How would Napoleon's life have been had he escaped to America post-Waterloo?

People talking about how the "government would return him in a flash" need to keep in mind that this is 1815, there are no real border controls and the U.S. federal government is weak. Also, most Americans in 1815 lived in the countryside and probably had very limited access to news from Europe; most probably would have no idea what Napoleon looked like and probably only a vague idea about the wars that had gone on. Even if the U.S. government wanted him apprehended, it would likely be dependent on an individual state government to use its militia to hunt him down, and that state might balk. (Would Louisiana want to turn him over to the British?) He could well escape detection (due to either incompetence or indifference by the state government) for quite awhile.

People talking about how the "government would return him in a flash" need to keep in mind that this is 1815, there are no real border controls and the U.S. federal government is weak. Also, most Americans in 1815 lived in the countryside and probably had very limited access to news from Europe; most probably would have no idea what Napoleon looked like and probably only a vague idea about the wars that had gone on. Even if the U.S. government wanted him apprehended, it would likely be dependent on an individual state government to use its militia to hunt him down, and that state might balk. (Would Louisiana want to turn him over to the British?) He could well escape detection (due to either incompetence or indifference by the state government) for quite awhile.
+1.I don't think public opinion would react favorably to the Federal Government handling over a political refugee over to a bunch of European monarchs who believed in the Divine right of Kings.Nappy may be an Emperor,but at the very least he was legitimately elected Emperor by the people(he may have altered the result of the referendum,but he only made it to look better,he got a majority of votes in his favor even if he didn't fix the results).

TFSmith121

Banned
We had a similar thread a few months back...

We had a similar thread a few months back...

Given that N actually had relatives who were U.S. citizens, and who were of some wealth and position, and the other points that have been raised (refugee status, U.S.-French-British relations and history, size of the U.S. And lack of national law enforcement, etc), I'd expect he could live a quiet life in the U.S. If he so chose...

Visiting professor at West Point or Norwich, even.

Best,

Actually, I think Napoleon is likely to get bored in America. Far too stable, with mature political institutions and an politically educated populace. What he will likely do is seek opportunity elsewhere after a few months/years in the USA. Plenty of opportunities for a man of his undoubted talent: to my mind the First Mexican Empire presents such an opportunity — he is unlikely to want to become crowned, as that will cause him and Mexico too many problems. But he might serve as Iturbide's most loyal advisor, and heaven knows Iturbide needs all the help he can get.

Holy shit that sounds awesome. I feel like doing a TL about that.

Actually, I think Napoleon is likely to get bored in America. Far too stable, with mature political institutions and an politically educated populace. What he will likely do is seek opportunity elsewhere after a few months/years in the USA. Plenty of opportunities for a man of his undoubted talent: to my mind the First Mexican Empire presents such an opportunity — he is unlikely to want to become crowned, as that will cause him and Mexico too many problems. But he might serve as Iturbide's most loyal advisor, and heaven knows Iturbide needs all the help he can get.

Maybe, but I could honestly see him simply being tired after Waterloo. He was getting older, after all, and his health wasn't great. I don't think it's too unlikely he'd finally retire from politics for real and content himself with a quiet life in a countryside house somewhere.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'

There is a story about Napoleon helping the South Americans against the Spanish troops and becoming the dictator of Latin America... Finally, he tries to invade India, but dies in the sinking of his ship.

(If Napoleon had escaped to America, Herbert Albert Laurens Fischer).

Maybe, but I could honestly see him simply being tired after Waterloo. He was getting older, after all, and his health wasn't great. I don't think it's too unlikely he'd finally retire from politics for real and content himself with a quiet life in a countryside house somewhere.

I don't see him doing this. Even if he 'settles down' it will be some sort of military advising position, which will evolve into some sort of command. He just didn't know when to quit.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
Do you think he would still die of cancer in 1821 if he had had an absorbing occupation in his later life?

He wasn't old, actually. Other important persons lived much longer, even in the 19th century.

We'd been fighting Napoleon's regime in the XYZ affair, and Napoleon was the era's Hitler. So he would've at least faced least tough questions here. We might've sent him to Britain.

And he had Hitler's ego. I think there's no chance he'd even try fit in. And he'd probably try to take over here and get into trouble that way.

His bro made it trouble-free because we've held families responsible for what crooks do.

We'd been fighting Napoleon's regime in the XYZ affair, and Napoleon was the era's Hitler. So he would've at least faced least tough questions here. We might've sent him to Britain.

And he had Hitler's ego. I think there's no chance he'd even try fit in. And he'd probably try to take over here and get into trouble that way.

His bro made it trouble-free because we've held families responsible for what crooks do.
Napoleon was uninvolved in the XYZ affair.The XYZ affair happened during the Directory.Nor was he this era's Hitler really.Depending on the place,he's viewed quite positively.The man brought good laws and meritocracy.Didn't the American public see him quite positively as well for selling them Louisiana for a cheap price?

TFSmith121

Banned
Actually, the Quasi-war and the XYZ Affair were

Actually, the Quasi-war and the XYZ Affair occurred when the French Republic was under the Directory, largely, and although NB was a power in the Republic at that point, he was not the head of state - his coup was against the Directory, essentially.

NB's government(s), generally, had reasonably favorable relations with the US early on; the Quasi-War was ended, and of course the Louisiana Purchase was negotiated - it really didn't get to the "Napoleon's Troublesome Americans" phase until 1811-12, when a matter of a few votes could have taken the US to war against the French, rather than the British...

Best,

Last edited:
On what grounds would the US return him?If it contravenes the laws of the US,it's not going to happen.

On the grounds of not wanting the whole of Europe pissed off at them.

Early 19th century US wasn't the modern US. It was a weak nation on the edge of the world. It couldn't afford to alienate Europe, especially when there was nothing to gain by doing so.

I don't see Napoleon running off to live in the countryside though.
Even if he did try it he's not a woodsman. He couldn't do it alone. He would need an entourage. And this would increase chances of detection

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
He could escape to Haiti, where Bolivar lived for some time too. Just imagine him saying: "Sorry for the slavery-thing. But lets forget the past."

He could escape to Haiti, where Bolivar lived for some time too. Just imagine him saying: "Sorry for the slavery-thing. But lets forget the past."
He gets skinned alive there.I highly doubt he would be forgiven for trying to return the African Haitians there to the status of slavery.Seeing how the African Haitians basically led a genocide of the whites in Haiti,Bony's a dead man if he goes there.

There might be more than one european power asking for him - maybe together. I dont know if the USA would want another conflict with Britain so soon after 1812 but im sure that they wouldnt want a conflict with a bunch of European powers.

Now this, needs a TL.

I don't see Napoleon running off to live in the countryside though.
Even if he did try it he's not a woodsman. He couldn't do it alone. He would need an entourage. And this would increase chances of detection

He doesn't have to live on the frontier. He could live almost anywhere under an assumed name and few would know who he was. Even if people had heard of him, it's doubtful that many had any idea what he looked like. if he goes to Louisiana, which is predominantly French-speaking at this time, he'd be tough to identify out of a crowd.

Napoleon's main danger in America actually would probably be from the remaining émigré population in the large cities, who might identify him (and want him locked up) - but most of this community had returned to France by this time.