How many political ideologies exists in total numbers?

BenkeiDNA

Banned
I would like to get some citations of how many political ideologies exists in total numbers when you count all the different democratic, anarchistic etc variants altogether?, i would like to write this number in a paper i am doing, but i dont have the time to count the ones on this very long wiki page, has someone else counted them all?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_ideologies

I know there are alot of ideologies that most people havent heard about, but a number that is close to the real number would be nice for me to mention in the paper i am doing, so any help would be great. Maybe you guys know if the total amount of ideologies is in the hundreds or in the thousands?.

Last edited:
I'm not going to count them on your behalf but part of the problem is that the line in political ideology is a really fuzzy one, leading to a lot of messy boundaries and cross-hatching

The most accurate answer I can give you is "a lot".

Because it depends on what you define as a distinct ideology, so the count can vary from person to person.

I had the former in mind, but now that you mention it, it should be the latter.
I’ve looked into the research done by Population Reference Bureau, who believe that the amount of people, since our ancestors first walked the Earth; 50,000 years ago, puts the overall population at more than 108 billion members.

However there is no inclination about how many of these grew to an age to have an individual ideological stance and how many people have individually changed their political ideology and if so how many different ideologies these said people held.
For example Oswald Mosley, one person was associated to:
- Conservative Party (1918–1922)
- Independent (1922–1924)
- Labour Party (1924–1931)
- New Party (1931–1932)
- British Union of Fascists (1932–1940)
- Independent (1940–1948)
- Union Movement (1948–1973)
- National Party of Europe (1962–1980)

All different stances on different political spectrums.

I would like to get some citations of how many political ideologies exists in total numbers when you count all the different democratic, anarchistic etc variants altogether?, i would like to write this number in a paper i am doing, but i dont have the time to count the ones on this very long wiki page, has someone else counted them all?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_ideologies

I know there are alot of ideologies that most people havent heard about, but a number that is close to the real number would be nice for me to mention in the paper i am doing, so any help would be great. Maybe you guys know if the total amount of ideologies is in the hundreds or in the thousands?.

You want us to do your homework for you?

Do you guys know if the total amount of ideologies is in the hundreds or in the thousands?.

There isn't a number. Political ideologies aren't concrete things, they're abstractions meant to roughly summarize the beliefs of a person or group of people.

Is RandomExample-ism an ideology of its own, or a subcategory of Example-ism, or an umbrella category, etc. etc.? Who can say. The borders are fuzzy, "ideology" isn't a specific taxonomic level or whatever, and the whole point of designating them isn't to get a count, but to have a shorthand way of describing what people believe. Counting the bullet points on a Wikipedia page is objectively a worse answer to your question than just saying "a whole bunch of 'em".

i would like to write this number in a paper i am doing

Just say "a lot". Maybe "a plethora". You're teacher won't expect or want anything close to an exact number.