been the biggest fleet in the Europe but in the case of a future war against France and hers alliance, then the united French-Spanish fleet would be superior to the Royal Navy but if they can allow themselves to borrow some Danish ships once again, then the British-Danish fleet rule the seas supreme. Of this reason Great Britain offered a full military and commercial alliance with Denmark-Norway and allowed the smaller kingdom across the North Sea to expanding their navy to the planned 60 ships of line and 40 frigates.

But the demand on the renegotiation of the Treaty of Breda including a reopen of negotiation of the Pawling issue to a later date and the question who truly owned the two group of islands north of Scotland – Orkney and Shetland – something the Scottish and later the British government had tried to ignore. Now it would be an insult to the face of their new allied across the North Sea if they once again refuse to renegotiation this issue especially when they were responsible for a British victory in the late stage of the American War of Independence.

The British minister from the new Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs Francis Osborne, the Marquess of Carmarthen, declared Great Britain wouldn’t cede one meter British soil to a foreign power but Minister Bernstorff, the Danish representant, pointed out that the Northern Isles was never an part of Scotland nor Great Britain and Christian VII want very much paying those islands back for 210 kg of gold. The negotiation almost broken down until Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger intervened and suggested that the Northern Island would get a full autonomy as a Crown Dependency of Great Britain in return for a strip of land along the Labrador coast in North America.

For Great Britain, the trade make sense as Labrador aren’t strategic important compare to the Northern Isles and for Denmark-Norway, the Northern Isles was more or less worthless compare to the mineral rich Labrador coast with access to the Grand Banks and it could supply the frozen wasteland of Greenland with timbers instead imported those from Norway. Of this reason, King Christian VII jumped and accepted the trade for Labrador in return for give up the claims on the Northern Isles but demanded that the people of the islands were allowed to form their own legislature and identity as the islands were owned by them according to the udal law.

Treaty of Orkney 1784

· The Northern Isles would become a Crown Dependency of Great Britain

· Earldom of Orkney would be forfeit

· The Northern Isles are allowed to form its own legislature and pursue its own national identity.

· The Northern Isles would be governing under the Udal law

· King Christian VII pays a symbolic amount of 210 kg gold

· As king of Norway, Christian VII would forfeit his claims on the Northern Isles on behalf of the former Norway Council of State.

· United Kingdom of Great Britain would cede Labrador to Kingdom of Denmark-Norway

According to the Saga of Greenlanders and Saga of Erik the Red, the Viking ancestors had discovered North America and named those regions as Greenland, Helluland, Markland and Vinland. The accuracy of the two saga was strengthen when some ruined Norse settlements was discovered in 1732 in Greenland and according to an Icelandic document from 1347, a ship arrived at Iceland after being blown off course on its way home from Markland to Greenland with a load of timbers. Of this reason King Christian VII decided Labrador shall be renamed to Markland and a new settlement shall be built to the honour of the Norse Explorer Leif Eriksson who discovered North America.

Zillian

Gone Fishin'
I like the name "Leifborg"

Now the question are where to build such a settlement which also would serve as the new capital of Markland and an link between Greenland and the Danish-Norwegian Realm at large?
As you can see in the map below, 5 settlements in Labrador were created in 18th century. Where should Leifborg being built or should one of the existed settlements just renaming to Leifborg?

37Qtafx.png

I like the name "Leifborg"

Now the question are where to build such a settlement which also would serve as the new capital of Markland and an link between Greenland and the Danish-Norwegian Realm at large?
As you can see in the map below, 5 settlements in Labrador were created in 18th century. Where should Leifborg being built or should one of the existed settlements 8just renaming to Leifborg?

I would say it's a choice between Rigolet, Cartwright and North West River. Rigolet are at the northern border of forest growth. Which pretty much means that no timber camps north of that settlement. North West River have the best climate and soil, but it lies pretty far into a major inlet (Lake Melville is a salt water inlet). Both Cartwright and Rigolet lies better for fishing and access from the sea, but the climate is colder. If I had to choose I would simply found a settlement slighly south of North West River at Churchil River.

