"Hipster" PMs and Presidents Thread

Wellstone has kind of done the opposite of falling down the memory hole. His only problem is that he hasn't been president in an actual Good timeline, just Headline/Photo/Sentence/Headline trash.

The same goes for Feingold, for that matter.

Japhy

Banned
Wouldn't he have been a spent force if he hadn't died, due to his MS diagnosis?
Long term yeah. His luck is that huge chunk of the nation had just learned a whole lot about MS thanks to Aaron Sorkin and if his case was the right kind he could have done at least well in a primary.

I was reminded of a vignette swapping the historic roles of Tony Blair and Jeremy Corbyn based on the fact that both were first elected to Parliament in 1983, so I hunted around for someone else like that. I might have found the single most inoffensive alternative to both in Sir Kevin Barron, MP from Rother Valley. He's 3 years older than Corbyn, allegedly was a member of Militant in his student days, then worked in the coal industry for 23 years before being elected to replace Peter Hardy, and since then has voted consistently with the Labour Party with some exceptions, Trident and Daesh being two recent ones, and also came out squeaky clean during the expenses scandal.

I was reminded of a vignette swapping the historic roles of Tony Blair and Jeremy Corbyn based on the fact that both were first elected to Parliament in 1983, so I hunted around for someone else like that. I might have found the single most inoffensive alternative to both in Sir Kevin Barron, MP from Rother Valley. He's 3 years older than Corbyn, allegedly was a member of Militant in his student days, then worked in the coal industry for 23 years before being elected to replace Peter Hardy, and since then has voted consistently with the Labour Party with some exceptions, Trident and Daesh being two recent ones, and also came out squeaky clean during the expenses scandal.
Do you have a link to that vignette?

If you want a Thatcherite who's not Thatcher, there's Keith Joseph. A lot of the right-wing Conservatives saw him as Heath's successor, but he made a rather critical speech in 1974 about how he wanted poor people to have fewer children. That speech undercut his support, and he ended up withdrawing before the leadership convention.

I got the most hipster president ever. William E. Simon, who was Treasury Secretary for just about 4 months when Nixon resigned. Due to his wreck of a mental state (i.e. Heavy drinking, paranoia, questionable descions ect) it is possible he does not appoint a VP. When he resigns, the next man in line is Speaker Carl Albert, but he never wanted to be President and resigns after taking the oath. Next is President Pro Tempre James Eastland. As a 70 year old man and with news of this shock and the pressure, he could have a fatal heart attack and die. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger cannot serve due to being born in Germany. Thus the presidency passes to Simon in the coarse of August 9, 1974.

This might sound a bit silly, but here's one: Huey Pierce Long.
I say he's hipster because nobody I know of has done a really good and well-researched President Long TL; most are just "oh, he's an evil dictator, hurdur."

I say he's hipster because nobody I know of has done a really good and well-researched President Long TL; most are just "oh, he's an evil dictator, hurdur."
That's not hipster. There have been many TLs with Long, but no good and successful ones solely dedicated to him. I'd say Emperor Julian's TL is the closest.

Japhy

Banned
There have been plenty of President Long time lines. Both of the dictatorship and apologetic kinds.

How about Henry Ford; he nearly became a Democratic Senator in 1918 for Michigan (losing by less than two-percentage points or 4,500 votes in a Republican midterm victory year.) He also entered into the Republican primary for that same race - so he could easily have won either party nomination and became the Senator for the state. I say he could have had a shot in either 1920 or 1932 for the Presidency.

Japhy

Banned
How about Henry Ford; he nearly became a Democratic Senator in 1918 for Michigan (losing by less than two-percentage points or 4,500 votes in a Republican midterm victory year.) He also entered into the Republican primary for that same race - so he could easily have won either party nomination and became the Senator for the state. I say he could have had a shot in either 1920 or 1932 for the Presidency.
Ford is over done but it's a more interesting way to go about it then is usually mentioned.

That's more a mater of personal taste then fact. This community shits on every published AH.

I mean that it's dreadfully unrealistic. You might get Lindbergh to win with a perfect storm, but in the book, he wins every state but Maryland! Come on! If it were like a nightmare, fine, but it's not!