"Hipster" PMs and Presidents Thread

Well alternatively he could be a better German politician if the Kapp putsch suceeds, he was actually made the minister for Information after using his charisma on Kapp and met Hitler during it.

Didn't he also declare himself the Dalai Lama & lead a Nazi expedition to find Changra-La?

Didn't he also declare himself the Dalai Lama & lead a Nazi expedition to find Changra-La?

Yes with regards to the former, the Japanese was okay with him doing so and he attempted to leverage the position to meet Hitler again who eventually ordered his death after receiving a letter asking him to denounce the Holocaust.

Not so sure about the latter one.

Last edited:
John Chafee -Political Family and former Marine in both WWII and Korea. With a stronger Liberal GOP would make a good candidate. I could see him as a good VP for Nixon in 68 to help him appeal to North Eastern Liberal establishment of the GOP

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
To cut through a bone, the candidates and possible candidates of 2005 spring sharply in my mind as Hipster.

-David Davis. I think Daltonia did or is doing something with him.
-Liam Fox.
-Ken Clarke (Though he is borderline; he's one of those names that springs up, but no one actually does anything with him).
-Alan Duncan.
-Tim Yeo.
-Malcom Rifkind (He was running until he dropped out in favour of Ken).
-Edward Leigh (Cornerstone were expected to back him, but instead went for Fox).
-Theresa May (again, borderline. When I used her in Großbritannien, she was pretty Hipster, but then she went and actually became the fucking Prime Minister).
-George Osborne (became hipster quite recently, actually).
-Andrew Lansley.
-Oliver Letwin.
-David Willetts.

@Milo,

I'm all for greater John Chaffee usage. Might be interesting to rework 1980 with him (and figuring this out would be the key -- he was to the left of Bill Clinton on several things but remained a Republican his whole career where others bolted) in the Anderson role. With his gravitas for Schlesinger types, his liberalism for Teddy-backers, and his good-soldier liberal Republicanism for Anderson Republicans, he could stay viable longer where Anderson finally faded on the wasted-vote principle (kept aloft in the end by liberals in the Northeast protest-voting against Carter.)

Another one for the American batch:
Jim Hunt -- his tragically close run at Jesse Helms in '84 was the first political campaign in which I was personally involved (interesting way to spend puberty, invested in a Senate race.) Had he won, he'd have had the two-term-governor-first-term-senator resume to go with his major pull within the newly minted Democratic Leadership Council. Could make a run as the Southern candidate in '88 instead of Gore, certainly on the shortlist of any non-Southerner for the VP pick. That would elevate him in a presidential direction by the Nineties.

@Yes
Hmm I hadn't thought of 1980 with Chafee. I think for it to work Connally needs to do better and stoip the story of him buying the vote and maybe if Jack Kemp enters and splits the Reagan vote. Chafee I can see dominating the North East and more moderate swing states and picking others depending on the Mo and how the vote splits. In this scenario I imagine Chafee/Kemp ticket and maybe Bush promised Secretary of State for his support

Also has anybody ever done anything with Estes Kefauver - with a bit of luck at the convetion and if the nominee if Taft I'm confident he could win

It could be fun to play with the tropes of A Very British Coup with Mullin himself.
Now that is a TL I'd like to see. Mullin is an interesting figure, on the left but far more wily and pragmatic than most of those who share his views. I could see him playing a Mandelsonesque behind the scenes role in a hard left Labour leadership.

I've been reading Edward Heath's autobiography Because Reasons, and I stumbled across the figure of Nigel Nicolson. The son of a former Labour MP, he was a Tory in the 50's, and a very socially liberal one to boot. He stepped down in 1959, and dedicated the rest of his life to writing. Perhaps he could be a figure in an earlier Macmillan premiership.

Also has anybody ever done anything with Estes Kefauver - with a bit of luck at the convetion and if the nominee if Taft I'm confident he could win

Doubt it. He was too hated by the party bosses for exposing their corruption and any Republican, even Bob Taft, is gonna win in 1952.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
I've been reading Edward Heath's autobiography Because Reasons, and I stumbled across the figure of Nigel Nicolson. The son of a former Labour MP, he was a Tory in the 50's, and a very socially liberal one to boot. He stepped down in 1959, and dedicated the rest of his life to writing. Perhaps he could be a figure in an earlier Macmillan premiership.
His issue seemed to be that he went against the grain of the Constituency Party, which was what forced him out. It looks like he'd of been the kind of man happier in the Liberals.

His issue seemed to be that he went against the grain of the Constituency Party, which was what forced him out. It looks like he'd of been the kind of man happier in the Liberals.
Speaking of, Ted says that he was a fan of the Liberals in his youth, but he joined the Tories because they were in a dismal state at that time. He also attended a TUC conference.

Possibilities, possibilities...

Japhy

Banned
Speaking of, Ted says that he was a fan of the Liberals in his youth, but he joined the Tories because they were in a dismal state at that time. He also attended a TUC conference.

Possibilities, possibilities...
Give him one Professor who keeps him after class one time and you get a site that's incredibly pissed off at a good idea!

Sam Houston. He ran for president in 1860 for the Constitutional Union nomination, then he ran under the People's party banner, but he dropped out in August. Also, he was a figure in the 1852 DNC