Beside that Lake Melville shores is one of the two places where marginal agriculture is possible and the better one of the two.

https://www.faa.gov.nl.ca/forestry/maps/eco_lab.html
lab_region.jpg

lab_regions6.jpg

The blue region (F) is pretty much the best area for agriculture in Labrador. Of course by agriculture we're pretty much limited to potatoes, oats, barley and at last rye in the good years.

lab_regions8.jpg

This is the areas (H), where limited agriculture is technical possible using a slash and burn technic used by the Forest Finns and the really robust crops. In the rest of labrador you would be limited to small gardens.

Any agriculture Markland would have would be to domestic consumption to feed the local fisher, miners and lumberjacks. It could likely feed a significant population, but the population limit would likely be that few people would wish to move there for agriculture. So mining and timber would be the main reason people migrated there.

The early population would likely be a mix of Norwegians, Icelanders and Forest Finns. They would likely settle around Lake Melville (which by the way haven't received that name yet, so what about Christiansfjord). I imagine that area E, F and H would mostly have European population. The coastline north of Lake Melville would mostly be populated by Greenlandic style Inuits who kept using their original languages, while the population on the coastline south of Lake Melville would likely be mixed race Inuit and European, likely with a shift to the Danish language. The Forest Finns would likely early live in region F, but migrate to region H in time and their language could very well survive in isolated settlements. The Danish dialects spoken in Labrador I would suspect would end up mostly similar to Gøtudanskt[1].

[1]

Chapter 18: Family Schimmelmann

Zillian

Gone Fishin'
Chapter 18: Family Schimmelmann
Ernst_Heinrich_von_Schimmelmann_1827.jpg

Duke Ernst Heinrich von Schimmelmann

The Nordic Richest man Henrich Carl von Schimmelmann died at 16 February 1782 in an age of 57 year. He left his wealth, his earned nobility title of duke, estates and the trade empire to his son Ernst Heinrich von Schimmelmann. King Christian VII was broken by his friend’s dead and appointed Ernst Heinrich as his new Minister of Finance.

Ernst Heinrich may be the richest man in North, but his trade empire experienced a harsh time during the American War of Independence as trade with France, Holland, Spain and the new United States were closed off to a point the plantations in Danish West Indies almost went in bankrupt and only kept afloat by British Industry. The two pirate islands in Virgin Islands have been take over by Denmark-Norway and the piracy activity in the region finally pacified but the new Minister of Finance realised that the Danish West Indies Colony was now worthless speciality with the Trans-Atlantic Slave trade had been ended and the Colony won’t survive if Caribbean and the mainland America turns into a warzone once again.

Instead Ernst Heinrich turned his eyes at Denmark-Norway’s new holding in Gold Coast. In 1784, he created with the King’s blessing the Guinea Company and appointed himself as its new president. Instead exporting slaves, he would now try to establish plantations for sugar, coffee, cacao, tobacco and cotton just right there in the fertile soil of Gold Coast and maybe it would in the end being more practical and profitable with the expansive Trans-Atlantic route cut off.

Already next year, Ernst Heinrich reported about his initial success in the new Crown Plantation just north of Christiansborg to King Christian VII. Supported by the Danish-Norwegian government, the Gold Coast Governor Jens Adolph Kjøge established a numbers of slave-run plantations with sugar canes, coffee, cacao, tobacco, cotton, banana and fruits at Kongesten. The plantation operation in Africa seems to be promising, but unfortunately the operation was also extremely vulnerable to the political changes in the hinterland.

The capital of the Danish Gold Coast, Kongesten, was placed at the mouth of the large Volta River Basin and one of the most important trade posts in whole Gold Coast, but the river basin was also home to three African empires; Ashanti in south, Dagbon in middle and Mossi in north.

Ashanti Empire was a regional power, having a flourishing trade with other African empires and the Europeans due to sitting on a wealth of gold mines, hence the name Gold Coast, as well exportation of slaves. With an army on ten of thousands warriors, the empire used its military power to oppress other kingdoms and tribes in the Lower Volta River basin such as Denmark-Norway’s allied, the Fante Confederacy. To resist Danish dominance in the Gold Coast, Holland had allied itself with the Ashanti Empire.

The two other important trade posts at Gold Coast were the British controlled Fort Cape Coast and the formerly Dutch controlled Fort Elmina. With Holland kicked out of Gold Coast in the aftermath of the American War of Independence, Denmark-Norway could now reign the Gold Coast freely, but Ernst Heinrich knew that Denmark-Norway don’t have a manpower to withstand the Ashanti Empire. For now, the Ashanti empire was focusing on expanding northwards at the expense of the Dagbon Empire in an attempt to take over the terminus of the Trans-Sahara Route.

