Hippo farming in the USA?

Given the size and aggressiveness of Hippos, I'm gonna say this isn't happening. Too expensive in too many respects to ever pan out.

Cook

Banned
"Hippy farming in the USA"
spike08.jpg

"I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move."

Hippopotamuses are extremely aggressive and can kill a human with little effort. It's not something one would deliberately want to introduce, much less "farm".

katchen

Banned
Hippos are spreading in Colombia's Magdalena Basin because some drug kingpin brought them in and some got loose. They could be useful for eating and controlling water hyacinth and provide a lot of meat, obviously, but hiippos kill more people in Africa than any other animal, maybe including Nile Crocodiles.

BlondieBC

Banned
It would not be farming, but something between Ranching and hunting of wild game. It could conceptually work, you would dump in the large swamps of Louisiana and a few other locations. You would need to constantly harvest any near the edge of the swamp zone, and periodically harvest the core of the herd. If you look at land near places like Venice, LA; it might well work better than building levees that protect cows. At least conceptually. The side effects of a massive hippo herds in the Mississippi delta.