Henry viii and Catherine parr have a son

VVD0D95

Banned
I don't see why not it offers support for the Protestant Scots, closes England's back door and prevents Mary from marrying a Catholic foreign Prince - In the 1540s anti-English sentiment and a largely still Catholic Scotland was less willing - this time round you have the Protestant nobles propped up by English cash, A Catholic Queen with little political experience, concerned about her status and adrift after the loss of her French husband. The English King might well offer her the safe harbour she wants and the Scots get what they want - an absentee monarch allowing them to effectively argue among themselves and do as they please.
We don't know of course whether Henry IX is going to be as stubborn and religiously zealous as his siblings Edward and Mary or as pragmatic but indecisive as his sister Elizabeth - all of them were of course pretty tyrannical in their father's mode. If he is nearer Elizabeth then Mary's Catholicism might not be the issue it would have been for Edward VI for example.
Alright interesting. Would Henry propose the marriage himself around the late 1550s? Or perhaps do it as the settlement for war?

Mary will be sought after by other Catholics, even if she's a bit long in the tooth. It would be nice to see her married out of England, where she won't have to worry about what bright idea her father will have next!
Marrying her off to a foreign catholic monarch, allows that monarch to give claim to the throne of England, should he and Mary have a son, similar to King Philip II. The best thing for the country would be to marry Mary off to one of Henry's oldest allies such as:

- William Parr, (1st Marquess of Northampton, 1st Earl of Essex and 1st Baron Parr), brother of the Queen consort, Catherine Parr, current wife of Henry VIII, has had his first marriage annulled by an Act of Parliament, with Lady Anne Bourchier's children (by her lover) being declared bastards. Parr was able to obtain his ex-wife's lands and titles, being created Earl of Essex.
He was Edward VI's 'beloved uncle' and one of the most important men at Edward's court, so would gain the blessing from King Edward VI to become a brother-in-law.
- Henry Clifford, 2nd Earl of Cumberland, his first wife, was Lady Eleanor Brandon, a niece of King Henry VIII. She died in September 1547
- Edward Hastings, 1st Baron Hastings of Loughborough, son of the fourth son of George Hastings, 1st Earl of Huntingdon. Has not married Joane Harrington daughter of John Harrington of Bagworth, Leicestershire
- John Bourchier, 2nd Earl of Bath, has been widowed twice
- Thomas Cheney, ambassador to France, whose first wife died in 1528
- William Brooke, 10th Baron Cobham, son of George Brooke, 9th Baron Cobham. 11 years her juior is seen by some as a religious radical.

I personally like the idea of William Parr and Princess Mary.

William Parr is out of the question for Mary - firstly William Parr had cast off Anne Bourchier but had been living with Elizabeth Cobham for years - they secretly and illegally married but his annulment very nearly didn't happen and it was only the support of Dudley that it finally got through enabling him and Elizabeth Cobham to legally wed - after Mary took the throne she stripped Parr of everything and ordered him to return to his first wife who was Mary's friend and lady in waiting - it was only Elizabeth's accession that enabled them to get back together again because she was fond of both Parr and Elizabeth Cobham. So I think you can rule him out - the evidence suggested he was devoted to her.

VVD0D95

Banned
With regards to relations between Edward, Henry and their sisters, would it be sensible to think that Edward during his time as King might bring his sisters to court, to keep a closer eye on them? Especially, with Catherine Parr there, to perhaps play the role of mediator in any disputes that might arise?

I'm beginning to think that not marrying Mary off is the wisest course.
I doubt there's a local noble who's both high enough for her but weak enough not to threaten the throne with Catholic usurpation.
Clearly Elizabeth will now be the desirable catch

VVD0D95

Banned
I'm beginning to think that not marrying Mary off is the wisest course.
I doubt there's a local noble who's both high enough for her but weak enough not to threaten the throne with Catholic usurpation.
Clearly Elizabeth will now be the desirable catch

Interesting, so shipping her off somewhere?

I wouldn't bother marrying her off at all unless you financially wish to reward a very loyal courtier (and even then it is a risk) - despite their illegitimacy Elizabeth and Mary were left substantial assets as long as they didn't marry without the council's consent. With no Henry VIII around then Catherine Parr is freed from any attempt at moderation in religion - so she is probably going to be much more pro-reform as Crammer and Edward VI were - whilst she was kind to both Mary and Elizabeth - Mary was difficult during Edward's reign and had Edward lived I could quite easily see him locking Mary up for her persistent in sticking to her faith. With a clear and obvious successor there is less reason to keep Edward from his siblings so I suspect Edward, Henry and Elizabeth spend more time together. Mary remains in the country for much of her time - whilst her brother's are alive she isn't much of a threat given that her brother's are absolutely legitimate and no-one is going to think they stand a chance unless Henry's reign collapses for any reason. I can also see her dying pretty much on schedule so she isn't going to even see out Henry's minority.

VVD0D95

Banned
Interesting, so would we see a huge move toward Puritanism j stead of Anglicanism?

And hmm perhaps though the Howard's were very loyal no?

There's just no practical solution to see Mary married. She won't wish to marry a reformer, and a Catholic lord (or Prince) is out of the question. And at some point, even the candidates would shy away from this rapidly aging, obstinate woman. Mary's life would just become a series of constant battles over who attends (i.e. keeps watch over) her. She'd be under a discreet form of house arrest most likely. With Reform in the air, Elizabeth would be the focus of all the eligible bachelors.

On the one hand, the Howards always managed to stay loyal enough to avoid being an outright threat. On the other, with no Queen Mary, there's no impulse toward a middle way like that established by Elizabeth. My suspicion is some sort of persecution at some point is almost inevitable, but whether mild (a semi-official air of Catholics "need not apply" slowly taking hold) or harsh really depends on events. If the reformers stick to punishing only actual treason while tolerating "loyal" Catholics, the result would be discrimination (probably). Attempts to change hearts and minds runs the risk of turning Catholics (and the other dissenters who are just around the corner) into a hard to deal with opposition.

VVD0D95

Banned
Slight tangent, say Edward has a twin brother, would we see similar things happening as are discussed in this thread?

A twin brother just makes Mary and Elizabeth even less likely to succeed. The council or the Protector would do well to keep them together and educate them both.