How Silent Fall the Cherry Blossoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geon

Donor
Dirty Work at the Crossroads!

Here is part 2 of the post war fate of Belgium, actually a flashback to the Kransberg Castle briefing of December 28, 1944 (see date in TL).
MIchel-I have fleshed out the reasons behind the plan to assassinate King Leopold in his family. I hope I have done well.
Geon
Date: December 28, 1944
Time: 10:00 a.m. (German time)

December 28, 1944 would be as black a day of infamy for Belgium as December 7, 1941 had been for the U.S. Shortly after the end of his military conference regarding the end of Operation Watch on the Rhine and Trojan Victory and immediately following his brief exchange with Goering, Adolph Hitler summoned Gruppenfuhrer Herman Fegelein to his office.

After accepting Fegelein’s salute, Hitler asked him to be seated. “I have a special task for you Gruppenfuhrer Fegelein. It must be carried out quickly.” “Yes, my Fuehrer,” replied Fegelein. “King Leopold and his family are being held under house arrest at Castle Hirchstein,” continued Hitler. “Himmler has informed me that King Leopold is one of those behind the attempt this past July on my life as well as a more recent attempt conspiring with Dr. Morell and others to have me poisoned. Accordingly it is necessary that he be dealt with in such a way as to ensure that others will understand once and for all the consequences of treason against the Reich. I want you personally to deal with this Herr Fegelein, do you understand me?” “Perfectly my Fuehrer,” said Fegelein a moment later. “Good,” said Hitler, “and Fegelein, I mean all of them!” “Again, I understand my Fuehrer,” Fegelein said. A few moments later Fegelein had left to complete his mission.

Alone in his office Hitler pondered his latest subterfuge. King Leopold III had served as a useful tool to help maintain order in Belgium while Germany occupied that nation. Now that control of that nation was effectively lost the King was no longer needed. Further, his elimination and that of his family would plunge the Belgian government into crisis, one that the Allies would have to take time to sort out. Disorder in Belgium would delay an Allied attack into the Reich allowing the Reich to strengthen its defenses.

Hitler settled back in his chair and began to consider an idea that had begun to occur to him in recent days, a plan that if all else failed would allow his beloved Reich to survive like the legendary phoenix.

Here is part 2 of the post war fate of Belgium, actually a flashback to the Kransberg Castle briefing of December 28, 1944 (see date in TL).
MIchel-I have fleshed out the reasons behind the plan to assassinate King Leopold in his family. I hope I have done well.
Geon
Date: December 28, 1944
Time: 10:00 a.m. (German time)

December 28, 1944 would be as black a day of infamy for Belgium as December 7, 1941 had been for the U.S. Shortly after the end of his military conference regarding the end of Operation Watch on the Rhine and Trojan Victory and immediately following his brief exchange with Goering, Adolph Hitler summoned Gruppenfuhrer Herman Fegelein to his office.

After accepting Fegelein’s salute, Hitler asked him to be seated. “I have a special task for you Gruppenfuhrer Fegelein. It must be carried out quickly.” “Yes, my Fuehrer,” replied Fegelein. “King Leopold and his family are being held under house arrest at Castle Hirchstein,” continued Hitler. “Himmler has informed me that King Leopold is one of those behind the attempt this past July on my life as well as a more recent attempt conspiring with Dr. Morell and others to have me poisoned. Accordingly it is necessary that he be dealt with in such a way as to ensure that others will understand once and for all the consequences of treason against the Reich. I want you personally to deal with this Herr Fegelein, do you understand me?” “Perfectly my Fuehrer,” said Fegelein a moment later. “Good,” said Hitler, “and Fegelein, I mean all of them!” “Again, I understand my Fuehrer,” Fegelein said. A few moments later Fegelein had left to complete his mission.

Alone in his office Hitler pondered his latest subterfuge. King Leopold III had served as a useful tool to help maintain order in Belgium while Germany occupied that nation. Now that control of that nation was effectively lost the King was no longer needed. Further, his elimination and that of his family would plunge the Belgian government into crisis, one that the Allies would have to take time to sort out. Disorder in Belgium would delay an Allied attack into the Reich allowing the Reich to strengthen its defenses.

Hitler settled back in his chair and began to consider an idea that had begun to occur to him in recent days, a plan that if all else failed would allow his beloved Reich to survive like the legendary phoenix.

xxxxxx

Fegelein?

The guy Hitler is yelling about in one of the Downfall comedy caption scenes?

Fegelein!! Fegelein!!

Last edited:
Errr... Does Fegelein mean the same as the Yiddish Fegele, namely 'gay'?

i have no Idea, have try to find out the origin of this family name, but nada on internet.
there is well a interesting fact on name Suffix "lein" that mean roughly translate: Little one
If this base on Yiddish Fegele, then Fegelein means: Little Gay :rolleyes:

I assume: lein - really mens "little" - Brüderlein, Schwesterlein would be uesed as little brother, little sister and signifies affection (sometimes also meant sarcastic)

fege(n) can mean "sweep"

But Fege can also have a base in "Schwertfeger" - that is someone who
does the final assembly of swords and daggers.

So Fegelein could be little armorerer ;)

OTOH if you see a hot girl you might tell your buddy: Look at that Heissen Feger. - so Fege is not really meaning gay ;)

altamiro

Banned
I assume: lein - really mens "little" - Brüderlein, Schwesterlein would be uesed as little brother, little sister and signifies affection (sometimes also meant sarcastic)

fege(n) can mean "sweep"

But Fege can also have a base in "Schwertfeger" - that is someone who
does the final assembly of swords and daggers.

So Fegelein could be little armorerer ;)

OTOH if you see a hot girl you might tell your buddy: Look at that Heissen Feger. - so Fege is not really meaning gay ;)

I think it is much simpler - both his name and the yiddish Fegele is a corruption of Vögelein (high German) / Vögele(Swabian dialect) meaning "little bird" or "birdie".

Geon

Donor
Very Brief Update

Here is a very brief update detailing the assassination of most of the royal family of Belgium.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Assassination and its Aftermath:
Gruppenfuhrer Fegelein arrived at Castle Hirchstein the next day, December 29, 1944 with a fully armed squadron of SS soldiers. King Leopold, his family, and most of his staff were herded into the courtyard. Fegelein then proceeded to read a prepared statement accusing Leopold of conspiring with the Allies to kill Hitler. Despite Leopold’s desperate pleas to the contrary Fegelein then proceeded to order the SS troops to open fire on Leopold and his family. Within moments the terrible deed was done. The bodies would be taken to a crematory where they would be burned and the ashes scattered on the Rhine River.

Later that day Josef Goebbels would speak by radio to both Germans and Belgians. He declared that King Leopold had been discovered to be arranging a deal with the Allies to kill Hitler in exchange for German territory to be ceded to Belgium after the war. Clear evidence had been discovered linking this treacherous King with both the July 22nd attack on Hitler and a more recent attempt to poison him with the complicity of Theodore Morell, Hitler’s former (now late) physician. As a result, King Leopold had been tried (which was a lie of course) and executed. Goebbels further went on to express the Fuehrer’s “deep regret” to the Belgian people that such a step was necessary and expressed his hope that they would reconsider the consequences of their actions in allowing soldiers whose leaders were willing to stoop to such terrible and uncivilized tactics to occupy their great nation.

The government-in-exile which had by this time returned to Belgium was thrown into complete shock by the ruthless assassination.

It might be interesting to have Goring memoirs and his account of the history of thwe events around WWII and the 3rd Reich to be publish after his death.

Finished reading it.

Honestly - I did not like it - really ;)

Why?

Its tone is quite dark.

The constant screaming of Nuke Germany, Morgenthau,... (Geon is not to blame for this)

If I condense my impression of the TL - its: revenge on Germany.

Nonetheless I got hooked on the whole thing - it was really well written.

Still there are some questions I have:

After the first biological attacks by Japan the US immediately retaliated with massed chemical warfare - did the US have those weapons in the necessary quantity and ready to be used on that short notice?

It seems that the US were the FIRST to use chemical weapons (Not counting Japanese in China). And they did it to civilians - now at the same time they blame the Germans for doing nothing but "the same" (later).

Why hasn't this led to controversy in later years?

And it looks quite strange that the Axis attacks are quite ineffectual while the Allies inflict losses in the millions count (again in the timeframe 1-2 months after hthe first attacks) - do they have the necessary materials available - and to they have it where they are needed?

And it looks quite strange that the Axis attacks are quite ineffectual while the Allies inflict losses in the millions count (again in the timeframe 1-2 months after hthe first attacks) - do they have the necessary materials available - and to they have it where they are needed?
This one's easy to explain. The allies had plenty of gas stockpiled and they had time to get it into position before the Carthage raids started. As for the disparity in casualties, the allies had hundreds and thousands of heavy bombers available with multi ton loads each, Germany had under a few dozen rockets with warheads under a ton. With thousands of times the ability to deliver attacks it's no wonder they are so much more effective

After the first biological attacks by Japan the US immediately retaliated with massed chemical warfare - did the US have those weapons in the necessary quantity and ready to be used on that short notice?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_raid_on_Bari

Chemical were stored, just in case...
It seems that the US were the FIRST to use chemical weapons (Not counting Japanese in China). And they did it to civilians - now at the same time they blame the Germans for doing nothing but "the same" (later).

Why hasn't this led to controversy in later years?
It will led to controversy, as city bombing in OTL, but it will be justified by the phrase "they started it".
The US use chemical first (if you don't count the japanese on chinese, why ?), but the Japanese start using biological weapon at first. US use of chemical is a retaliation.
The quantities differ. Germany launch a boat plus several air launch V1 against the US, plus V2 against other country. Just mosquitoes hit.
The allies drench cities under gaz with hundred bombers raid...

Status
Not open for further replies.