Ernst Heinrich took advantage of this situation and offered the Fante Confederacy and other tribes along the coast an offer, they can’t refuse. The Confederacy would provide manpower to the Danish-Norwegian plantations in return for a small wage and their warriors would be turned into colonial militia trained by Danish-Norwegian military advisors. In return, the Confederacy would become a protectorate.

This deal proved to be profitable as the natives agreed to serve Denmark-Norway as freemen in return for protection against Ashanti Empire and a wage. While Ernst Heinrich was against the Trans-Atlantic slave trade, he was not against the slavery itself but seeing the result in the Gold Coast plantations, he considered that he should release his own slaves in the West Indies and let them work in his plantations there in return for a small wage. Clearly slavery and serfdom were not profitable.

King Christian VII quick came to agreement and issued the Slavery Abolition Act, which stated the slavery and serfdom all over the Danish-Norwegian Realm would be abolished from year 1793.

8j2m4Vq.png

Timeline (1766-1784)

Zillian

Gone Fishin'
Timeline
26 February 1701 Royal Danish Navy Cadet School founded

26 August 1713 Royal Danish Army Cadet School founded

31 May 1721 240 Royal Elementary Schools established across Denmark

29 January 1749 Crown Prince Christian VII born

22 July 1751 Princess Caroline Matilde of Britain born

11 October 1753 Hereditary Prince Frederick

5 January 1762 Tension between Denmark-Norway and Russia

3 August 1763 First Saint-Germain Military Reform

17 February 1766 King Frederik V dies

8 November 1766 Official wedding ceremony

1 May 1767 Coronation of Christian VII and Caroline Matilde

28 January 1768 Born of Crown Prince Frederik

19 February 1768 Royal Danish Military Academy founded

6 May 1768 Embarking on an educational journey for nine months

23 July 1769 Second Saint-Germain Military Reform

7 August 1769 Princess Louise Augusta born

23 May 1769 Agricultural commission

16 May 1770 The Algerian Expedition

20 May 1770 Crown Prince Frederik Dies

16 March 1771 Regulation on the Negro Trade

20 April 1772 Act of Land Reform

2 August 1772 Royal Danish Artillery Cadet School founded

22 September 1772 Treaty of Vienna

27 September 1772 Act of Universal Conscription

4 January 1773 Royal Danish Cavalry School founded

28 May 1773 Crown Prince Valdemar born

20 October 1773 Act of Freedom of Printing

4 July 1776 United States of America declared themselves as an independent state

19 July 1778 France joins the American War of Independent on the side of U.S.

12 April 1779 Spain joins the American War of Independent on the side of U.S.

17 March 1780 Denmark joins the American War of Independent on the side of Britain

5 September 1781 British-Danish victory at the Battle of the Chesapeake Bay

15 March 1783 Treaty of London and the end of American War of Independent with a British pyrrhic victory

10 July 1784 Treaty of Orkney and Treaty of British-Danish alliance

It was technically an earldom (jarldom) following the covenant that brought the Commonwealth/Republic under the Norwegian Crown but I don't know if the office fell empty by the 1700s.
If denmark goes to war with sweden it would realistically take scania , gotland,bohuslan , halland and blekinge (basically the western coast of sweden)
Thought I could be wrong and there may be attempt to restore sovereignty over sweden (dont think it is realistically possible at this time anymore but i dont know a lot about swedish history so I migth be wrong )

Last edited:

Zillian

Gone Fishin'
I apologise I had more or less abandoned this timeline for both RL reason and a bit writing block. I am not that knowledge about the American history and I do not know what I should do with the US and the British America now.
However I am happy you have enjoyed my timeline and to your information I have finally bought the following set of books: Udenrigspolitiks historie, Danmarks krigshistorie and Gyldendal & Politikens Danmarkshistorie 1-17 (The history of danish foreign policy, the Danish history of war and the history of Denmark) so I have no longer an excuse not to go a library to get these books. I am also planning to write an medieval timeline either focusing on Copenhagen and its development to the Northern Venice or focusing on a North Sea Empire under Svend II Estridsen's rule. What do you think?

Chapter 19 is already written so I will release it later today