Herald for Hire

I've just been playing with heraldry, and thought I'd offer my services if anyone wants an image of a coat of arms made, I'd be more than happy to give it a whirl. Here's one I just made for the USA:

usa.jpg

How about something for a union of Norway and England

Can do, but I'd need some more info. Through which king was the union established, England or Norway? And in what year was the union. Norway's arms haven't changed much since the mid 13th century, but England's changed with each new dynasty.

Can do, but I'd need some more info. Through which king was the union established, England or Norway? And in what year was the union. Norway's arms haven't changed much since the mid 13th century, but England's changed with each new dynasty.

OK, I think I have a way of doing this:

Phillippa was the youngest daughter of Henry Bolingbroke, or Henry IV of England. She married Eric of Pomerania, King of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Henry of Monmouth, later Henry V was intended to be married to Eric's sister Catherone. Queen Margaret, the Nordic regent didn't want to involve the Kalmar Union in an alliance that could drag them into the Hundred Years war, so this wedding never happened. But if it had, there is a possibility that a child from this marriage could become king of England, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. Hmmm... this is shaping up to be a timeline I should write. Anyway, with this POD, here's what the Grand Kingdom of the North's coat of arms could look like:

Argent a cross voided Gules, in the first quarter, parted quarterly, in the first and fourth quarters Azure three fleur-de-lies Or, in the second and third quarters Gules three lions passant gardant in pale Or armed and langued Azure, in the second quarter Or three lions passant in pale Azure crowned and armed Or langued Gules, nine hearts Gules, in the third quarter Azure three sinisterbendwise streams Argent, a lion crowned with an open crown Or armed Gules, in the fourth quarter Gules a lion rampant Or, crowned and bearing an axe with blade Argent, the inescutcheon Azure four crowns in square Or.

The arms is based on that of the monarchs of teh Kalmar Union, and is for the ATL king, son of Henry V and Catherine. It has quarters for the four kingdoms (England, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway), with the symbol of the Kalmar Union modified for four kingdoms rather than the OTL three.

north kingdom.png

Last edited:
OK, I think I have a way of doing this:

Phillippa was the youngest daughter of Henry Bolingbroke, or Henry IV of England. She married Eric of Pomerania, King of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Henry of Monmouth, later Henry V was intended to be married to Eric's sister Catherone. Queen Margaret, the Nordic regent didn't want to involve the Kalmar Union in an alliance that could drag them into the Hundred Years war, so this wedding never happened. But if it had, there is a possibility that a child from this marriage could become king of England, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. Hmmm... this is shaping up to be a timeline I should write. Anyway, with this POD, here's what the Grand Kingdom of the North's coat of arms could look like:

Argent a cross voided Gules, in the first quarter, parted quarterly, in the first and fourth quarters Azure three fleur-de-lies Or, in the second and third quarters Gules three lions passant gardant in pale Or armed and langued Azure, in the second quarter Or three lions passant in pale Azure crowned and armed Or langued Gules, nine hearts Gules, in the third quarter Azure three sinisterbendwise streams Argent, a lion crowned with an open crown Or armed Gules, in the fourth quarter Gules a lion rampant Or, crowned and bearing an axe with blade Argent, the inescutcheon Azure four crowns in square Or.

The arms is based on that of the monarchs of teh Kalmar Union, and is for the ATL king, son of Henry V and Catherine. It has quarters for the four kingdoms (England, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway), with the symbol of the Kalmar Union modified for four kingdoms rather than the OTL three.

Very interesting but I was thinking more of a England/Norway union that came about due to Harald Hardrada's invasion of 1066 being sucessful

Very interesting but I was thinking more of a England/Norway union that came about due to Harald Hardrada's invasion of 1066 being sucessful

The problem with that is that heraldry didn't come into use until the mid 12th century. There isn't anything to base what an Anglo-Norwegian arms would look like until then, and for that I'd need a time line of some kind.

The problem with that is that heraldry didn't come into use until the mid 12th century. There isn't anything to base what an Anglo-Norwegian arms would look like until then, and for that I'd need a time line of some kind.

Fair enough, the TL in question is only up to 1085 or so at the moment

VT45

Banned
Well, if that's the ruling house, that would be the arms. Ireland's current arms is Azure, a harp Or stringed Argent. Were you thinking some kind of combination of those two?

Yeah, something along those lines.

Really? I'd love one for New Albion, which is soon going to reappear, new and improved, and hopefully put on the timeline forum.

New Albion is an independent nation stretching along the west coast of North America from the Bering Straits to just north of Los Angeles. It was formed by the union of the former British colonies of
(1) New Caledonia ( OTL Alaska, northern British Columbia and the Yukon),
(2) British Columbia (OTL southern BC and northern Washington state)
(3)Ouragan ( southern Washington and Oregon),
(4)New Carolina (California minus LA south), and
(5) the former British Protectorate of the Kingdom of Hawayee, now the Province of Hawayee.

The Pacific coast was claimed by Britain after they drove out Russia and Spain for control of the sea otter fur trade, and the early colonies were settled by United Empire Loyalists after the American Revolution, where the Americans took over all of Eastern North America including Canada/Quebec.
Hawayee was added later to protect it from take over by Americans.

The National Animal is the sea otter, the National Tree is the Douglas fir, national colors are dark green and sea blue.(darker than sky, lighter than royal ;) )

The flag will be like the old Canadian Ensign, with the Union Jack in the top-left corner, a light blue background, and the shield from your coat of arms.

Thanks!

Last edited: